Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos tacky or cool?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so tacky i hate them on anyone- maybe a small subtle would be ok on a girl, but in general i hate them.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so tacky i hate them on anyone- maybe a small subtle would be ok on a girl, but in general i hate them.

Talk about contradicting yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sykk wrote: »
    I don't like tattoos. I'd never get one. Some do look pretty impressive but as someone already mentioned. You'll be pretty old someday probably with grand kids, at which point you having a tattoo will be ridiculous.

or when you're old and ****tin your keks, ketting a sponge down from a brute in a run down nursing home, you can look at your tatoo and think "ah ya, i was young and (cool/rebellious/foolish) once":)
    Ive one, took a few years to decide on it, its covered up, and
    its for me and my dad (dead) and son.

hate arse antlers though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Tatoos are definitely a turn off for me. I think it's quite off-putting seeing a beautiful girl whose body resembles the cover of an Iron Maiden album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Some are okay, Personnally I hate animal tatoos.... Why bother with a big dragon on your arm?

Anyway they are okay when they can be hidden, only showed to those you want to show.. And got for a reason and have a meaning... Not just got to show off.

I had my first done at 15 and don't regret it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

or how about this one?

Since the human race is an advancing species, it's a comfort to know that people with minds like the one in that photo will eventually be bred out of existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Dotrel wrote: »
    Tacky. Especially when they don't have any particular significance to who you are eg "a butterfly because I like butterflies".

Get one across your face if you're such a fan of them. Otherwise you're just a weekend rebel.

Can we not be weekday rebels too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

I like them, but I would considering one arm and the whole right side of my chest and back is covered. However worst/funniest one I seen was on a girl who had a tramp stamp with the word HARDER written on it.

[ ] Classy
    [x] Extremely fun in bed
    [?] STD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

cool the greatest form of self expression
    but some are ridiculously tacky and have no meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I love simple black tatoos, hate colour on them.

My sister has 3 black celtic designs- one on her back, one on the ankle and one on her hip.
    I've always wanted to have a matching tatoo on my ankle as hers (even got as far as sitting in the chair when I was 17) but I have yet to get over my hatred of blood and needles. I passed out when I got my belly button pierced a few years ago :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

catthinkin wrote: »
    just wondering the general opinion on tattoos everyone seems to be getting them done so tacky or cool? and do you have one ? and if so do you regret it ?

Well catthinkin.., it all depends on what type of tattoo you get and if it suits your personality (imo of course)

With this in mind, I think the tramp stamp would suit you best... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

cool the greatest form of self expression

Hey..., I think that's what Van Gogh said before cutting off his ear! On this basis, your line of reasoning may have some flaws... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

07438991 wrote: »
    Hey..., I think that's what Van Gogh said before cutting off his ear! On this basis, your line of reasoning may have some flaws... :)

but tattoos don't have negative effect cutting your ear of does
    but hey what ever works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I have two tattoos.

The one on my left shoulder blade is of some cherry blossoms and petals, and my other is of a koi fish and its on my back too but comes out onto my ribcage. I love them both and would love to get more!

Pic of cherry blossom tattoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

Love tattoos! Personally I want only black and grey but I like colour on other people. I have a magpie on my shoulder and a quote on my wrist, cant wait to get more. As long as they mean something to you I really dont see the problem. Meaningless tattoos are the reason laser removal is so popular, haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Tattoos are tasteless and trashy. They're only cool on somebody who's in cryostasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

I can't understand tattoos. You don't have the same tastes the whole of your life. Tattoos are art but permanent. You don't hang the same poster, picture or painting on your walls forever, you change your hair, your interests your attitudes so I feel sorry for people who are stuck with an image they choose in the past! - my God the crap I used to like.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I fúcking love the absolute close mindedness of people in this thread. It never fails to amuse me :D

Tattoos have to have special meaning? Nope, they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm saving up to get my first one now, it's going to be a dedication to a friend of mine who passed away.

I wouldn't get a tattoo unless it had some sort of meaning to me but I wouldn't apply that logic to other people. If they want to get a unicorn across their neck just for the sake of it, what business is it of mine?

I don't think I'd go out with a girl who had tattoos all over her face, that'd be the bridge too far. Otherwise, I'd have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Attack the post, not the poster, leave the personal insults at the door please.

Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Look OK when you're young and slim but you would wonder about how that TUPAC 4EVA forearm job is going to look with a summer shirt on when you're attending those weddings and christenings as a pensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I don't have any ...always resisted the urge but I don't mind them on others and they can look cool on many younger people , some older but complete abomination on others and if you are going to get one plastered all around your neck or face then I think you should join a rock band like the Prodigy's or summet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Just another medium. Whether thats an artform or expression
    It all depends on why its being done and how well its being done.

I would object to getting tattoos because I'm following a trend or they look really "cool" i.e stars, barbwire. I don't think tattoos should be a just platform to show your personality by getting something thousands of other people have.

There should be a genuine need within, I wouldnt a get tattoo that is in your face or "visible" unless I am committing to tattoos being an important part of my life, its a big step to get tattoos everyone can see and I don't think all those girls who got the Rhianna stars down their neck really understand how it is changing how people think of them, right or wrong it is.
    taking it seriously doesnt mean being covered in them it just means doing your research, believing in why you're getting it done
    because it is your body, its there forever and you should respect that.
    Getting a tattoo is much more than, well I just thought it looked nice.

And maybe I shouldnt be saying the way people should carry out getting tattoos but whatever manner in which you get a tattoo for what ever reason believe in it or theres no point because basically the rest of the world thinks your a tacky gobshte for getting it done.
    I don't but many people are instantly going to judge you as a person in a moral sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Have a few myself that I wouldnt mind getting rid of. On the whole they're fairly tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

wait wait wait

I have never understood this, why is everyone so concerned about how the tattoos would look when they're old, your skin will be wrinkly, by that age you shouldnt care about others judgements, your clothing will probably be quite conservative and cover, I see some older folk with faded tattoos I never think that they look horrible or stupid It just reminds me of how they were young once and lived a life to.

And the grand kids thing, who cares if your children or their children see you have a tattoo... they're probably going to be less likely to get one as your as their (grand)parent will be utterly uncool anyway.

And another thing that often comes up, the whole what if you put weight on, well yeah that could effect the tattoo but putting a large amount of weight on usually damages the skin anyway, if you have stretch marks or folds it doesnt make a difference if theres a bit of ink there, you can still enjoy your tattoo if you gain weight.. unless you can't see it anymore, not advised really :~)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

When Ronan Keating is covered in tattoos they are no longer at the cutting edge of cool.

However, I have designed a tattoo for a friend who has it plastered across his chest. I honestly didn't think he'd really do it, but he's happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Personal preference. I love some tattoos but hate others. Depends on design, quality and location of tattoo. I wouldnt say mine are ''cool'' but I love mine and wouldnt change em for the world. As I said earlier, it all depends on the specific tattoo. You cant really judge them as a whole.

Advertisement