Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

vectra wrote: »
    Or you could leave it till tomorrow :pac:

Too late

392184_10151048665625176_805400175_22229299_164469085_n.jpg?dl=1

I'm fairly sure I've lost my sump nut in the stones though. Probably needed a new one anyway, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Could take one of the cars out of the shed but that means taking out the leaf blower and drying it afterwards... Might just drive out the road and park the car accidentally up on a friends lift, lol.

A friend with 'lifts' and all the rest .....

E39MSport wrote: »
    A friend with 'lifts' and all the rest .....

?

If you're noticing that I don't have a lift, Ennis is "out the road" for me.

New sump nut for €1.58 from Hogans plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

?

If you're noticing that I don't have a lift, Ennis is "out the road" for me.

New sump nut for €1.58 from Hogans plus vat.

Sorry. Typing for no reason... Placebo lyric, sort of.

I have drainage stones like that on my drive and they are a cnut for losing things in and using the trolley jack :mad:

E39MSport wrote: »
    Sorry. Typing for no reason... Placebo lyric, sort of.

I have drainage stones like that on my drive and they are a cnut for losing things in and using the trolley jack :mad:

Yeah, we've them at the front and down along the side of the house, dragging the jack out is an absolute pain, and trying to get the axle stands to settle in.

But anyway, was given the wrong oil filter, so had to go back in and get the right one, changed the fuel filter too. Nice and serviced now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yeah, we've them at the front and down along the side of the house, dragging the jack out is an absolute pain, and trying to get the axle stands to settle in.

But anyway, was given the wrong oil filter, so had to go back in and get the right one, changed the fuel filter too. Nice and serviced now.

Anti freeze put in?

Anti freeze put in?

Put it in a few weeks ago, I must get a tester and check it. I have half a bottle of it left there I might just throw it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

E46 318ci 2004 - how quickly should it run out of coolant? Did the levels only a short while ago and Saturday night the light came on whilst on my way home. Its was empty so topped it up with some coolant and water. Expansion tank has been replaced on it before. Radiator was also replaced as it was busted by a stone. This is not normal i think something has a leak somewhere. Discovered my air bag light is on also intermittently. Passenger seat occupancy sensor was replaced two years ago by Murphy and Gunn cost me a fortune. Oh and nct in two months typical! Can that light be switched off for my nct?

Try getting the light switched off and see will it stay off by chance.

Did you replace the expansion bottle with a genuine one?

Put it in a few weeks ago, I must get a tester and check it. I have half a bottle of it left there I might just throw it in.

Could they check that at an auto factors? I need to get the Toledo checked

• Advertisement

Could they check that at an auto factors? I need to get the Toledo checked

Halfords sell the once off testers for 5 or 6 euro IIRC, most garages should have one, I can't imagine they'd charge too much to dip it and check it.

Try getting the light switched off and see will it stay off by chance.

Did you replace the expansion bottle with a genuine one?

Light comes on for about a minute normally when car started up from what i can see. He mainly drives the car and has selective vision so i only get half the information on all the issues. The light not on permanently. Yet. Expansion tank was genuine bmw replacement the radiator was spurious. Is that how you spell that word?!

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Light comes on for about a minute normally when car started up from what i can see. He mainly drives the car and has selective vision so i only get half the information on all the issues. The light not on permanently. Yet. Expansion tank was genuine bmw replacement the radiator was spurious. Is that how you spell that word?!

Indeed, no when i changed the tank on a 320ci I was told to stay away from spurious ones.

Any coffee colour oil on the end of the dip stick?

Indeed, no when i changed the tank on a 320ci I was told to stay away from spurious ones.

Any coffee colour oil on the end of the dip stick?

There wasnt any the last time i checked but i wasnt checking on Saturday. It was half three in the morning and i was in the back arse of Kilcullen in the pissings of rain the coolant was all that was getting done. A mate was in the car and he telling me apparently i could drive until the dial on the right went into the red.....

Could they check that at an auto factors?.............

The one i worked in used to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Priced a hybrid turbo for my 2.0 tdi anyone go down route here, would like some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Kept her between the ditches :D

373959_261251937261214_100001292301459_674602_473777131_n.jpg

Snow this morning made a welcome change from the black ice & frost yesterday morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

where in cork were you!?

Kanturk - but the above photo was taken about 3 miles the Cork side of Nadd - right at the top of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

never even heard of Nadd :o had to google map it

• Advertisement

Trust me - you could drive through it and not realise it! :D Consists of 2 houses, a pub & an abandoned garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Rich11 wrote: »
    Right,

serviced my car the other day, done the front break pads, discs good, no damage, topped up break fluid, didnt over fill.
    driving into work today, had to break suddenly at the traffic lights, like i always dorolleyes.gif, lol, anyway once i stop hand break light come onconfused.gif
    anyway put handbreak on/off a few times, same with the peddle, still oneek.gif.... the car stops as normal, peddle didnt sink ect. fluid still at max.
    moved off and it went.
    Going home tonight, driving around a corner, lil fast, it comes on again, when it came on my foot wasnt on the peddle, so what did i f**king do wrong....
    By the way its an astra

Thanks

Brought car to my local machanic, told him, he said sounds like the master cylinder:eek:, f**k s**t B****x, any way said leave it with him and hed have a look at it, went back the next day expecting the worst, but...... could'nt find a thing wrong!:confused: but since the other day the handbreak light hasnt come on when stopping:), he said just a small fault + didnt charge me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Top Dog wrote: »
    Trust me - you could drive through it and not realise it! :D Consists of 2 houses, a pub & an abandoned garage.

I knew I recognised the background..:)

I am living on the other side of Lyre.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Priced a hybrid turbo for my 2.0 tdi anyone go down route here, would like some advice.

Head over to vagdrivers and talk to the OP of this thread. Knows his stuff ;)

250+ BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Head over to vagdrivers and talk to the OP of this thread. Knows his stuff ;)

250+ BHP

He knows my car intimately at this stage:D

EPM wrote: »
    He knows my car intimately at this stage:D

Yup.
    He is the only one left touch my car as well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

never made it to Naddstock? You missed out man....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's a pain in the nadds! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

It started when I took this pic for the "revs at 75mph thread" and I noticed that the temp guage was way too low. Cabin heat was pretty poor too.

205t7jp.jpg

So after some expert diagnosis(google), I concluded that the EGR thermostat was a likely culprit. Apparently the exhaust gases get cooled before they get to the EGR/manifold as they would melt the plastic manifold. This exhaust gas cooler has it's own thermostat which I picked up today from Joe Duffy's €49.

2vwco79.jpg

It just took 10mins to fit this part and I knew that the old one was faulty because I was able to blow through it when cold whereas are the new one was closed when cold. Took the car for a 5min spin and got lovely heat and a much healthier temp guage position.

fw2b5y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Good diagnosis - temp guage on them should stay bang on dead in the middle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement