Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos tacky or cool?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

latenia wrote: »
    To describe tattoos of wizards, snakes, dragons, hearts, roses, yin-yangs, kanji, burlesque girls etc as art is an insult to every artist who ever lived. Anybody with any of the above (and other popular tattoos I can't think of) is intellectually challenged and emotionally stunted.

That's a bit unfair, you don't think everyone that has a tattoo is intellectually challenged, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I've never seen a 'good tattoo'. They just look dirty on a person's skin from the outset and get progressively inkier and more blurred as time passes. The 'tribal style' previously popular amongst backpackers about 10 years ago and skangers today looks like the doodles I used to make on my copies in school.
    To describe tattoos of wizards, snakes, dragons, hearts, roses, yin-yangs, kanji, burlesque girls etc as art is an insult to every artist who ever lived. Anybody with any of the above (and other popular tattoos I can't think of) is intellectually challenged and emotionally stunted.
    One of my mates has newtons second law on his forearm, I suppose he put it there so he could cheat on a test being so dumb an all?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

One of my mates has newtons second law on his forearm, I suppose he put it there so he could cheat on a test being so dumb an all?

There are a large number of scientists who have scientifically inspired ink. Carl Zimmer (an American science writer http://carlzimmer.com/), is currently producing a book that is looking at scientists with tattoos http://www.amazon.com/Science-Ink-Tattoos-Obsessed/dp/1402783604
    Anybody with any of the above (and other popular tattoos I can't think of) is intellectually challenged and emotionally stunted.

I think your statement shows a low grasp of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I really commend those one word posters - way to contribute to the topic Anyway, what should one expect when the OP can break down tattoos to either being in the 'tacky' section or the `'cool.'

Tattoos are personal to people a lot of the time viewable parts of the body. They're not going to be to everyones taste. Tattoos range from prison scribbles to (in my opinion) the common, awful jagged type ones you see bouncers having.

Other tattoo you see can be cheesy (a loved ones name on their arm) or 'tramp stamps' or name written in chinese on arm.

Some tattoos can be very beautiful, detailed pieces of artwork. Some folk get tattoos to show off to people and other just appreciate good body art.

I've got a tattoo on my leg that I forget about. I think it's thoughtful and personal for me as nobody can see it unless I've go my trousers off or I'm in shorts (rare)

So tattoos can be cool and can be tacky like a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I often think that tattoos that look alright on a young person, like those ones that cover their entire arms are going to look dog rough on them when they're old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

flahavaj wrote: »
    I often think that tattoos that look alright on a young person, like those ones that cover their entire arms are going to look dog rough on them when they're old.

I have to agree with you here. in a few years time, a lot of people will have tattoos that will simply look outdated and tacky. I can see clinics popping up dealing with tattoo removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Generally fairly tacky I think - all the young ones seem to be getting them though, can't imagine ever wanting one myself. Tats on a girl's chest are the worst, used to work with a girl that had claw marks on her boobs now that was tackalicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

I've never seen a 'good tattoo'. They just look dirty on a person's skin from the outset and get progressively inkier and more blurred as time passes. The 'tribal style' previously popular amongst backpackers about 10 years ago and skangers today looks like the doodles I used to make on my copies in school.
    Quite disrespectfull to people with tattoos I think. I certainly don't think these people are retarded, that was pretty awful to say. Every second person under the sun seems to have a tattoo now. Young people think they are cool and its a must have in order to be cool. To me, What's important is what is written on your heart and soul, not on your body. If there is something important to me I will hold it so close to my heart, I do not need it enscribed on my body as a reminder because it is so important that I will never forget it. It is burned into my soul. I do think a lot of dysfunctional people are more prone to getting multiple tattoos. Obviously I don't look down on these people because they have had serious sh*t to deal with in their lives.. But I think its unfortunate to waste time and money on these marks. What's important is what's in your head.... The beliefs you have, ethics, morals... The great books or documentaries/films you've seen... Overcoming problems... Being a better person.... Not marks on your body... It means nothing. These are all shallow things that can be removed and that will leave you when you die... The soul may be eternal... Fill it with good stuff... Don't mean to antagonise anyone out there that has tattoos... But its just something I have often thought of. Peace and love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 saverboy

dont like tatoo that much...
    dont want one also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A gross generalisation, I know, but something that has led me to believe tatoos are tacky.

A guy I know had a son at the age of 18. He immediately had a large tatoo of his sons name on his arm and has since then had f*ck all to do with him by his own choice.

Being a tatoo free father i think it would have meant more to the child to have a few stories at bedtime/kick arounds with a football than half an hour in a tatoo parlour.

This is just one example and by no means a reflection on all those with tatoos.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Why not bring the picture or message with you on a sheet of paper and show it to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

So many people have them now in the hope of looking original or an individual, they all now look the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Depends on the message behind it really. I personally wouldn't get one to look 'cool.' It would have to be meaningful to justify it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A tatoo might look good now but what about in 30 or 40 years time when everyone gets old and saggy. Having said that its a persons own body and if they want one thats their business. My ex had one on her lower back and it was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

catthinkin wrote: »
    just wondering the general opinion on tattoos everyone seems to be getting them done so tacky or cool? and do you have one ? and if so do you regret it ?

Tattoo's generally are crap.
    Think about it, we are always constantly changing. How we think, what we like, how we dress. Often looking back wondering "urgh, what was I thinking :o "

You get a big tattoo on your arm at 21. How many will still think it looks cool on their arm 15 years later? ... Sure look at the mid to late 90s. Barbed wire on the arm "was awesome" - now, looks really crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Tattoo's generally are crap.
    Think about it, we are always constantly changing. How we think, what we like, how we dress. Often looking back wondering "urgh, what was I thinking :o "

You get a big tattoo on your arm at 21. How many will still think it looks cool on their arm 15 years later? ... Sure look at the mid to late 90s. Barbed wire on the arm "was awesome" - now, looks really crappy.

If you have a crap face then you are stuck with that for life , that would be really crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

LighterGuy wrote: »
    ... Sure look at the mid to late 90s. Barbed wire on the arm "was awesome" - now, looks really crappy.

It wasn't though. There's a big difference between having a tattoo that's "in fashion" (eg barbed wire, superman symbol etc) on somewhere visible like your arm, and a tattoo that means or symbolises something to you somewhere more personal. Generalising like above doesn't take into account the many angles to tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

"tattoos - tacky or cool?"

It's too general a question. You may as well say "Dogs - vicious or nice?"

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A gross generalisation, I know, but something that has led me to believe tatoos are tacky.

A guy I know had a son at the age of 18. He immediately had a large tatoo of his sons name on his arm and has since then had f*ck all to do with him by his own choice.

Being a tatoo free father i think it would have meant more to the child to have a few stories at bedtime/kick arounds with a football than half an hour in a tatoo parlour.

This is just one example and by no means a reflection on all those with tatoos.
    Love your post mate... Really good example of what I was talking about... Love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

If you have a crap face then you are stuck with that for life , that would be really crap.

Grow the f**k up dude :rolleyes:
    Handy11 wrote: »
    It wasn't though. There's a big difference between having a tattoo that's "in fashion" (eg barbed wire, superman symbol etc) on somewhere visible like your arm, and a tattoo that means or symbolises something to you somewhere more personal. Generalising like above doesn't take into account the many angles to tattoos

You make a very good point.
    Getting a tattoo that means something. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Its remembering a person, or perhaps an event in your own way :)

However, it still has to be said the above doesnt apply to every tattoo.
    I can only talk about myself and what I think (which lets be honest, my opinion as one person doesnt mean much to the next) so if someone wants to get tattoos .. it's their deal.

The only thing I can mention (again, my opinion) is that if one gets a tattoo that doesnt have a meaning for them ... will it always be as "awesome" as when they first got it.

But you know what :pac: we can disagree all we want people ... one thing thats for sure is never to get a tat of your current partner :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tatoos!!! Every second sodding person. *sighs* :(

Tatoos!!! Every second sodding person. *sighs* :(
    It seems your name is a lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm....

I watched Frozen Planet tonight

I come across this tattoo thread

I wonder if anybody ever got a David Attenborough tattoo done

Google it

Success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Allrite lads! Any good ideas for a tattoo? Thinking of getting one, but im not sure what to get/ where to get it.
    I'll consider anything for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Allrite lads! Any good ideas for a tattoo? Thinking of getting one, but im not sure what to get/ where to get it.

If you do decide to permanently mark your skin be sure to make it something meaningful to you, not something "for a laugh" you'll regret years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 happyfounder

I dont like tatoo,dont regard it as fashion

I dont like tatoo,dont regard it as fashion
    Because it's not fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Get one done in a huge gothic font that reads 'what on earth was I thinking?'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My advice is to not ask in this thread! Its full of close minded idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Never liked tattoos, never wanted to get one. I suppose they used to be a statement of individuality, albeit a strange one, but now everybody has one???

I've always thought that, like most things in life, eventually you'll get bored of it and wonder "why the hell did I get this?"

I know someone that got a tattoo of their deceased parents name on their body. I knew them well enough to know that said parent despised tattoos and probably would have flipped the lid had they still been alive. I thought that was a very odd way to remember someone???

Advertisement