Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming and Gas Fracking

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I didn't realise this was an April Fools joke, until the end !!

http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article1357001.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone get any info on the mineral test drilling licenses that were given in Leitrim, Cavan and Sligo in Feb? Some of out property is in it. We had them here before in 1996 and they drilled to 3200m. They paid the landowner well and gave work to the locals. Wonder when it is due to kick off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone get any info on the mineral test drilling licenses that were given in Leitrim, Cavan and Sligo in Feb? Some of out property is in it. We had them here before in 1996 and they drilled to 3200m. They paid the landowner well and gave work to the locals. Wonder when it is due to kick off again?

All well and good saying it will give work to the locals in the short term - but how would fracking help the sustainability of a community if it damages the green image of Agriculture - and makes an area a less attractive tourism destination.

Also thinking long term - would fracking make a community where it takes place less attractive to live in.

My take on it is that it all needs to be thought out carefully - the gas is not going anywhere - so its better to be sure we can make fracking work well and safely - and in a way that doesn't jeopardise whatever else is going on in an area like Agri, tourism - or developing new industry in a Region in the future.

Its better to wait 10 years - but get it right - rather then rush in and have things go wrong - and then your stuck with the results of the things going wrong permanently.

Old diesel wrote: »
    All well and good saying it will give work to the locals in the short term - but how would fracking help the sustainability of a community if it damages the green image of Agriculture - and makes an area a less attractive tourism destination.

Also thinking long term - would fracking make a community where it takes place less attractive to live in.

My take on it is that it all needs to be thought out carefully - the gas is not going anywhere - so its better to be sure we can make fracking work well and safely - and in a way that doesn't jeopardise whatever else is going on in an area like Agri, tourism - or developing new industry in a Region in the future.

Its better to wait 10 years - but get it right - rather then rush in and have things go wrong - and then your stuck with the results of the things going wrong permanently.

I did not mention fracking. It is test drilling for minerals. It's not mining or fracking. It's drilling a hole with a big drill to see what's down there!!

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    I did not mention fracking. It is test drilling for minerals. It's not mining or fracking. It's drilling a hole with a big drill to see what's down there!!

That's fair enough - but am I right in thinking that the minerals - if found would be stuff that would be fracked :confused:

Apologies :(

Old diesel wrote: »
    That's fair enough - but am I right in thinking that the minerals - if found would be stuff that would be fracked :confused:

Apologies :(

No, gas and oil is basically all that can be fracked - only material that can be pumped to the surface. Minerals such as gypsum, coal, metals etc all have to be mined.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Reilig dont get excited about the imminent cash bonanza
    We had them 2 years ago drilling here
    Supposedly happy with the results in our area in locating a lead and copper seam 7 metres thick
    Plenty of shyte and muck after them all for a massive €500 per hole and a max of 2 holes / farm all taxable
    Drill rigs and engineers from Canada, labourers Irish
    Remember if you dont allow them access they can drill yours from your neighbour's land and he gets the €500
    We didnt let them in and am happy when I still see the state they left the fields in they drilled
    Ours was drilled from 800 metres away at a 60 degree angle to a depth of 4000m

Reilig dont get excited about the imminent cash bonanza
    We had them 2 years ago drilling here
    Supposedly happy with the results in our area in locating a lead and copper seam 7 metres thick
    Plenty of shyte and muck after them all for a massive €500 per hole and a max of 2 holes / farm all taxable
    Drill rigs and engineers from Canada, labourers Irish
    Remember if you dont allow them access they can drill yours from your neighbour's land and he gets the €500
    We didnt let them in and am happy when I still see the state they left the fields in they drilled
    Ours was drilled from 800 metres away at a 60 degree angle to a depth of 4000m

Wow, that sounds like a mess. We had the company that got the licences last month in the past too. The drill rigs were from Irish Drilling in Galway and the engineer was from meath. To be honest they left the place much better than they found it - they had to cross ditches to get it and they cleaned back up the drains and fenced a lot more than they had to. One hole was drilled and we got £1800

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Maybe ye are superior negotiators there ..They quoted " industry norms " to me of €500 and €50 per week for every week after the second week. Granted the weather was terrible at the time and there was little more they could do other than abandon and come back when dry which they wouldnt consider..In fairness they sent in a machine to tidy up gaps etc after. there was no windfall for anyone here other than the fuel supplier and short term storage of the cores

• Advertisement

colrow wrote: »

Ohio is in the US - don't ask me where though

on a serious note - the fact that it could cause earthquakes - does reinforce the need for great care in planning fracking - or even deciding whether to even do it or not.

its certainly not something to be approached with the usual official Ireland approach of doing the job of just half doing it - and not bothering with some of the proper procedures other countries might adopt when said other countries go for higher standards then Ireland

I know we all think the oil companies don't care a hoot about the environment and safety, butpeople with the same concerns as us work for them, Safety and the environment is a key concern I can assure you. All those well educated intelligent people that work at refineries, are extremely concerned about safety and the environment. They live and work in these extremely potentialy dangerous environments, and they value their own, thjeir colleagues and there families lives.

Last year I did an updated MIST course Minimum Industry Safety Training. for the offshore industry.

Any person who works offshore, is able to stop any work going on, if they think its unsafe, its the law now, so they all have a duty of care.

Normally Offshore you book a 12 to 14 hour day, the course safety officers said the usual hours actually working are no more than 6. The rest of the time, is spent on each individual carrying out risk assesments,applying for permits to work, etc etc

colrow wrote: »
    I know we all think the oil companies don't care a hoot about the environment and safety, butpeople with the same concerns as us work for them, Safety and the environment is a key concern I can assure you. All those well educated intelligent people that work at refineries, are extremely concerned about safety and the environment. They live and work in these extremely potentialy dangerous environments, and they value their own, thjeir colleagues and there families lives.

Last year I did an updated MIST course Minimum Industry Safety Training. for the offshore industry.

Any person who works offshore, is able to stop any work going on, if they think its unsafe, its the law now, so they all have a duty of care.

Normally Offshore you book a 12 to 14 hour day, the course safety officers said the usual hours actually working are no more than 6. The rest of the time, is spent on each individual carrying out risk assesments,applying for permits to work, etc etc

Its not oil companies and their staff that worry me tbh

Its the incompetent Irish official approach to planning and doing stuff I would have concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

S. Sligo were the areas in question subject to the summer 2011 air-borne survey 'x-raying' the land. A very timely if belated intervention by local councillors.

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/71829/mayo-needs-to-wake-up-on-controversial-fracking-issue

Colrow: "I never thought they would be using Diesel as a fracking fluid."

Do not kid yourself; lets look at that another way; all manner of industrial waste, old/ dirty/ confiscated diesel fuel could be disposed off this way, sent to the bottom of a gas well, in the name of fracking. A well 4 km deep arguably the final resting place of nuclear waste too costly to quarantine in blocks of gas in specially built underground chambers. Can't be hosing it down for generations to come..

Gas fracking to commence in Lancashire unless...

This was passed on to me so i do so in turn .

Read this , sign if concerned.

http://www.foe.co.uk/act/petition-st...-in-lancashire

...'public health was not been addressed in the current Irish research.´

... ‘And if its not safe in New York its not safe in any part of Ireland.’

http://sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=35771

Environmental Protection Agency taken to task over 'inadequate' fracking report.

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/local-news/inadequate-fracking-report-slammed-1-6702683

• Advertisement

"The EPA says the evaluation panels comprised 27 existing and retired personnel from organisations such as An Bord Pleanála, the departments of the environment on both sides of the Border and the HSE and CDM Smith “provided an excellent response”.

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/compa...us-and-poland/

We are between a rock and a hard placed...!

"The EPA says the evaluation panels comprised 27 existing and retired personnel from organisations such as An Bord Pleanála, the departments of the environment on both sides of the Border and the HSE and CDM Smith “provided an excellent response”.

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/compa...us-and-poland/

We are between a rock and a hard placed...!

If their sloppy attitude towards wind farms is anything to go buy - I wouldn't trust An Bord Pleanala to tell me the time.

Never mind evaluate fracking or fracking research

coming your way. So be wary.

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/local-news/lock-your-gates-love-leitrim-tells-farmers-1-6863083

If fracking's not safe enough for the public health of New York State then its not safe enough for the Borders-Northwest either!

Advertisement