Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Links234 wrote: »
    Thank **** Cruz is out.

Agreed. Sadly Hillary "Goldman Sachs/Hey let's depose another dictator, what could possibly go wrong?" Clinton is almost certainly in. Overall I'm not sure the world will be massively safer.

In response to their guy biting the dust many Cruz supporters have been burning their Republican membership cards in frustration at the general election choice available to them i.e. Trump vs (barring a major upset) Clinton.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-nomination-republicans-burn-their-voter-registration-cards-in-protest-after-ted-cruz-a7012381.html

It will be interesting to see if on the left many Sanders supporters do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Christy42 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot about Trump having policies for the common man. I have yet to see those policies (aside from a wall which has been established to be a stupid plan).

Ending trade deals that only benefit big business and result in jobs, tax revenue and capital flowing overseas, ending illegal immigration(and the wage depression it creates).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ending trade deals that only benefit big business and result in jobs, tax revenue and capital flowing overseas, ending illegal immigration(and the wage depression it creates).

Every candidate is against illegal immigration.

The argument is over what should count as legal immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Every candidate is against illegal immigration.

The argument is over what should count as legal immigration.

Illegal immigration was a taboo talking point until Trump addressed it, only after seeing the surge in support for anti-illegal immigration policies did the other candidates 'adopt' some immigration control policies of any sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Custardpi wrote: »
    Agreed. Sadly Hillary "Goldman Sachs/Hey let's depose another dictator, what could possibly go wrong?" Clinton is almost certainly in. Overall I'm not sure the world will be massively safer.

As much as I dislike Hillary Clinton (she's awul. Hates America :p), she's preferable to Trump. While he's a step-up from Cruz who wanted to bomb Isis, but couldn't even say where he wanted to bomb, the position of "we gotta take out their families" and yay waterboarding, torture is good, **** the Geneva convention isn't exactly great either. Cruz is an evangelical dominionist, and would like to turn the states into a theocracy, but again I'm not sure Trump's gonna be much better, he does present a danger to freedom of speech as he desires to change libel laws so that he can sue newspapers who say things he doesn't like. That and his rhetoric against protestors, what freedom of assembley?

It'd be like if Denis O'Brien ran for taoiseach. Now there's a terrifying thought.

Trump's views on economic issues are stupid at best, at worst they are lies he's told gullible people to get their support. The thing is that many jobs are lost due to automation, and for all his bluster, they are never coming back. China, illegal immigration, and what have you make for good scapegoats, that's all. To put it in local terms, supermarkets are putting in self-service checkouts to replace cashiers, and those jobs unforunately are gone.

Here is how the nominees would map to Irish faces imo.

Ted Cruz -> Ronan Mullen
    Trump -> Lucinda Creighton (except somehow liked)
    Hillary -> Frances Fitzgerald
    Sanders -> Ruairí Quinn

timmyntc wrote: »
    Illegal immigration was a taboo talking point until Trump addressed it, only after seeing the surge in support for anti-illegal immigration policies did the other candidates 'adopt' some immigration control policies of any sort.

Pretty sure being against the law being broken is the default. The only candidate who has said anything different was Trump suggesting his supporters punch people. I haven't seen any anti robbery policies, I assume the candidates are against by default.

Seriously even the leftist of the left is against illegal immigration. They just want more liberal laws about legal immigration.

Have to say that the thought of an isolationist America (only coming out to bomb a terrorist's family) is a scary one.

Oh and just when you thought Mr. definitely not a swarm of locusts in a skin suit couldn't get any more awkward:

https://twitter.com/NowThisGIF/status/727662377072742402

Pretty sure being against the law being broken is the default. The only candidate who has said anything different was Trump suggesting his supporters punch people. I haven't seen any anti robbery policies, I assume the candidates are against by default.

Seriously even the leftist of the left is against illegal immigration. They just want more liberal laws about legal immigration.

Have to say that the thought of an isolationist America (only coming out to bomb a terrorist's family) is a scary one.

Only Sanders is literally inviting them onstage with him....

• Advertisement

Only Sanders is literally inviting them onstage with him....

His point is that they should have been allpwed immigrate legally. At which point they wouldn't be illegal...

As I said it is about the definition of legal that the issues arise. Trump wants tighter restrictions, there Sanders is saying he wants looser. Calling it a policy on illegal immigration is an attempt to shift what the issue is. You don't call a policy on taxes a policy on tax evasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh and just when you thought Mr. definitely not a swarm of locusts in a skin suit couldn't get any more awkward:

https://twitter.com/NowThisGIF/status/727662377072742402

Does he have to do that in public? I mean I have no problem with his homosexual acts when done in private but nobody wants to see him riding another man in public, probably found the other man in a public toilet. They dont call it "cruzing" for nothing.

I'm not a homophobe, I have a gay friend. I just don't want children being brainwashed by the homo agenda.

Does he have to do that in public? I mean I have no problem with his homosexual acts when done in private but nobody wants to see him riding another man in public, probably found the other man in a public toilet. They dont call it "cruzing" for nothing.

I'm not a homophobe, I have a gay friend. I just don't want children being brainwashed by the homo agenda.

You probably know this already, but the fact that's his dad makes the above post all the more shudder-inducing.

politifact%2Fphotos%2Fcruzanddadnytpft.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhh....

John Kasich is out.

A resounding "Who?" can be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

...less of a bouleversement of the party's establishment rule than simply the fact that said establishment, seeking to pander to movement conservatism has effectively been sending out Trump-like signals on a range of issues for years. Trump can thus be seen as the creation of many of the party who now are desperately trying to stop him.
    I think that's stretching it a bit.The political establishment in the US, most of the US media (and even more so the European media) all sent out the cues that Trump was a joke candidate, and only in the race to provide some light entertainment.This thread is another example of that.
    Now they have been proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

recedite wrote: »
    I think that's stretching it a bit.The political establishment in the US, most of the US media (and even more so the European media) all sent out the cues that Trump was a joke candidate, and only in the race to provide some light entertainment.This thread is another example of that.

They have? Who was meant to win in the over saturated contest, The doctor that took tax plans from the bible? The former CEO who made her company worth more by leaving? The zodiac killer who hates gay people? Please clap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

They sent out signals that he personally was a joke candidate yes, but Trump represents the culmination of years of right wing media talking points on everything from gun control to immigration, whereby any compromise at all was seen as a surrender to sinister liberal forces. Being anti-government in & of itself became de rigeur for both the Tea Party wing of the Republicans & many in the wider party.

The end result was millions of ginned up Americans, who combining this rhetoric with stagnating wages & the industrial decline were ready for a demagogue. The old GOP establishment, having helped lay the groundwork for his candidature without realising it are now discovering that the signals sent out about Trump personally were trumped by the "down with government" rhetoric they themselves had been sending out for years so that Trump could turn that anti-establishment sentiment around & quite rightly describe Romney, Cruz, Graham & all the rest as phonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They have? Who was meant to win in the over saturated contest, The doctor that took tax plans from the bible? The former CEO who made her company worth more by leaving? The zodiac killer who hates gay people? Please clap?

The guy who promotes himself best by saying "I'm handsome" and "I'm rich"
    is the one who won.

It's a bizarre election, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They sent out signals that he personally was a joke candidate yes, but Trump represents the culmination of years of right wing media talking points on everything from gun control to immigration, whereby any compromise at all was seen as a surrender to sinister liberal forces. Being anti-government in & of itself became de rigeur for both the Tea Party wing of the Republicans & many in the wider party.
    If that is the case, then the GOP elders failed to recognise their Messiah when he finally arrived. Probably the main reason for this apparent failure (or refusal) to recognise him as a winner is that Trump is less controllable than your average candidate. He keeps pointing this out himself, and the public like him all the more for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

If he wins, he's a joke, if he loses, he's a joke. The only question is what kind of humour the joke is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It has come up the last couple of Elections I followed and I'm sure before that too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That was part of the problem, Cruz and others had to move further to the right and nationalism to out Trump him, everybody was too afraid to go after him because be was building up the momentum.

Clinton can go straight at him and also appeal to the middle and left. The GOP has the Koch Bros. digging up dirt (though I don't think they are big fans of Donald), the Democrats also have formidable groups who'll be digging up dirt on Trump.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Snopes looks into the claim that the three Republican Speakers of the House who were involved with the impeachment of Bill Clinton in 1998 subsequently had sex scandals of their own. The claim is "mostly accurate":

http://www.snopes.com/republican-impeached-clinton-scandal/

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Trumps dirt is all out there though. By the time the election rolls around it will be old hat. Sanders has hit Hillary hard on policy issues and her cosying up with the banks. Trump will do that somewhat too but Benghazi will be back on the agenda as will the way she treated Lewinski and other women who were eh, friendly with Bill. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to dig up the rape cover up story and get some traction with it too. Trump and his team are going to hit Clinton hard with women. They have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any woman that votes for Trump is nuts! The man said he'd date his daughters if he wasn't related to them! Even if US is stupid enough to elect this guy, you think the rest of the world'll want anything to do with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Igotadose wrote: »
    Even if US is stupid enough to elect this guy, you think the rest of the world'll want anything to do with him?

Do Kerry voters care what anyone else thinks about Healy-Raes? Tipperary/Lowry? Etc.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Do Kerry voters care what anyone else thinks about Healy-Raes?
    Behold, the political life cycle of a Healy-Rae:

385242.jpg

Qs wrote: »
    Trumps dirt is all out there though. By the time the election rolls around it will be old hat. Sanders has hit Hillary hard on policy issues and her cosying up with the banks. Trump will do that somewhat too but Benghazi will be back on the agenda as will the way she treated Lewinski and other women who were eh, friendly with Bill. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to dig up the rape cover up story and get some traction with it too. Trump and his team are going to hit Clinton hard with women. They have to.

Don't think Trump will make a big deal about Bill, his first divorce from Ivana was a bit messy shall we say.

385398.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Bit of a red-herring really - it's a broken political system, paired with backwards economic views being mainstream (including in education), which paved the way for Trump - even well educated people are barely aware of the extent of that, and tend not to give a toss, so there will be more people like Trump, and pretty soon, as this wider problem isn't going away, and people are barely cognizant of it.

Advertisement