Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're weird locknuts, think rover use them too.

McGard ones?

LockWebPage.jpg

In fairness they're better than what went on the older Rover, now they were awful fecking things, made of chocolate.

Will be getting mc gards, the ones on it are the factory ones, same as old rover type

Weird cos ford use mc gard and they were running the show in jag at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Nothing worse than chocolate wheel nuts/lock nuts!

Found my Vehicle Registration Certificate today! Which is important given that the NCT is next week. Should be interesting to see how my '93 Corolla gets on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Turn of the MX5 for some interior and exterior cleaning.

196936.jpg

196937.jpg

196938.jpg

196939.jpg

196940.jpg

Result:

196941.jpg

196942.jpg

196943.jpg

196944.jpg

196945.jpg

Absolutely knackered now and that's without the de-tarring, waxing and polishing.
    Phew!
    I'm afraid that's as clean as she'll ever get after 12 years and 120k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Cleaned my van :)
    Image1940.jpg

Then cleaned all the shut lines
    Image1942.jpg
    Image19411.jpg

Then the slam panel, cyl extention, washer bottle, turrets, chassis legs, intake pipe, battery.... Yes, the entire engine bay by hand :pac:
    Image1943.jpg

Then the grubby bonnet...
    Image1945.jpg

Needs finishing...
    Image1946.jpg

Then all the windows and mirrors using this stuff!
    Image1948.jpg

Wipe off when it dries off
    Image1947.jpg

Too much time eh... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Don't get McGard's! Too good at their job so if they go on too tight, you'll be screwed trying to get them off(need a special drill bit and about 4 hours per locknut, or else weld on a bit). Don't think nicking alloys is particularly popular anymore for most cars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

got micra back .... which i was doing up 5 months back ... engine change and headgasket change ... "new" owner (by the way - she) sold to me for peanuts .... due emigrating to another country(i did see a lot in carzone, a lot ads sound like that, but never believed ) , job offer had to be accepted within two days, so had no time sell for proper price, offer me for the price which i couldnt resist.
    So another slight fix up, and put on sales. :D
    Have slight bump in front left corner, but nothing major, and left light to be replaced, got both front lights for 30.
    wonder what price these days for those little youkes ... '97, 1.l.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Don't get McGard's! Too good at their job so if they go on too tight, you'll be screwed trying to get them off(need a special drill bit and about 4 hours per locknut, or else weld on a bit). Don't think nicking alloys is particularly popular anymore for most cars anyway.

Noticed yesterday while cleaning my car that somebody has had a go at one of my wheels. One of the locking nuts is quite damaged from trying to get it off. Couldn't be a garage as I always take them off before dropping the car in I'm afraid they over tighten them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What car is it? Some of the german stuff still has alloys sought after enough that I'd want locking nuts but the majority of cars alloys are cheaper than tyres second hand these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

C.D. wrote: »
    Noticed yesterday while cleaning my car that somebody has had a go at one of my wheels. One of the locking nuts is quite damaged from trying to get it off. Couldn't be a garage as I always take them off before dropping the car in I'm afraid they over tighten them.

Tried getting the damaged nut off today.. broke the socket. FML, spare socket is 150km away, better not get a puncture before then. They are factory fitted McGards.

Trick is not to over tighten them. Not many people actually think this one through

As for monkeys with airguns...

C.D. wrote: »
    ........... Couldn't be a garage as I always take them off before dropping the car in I'm afraid they over tighten them.

That's a very decent way to go about safeguarding against them going ott with the air gun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

@dgt. what's with the sh1t wheels on the Bravo?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I've posted this elsewhere but thought it might be of interest here too.

The Microfilters were flagged as being due for a change in the iDrive service menu:

0a8d2e77.jpg

So armed with a 13mm socket with screw driver attachment I set out to do the "quick" job. It nearly took longer the reset the iDrive (using proper method) than it did to swap the filters!

Kit & filters:
    f3bfec47.jpg

Filter housing & clips:

759f273d.jpg

daa891c7.jpg

Driver's side has two sensors attached, be careful with this one:

89b663c2.jpg

Dirty old filter (passenger side):

c4fb95ed.jpg

Old & new together, would you really want to breathe for much longer through the older one?:

0ca2f528.jpg

The DIS procedure for resetting the CBS

1. Select the model:

c4ac16a6.jpg

2. You'll get this screen next:

f493abd2.jpg
    Run a quick diagnostics to check for errors.

3. Select the Control Unit Functions as below

d6e7165b.jpg
    Then click Test Schedules.

4. Then you can select the Microfilter from the following menu:

b08289a8.jpg

5. Again select Microfilter:

d6ed24ed.jpg

6. Et voila! The Microfilter in the iDrive is reset!

8434a302.jpg
    The detail screen:
    9fe03333.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Are you for real :eek: Haha thats deadly!!!

Would they pass the nct though :confused:

I'm sorry sir, the bulbs aren't orange enou.. HANG ON!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Trick is not to over tighten them. Not many people actually think this one through

As for monkeys with airguns...

I take it that a torque wrench should be used?

Is there a specific torque for the locking nut than the standard wheel nut?

Cui bono?

I never used a torque wrench, you just know when you're putting strain on the nut. I've never had one fall off or break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

524444_447401289942_507049942_1551791_162081213_n.jpg

New import plate on the front, bate in a new HID bulb, and assessed what I need to get the front perfect again. Arch liner, some bracketing and new mesh for the front bumper basically...not too bad!

^ needs lupo indicators

You mean these?

Ebay

Ooh no. If I was doing it, I'd go clear, if you wanna go black you may as well spray them. You want them to stand out, not be the same colour.

ottostreet wrote: »

New import plate on the front, bate in a new HID bulb, and assessed what I need to get the front perfect again. Arch liner, some bracketing and new mesh for the front bumper basically...not too bad!

As they say in Clare: If it moves, bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't bate it till it does.:D

Otto, if you slightly loosen the screw holding the clip in, it makes fitting the hids way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Brought the E46 to Noel Hannon crash repairs to get some damage repaired before the NCT. I had a bit of an incident with a piller last year :o

Also got a nasty scrap while parked in my husbands work basement so going to get the repaired as well.

And please excuse the state of the car it is being spoilt this weekend.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Will post up some after pics when I get it back which will be Thursday or Friday.

Also got a quote to get my front valance repainted on the E30 as the paint is flaking off it. Will have to wait until after summer I think to get it done.

I don't understand my HIDs at all! The guide over on FTO-Ireland says the dipped beam is HB3 9006. That is what I bought. Hooked up, they work, but they do not fit the headlight. I have them 'bate in' using the clip to hold them in, but they aren't correct. The bulbs that were in it were H7 and they aren't right either. Is it possible my headlights are pre-facelift replacements and aren't the original GPVR ones? It would explain why the front end seems so messy and 'put back together'

Did your car have hids originally I wonder?

I got 9006s for my 95 pfl and they went straight in.

If they're pre facelift then they won't have parking lights bult in the cluster, they'd be in the bumper.

• Advertisement

Yep, I checked the serial number on the headlight casing, Stanley HCHR-22, and it has housing for HIDs, so they are HID headlights. I just can't figure out what bloody bulb is supposed to fit in, because neither the H7 or HB3s fit properly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement