Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be a close enough game, I reckon Kanturk might sneak it - hard to call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Should be a tight game but Kanturk are on a high at the moment and having beaten Fr O'Neils and Charleville I expect them to beat Kilworth in the final.

Bit of a blow for Cork hurling during the week having Darren Sweetnam sign for Munster. From a Tipp fans perspective its good news but from the perspective of a hurling fan its an awful pity we wont get to see this kid don the blood and bandage in the future as he is a wonderful prospect and a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    One team from the City definitely going up to Senior while another City team definitely leaving it as Piarsaighs or St. Nicks battle to stay up.

St Nicks 1-9, Na Piarsaigh 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Bit of a blow for Cork hurling during the week having Darren Sweetnam sign for Munster. From a Tipp fans perspective its good news but from the perspective of a hurling fan its an awful pity we wont get to see this kid don the blood and bandage in the future as he is a wonderful prospect and a class act.

Aye....as a limerick fan its good for us, but hurlings loss, id much prefer to see him running out for cork than munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice crowd in for the first of the Ladies finals. Looks like perfect conditions.

For those of you watching TG4 via UPC it's in glorious HD aswell!

ht Ballinhassig 0-11 v Bandon 0-08

ft 'Hassig 1-19 v Bandon 1-15

Cork doing well 5 v 2 up after 15 mins.

Kerry defending in serious numbers - they look like Donegal at times.

edit - 'Town up by 9 v 7 in the hurling final v Sars

Cork playing very well indeed.

ht Cork 0-10 v Kerry 0-03

Sars are county hurling champions.

ft Sars 1-15 Bishopstown 1-13

edit
    And Cork are All Ireland Ladies Football Champions yet again.

They let Kerry into it in the second half and they got as close as 0-06 v 0-11 but in the last 10mins Cork really drove on their obvious superiority to win on a scoreline of Cork 0-16 v Kerry 0-07

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that Cork team are one of the best teams I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beat Kerry in Croke Park:D:D:D

Well done Cork ladies footballers,7th All Ireland victory in 8 years,a great achievement by this brilliant team. Must say I was surprised with some of the negative defensive tactics employed by Kerry at times. Once again well done Cork ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great Achievement by great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Who said we couldn't beat Kerry in Croke Park? :D:D:D. Great win by Cork though and are truly a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well done to the Cork ladies,by far the better team.

Regarding Kerrys defensive tactics - given the potency of Corks attack, what else would you expect from us to try deal with it? - and it's a sign of it's strength that it still didn't work.

Great achievement from a great team - their record speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Congrats to the Rebelettes. Once again they have come up with the goods ad shown what a superb team they are . Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Well done Cork ladies on winning the AI yesterday , from a very impressed Kerry man . Superb performance by a class team that deserve much more recognition.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What a day in Croke Park yesterday - felt as good as the first, gutted I couldn't stay for the celebrations last night. Rena's speech was superb - completely in Irish.

Briege Corkery's 11th All Ireland medal between the two sports - and to imagine that there are 12 players now with 7 AI's on the field of play, Angela came on yesterday to get her's.

I thought Kerry were very poor, I was at the Munster final and they showed some flashes of great football, whereas yesterday it was a case of damage limitation. Lot of physical play that was very much on the edge of acceptability - myself and about four referees were sitting together in the Hogan, and there were a nice few comments! :D It was like they were too focused on the physical side and forgot to play their normal football game - the big high ball into the full forward wasn't the right, it was just being lobbed in high and Stacky broke the ball the whole time.

I had Kerry tipped a long way out after seeing that performance. What was fantastic to see was that there was such a spread in the work of the team, few players wouldn't have had their best game in Croke Park, but it didn't matter in the end. Eamonn was fairly nervous - there was a fair bit of tension alright around the place before the game, since it was a final, and there was huge pressure on the girls.

Well the girls did what the fellas couldn't!!!

Attendence was well down on last years, over 16,000 there - which isn't a surprise given the fact that they game was moved from the previous weekend, lot of teams and people from outside of Ireland who had flights and accommodation sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Is any Cork supporter happy Conor Counihan has been given another two years? I'm amazed he was kept on tbh.

I would have preferred a change. He can be lacking in the tactics department and in the big games this can and has been critical.
    This Cork team are good enough to win a few more All Irelands - the quality is there, if they don't win another few - it could well be the managers fault, which would be great pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Agree that Counihan is weak in the tactics department but don't really see Cork as being so great as to think they're worth X number of All Irelands tbh. Don't think there's much if anything between them, Kerry, Cork, Mayo and Dublin all of whom are a bit behind Donegal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

corny wrote: »
    Is any Cork supporter happy Conor Counihan has been given another two years? I'm amazed he was kept on tbh.

I am surprised than 3 selectors decided to step down but one stayed along the with manager.

I would thought a clean slate would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

corny wrote: »

I am surprised than 3 selectors decided to step down but one stayed along the with manager.

I would thought a clean slate would be the way to go.

As a Cork-man, I believe a change in selectors was definitely needed. Counihan should have stepped down too though. Hopefully he can win one more All Ireland but if that's to happen he needs to seriously start coming up with tactics to win games when the A game plan isn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i suppose no chance they play the ross/castlehaven match in clon

I see Kilworth won by 3pts against Kanturk.

Kanturk had raced into a 1-4 v 0-00 lead but shooting something like 16 wides certainly wouldn't have helped them.

edit

Forgot to mention that Castletownbere beat Éire Óg in the football - 2 points in it I think.
    I thought Éire Óg would win that one apparently not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

keep going wrote: »
    Not a chance, its fixed for pairc ui ring net Saturday at 7:30. It's a balls of a place to be bringing 2 west cork teams, and its a balls of a time too. Just balls.....

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I see Kilworth won by 3pts against Kanturk.

Kanturk had raced into a 1-4 v 0-00 lead but shooting something like 16 wides certainly wouldn't have helped them.

edit

Forgot to mention that Castletownbere beat Éire Óg in the football - 2 points in it I think.
    I thought Éire Óg would win that one apparently not
    Kanturk will be kicking themselves tonight,hit 17 wides and even though Aidan Walsh was totally out of it for the 60 minutes this was a right throwaway from them. Fair play to Kilworth though,they took their chances when they came to them and deserved their victory for that.

Well done to Castletownbere on their 1-12 to 0-13 win in the Intermediate football final,a deserving win for them after many years of heartbreak losing finals,should be a great week down in the town!

Well done to Rockchapel on reaching the County Junior football championship final after defeating Glenbower Rovers 2-11 to 0-11 in yesterday's semi final.

Not a chance, its fixed for pairc ui ring net Saturday at 7:30. It's a balls of a place to be bringing 2 west cork teams, and its a balls of a time too. Just balls.....
    Great win for Carbery Rangers in yesterday's quarter final against Bishopstown considering they had 3 players sent off! Conor Lane is a far too fussy ref and from what I heard 2 of the sendings off were ridiculous and he gave some soft frees to the Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Treble20 wrote: »
    Great win for Carbery Rangers in yesterday's quarter final against Bishopstown considering they had 3 players sent off! Conor Lane is a far too fussy ref and from what I heard 2 of the sendings off were ridiculous and he gave some soft frees to the Town.
    I wasn't at the game, but heard that 2 of the sending offs were soft. I don't think any of them will miss the semi final. They were all for 2 yellow cards I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 sean86

keep going wrote: »

no i say that would to easy it dnt make much sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement