Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gbear wrote: »
    Surely as soon as Obama and Romney are seen side by side in a debate people will see what a lying, hypocritical flip-flopper Romney is?

It's going to be the cringe comedy hit of the autumn.

I mean, Obama is going to have plenty to defend himself on and having to dance around saying he made mistakes (because if a politician does that the droolers all assume that that means he's completely incompetent) but Romney has absolutely nothing. No leg to stand on.

It works in the Republican convention because it's a circle jerk and nobody tests him. As soon as he gets attacked I think he'll just crumble.

I'd imagine Romney will have to go out on the all out offensive and do a lot of topic changing when asked tricky questions. I mean, he's been exposed as a total liar in relation to many things. There's no way Obama and co. aren't going to open the skeleton closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jank wrote: »
    The answer is right there in black and white. It may not be to your satisfaction but it is an answer. Legitimacy is all subjective in this case. By all means dissagree with him, I know I do but not sure what the use is banging on the drum.

I hold myself to a certain level of expectation to question my beliefs, research them and see that they can be backed up with evidence around us. I read up arguments for and against and weigh up the strength of those arguments, as such if asked my opinion on gay marriage I could give it and then list off arguments to show WHY I hold that belief. I could even list the poor ones against I have met so far. And I'm a common joe soap, this guy is running for possibly the most powerful position in shaping the societies of the free world and he seemingly doesn't hold himself to the same expectations. No one should vote based on baseless opinion or emotion and they definitely shouldn't run for President on them. This "every belief is equal" thing has creeped into society and it's crap. It has stopped us demanding reason behind belief, especially when the belief is against such a basic human right as equality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

How about a reason rather than an opinion?

He gave his reason.... but as I said that reason may not be acceptable to you or other people. Do you want him to provide a mathematical proof? He is representing the views of his constituency which as you rightly put should be his priority.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Despite your protests the stock answer, "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman" still does not explain why gay couples should have less rights than gay ones, particularly in relation to the rights cited specifically by the vet in the video.

You answered your own question there I am afraid. He believes what he believes (I actually don't believe that he believes that as I think he is playing to his base) but no amount of "please explain what you mean" wont change any of that. Anyway who gives a ****, you live in ireland, I live in Australia. It is not going to change anything.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Grand so. We should never talk about anything ever again. In the spirit of leading by example, you go first.

Ah yes, take something I say, run a mile, collect some nice hay and start building..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

He gave his reason.... but as I said that reason may not be acceptable to you or other people. Do you want him to provide a mathematical proof? He is representing the views of his constituency which as you rightly put should be his priority.

Actually, he didn't give a reason, he dodged the question. When an American politician says "I believe X" it's code for "This is my religiously held belief, which is not open to question".

It would be more honest of Romney to say "I hold this position because of my faith", and allow people to put the question whether religion is a valid reason to deny gay people equal rights.

But just repeating "I believe" is a massive cop out.

Imagine he had said that he "believes" in economic policy X and then refused to say why, and simply repeated that he "believes" in it, would that be good enough for you?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I hold myself to a certain level of expectation to question my beliefs, research them and see that they can be backed up with evidence around us. I read up arguments for and against and weigh up the strength of those arguments, as such if asked my opinion on gay marriage I could give it and then list off arguments to show WHY I hold that belief. I could even list the poor ones against I have met so far. And I'm a common joe soap, this guy is running for possibly the most powerful position in shaping the societies of the free world and he seemingly doesn't hold himself to the same expectations. No one should vote based on baseless opinion or emotion and they definitely shouldn't run for President on them. This "every belief is equal" thing has creeped into society and it's crap. It has stopped us demanding reason behind belief, especially when the belief is against such a basic human right as equality.

Stopped us? You are sadly mistaken. We have never begun in the first place to ask for reason in the relation in sound policy and legislation. The words "reason", "rights" and "equality" are all subjective at their core sense and have been used as political fodder by ALL sides. Look where you are posting the above. Do you seriously think you are going to get a balanced well thought out discussion with the word "fruitcake" in the title thread? Do the posts and the terms of reference of this entire thread have "reason" as its motive? No, the whole purpose of this thread is to mock and in turn feel superior. A very human reaction all the same but not very "reasonable".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

swampgas wrote: »
    Actually, he didn't give a reason, he dodged the question. When an American politician says "I believe X" it's code for "This is my religiously held belief, which is not open to question".

It would be more honest of Romney to say "I hold this position because of my faith", and allow people to put the question whether religion is a valid reason to deny gay people equal rights.

But just repeating "I believe" is a massive cop out.

Imagine he had said that he "believes" in economic policy X and then refused to say why, and simply repeated that he "believes" in it, would that be good enough for you?
    Unfortunately you're wasting your time as jank's views on gay marriage are equally as retarded as Romney's.

Stopped us? You are sadly mistaken. We have never begun in the first place to ask for reason in the relation in sound policy and legislation. The words "reason", "rights" and "equality" are all subjective at their core sense and have been used as political fodder by ALL sides. Look where you are posting the above. Do you seriously think you are going to get a balanced well thought out discussion with the word "fruitcake" in the title thread? Do the posts and the terms of reference of this entire thread have "reason" as its motive? No, the whole purpose of this thread is to mock and in turn feel superior. A very human reaction all the same but not very "reasonable".

Can you stick to the point being made for 3 seconds without shifting the goal posts no? I'm not looking to discuss the thread title nor the merits of mocking people who do stupid things (well I could do both happily but there's a more pressing issue).

Do you think it's a positive thing for people to vote based on opinions they can provide no arguments for holding or not? This is the point being made.

People vote for all kinds of stupid economic policies, not least in Ireland. Remember we voted for Bertie's FF 3 times to put him into government in the belief that a government supported property boom and massive expenditure in the public sector was sustainable. Charlie McCrevey was shipped off to Europe because he wanted to put some brakes on government handouts and expenditure which led to bad local elections for FF. The Unions and the left screamed blue murder about the share of the "pie" being unfairly distributed. Well we couldn't have that now, money for everyone..... roll on 8 years and we are still paying for the mess. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you're wasting your time as jank's views on gay marriage are equally as retarded as Romney's.

I would at least appreciate a little bit of decorum here and if you actually spent a few minutes reading my comments on this very thread which I clearly state that I don't agree with Romney, you will understand that I have no issue with Gay marriage, but hey insults are easy and says more about the person posting them than the one receiving it.

Do you think it's a positive thing for people to vote based on opinions they can provide no arguments for holding or not? This is the point being made.

You are asking that we vote for people who are experts in an almost unfathomable amount of topics and subjects. Unfortunately we vote for humans not some robot or an entirely "logical" and "rational" being.

To prove this, tell me who you voted for in the last GE and I can easily find that this person holds an opinion or has done something that can be easily disputed by "experts" as not best practice. Its the nature of the world, Romney's answer is merely an example of this. I am actually astonished at the level of nativity on this matter by people who are meant to be worldly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Gbear wrote: »
    Surely as soon as Obama and Romney are seen side by side in a debate people will see what a lying, hypocritical flip-flopper Romney is?
    the winner in these debates are not decided by a panel of number crunchers who tot up the credibility of figures being quoted though; they're won on a range of things, including the personality of the speaker. don't think the debates will be conclusive; this election is unusual in that the percentage of swing voters is much lower than usual. so it will not be won by convincing the swing voters to vote, it will be won by getting the voters who have decided who their candidate is up and out to cast those votes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

you will understand that I have no issue with Gay marriage

If you say so. I'll just go ahead and pretend to believe you in the same way I pretend to believe you when you say you are not a christian.

People vote for all kinds of stupid economic policies, not least in Ireland. [...] People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

That may well be the case, but at least the people proposing those policies were prepared to give reasons why those policies were good. There was (and still is) plenty of room for debate on those policies, because the rationale behind them was open for debate.

We may have had lousy debates, and the rationales proposed may have been crazy, but at least we can review and see where me can improve things.

On the other hand, if a proposed economic policy was "set taxes and public spending in this particular way but don't ask why" then we're never going to get anywhere.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is pretty obvious - simply saying "I believe X" without giving reasons is dishonest. Romney wants to take a religious position but not actually acknowledge that that is what he's doing.

That may well be the case, but at least the people proposing those policies were prepared to give reasons why those policies were good. There was (and still is) plenty of room for debate on those policies, because the rationale behind them was open for debate.

Your kidding right. What was the reason we got from FF to vote for them in 2007? The never ending money tree where we can all be rich from selling an buying houses from each other? The great Irish Ponzi scheme?:)
    We may have had lousy debates, and the rationales proposed may have been crazy, but at least we can review and see where me can improve things.

On the other hand, if a proposed economic policy was "set taxes and public spending in this particular way but don't ask why" then we're never going to get anywhere.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is pretty obvious - simply saying "I believe X" without giving reasons is dishonest. Romney wants to take a religious position but not actually acknowledge that that is what he's doing.

So essentially you are agreeing with me but you hold someone else whom you don't agree with to a higher standard? Why is that?
    Who did you vote for in the last GE?

You are asking that we vote for people who are experts in an almost unfathomable amount of topics and subjects. Unfortunately we vote for humans not some robot or an entirely "logical" and "rational" being.

To prove this, tell me who you voted for in the last GE and I can easily find that this person holds an opinion or has done something that can be easily disputed by "experts" as not best practice. Its the nature of the world, Romney's answer is merely an example of this. I am actually astonished at the level of nativity on this matter by people who are meant to be worldly.

They have a better chance of being experts than I have as they can hire a team of advisors to become experts in these areas. Even expert is more than Im asking, just that they look to experts when making decisions. I, whose full time job is not trying to run a society, have had time to inform myself on a range of issues that Romney should have been able to too.
    Secondly (and importantly) society should be built on some basic human rights as default, equality one of them, so if Mr. Romney hasn't had time to research gay marriage he should default to the above with the clause that when he finds time to better his knowledge he will make his own informed opinion. To start out with no research and hold a default position of discrimination is surely mind boggling (unless he admits his belief is coloured by religion).

As for who I voted for, with a heavy heart I voted Fine Gael due to economic issues that I felt labour couldn't have forced through. Not that they've succeeded. I'd have preferred to vote for Labour's social policies and as for the particular member of Fine Gael I can't remember as I vote with the whip system in place and only write off nutty individuals or one's concerned with local issues above national important ones.

To be honest though I'm not happy to lower my expectation of politicians just because they so often falter so that point is rather moot.

They have a better chance of being experts than I have as they can hire a team of advisors to become experts in these areas. Even expert is more than Im asking, just that they look to experts when making decisions. I, whose full time job is not trying to run a society, have had time to inform myself on a range of issues that Romney should have been able to too.

We have plenty of appointed experts and quangos in Ireland. Anytime the issue of politically appointed experts are mentioned in Ireland the left come out with the same tired mantra of wasted money and large salaries. Cant win really. They want perfect government full of experts but unwilling to pay for it. Even at the nothing is gauranteed. Look at the department of finance, they are meant to be the cream of the crop of the Irish public sector but were woefully prepared for any economic crisis that befell Ireland. Also, I don't think the president is trying to run a society, we are talking about the USA here not communist China or Cuba.
    Secondly (and importantly) society should be built on some basic human rights as default, equality one of them, so if Mr. Romney hasn't had time to research gay marriage he should default to the above with the clause that when he finds time to better his knowledge he will make his own informed opinion. To start out with no research and hold a default position of discrimination is surely mind boggling (unless he admits his belief is coloured by religion).

As I said equality is subjective. The European Courts of Human rights for example doesn't recognise Gay Marriage as a "right". Neither does the Supreme court of the United states. If two of the most progressive legal systems in the world doesn't recongise it what does that say? Should I take your word for it over these Judges who would be "experts" in the legal system? Some people say that everyone has a right to a job, house, car etc. The word right is as I said brandished about without any thought of what it actually means. Usually as a political football and to make a moot point.
    As for who I voted for, with a heavy heart I voted Fine Gael due to economic issues that I felt labour couldn't have forced through. Not that they've succeeded. I'd have preferred to vote for Labour's social policies and as for the particular member of Fine Gael I can't remember as I vote with the whip system in place and only write off nutty individuals or one's concerned with local issues above national important ones.

So you cant remember who you vote for yet expect GOP voters to hold their candidate to a higher authority? :D The presidental process is similar to a whip system, just with more money, ticker tape and jazz. The GOP nomanie is generally conservative, anti-abortion, supposed to be fiscally conservative, religious, strong on defense, nationalistic, caters to the wealthy, for low taxes, usually against big government. Most of the GOP voters couldn't give a damm if there was a chimp running for the white house. If most of the boxes above are ticked they will tick the same box come polling day.
    Before anyone gets high and mighty, it is the EXACT same for the democrats.
    To be honest though I'm not happy to lower my expectation of politicians just because they so often falter so that point is rather moot.
    Agreed.

Your kidding right. What was the reason we got from FF to vote for them in 2007? The never ending money tree where we can all be rich from selling an buying houses from each other? The great Irish Ponzi scheme?:)

I don't really get what your point is here. Are you saying that politicians shouldn't bother to give reasons why they think their policies are worthy of support? That seems to be what you are driving at anyway.

I don't really get what your point is here. Are you saying that politicians shouldn't bother to give reasons why they think their policies are worthy of support? That seems to be what you are driving at anyway.

They can give what ever reason they want, just like Romney gave his reason for being anti gay marriage. All I same saying is that because one reason is a belief which may stem from a religious dogma and the other reason is based on economic journals doesn't automatically mean that the latter is superior. It may well might be but its not guaranteed. As for the economics themselves well did you ever hear of the term, "economists have predicted 7 out of the last 3 recessions". People will disagree regardless, its in our nature.

• Advertisement

They can give what ever reason they want, just like Romney gave his reason for being anti gay marriage. All I same saying is that because one reason is a belief which may stem from a religious dogma and the other reason is based on economic journals doesn't automatically mean that the latter is superior. It may well might be but its not guaranteed. As for the economics themselves well did you ever hear of the term, "economists have predicted 7 out of the last 3 recessions". People will disagree regardless, its in our nature.

Except Romney didn't say that he was against gay marriage because of his religious beliefs, he just said that he "believed" that marriage is between a man and a woman. He didn't back that belief up with anything at all - not with some sort of rational argument, nor with religious doctrine. That's not really acceptable when debating public policy.

Now, you and I both know that religion is the likely cause of his opposition to gay marriage, so why doesn't he just say so? Is he embarrassed to admit that his religion is anti-gay?

Except Romney didn't say that he was against gay marriage because of his religious beliefs, he just said that he "believed" that marriage is between a man and a woman. He didn't back that belief up with anything at all - not with some sort of rational argument, nor with religious doctrine. That's not really acceptable when debating public policy.

Again, as I have previously stated numerous times you are holding these guys up to a higher standard than you would otherwise. It may not be acceptable to YOU, but it is acceptable for millions of others. Politicans make all kinds of statements that are not deemed rational by some. Bertie was a socalist remember? Labour keep spouting crap that makes no sense on a daily basis. The new thing now is gender quota's.

Now, you and I both know that religion is the likely cause of his opposition to gay marriage, so why doesn't he just say so? Is he embarrassed to admit that his religion is anti-gay?

Well that is one black and white view on it, however does that mean the European Courts of Human Rights are ruled by religous dogma as they rejected the gay marriage as a right argument? Religion is a very convieniant scape goat for some, I see it all the time here but when you scratch away at the surface there are always other factors at play. You dont need religion to hate, plenty of examples in history.

We have plenty of appointed experts and quangos in Ireland. Anytime the issue of politically appointed experts are mentioned in Ireland the left come out with the same tired mantra of wasted money and large salaries. Cant win really. They want perfect government full of experts but unwilling to pay for it. Even at the nothing is gauranteed. Look at the department of finance, they are meant to be the cream of the crop of the Irish public sector but were woefully prepared for any economic crisis that befell Ireland. Also, I don't think the president is trying to run a society, we are talking about the USA here not communist China or Cuba.

And people unwilling to pay for good government are idiots too. Way off point though, again. And the president of the USA definitely shapes the society.
    As I said equality is subjective. The European Courts of Human rights for example doesn't recognise Gay Marriage as a "right". Neither does the Supreme court of the United states. If two of the most progressive legal systems in the world doesn't recongise it what does that say? Should I take your word for it over these Judges who would be "experts" in the legal system? Some people say that everyone has a right to a job, house, car etc. The word right is as I said brandished about without any thought of what it actually means. Usually as a political football and to make a moot point.

So you're saying that two people in love can get protections from the state unless they happen to be the same gender might actually be equality? In what way is it subjective? Equality means equal treatment. Our application of it is subjective but that doesn't mean equality itself is. Then you start listing rights we can't and don't provide to anyone. Like wtf? Do you see any state law which gives the right to everyone but gingers to own a car? Because that way the comparison would make sense and also where I'd have a problem with it.
    So you cant remember who you vote for yet expect GOP voters to hold their candidate to a higher authority? :D The presidental process is similar to a whip system, just with more money, ticker tape and jazz. The GOP nomanie is generally conservative, anti-abortion, supposed to be fiscally conservative, religious, strong on defense, nationalistic, caters to the wealthy, for low taxes, usually against big government. Most of the GOP voters couldn't give a damm if there was a chimp running for the white house. If most of the boxes above are ticked they will tick the same box come polling day.
    Before anyone gets high and mighty, it is the EXACT same for the democrats.

You seem to be mixing up what people should do to get voted for and what we're discussing, what people should do because it's the best thing for the development of our species. I'm not suggesting Romney or any politician would get more votes by researching their views and amending them where applicable. I'm suggesting it because otherwise it makes him an asshole of a human being, something we should all strive not to be. Especially people who want to involve themselves in the running of a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

What are you trying to get at here jank? The ECHR ruling is completely irrelevant to the actual debate on gay marriage. The reason that the French couple who took the case got the wrong answer is because they asked the wrong question.

The court ruling found:

"The European Convention on Human Rights does not require member states’ governments to grant same-sex couples access to marriage"

Well of course not. There is no right to marry. Marriage is something which has been adopted and administrated by the state and is for the state to grant to whomever it pleases. However, the state must do so in such a way that it is coherent with its other constitutional obligations. That's the problem. It's not about the right to marry, it's about the right to be treated equally and that is something which is enshrined in both the US and Irish constitutions.

14th Amendment

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Article 40.1

"All citizens shall, as human persons, be held equal before the law.
    This shall not be held to mean that the State shall not in its enactments have due regard to differences of capacity, physical and moral, and of social function."

The point of the matter is that if we are going to have a debate about denying people their constitutional right to equality before the law then there must be a rational reason for doing so, accessible to people of all backgrounds. Obama gets it, but Romney doesn't seem to, thinking that his religion should protect him against having to back up his argument.

obama-abortion.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Would you prefer 'meatheads' or 'Repubtards'? Romney signed up to the mormon cult for a billion years service. He pays 10% of his wages. How much will that work out to over a billion years? That's a question I'd ask him. No point in putting serious, reasonable, grown-up questions to a former moron bishop in magic underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Dinosaurs Lived With Man? So Says Allen Quist, GOP Candidate.
    "...Allen Quist, a 67-year-old soybean farmer and onetime anti-sodomy crusader who believes that humans and dinosaurs may have coexisted in Southeast Asia as late as the 11th century. Quist's platform and ideology bears a close resemblance to another Minnesota conservative with a huge family and a love-hate relationship with modern science—Rep. Michele Bachmann. That's no coincidence. Beginning in the late 1990s, the duo worked together to take down Minnesota's state curriculum standards, which they considered a gateway to a totalitarian society built on moral relativism. He helped make her rise possible; now he wants to join her in Washington...".* Is Democrat Tim Walz in trouble? The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

He also believes that there is scientific evidence for dragons. Not making it up!

If Monty Python started a political party, as a joke, it wouldn't be as mentally deranged as the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

They can give what ever reason they want, just like Romney gave his reason for being anti gay marriage. All I same saying is that because one reason is a belief which may stem from a religious dogma and the other reason is based on economic journals doesn't automatically mean that the latter is superior.

What?

Someone thinking something because of some bronze age unverifiable nonsense thought up by illiterate goat herders 2000+ years ago isn't inferior to academic research peer reviewed by the best thinkers in the field? I can't even begin to fathom what kind of brain damage would be required to agree with that.

Its inferior in every way imaginable.

I'm reminded of the everlasting argument in the public sphere where some talk show or news reporter will pit the opinion of a renowned evolutionary biologist against some Christian apologist with a Phd in theology on Evolution and act like their views have equal weight. Or recently where I witnessed a talkshow where a virologist was pitted against a faith healer and a homeopodist.

Some eejit from the backarse of Mayo who claims to have 'the cure' is not equal to someone with an actual medical qualification.

The economist, doctor, or even the evolutionary biologist could possibly be wrong but to suggest their views aren't superior on those issues is insanity.

Would you prefer 'meatheads' or 'Repubtards'? Romney signed up to the mormon cult for a billion years service. He pays 10% of his wages. How much will that work out to over a billion years? That's a question I'd ask him. No point in putting serious, reasonable, grown-up questions to a former moron bishop in magic underpants.

Thanks for proving the point in a better way than I could have expressed.

oldrnwisr wrote: »

The point of the matter is that if we are going to have a debate about denying people their constitutional right to equality before the law then there must be a rational reason for doing so, accessible to people of all backgrounds. Obama gets it, but Romney doesn't seem to, thinking that his religion should protect him against having to back up his argument.

Obama has also changed his mind on this topic three times...

• Advertisement

decimatio wrote: »
    What?

The economist, doctor, or even the evolutionary biologist could possibly be wrong but to suggest their views aren't superior on those issues is insanity.

They could be wrong but they are automaticly ALWAYS right when pitted up against someone who has beliefs that have religious overtones... Hmmm. Sure!

That is the fallacy of looking at the cover of the book or the author and then automaticly agreeing or dissagreeing with it even though one doesnt read the pages.

Advertisement