Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO NO NO Schools have to include religion classes, forum told

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

MrPudding wrote: »

I absolutely despise the catholic church,

An excellent argument for you not being allowed to have power over Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

crucamim wrote: »
    An excellent argument for you not being allowed to have power over Catholics.
    I don't want power over catholics...

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

When or where did I state that "all non-Catholic are out to get Catholic children"? Please stick to facts.

when you described people supporting secularism as anti-Catholic, many of whom are Catholic. You never refer to non-Catholics as anything other than anti-Catholic, and then you're suprised when people presume you view all non-Catholics as out to get Catholic children?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I believe that Catholic schools should [...] employ only practising Catholics [...] to keep Catholics safe.
    Have you not heard about the clerical abuse scandal?

Are you living on the same planet as the rest of us? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well said. I believe that Catholic schools should exclude all non-Catholci students and should employ only practising Catholics. That is the whole point of Catholic schools - to keep Catholics safe.
    This of course isn't going to happen and the trend is in the opposite direction.
    You need a Plan B.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe what crucamim wants is only a temporary measure until the Starship arrives to take them all away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm not sure you got the purpose of the comic.

I took it at face value and obviously interpreted it differently..... enlighten me!

Dades wrote: »
    Agreed. Access all areas = all schools secular. :)

I only care about moving religion class from school hours. Honestly, it's not that difficult to just do proper education during the day and allow RE to be taught after the bell to those whose parents want it.

The CEO of Educate Together has stated that very, very few parents in Ireland want their kids educated in a non belief system. Following on, would it not seem reasonable to exempt from RE those that wished to be, as opposed to holding a huge majority back when the 3pm bell tolls....:)

And sure all the parents need their chat in the schoolyard at the same time !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Following on, would it not seem reasonable to exempt from RE those that wished to be, as opposed to holding a huge majority back when the 3pm bell tolls....:)!
    Just my gut feeling, but I'd imagine that getting all the non-christian kids to stand up and leave the room during the day would be a very good way to single those kids out for school yard bullying.

Additionally the majority opinion is that there is no problem with RE so long as that's what it is, educating kids about religions, after all a lot of people believe this stuff so it's useful for the kids to know, but it should be all religions and not just catholicism (hopefully all religions are covered now, back in my day it was just catholicism and that protestants were wrong in some non-descript way) . What is objectionably is the religious indoctrination that is currently taught or the teaching of morality in a purely religious context.

Knasher wrote: »
    Just my gut feeling, but I'd imagine that getting all the non-christian kids to stand up and leave the room during the day would be a very good way to single those kids out for school yard bullying.

Additionally the majority opinion is that there is no problem with RE so long as that's what it is, educating kids about religions, after all a lot of people believe this stuff so it's useful for the kids to know, but it should be all religions and not just catholicism (hopefully all religions are covered now, back in my day it was just catholicism and that protestants were wrong in some non-descript way) . What is objectionably is the religious indoctrination that is currently taught or the teaching of morality in a purely religious context.

Regardless of the current topic school bullying exists and it is the duty of the school to deal with that, which to their credit lots of schools do. Granted, it is an issue and I had not thought about it.I know that the RE class for primary schools is department issue and very basic stuff tailored for kids and there is probably very little point in trying to educate 7 year olds in other religions. I think most parents would agree with that. Morality in my view is not dependent on religion and the kids will develop their own sense of morality based on lots of factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

crucamim is certifiably a troll as far as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

philologos wrote: »

Nah-ah, he's one of yours like it or lump it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Are you REALLY trying your damnest to get Philogos to remind us of Jobee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

He wants to be safe from the anti-Catholics. No trolling there, unfortunately

As long as you have rohatch and as Malty T has suggested jobee I'm fine with that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

As long as you have rohatch and as Malty T has suggested jobee I'm fine with that :pac:

Who is/was rohatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Who is/was rohatch?

Who wasn't rohatch? :pac:

Although in fairness to them Dades and robindch dealt with him, although sometimes I wish they hadn't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Woah! Before my time, unfortunately :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Although in fairness to them Dades and robindch dealt with him, although sometimes I wish they hadn't :p

I was actually trying to remember rohatches name to include with Jobee:D

• Advertisement

Ooh my ..Philologos Is that a :p

Schools in Canada allow in religious preachers, because "freedom of religion" trumps the Education Act:

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/education/article/1022385--board-runs-afoul-of-education-act-with-prayer-services

Menstruating schoolgirls, down the back plz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Crucamim, do you also think there should be "whites only" schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I would guess only if they are catholic whites...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

robindch wrote: »
    Schools in Canada allow in religious preachers, because "freedom of religion" trumps the Education Act:

I guess "freedom from religion" doesn't trump it :rolleyes:

liamw wrote: »
    I guess "freedom from religion" doesn't trump it :rolleyes:
    One can only hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Crucamim, do you also think there should be "whites only" schools?
    gvn wrote: »
    How about sending black children to one school and white children to another?

I can't see a distinction between a) sending children of different ethnicity to different schools, and b) sending children to different schools because of the beliefs of their parents.

On what basis can you say that a) is right and b) is wrong?
    They would both be right.

Advertisement