Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

langdang wrote: »
    Direct from gtechnic or is there somewhere local-ish selling it?

HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Looks like tedious work Delly! Next time you're at the meet, I'll bring stuff to resotre the trim on your wing mirrors. Just remind me when you'll be at one.

Slag my rubber/plastics off but don't offer me that kind of service. :(

I see how it is now... yeah yeah...

dar83 wrote: »
    Slag my rubber/plastics off but don't offer me that kind of service. :(

I see how it is now... yeah yeah...

You have no idea how bloody tedious it would be to get your plastics to the stage where that stuff can be applied!

You have no idea how bloody tedious it would be to get your plastics to the stage where that stuff can be applied!

And? Where's the dedication to my cause?! :rolleyes:

:pac:

And? Where's the dedication to my cause?! :rolleyes:

:pac:

For the tediousness of your cause, I'd want to be getting paid very well to give any dedication at all :pac:

• Advertisement

For the tediousness of your cause, I'd want to be getting paid very well to give any dedication at all :pac:

So are you trying to say that my plastics/rubbers aren't actually as bad as you first made out then? eh? :P

So are you trying to say that my plastics/rubbers aren't actually as bad as you first made out then? eh? :P

I never made out that they were bad at all. My question was if they were supposed to be black or dark grey.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

langdang wrote: »
    Look under the bottom of the door, is there 2 nuts/screws/sockets? You may need to align the window (ie angle it so the top is closer or farther from the car). That was the case for her MINI. In that case the way to do it was so that a sheet of paper could be pulled between the rubber and the top of the glass without too much or too little resistance. Too far out and you may have too much road noise and a problem at car washes, angled too far in puts strain on the window motor.
    Funnily enough the window goes up to the perfect position, but it could still be the answer. I've just done a google of different key words and found this. It would be great if it was the answer, as it would mean not having to take off the inside panal again.
    Looks like tedious work Delly! Next time you're at the meet, I'll bring stuff to resotre the trim on your wing mirrors. Just remind me when you'll be at one.
    It was all going grand until the right bit fell apart leaving me with my head scratching. And your right those wing mirrors are bad aright, eringobragh was filling me in on his approach at the meet a couple of months back. Its on the list.

Heat gun?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Aye, although the stuff you have would be way easier me thinks. Once this window is sorted tho', the next project will be the multichanger. CD 1 stuck in the loaded position over the weekend, lol, its one thing after the other.

• Advertisement

Heatgun works but it takes time and it may need to be done more frequently. With the stuff I have, you apply it and it brings it back instantly and lasts at least 2 years without having to go near it again.

I hope it's a CD you enjoy that got stuck :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Today I replaced the ribbon cable in my SID. Very fiddly, but now I have all my pixels!!:D

Next job is the radio.

I hope it's a CD you enjoy that got stuck :p
    Daniel O'Donnells greatest hits :(, nothing like his soothing tone when I'm red lining :pac:

Anyhows, so I removed the outer trim and modified the bit I linked about up above, but no real difference. I can actually hear it squeaking at the inner part of the window when it is going up, so its something in there I need to chance. My first theory is that the window is jammed in against the guide, or possibly the height adjustment of the holder needs to be modified. Either way it means another door strip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Dose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Did a bit of cleaning :)

Under the bonnet
    Image2000.jpg

And in the car :)
    Image2002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You didn't do a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You didn't do a great job

Didn't include after pictures :( plus I sliced my thumb taking off the air pipes :mad:
    Hal1 wrote: »
    What is your definition of cleaning? all you've done is turned out it's pockets :p.

Twas only a quick clean anyway... I don't intend on keeping that interior, its a bit crabby in places! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What is your definition of cleaning? all you've done is turned out it's pockets :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Delly, you should make a thread on it's own in the DIY forum on how to replace a window reg. Great write up.

My reverse camera arrived from Shanghai today, the Double DIN headunit I put into the e46 had a reverse camera input, and even though the car has PDC, I figured what the hell. Came in at around 18 euro to the door. Replaces one of the numberplatelights with half a light and the camera. The new light is powered by a pair of twin LEDs. Was going to fit it today, but then the thunder and lightning kicked in - screw that!!

303323_10150852553583413_547383412_11803245_490057417_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Is that for the Smart or have you changed cars again?

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Is that for the Smart or have you changed cars again?

Smart's gone now about a month. Bought an e46 318ci.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What you need a reverse camera on a 3er for? You really bad at parking or is it just something nice to have?:)

Owen wrote: »
    Delly, you should make a thread on it's own in the DIY forum on how to replace a window reg. Great write up.[/IMG]

Cheers. Aye, might flesh it out a bit and stick it up. Until I get the going up part sorted, I won't feel like its 'fully' fixed.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What you need a reverse camera on a 3er for? You really bad at parking or is it just something nice to have?:)

It's 18 Euro, why the hell not. :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Did you get rid of it because it was getting close to that 80k where smart engines are supposed to be pre-programmed to explode :pac:

To be fair to the little Smart, it didn't miss a beat in the 15 months or so I owned it. Savage grunt from it, loads of grip, great spec, would do 120mph without a bother and ran all week on 20 euro if you took it hand with the loud pedal.

Mine wasn't burning any oil either, which was a great thing, I'd say she'll roll away past 100k without a bothers. New owner's a little old lady too (Why she wanted a Brabus is beyond me, especially mine with all the tuning done to it), so it'll have an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

i saw an 11 one recently!

Or maybe it was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Owen wrote: »
    My reverse camera arrived from Shanghai today,

That looks cool. Got a link to it?

Yup, same guy does ones for different cars too. Took about 3 weeks to get here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330635365870?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I thought I was going to see the owner get out to put it back in place it took so long to do it itself!

Is that still the boot handle when that mod is done?

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Actually, I'm just thinking about this some more. I wonder if the reason it stays out so long is because it's waiting for you to stop (handbrake?), or to drive off. I would imagine it's programmed to stay open for at least a little while in case you have to do several back-and-forth movements and you don't really want it constantly flapping during that time.

Good point. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement