Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Treble20 wrote: »
    I heard that there was some unsavoury scenes at the St Finbarrs v Catlehaven senior quarter final championship game according to C103 fm. Any forum members at the game?

Rang a Barrs buddy who was there, he said all hell broke loose at the final whistle. Several punches thrown between a county player and an ex county player.
    He said some of the Haven crowd were calling the Barrs women names, trying to draw out the husbands. He was 5 feet away from 2 incidents that lead to scuffles - he couldn't believe it.
    While what I said above is second hand information, I expect alot of it will be written about in the papers tomorrow.

In other news Bride beat Cloyne in the relegation play off by a point, thought Cloyne would have won that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Randy Watson

Some turnaround for Bishopstown in the space of 12 months.

Would expect Sars to win the final though.

Cloyne will be devastated to go down in the manner that they did. The way the hurling championship is structured teams have plenty of chances to get themselves out of danger.

The winners of Castlehaven and the Barrs will be strong contenders to win the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ye're forgetting the biggest result of the weekend lads Michaels beating Clyda in the PIFC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Rang a Barrs buddy who was there, he said all hell broke loose at the final whistle. Several punches thrown between a county player and an ex county player.
    He said some of the Haven crowd were calling the Barrs women names, trying to draw out the husbands. He was 5 feet away from 2 incidents that lead to scuffles - he couldn't believe it.
    While what I said above is second hand information, I expect alot of it will be written about in the papers tomorrow.

In other news Bride beat Cloyne in the relegation play off by a point, thought Cloyne would have won that.
    Reading the Examiner this morning an incident 2 minutes from the end sparked off the melee at the end. I was talking to a pal of mine from West Cork earlier who happened to be at the game but he certainly wouldn't be a fan of the Haven:D. What he told me is more or less the same story that your buddy from the Barrs told you. The 2 teams could be facing fines and suspensions over the carry on.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ye're forgetting the biggest result of the weekend lads Michaels beating Clyda in the PIFC ;)
    Fair play to St Michaels,a great win and I reckon their favourites to reach the final now,I don't think either Mallow or Kiskeam will trouble them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

Reading the Examiner this morning an incident 2 minutes from the end sparked off the melee at the end. I was talking to a pal of mine from West Cork earlier who happened to be at the game but he certainly wouldn't be a fan of the Haven:D. What he told me is more or less the same story that your buddy from the Barrs told you. The 2 teams could be facing fines and suspensions over the carry on.

Jesus, talk about a over reaction. I was at the game. 1 Barrs man sent off at the final whistle, the haven man 2 mins earlier should have gone but for the Barrs man he smacked, running 40 yards to smack him back. The melee at the end was started to ensure the final whistle blew from the kick out.
    The talk of fines and suspensions is just that. Talk! It was one of the cleanest games I'd been at up till the last 2 mins.
    Barrs were slightly batter team, while still lucky to get the draw. (if that makes sence)
    I'm a fan of neither team, nor dislike either, but is be disappointed if any one was pulled up over any of the incidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

He said some of the Haven crowd were calling the Barrs women names, trying to draw out the husbands.
    Is this second or third hand info:rolleyes:. I was in the middle of the crowd on the hill, there was banter till the brawl at the end, there was insults throw back and forth Some by both sides). But this sh1te of calling women names is pretty far fetched, and probably made up by someone one wants to drag Castlehaven supporters names through the mud.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is this second or third hand info:rolleyes:. I was in the middle of the crowd on the hill, there was banter till the brawl at the end, there was insults throw back and forth Some by both sides). But this sh1te of calling women names is pretty far fetched, and probably made up by someone one wants to drag Castlehaven supporters names through the mud.:mad:

I know him well enough not to go quoting him if he was full of shít, he isn't. He told me what he saw and heard, I believe him.
    I very much doubt you heard all the 'banter' or all the 'insults' at the ground yesterday.

Fair play to St Michaels,a great win and I reckon their favourites to reach the final now,I don't think either Mallow or Kiskeam will trouble them.
    Don't know, Michaels only overcame Kiskeam by a point in the first round in Mallow, either way Vincents had a good win over Carrigaline, whoever gets to the final will have a tough 60mins of football there

Jesus, talk about a over reaction. I was at the game. 1 Barrs man sent off at the final whistle, the haven man 2 mins earlier should have gone but for the Barrs man he smacked, running 40 yards to smack him back. The melee at the end was started to ensure the final whistle blew from the kick out.
    The talk of fines and suspensions is just that. Talk! It was one of the cleanest games I'd been at up till the last 2 mins.
    Barrs were slightly batter team, while still lucky to get the draw. (if that makes sence)
    I'm a fan of neither team, nor dislike either, but is be disappointed if any one was pulled up over any of the incidents
    Well myself and Shamobuc are only quoting what we were told!

None of us are saying that the game was a free for all boxing session for the 60 minutes,it would be very shallow in comparison to what happened last January between Dromid and Derrytresk. But from the information we got the people who were there thought what happened at the end of the game was a dangerous situation. The County board are meeting now tonight and I'm sure they'll study the refs report and they'll decide if there should be punishments given out.

• Advertisement

Don't know, Michaels only overcame Kiskeam by a point in the first round in Mallow, either way Vincents had a good win over Carrigaline, whoever gets to the final will have a tough 60mins of football there
    I think Michaels were missing a few the night they played Kiskeam and have improved greatly since then,I would expect them to beat either of the 2 teams in the semi final. However Vincents are going to be very hard to beat in the final.

You can defend your club's name without making snide remarks.

I think i was responding to a snide remark, with a snide remark (petty i know, but i've calmed down now). It just gets my blood boiling when 2nd hand info or hearsay is taken as truth. Best to wait on the refs report.....

I think i was responding to a snide remark, with a snide remark (petty i know, but i've calmed down now). It just gets my blood boiling when 2nd hand info or hearsay is taken as truth. Best to wait on the refs report.....
    I'd imagine the refs report will cover incidents - not the cause of the incidents unless he heard name calling as has been suggested.

Either way, the only people who know for sure are the players themselves - and while it doesn't have a place on the football field and it's something I would hate to see/hear - players should know better than to rise to that sort of stuff because you're only giving your opposition satisfaction and in turn, a perceived upper hand

I'd imagine the refs report will cover incidents - not the cause of the incidents unless he heard name calling as has been suggested.

Either way, the only people who know for sure are the players themselves - and while it doesn't have a place on the football field and it's something I would hate to see/hear - players should know better than to rise to that sort of stuff because you're only giving your opposition satisfaction and in turn, a perceived upper hand

I think the alleged name calling was in the crowd and other supporters wives and not on the field... maybe i misread it.

I think the alleged name calling was in the crowd and other supporters wives and not on the field... maybe i misread it.
    Nope, I misread it, my bad.

That said - I wouldn't have thought that'd happen in a crowd tbh - seems like an utterly stupid thing to do

A great weekend of club championship action ahead with the Barrs v Castlehaven replay on Saturday been the main attraction I imagine. Personally I reckon who wins this will win the senior championship out. A game on Sunday evening that will draw attention is Douglas v Duhallow and the 7/4 on Douglas to win this game available at Boylesports is a brilliant price and I for one will be expecting Douglas to win this one.

I'll be attending the Intermediate football championship semi final between Eire Og and Cill Na Marta in Coachford on Saturday evening at 5 30pm. I have a relation playing on the Cill Na Martra team. While I hope Cill Na Martra win personally I think there's no stopping this Eire Og team who when on fire are a brilliant side and would be a great addition to the premier Intermediate grade IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Where are Eire Og from in Cork? Always curious about where club sides hail.

LeoB wrote: »
    Where are Eire Og from in Cork? Always curious about where club sides hail.

http://www.eireogcork.ie/location.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks for that grand bit of reading there. Always nice to put a club name to an area and likewise with the players. I always look out for club grounds when driving through the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

LeoB wrote: »
    Thanks for that grand bit of reading there. Always nice to put a club name to an area and likewise with the players. I always look out for club grounds when driving through the country.

And to be fair, the Eire Og grounds are a fantastic facility alright!

Eire Og are through to the Intermediate football championship final after defeating Cill Na Martra 1-12 to 1-9 in a tough physical encounter. Eire Og always held the upper hand throughout but in fairness Cill Na Martra battled to the end even after having inter county star Noel O'Leary sent off for a 2nd yellow card after a wreckless challenge on fellow Cork player Ciaran Sheehan in the last few minutes of the game.

Castlehaven won their replay against the Barrs 0-12 to 0-9 despite having a player sent off with 10 minutes to go. Bishopstown still remain on course for a county double after easily defeating Clonakilty in the senior football championship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Eire Og are through to the Intermediate football championship final after defeating Cill Na Martra 1-12 to 1-9 in a tough physical encounter. Eire Og always held the upper hand throughout but in fairness Cill Na Martra battled to the end even after having inter county star Noel O'Leary sent off for a 2nd yellow card after a wreckless challenge on fellow Cork player Ciaran Sheehan in the last few minutes of the game.

Castlehaven won their replay against the Barrs 0-12 to 0-9 despite having a player sent off with 10 minutes to go. Bishopstown still remain on course for a county double after easily defeating Clonakilty in the senior football championship.

What's new eh? ;)

Stinicker wrote: »
    What's new eh? ;)
    I bet Paul Galvin has been sent off more times;)

If anybody would know that stat its a cork person anyway. Obsessed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Thats right. The Barrs women can help being like they are.

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Oh hey there - how's all in last week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi wrote: »

Where did that t go. Should have read !!!!

The Barrs women cant help being like they are.[/QUOTE]

Stinicker wrote: »
    What's new eh? ;)
    I bet Paul Galvin has been sent off more times;)
    He also holds the record for being thrown out of the classroom (both as a,pupil and teacher)

• Advertisement

Douglas v Duhallow ended in a 0-12 each draw tonight,Aidan Walsh scoring the equalising point despite been heavily strapped up from his hamstring injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement