Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I think I'll give up on it. I'll just end up resenting it if I plough on with a book I'm not enjoying.

Look up the plot on Wikipedia, then tell people you finished the book and keep your opinions on the ending vague.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Antilles wrote: »
    Stage whisper?

Oh yeah! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Reading a novel at the moment in which the word "ruined" appears so often that I'm beginning to think the writer has some weird obsession with it. Everything is "ruined": ruined clothes, ruined buildings, oh, and some "half-ruined" things too. Seriously, is there a vaguer way of saying that something is in poor condition? Ruined clothes? What are they dirty or are they torn? I'm not even sure that qualifies as ruined - it's nothing a needle and thread and some Radion Automatic won't sort out. Sorry, I'm just starting to hate that word...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Kinski wrote: »
    Reading a novel at the moment in which the word "ruined" appears so often that I'm beginning to think the writer has some weird obsession with it. Everything is "ruined": ruined clothes, ruined buildings, oh, and some "half-ruined" things too. Seriously, is there a vaguer way of saying that something is in poor condition? Ruined clothes? What are they dirty or are they torn? I'm not even sure that qualifies as ruined - it's nothing a needle and thread and some Radion Automatic won't sort out. Sorry, I'm just starting to hate that word...

So you'd say the book has ruined the word ruined for you?

What's with all the spam on the board lately?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

check out the aardvark forum, ant ;)

bluewolf wrote: »
    check out the aardvark forum, ant ;)

How long has that existed? I never noticed it until a week ago, and now it's all I can see. I really have the need to talk about aardvarks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fewcifur wrote: »
    How long has that existed? I never noticed it until a week ago, and now it's all I can see. I really have the need to talk about aardvarks.

only set up in the last few days for spammers. check the forum description from the forum listing view.

ps tomorrow i'm having first cello lesson in years. i'm SO EXCITED :D

"Fewcifur would never admit to anybody where he got the ideas for his wonderful stories, but the boardsies always had their suspicions..."

• Advertisement

The first rule of the aardvark forum is that you don't talk about aardvarks.

"Fewcifur would never admit to anybody where he got the ideas for his wonderful stories, but the boardsies always had their suspicions..."

That is brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sounds like it should be on one of those M.I.L.K. greeting cards/bookmarks/magnets/keyrings.

that reminds me of those black & white greeting cards, with the old 50s pictures and funny captions
    oh i love those

that reminds me of those black & white greeting cards, with the old 50s pictures and funny captions
    oh i love those

I've just noticed your sig... very good. :)

All joy inducing :)

Going on a 4-day cruise next week. Should get time to finish Diary of the Wolf and maybe Slaugherhouse Five. So far I'm preferring DOTW. Also 5 pages from finishing a reviewable copy of my novel.

yay! i'll add it to my stack of books when it's ready!

Going on a 4-day cruise next week. Should get time to finish Diary of the Wolf and maybe Slaugherhouse Five. So far I'm preferring DOTW. Also 5 pages from finishing a reviewable copy of my novel.

Glad you're enjoying DOTW. I'm a few days off releasing a lil novella that goes in between book 1 and 2, it'll be a freebie and should give more info on the world etc.

Launch me over a copy of your novel when it's done, when it comes to constructive criticism the kung-fu is strong in me. :)

• Advertisement

Glad you're enjoying DOTW.

I didn't say that... :pac:

I didn't say that... :pac:

That's true. And I do know how much you're struggling with Slaughterhouse, but positive or negative, I do look forward to your review on Amazon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

It's been ages since I've been on here and I'm under a slightly different alias (damn password - so good even I didn't know it!).

Back to unemployment, and caught in the need-job-for-experience, need-experience-for-job vicious circle. Want to write some more and thought I'd come back on here to you guys. I like what you've done with the place. :)

Howdy TS!

Speak any foreign languages? I have a job going :)

How long do I have to learn? :P

I have nothing except a cúpla focal and the odd word of French left in my brain from school, unfortunately. What's the job?

Speak any foreign languages? I have a job going :)

I'm fluent in English and snark. Will they do?

i can speak a bit of german. hurray.

i also finally made cookie monster cupcakes. this will be my future career:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

i also finally made cookie monster cupcakes. this will be my future career:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Finally a job that makes sense to me :D

Is a cupcake the same as a bun?

• Advertisement

A bun with fancy icing, I think.

Advertisement