Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Thargor wrote: »
    Isnt the event generally referred to as 9-11 not 11-9? :confused:

I really don't like the US dating system. And sometimes I get all Grammar Nazi over it, especially when tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Fox's non-award winning resident idiot Bill O'Reilly thinks that christianity is on the decline because of rap music....yeah....
    He said: "There is no question that people of faith are being marginalized by a secular media and pernicious entertainment."

"The rap industry, for example, often glorifies depraved behavior. That sinks into the minds of some young people - the group that is most likely to reject religion."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I note that you fail to point out that Jindal in his official portrait is still signifcantly whiter, and incidentally has his facial features shaped to make him look more Caucasoid to boot, than in real life.
    Louisiana Breaks Off Trade Relations with Ireland

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/louisiana-breaks-off-trade-relations-with-ireland?mbid=social_facebook
    New Yorker wrote:
    BATON ROUGE (The Borowitz Report) – In the aftermath of Irish voters legalizing gay marriage, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has used his emergency powers to ban all Irish products from the state.

The sweeping trade sanctions will prevent popular Irish products, such as Jameson whiskey and Guinness Extra Stout, from being sold in Louisiana.

Jindal explained that breaking off trade with Ireland was necessary to protect the sanctity of marriage in Louisiana.

“Every time someone takes a sip of Guinness, a part of straight marriage dies,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jindal wrote:
    “Every time someone takes a sip of Guinness, a part of straight marriage dies,” he said.

I actually agree with this. In fact, it doesn't go far enough. Every time someone drinks Guinness, it's a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Every time someone drinks Guinness, it's a crime against humanity.

We'll have to agree to disagree.... as long as you can accept the non-negotiable position that you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

robindch wrote: »

This is a satire article though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

James74 wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree.... as long as you can accept the non-negotiable position that you're wrong.

You're oppressing me! I can't stand Guinness, so I don't see why anyone else should drink it. It's my belief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I actually agree with this. In fact, it doesn't go far enough. Every time someone drinks Guinness, it's a crime against humanity.

Fine, that's it, I'm going on a massive bender this weekend. Let those guys who are gay for girls (what do you call them anyways?) burn!

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

And to do that the US chose the wrong war. Who was it that trained, funded and provided the Al-Qaeda killers? Saudi Arabia, up to and including the top two families in that country the ibn Sauds and the bin Ladens.

While I've never held a candle for the Taliban, vile and vicious as they are, we have to remember two things, 1) 11-9 came at the wrong time for them, five days before they had smashed their only resistance, the equally bad Northern Alliance, and killed the only leader it had Masood. The last thing they needed was an act which would bring the US down on them. And 2) before 11-9 they wanted bin Laden dead more than the US did, he was seriously destabilising their security with his training camps and inflammatory rhetoric against the West and their Gulf allies. All the Taliban wanted was to be left alone to recreate their medieval "paradise" in the arid uplands of Afghanistan, they wanted no part of the rest of the world.

And one final point which should show you how little the Taliban had to do with bin Laden and the crime of 11-9-2001, they offered to track bin Laden down and hand him over to a neutral third party friendly to the US, likely Turkey, even before the US decided to invade. Shrub* rejected this out of hand, because he saw in the 11-9 attacks, not a crime to be avenged, but an opportunity to remake the world in his own image, starting with finishing the job pappa Bush failed to complete in '91.

*Don't underestimate Shrub, while no genius, nor even a clever man, he knew enough to know exactly what was going on, and if he wanted to could have easily thrown over those around him and impose his will directly.

I agree with this. Seldom named, never convicted, the biggest state sponsor of Muslim terrorism on the planet is Saudi Arabia. Not many realise that this place is what founded hardline, fascist version of 'Islam' that inspired copycat states from the late 1970s to date inclusive of the Taliban and right up to ISIS.

The 1996-2001 dictatorship in Afghanistan was certainly one of the worst regimes in history and the worst in the world at the time. But how much was the Taliban and how much was al Qaeda? Little reported fact is that 2 countries invaded Afghanistan in 1979: the USSR and ... Saudi Arabia. bin Laden got in there and set up shop. It was also a useful place for fanatics from Egypt and other places to go. Zawahiri for example. Many of their home countries were only too glad to facilitate their trip to Afghanistan and get them away. The Islam of the 1996-2001 regime was very Wahabbist and Arabised, very SAUDI in style! Only it looked much WORSE in a poor, wartorn land.

The Taliban, largely Afghan, were not as popularly reported just one blind set of sheep besotted with bin Laden and co. There were moderate voices who questioned Mullah Omar's Saudi Arabia-influenced theology. Omar himself was even getting sick of bin Laden's dangerous war games. Sure, they did not want a September 11 and that was detrimental to their cause. That event was done by, inspired by and backed by Saudis. Yet, a blind eye was turned.

Taliban Afghanistan had received a lot of poor images in the press. I am sure, 99% of these rules came via bin Laden who Omar had to deal with in win his wars. When Bush invaded, no one was saying no! It was marketed well and Saudi Arabia's name was kept out of things.

In 2002, Bush names 3 (or 4 depending on who you believe) states as 'Axis of Evil'. Saudi Arabia does not feature at all! Despite it doing ALL the things the other 3/4 were accused of! But Saudi had oil, was selling it cheap and was pretty much allowed to back terrorists and have the get out clause of denying all backings of such.

Bush wanted to get rid of Saddam's Iraq next (one of the listed 'Axis of Evil') and we all know what happened. There was no way he could connect Saddam to bin Laden really but they tried. Eventually, most saw through this.

You notice too how things changed with Bush early on saying his would be an apolitical, non-eventful presidency! The opposite to what really came to be. Bush always planned to topple Saddam but 9/11 gave him a golden opportunity.

I don't know what to do with Saudi Arabia. If they and the US became official enemies (which they should be only for the if!: they are the only Middle Eastern regime to inspire and maybe even support a major terrorist act on US soil), we would be talking a Mad Max style oil war that would leave the world in tatters. The West has become so dependent on Saudi oil and Saudi knows this and can do what they like. Iraq, Iran and others get the blame for what Saudi Arabia does. The US should wean itself off Saudi dependency. Make better friends with Iran and build up that country's oil reserves extraction would be one obvious move. Saudi has exploited the US' enemy status with rivals like Iran and Russia (2 countries who are saints compared to Saudi Arabia) very well.

ISIS today seem to have loads of money and guns. A blind eye is turned to them often with only Iraq and Iran doing anything about them. Where are ISIS getting their money? I'd put big money on the majority of that source coming from Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess then that if the USA is the world's policeman, Saudi Arabia is its drug dealer who it lets off scot-free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I do not think the Saudis are particularly pleased about Isis. Wahabism was always the cornerstone of their power in their own Kingdom, and now Isis has exported it and turned it into a militant, puritan kind of insurrectionism. If the are successful it will not be long before they set their sights on Saudi Arabia itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They'd be doing well to make any progress in Saudi Arabia, it having the notable advantages of not having been recently invaded by the US with a resulting destruction of social cohesion, infrastructure, and government, nor is there a civil war going on within it's borders.

True, but I bet there is plenty of discontent under the totalitarian rule Saudi royal house. I do not think it would be unthinkable for a revolution to start there, using religious reform as a way to get people to join together. Hell, that kind of puritan reformer movement ideology worked for the Saudis when they rose to power. They seem pretty firmly in control so far, but remember how nervous they were getting during the Arab spring? They had to spend 30 billion to keep their population quiet.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    I do not think the Saudis are particularly pleased about Isis. Wahabism was always the cornerstone of their power in their own Kingdom, and now Isis has exported it and turned it into a militant, puritan kind of insurrectionism. If the are successful it will not be long before they set their sights on Saudi Arabia itself.

This is the whole irony of the thing. Saudi Arabia has inspired, helped and funded ISIS's ancestors but are now faced with something they helped to form (exported Wahabism) becoming their biggest threat.

The standard approach of Saudi is to offer support to entities that weaken or preoccupy its rivals (Iran, Syria and to an extent Saddam's Iraq) but then cut them down/don't want anything to do with them when they threaten Saudi itself or its interests. This is what happened with al Qaeda and bin Laden when they moved from fighting the USSR to becoming international terrorists. No doubt, Saudi inspired these and there are sectors in it that fund this, but Saudi is not going to get itself caught up with the end product they helped create. They are more clever than that.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    True, but I bet there is plenty of discontent under the totalitarian rule Saudi royal house. I do not think it would be unthinkable for a revolution to start there, using religious reform as a way to get people to join together. Hell, that kind of puritan reformer movement ideology worked for the Saudis when they rose to power. They seem pretty firmly in control so far, but remember how nervous they were getting during the Arab spring? They had to spend 30 billion to keep their population quiet.

From 2009 to date (and especially in 2011), revolutions have swept through the Middle East with varying success. In ALL cases, either the ruling regime was toppled or had to compromise. Some fared better than others (Iran, Tunisia), some descended into chaos (Libya, Syria) and some were a mess ever before the 2009- revolutions (Iraq, Afghanistan). But Saudi Arabia held out altogether.

Unlike in some countries, I don't think somehow a revolution in Saudi Arabia would improve things. As repressive as the royal family there are, it would be al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and maybe ISIS who would take over and possibly go to war. Mad Max style scenario would result with oil shortages and severe recessions.

Perhaps, a revolution there would ironically start off aiming for more religious, social and economic freedoms but would result in the opposite once the terror groups would take over. A Mad Max style oil war between ISIS and al Qaeda controlled parts of Saudi Arabia would be the worst nightmare since near ALL our oil virtually comes from there. We need to bring Iran and other more moderate countries in from the cold and try and defeat ISIS before it is too late. I HOPE we do not see a revolution in Saudi Arabia not because I am a fan of the regime but because a worse regime that could seriously lead to at best a repeat of the 2008 recession and at worst a Mad Max world would emerge. Unlike Iran, most opposition movements in Saudi are hardline religious nutcases and again, unlike Iran, the people are less educated and more indoctrinated by the states (mis)interpretation of Islam.

An accusation of domestic violence made in court may have helped Bill O'Reilly lose custody of his kids:

http://gawker.com/bill-o-reilly-accused-of-domestic-violence-in-custody-b-1705006992

The alleged court transcripts are here:

http://gawker.com/court-transcripts-bill-o-reilly-s-daughter-saw-him-ch-1704717356

Custody comes in, custody goes out - you can't explain that!

robindch wrote: »
    An accusation of domestic violence made in court may have helped Bill O'Reilly lose custody of his kids:

But...but....but....I thought atheists were the ones that had no morals, not god-fearing christians like Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach.' It doesn't say that anywhere. The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work." - Montana businessman and likely gubernatorial candidate Greg Gianforte

Perhaps we can compromise on a retirement age of 575?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach.' It doesn't say that anywhere. The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work." - Montana businessman and likely gubernatorial candidate Greg Gianforte

Perhaps we can compromise on a retirement age of 575?

You've shown your true communist colours. There's no reason (apart from simple physics) why a man can't pull himself up by his own bootstraps and work until 600!

Ben Carson: Iowa Housing Discrimination Settlement Shows America Is Becoming Communist
    Last week, Mike Huckabee told Mickelson that the agreement, in which Dubuque has agreed not to discriminate in housing vouchers against people moving to the area from predominantly African American areas like Chicago and Milwaukee, amounted to “redistributing poverty.”

In an interview yesterday, Ben Carson also addressed the Dubuque agreement, saying it was reminiscent of “communist countries.”

Basically it's a predominantly white area. You can avail of the housing vouchers if you've already lived there (are white). Obviously all hell breaks loose when blacks try to move in, but there's nothing racist in it. Oh no.

The line: "there goes the neighbourhood" springs to mind. Nothing racist about that line either. :rolleyes:

Ben Carson is yet another Uncle Tom, along with Herman Cain and Allen West. There's many more.

Donald Trump has everyone* excited after announcing that he will be making an announcement on the 16th of June.
    “I would be the greatest jobs president that God ever created.”

“I would be strongest by far on security, because I’m very big into the military, very big into the vets.”

“That’s always a sign when people hate me: They say he wears a wig.”

Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, said Trump, have made “assholes” of themselves. The Republican field is filled with “clowns.”

As a Republican, you have to mention God and/ or Jesus as often as possible. Then there's the military of course. Trump was on Newstalk a couple of days ago, and he said that America needs to start stockpiling/ building up its weapons arsenal. Yawn. Same tired old sh*t, different face. Those quotes above could be from the lips of any of the shysters in the image below.

Funny that he should mention clowns, when the Rep field of hopefuls are regularly likened to a clown car.

gop%2Bclown%2Bcar.jpg

*Especially US comedians, and writers for shows like The Daily Show and Real Time with Bill Maher.

Maine governor, rep Paul LePage jokes about shooting dead a cartoonist. classy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/25/paul-lepage-cartoonist_n_7664744.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Somebody created a Chrome extension that adds ridiculous Donald Trump quotes to any mention of his name.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Apropos:

2015-07-08-Quantum-Trump.jpg

God fields yet another candidate for the Republican Party:

http://dcpols.com/scott-walker-im-running-because-its-gods-plan-for-me-to-be-u-s-president/
    DCPols wrote:
    Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker sent an email to his supporters on Monday describing his recently announced campaign for the White House as part of God’s plan. The 47-year-old second-term Republican governor said in a fundraising email sent by the “Scott Walker for America” campaign that his decisions were driven by his faith in God, reported the Right Wing Watch.

“My relationship with God drives every major decision in my life. Each day I pray and then take the time to read from the Bible and from a devotional named Jesus Calling,” the email said. “As you imagine, the months leading up to my announcement that I would run for president of the United States were filled with a lot of prayer and soul searching.”

“Here’s why: I needed to be certain that running was God’s calling – not just man’s calling. I am certain: This is God’s plan for me and I am humbled to be a candidate for President of the United States,” Walker said in the email.

The GOP presidential candidate went on to tout his anti-abortion record and decry the Supreme Court’s historic marriage equality ruling. “Our U.S. Constitution calls for freedom of religion, not freedom from religion,” he said. “The founders of this exceptional country took religious freedom very seriously and we must redouble our efforts to protect these freedoms today.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking forward to his follow up interpretation of Gods plan when he doesn't even get a nomination...

Advertisement