Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO NO NO Schools have to include religion classes, forum told

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Eh, I dunno - you did just use one of their videos to make a point, Malty!

Though I have to say it made very interesting viewing.
    They seem to think one more generation and the church will be wiped out here... sadface! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades wrote: »
    Eh, I dunno - you did just use one of their videos to make a point, Malty!

Though I have to say it made very interesting viewing.
    They seem to think one more generation and the church will be wiped out here... sadface! :pac:

What video? Seriously what are you guys on about.:confused: I see no evidence of me posting such a video. I think only yourself and Philo can see this supposed "video". I'm getting scared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,463 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Come on lads! If we really put some effort in, we can get it done in this generation.

Who's with me?

Barrington wrote: »
    Come on lads! If we really put some effort in, we can get it done in this generation.

Who's with me?

I AM!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Barrington wrote: »

Who's with me?

One church and it won't be "gone" by any means just minimised making room for other churches and other religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Malty_T wrote: »
    I AM!!!!!

Says the man with selective video memory.

To be fair though, posting this:
    Except now they're not actually Catholics any more this is a pretty good representative view of so-called Irish Catholics today.

Which seems to read either:

Except now they're not actually Catholics any more. This is a pretty good representative view of so-called Irish Catholics today.

or

Except now they're not actually Catholics any more than this is a pretty good representative view of so-called Irish Catholics today.

depending on how we're meant to correct your grammar in our heads- was bound to cause confusion.

philologos wrote: »
    One church and it won't be "gone" by any means just minimised making room for other churches and other religions.

A pity, isn't it? :D

P.S. Your reply number is 666. It's a sign!

pH wrote: »
    Says the man with selective video memory.

To be fair though, posting this:

Which seems to read either:

Except now they're not actually Catholics any more. This is a pretty good representative view of so-called Irish Catholics today.

or

Except now they're not actually Catholics any more than this is a pretty good representative view of so-called Irish Catholics today.

depending on how we're meant to correct your grammar in our heads- was bound to cause confusion.

What are you on about?:confused:

gvn wrote: »
    A pity, isn't it? :D

A pity? Not really. Expected? Yes.

You see I suspect this is just the logical conclusion of what people actually believed up until now. People are thinking about God more than ever before and people realised that they didn't believe in it. Others will think about their faith and realise that they actually did even if they didn't think about it much before.

I see such a development as good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

A pity? Not really. Expected? Yes.

You see I suspect this is just the logical conclusion of what people actually believed up until now. People are thinking about God more than ever before and people realised that they didn't believe in it. Others will think about their faith and realise that they actually did even if they didn't think about it much before.

I see such a development as good news.

People? Thinking? LOL! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What are you on about?:confused:
    Do you have yourself on ignore? :pac:

Malty's Controversial Post

People? Thinking? LOL! :pac:

People actually do a suprising amount of thinking about everything. The best bit is though that they normally nobody else thinks as deeply about stuff as they do. "Yeah that guy is better than maths at me, but He still can't think like I do.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

you all do know by now that ireland has been told that it in breach of child human rights by not having enough schools for non catholic children,trying to say that these children do not need to stay in school for the schools religious lessons is not good enough,the EU is going to rule on it this year

Do you have yourself on ignore? :pac:

Malty's Controversial Post

What? I'm starting to get the sense that certain groups of people are against me here. I always knew it was only a matter of time before my innocence made me a victim.

People actually do a suprising amount of thinking about everything. The best bit is though that they normally nobody else thinks as deeply about stuff as they do. "Yeah that guy is better than maths at me, but He still can't think like I do.":D

In fairness I was being glib. I do think people spend a lot of time thinking but that's not say they're being rational when they do so.

sheeple.png

As always XKCD nails it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

In fairness I was being glib. I do think people spend a lot of time thinking but that's not say they're being rational when they do so.

sheeple.png

As always XKCD nails it.

I love the mouse-over text in that one:)

Ayn Rand. Nuff said.

The wha?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The wha?:confused:

You hover your mouse over any XKCD comic, you get an extra punchline:)

You hover your mouse over any XKCD comic, you get an extra punchline:)

Class never knew that! (Don't use a mouse :p)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Unless you are saying that you would be happy for Irish Skeptics to pay tax on their contributions robindch?
    Already been over that point. There's a fundamental difference between the ISS and religions, namely, that the ISS is there to combat bullshit, while the religions are there to sustain and propagate it. One is good for society, the other is bad.

Not that the state is going to rake in very much anyway from the few grand that the ISS turns over every year, versus say, the millions turned over by the religions in this country, nor the >$100 billion turned over by the religious industries in the USA.

By that I can take that you mean that despite the fact that Irish Skeptics like churches / synagogues / mosques / your local GAA club and so on is an organisation that survives on the basis of contributions from members you would still not be happy for it to pay tax?

I don't see why the State should tax any non-profit in this country, and I particularly don't see why the State should favour your group over any other non-profit group. We discussed this a few months ago on this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I don't see why the State should tax any non-profit in this country, and I particularly don't see why the State should favour your group over any other non-profit group.
    I'm not going to trawl through the same arguments as last time, but to summarize, I don't believe that the state should, via tax exemptions, indirectly fund selfish, divisive, anti-social, self-aggrandizing and irrational social movements such as religions.

Their tax exemption should be removed and the exemption reinstated, say, for the holders of patents, many of whom -- unlike the religions -- directly contribute to the exchequer and the overall wealth of the country.

All explained on the previous thread. The exact same arguments could apply to Irish Skeptics :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

sheeple.png

As always XKCD nails it.

Great Cartoon.... Maybe we all think too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

philologos - for shame the question dodging.

We are also largely able-bodied. There is of course a small minority of handicapped people, but it would be inconvenient and expensive to provide handicapped access and facilities in all publicly accessible buildings. That would place an unfair burden those of us who pay for those buildings who have no need for such access.

Perhaps 10% of all buildings could be given handicapped access? That would be a fair representation of the demographics. Handicapped people could then travel to the nearest accessible building, or maybe just compromise their integrity by using the nearest inaccessible one.

Seems reasonable, no? :)

Access all areas should be the case....now lets get back to schoolyard politics.. if there was a refferendum in the morning to ban religion classes in schools and it succeded, I have no doubt you would be very happy with that..... how about if the mummies and and daddies in the school yard voted to keep religion class going ..... ?:)

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

no one has suggested banning of the religion class, just the ending of religious instruction in schools.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

koth wrote: »
    no one has suggested banning of the religion class, just the ending of religious instruction in schools.

Why do you want to ban religious instruction in schools? Is it to make Catholic schools more welcoming to non-Catholics?

P.S. I would have no quarrel with banning religious instruction in schools if that were accompanied by a change in the law giving Catholic schools an unqualified right to restrict admissions to the children of practising Catholics. And to employ only practising Catholics. That would provoke non-Catholics into establishing their own schools and leaving us alone.

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

crucamim wrote: »
    Why do you want to ban religious instruction in schools? It it to make Catholic schools more welcoming to non-Catholics?
    to treat all children as equal within public schools. something which I'm well aware that you disagree with.
    P.S. I would have no quarrel with banning religious instruction in schools if that were accompanied by a change in the law giving Catholic schools an unqualified right to restrict admissions to the children of practising Catholics. And to employ only practising Catholics. That would provoke non-Catholics into establishing their own schools and leaving us alone.
    I seriously doubt the government will ever introduce such sectarian admission and employment laws with regards to public schools.

Catholics are allowed to set up private schools if they wish if they feel the need to hide away from other groups.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Great Cartoon.... Maybe we all think too much!

I'm not sure you got the purpose of the comic.

Advertisement