Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

alexlyons wrote: »
    so the engine cover fix iv seen on the interwebs would help sort that? should i do anything to rectify it other than that?
    Put a rubber seal around the washers or get the modified ones from Ford.

Today I swapped around my wheels and put two new tyres on. Barums they are, anyone use these before? One of the lads said they are quite good, bloody €80 a corner and had to fit them myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Plug wrote: »

Today I swapped around my wheels and put two new tyres on. Barums they are, anyone use these before? One of the lads said they are quite good, bloody €80 a corner and had to fit them myself!!!

Barum it is indeed good make. In my native country rich people use them a lot. Not cheap thought , but you'll get what you pay for, reliability and quality.
    If i am not mistaken, german make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I've had Barum before. Good mileage and pretty decent grip. If my memory serves me correctly they are cheaper Bridgestone or something. I couldn't fault them as they came on the car but on a budget they are a good choice. Much better than some of the eastern rubber bands that many sellers are peddling these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Plug wrote: »
    Put a rubber seal around the washers or get the modified ones from Ford.

There was Barums on the Octavia L&K I had on loan while waiting for my vRS. They seemed fine but did spin up quite a bit in the rain. They stopped ok in the dry though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Today I got annoyed with the previous owners/dealers who have had my car. For the last couple of months, i've wanted to put square plates on my car after seeing a few pics on a civic owners forum.....for such a simple thing, they made a nice difference to the car.
    I took the rear plate off to find there is 6 holes drilled at different times for the plate, and putting a square plate on won't work as it won't cover the holes. Same story with the front, except there are 8 holes.........who repeatedly drills holes for fitting a poxy number plate :mad:
    So I removed the bracket from the front and just put the plate back on, it looks a bit better. It will have to do, as being able to see the holes in the bumper if I put a square plate on would drive me mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some late night ordering, new set of tyres ordered from Camskill. Got 2 years out of the Good Years, good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

BDJW wrote: »
    Today I got annoyed with the previous owners/dealers who have had my car. For the last couple of months, i've wanted to put square plates on my car after seeing a few pics on a civic owners forum.....for such a simple thing, they made a nice difference to the car.
    I took the rear plate off to find there is 6 holes drilled at different times for the plate, and putting a square plate on won't work as it won't cover the holes. Same story with the front, except there are 8 holes.........who repeatedly drills holes for fitting a poxy number plate :mad:
    So I removed the bracket from the front and just put the plate back on, it looks a bit better. It will have to do, as being able to see the holes in the bumper if I put a square plate on would drive me mad!

Sometimes when you fit new plates, the original holes are too big if you use different screws. This means having to drill new ones.

I had the same thing on my RX8. I wanted to put the square plate on the back to cover the hole in the bumper but couldn't because there was 6 holes already drilled for the EU plate.

Sometimes when you fit new plates, the original holes are too big if you use different screws. This means having to drill new ones.

I had the same thing on my RX8. I wanted to put the square plate on the back to cover the hole in the bumper but couldn't because there was 6 holes already drilled for the EU plate.

I understand that, but the car is only 4 years old, how many sets of number plates does it need?!?! 8 holes in the front (and there are also the 2 that are originally made by Honda) plus 6 holes in the back is excessive!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I understand that, but the car is only 4 years old, how many sets of number plates does it need?!?! 8 holes in the front (and there are also the 2 that are originally made by Honda) plus 6 holes in the back is excessive!
    The Euro R I had before had also been destroyed in this manner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I changed the gearbox oil on my civic coupe. All good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oil, plugs, and leads done now, filters were changed last month. The fuel filter I got wouldn't fit the bracket so drained out the old one and some black shíte came out of it. The car is purring away now, but I'm liking my wounds.

Today I:
    - Hoovered the interior
    - Cleaned the inside of all the windows
    - Polished the interior plastics
    - Shampooed the front 2 mats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Washed and made a start on detailing the car:
    Car was in a definate need of a wash...using my birds da's Karcher..have to say I was impressed..I've never used a portable one before and might make the
    investment!

img8860large.jpg

BEFORE: Some VERY bad clear coat scratching on this car...poor thing has obviously been attacked with a sponge for manys a year :(

img8867large.jpg

img8864large.jpg

AFTER: First timer using a DA so I will admit I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing...but thats the advantage of using the Kestrel DA
    I started off with the finishing pad and menzrena final finish, I then moved onto Menzrena medium cut and finishing pad, and then to medium cutting pad and medium cut menzerna. The car actually looks like it has a new wing on it and it hasn't even been waxed yet! RESULT :) definately some Voodoo inside that Kestrel machine :)

I only done the top half of the wing , I took currans advice as its back breaking repetitive stuff..so I am goin to choose a panel and move through the car

img8873large.jpg

img8871large.jpg

I only picked one of these up the other day in Aldi :) 11.99....you do not want to try and detail without one!

img8869large.jpg

img8868large.jpg

Some small scrapes still need doing but a 1000% improvment

img8872large.jpg

Look closely and you can see the difference between door and wing

img8874large.jpg

ALOT DONE...............MORE TO DO.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Great job!

Just got the Kestrel DA too and shed loads of pads and various polishes/compounds, going to do the car over a weekend. Can't get over the power of the polisher, it would shake your arms off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's a noisy yoke just been looking at some tutorials and noticed this clip of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMp-_yFI2s

Hal1 wrote: »
    It's a noisy yoke just been looking at some tutorials and noticed this clip of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMp-_yFI2s

They are ok after a while.. You'r ears get tuned in to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

vectra wrote: »
    Well then.
    Go and buy one so and stop whining :pac:
    Stop whining says he!!
    "waaaaaaa.... waaaaaaaaaaaa.... someone took off the badges of a precious vRS...."
    :p

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Stop whining says he!!
    "waaaaaaa.... waaaaaaaaaaaa.... someone took off the badges of a precious vRS...."
    :p

That makes no sense :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I left the E46 into the good doctors Drumcondra practice on Saturday. The doctor was not in himself, but I was taken care of by his colleagues. New springs to eradicate the dealer look and a top to toe service. I was half dreading a call to say that X, Y or Z was about to fall off, but thankfully no big surprises. Happy days!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Was the doc not in his break in case of a boards.ie customer glass case :pac:

That was the doc? I saw the case but thought it was the stig!

• Advertisement

I just booked it in for a recall to be checked on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Put two of the rubstrips back on one side (ran out of tape) and put one badge on.

Had the back badge in my hand and saw the dog eating a bit of plastic, so managed to wrestle that out of his mouth and as he let go he munched my rear badge out of my hand and into his big fat mouth in the blink of an eye!

The tape is ruined (the little bit i had left) with slober and needless to say he's in his bed mulling over what he has done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Brimmed my van :D cost a pretty penny....

Also, hopped into it this evening and I stuck to the leather seat :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

found a set of torx ratchets in the shed which i knew i had but forgot i had when i looked at the seat bolts every time i cleaned the car and wished i could take the seats out...

remembered them today so out came the front seats and gave under and down the sides a very good cleaning. lovely sunny weather for it!

Apologies about photos, couldn't see what I was taking with the shine from the sun :P

drivers seat out
    197783.JPG
    oh and ironically enough, that envelope in the centre console is a voucher for a mini valet...

storage of passenger seat so I wouldn't damage paint work!
    197784.JPG

tomorrow is an oil and filter change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I washed the aul Octavia and empied all the crap out of it's boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I just booked it in for a recall to be checked on Friday

whats the recall ?

OSI wrote: »
    I would be tempted, but I wouldn't want to spend a couple of hundred euro on the equipment only to go and strip the paint off or do more damage and have to spend even more getting it fixed.

To be honest you would be very hard pushed and would want to be a real numpty to strip off the paint with a DA.
    One of the best investments I have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OSI wrote: »
    I would be tempted, but I wouldn't want to spend a couple of hundred euro on the equipment only to go and strip the paint off or do more damage and have to spend even more getting it fixed.

Would you invest if it was a group buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i probably would invest in a group buy. but i have never seen any swirl marks on my car really apart from some on the roof so i dont know do i really need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i probably would invest in a group buy. but i have never seen any swirl marks on my car really apart from some on the roof so i dont know do i really need it

The one bliss about a silver car, you can never tell when it's dirty or not :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement