Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos tacky or cool?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have a tattoo that is very tasteful and records the most emotional beautiful moments in my life. It is a message to the importance people hold in my life, I hope to be adding to it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Tacky.

My advice is to not ask in this thread! Its full of close minded idiots.

Why? Is it because, shock horror, some people don't like tattoos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends on the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

IMO it depends on the Tattoo, but i know 2 brothers who both went tattoo crazy and got them all over their arms, and i have to say they look like idiots. They where quiet enough guys until they started hitting the gym, then they inked themselves up and think they are hard now. They look like 2 idiots walking around in sleevless t shirts.

My dad got 2 tattoos on his fore arms and he hates them. Always wears long sleeved shirts and regrets them big time. Never had an interest in gettting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't like them personally. It's such a big decision and you'll have it for the rest of your life. I also think it is very career hindering if you have a visible tattoo. :cool:

A lot of people give out about tramp stamps, but I think they look hot and I want one.

Dudess wrote: »
    A lot of people give out about tramp stamps, but I think they look hot and I want one.

Tramp...

...stamps aren't all bad I suppose, just not very unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Tramp...

Its a persons own decision to have a tattoo and the majority of people will say they're glad they got one. Your last few comments make you look like a close minded idiot. What one person may say is tacky another might say its a work of art. Your probably just the sort of person that the tattoo would look tacky on.

manlad wrote: »
    Its a persons own decision to have a tattoo and the majority of people will say they're glad they got one. Your last few comments make you look like a close minded idiot. What one person may say is tacky another might say its a work of art. Your probably just the sort of person that the tattoo would look tacky on.

You're.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Totally depends on the tattoo and the person, I think you have to really know yourself, what you stand for and why you're getting tattooed otherwise you'll pick something that will get outdated in no time and for this reason I never got one. I didn't have anything so close to my heart that I wanted it on me permanently besides my children but that I do consider tacky.

Has anybody seen this guy http://www.thelizardman.com/doubleimage.jpg now thats what I call a tattoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Tatoos aren't cool because there is no exclusivity associated with them, just like smoking and drinking aren't cool; anyone can do it, so where's the cool?

Being Bruce Lee, or being able to play guitar are cool because not everyone can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

Tatoos aren't cool because there is no exclusivity associated with them, just like smoking and drinking aren't cool; anyone can do it, so where's the cool?

Being Bruce Lee, or being able to play guitar are cool because not everyone can do it.

:D There's probably as many people able to play guitar as there is tattooed.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

jackie1974 wrote: »

I'd seriously doubt that. Playing an instrument requires talent, getting a tatoo doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

You're.

a c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive 4 tattoos, all in places you cant see publicly. So its not me flaunting my cool..

I dont regret any of them.

Tramp...

Some good points, then credibility obliterated by the last childish sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I don't like tattoos. I'd never get one. Some do look pretty impressive but as someone already mentioned. You'll be pretty old someday probably with grand kids, at which point you having a tattoo will be ridiculous.

a c*nt

Ah you aren't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I really like tattoos but I don't think they're 'cool' (tbh I'm not sure what that means!!) I've seen some pretty tacky tattoos, some ugly ones, some beautiful etc, but of course, all in my opinion.

Some things I've noticed though, very often the people saying tattoos are only acceptable if they have meaning don't have any tattoos themselves.

The constantly trotted out arguments against (what about when you're old, what about on your wedding day etc) don't matter to most people with tattoos because surprisingly they actually like tattoos! This doesn't go away cos they get a bit older or get married or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

As the proud owner of 8 tattoo's....yes, they're very cool. Except the one's that are tacky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How is this thread still going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

With so many people having tattoos these days the best way to make an individual statement is not to get one.

Did anybody see the picture of Sinead O'Connor and her new tattoo? It really is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Dudess wrote: »

But you'd never see it? Unless you cloned yourself and had sex with yourself. But would the clone have the tattoo too? Probably not so you'd have to pay double. So I'd say, don't go down the cloning route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

JOSman wrote: »
    Disgusting and cheap. :mad:

Tell your mates stick-on tattoos from chewing gum are not really tattoos.

In other news, Tattoos are cool. I have two. I dont regret them at all. Some places are cheap and some are expensive. I would be inclined to avoid the dirt cheap artists unless they have an impressive portfolio and good reviews from customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

jackie1974 wrote: »

I'd seriously doubt that. Playing an instrument requires talent, getting a tatoo doesn't.

Playing an instrument well requires talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Get one done in a huge gothic font that reads 'what on earth was I thinking?'
    or how about this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

state of the tattoo nation 2011: Used and abused by all the wrong people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Allrite lads! Any good ideas for a tattoo? Thinking of getting one, but im not sure what to get/ where to get it.
    I'll consider anything for a laugh

Get one on your arse, but back to the origional topic I got one underneath my shoulder (easily covered up). Its a religious tattoo and the reason I got it was not only that I am quite spiritual and have a strong faith but also it marked the ending of overcoming a horrible spell in my life of depression and an eating disorder. I think tattoos are good if as mentioned already they mean something deeply to the person such as the death of a loved one etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Tacky. Especially when they don't have any particular significance to who you are eg "a butterfly because I like butterflies".

Get one across your face if you're such a fan of them. Otherwise you're just a weekend rebel.

Advertisement