Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ok so whats the story with everyone saying its gona snow in a few weeks time?
    http://www.herald.ie/news/hurricane-katia-heading-our-way-2870989.html

The news comes as it was revealed Ireland is set to be under a blanket of heavy snow within weeks.

Forecasters say temperatures matching last year's record lows of -17.5C are just around the corner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Story on a big freeze within weeks on Tv 3 news in the next few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Looking foward to reading M.T's winter outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

went onto tv3 nd come dine with me is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

bb1234567 wrote: »
    went onto tv3 nd come dine with me is on?

did you miss it then ? i seen it.. looks savage :D

snow in 3 weeks , happy days :)

• Advertisement

Looking foward to reading M.T's winter outlook

If memory serves he didnt release it last year until November, maybe if winter comes in October this year he will have to release it earlier. :D

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=62519&locID=1.2&pagename=news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Pangea wrote: »
    If memory serves he didnt release it last year until November, maybe if winter comes in October this year he will have to release it earlier. :D

Saw it on the news, as Martin King said take it with a pinch of salt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just read the following post over on UK's TWO (The Weather Outlook) boards about this coming winter....

Personally, I don't think a relatively weak La Nina is going to have much of an impact on our winter this year.

I would punt for conditions in the pacific to be pretty much neutral throughout autumn and winter.

I am more interested in solar activity, and current patterns when looking towards my LRF.

I believe that the activity has increased in this respect in recent months, and this will (in my opinion) have an impact this winter.

Early thoughts are a much less severe winter than the previous two, although perhaps lasting a little longer when any cold spells do materialise.
    I don't expect January and February to be record-breakingly mild, but equally, I don't anticipate December to be record-breakingly cold.

First opinion from my perspective is that a more "average" winter is likely, based on the balance of probability.

That's not to say I don't expect some interest from all quarters during December/January & February.

I will continue to collate the data that I use for formulating my LRF and I will issue preliminary thoughts at the end of October, followed by my full LRF on November 30th.

This post was made by a poster called "Moomin 75" - if memory serves me correct, is this not the same poster that MT Cranium works with to formulate his annual winter forecast ? If it is the same poster, it does not bode very well for a cold snowy winter........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

derekon wrote: »
    This post was made by a poster called "Moomin 75" - if memory serves me correct, is this not the same poster that MT Cranium works with to formulate his annual winter forecast ? If it is the same poster, it does not bode very well for a cold snowy winter........:mad:
    i think MT works with "Blast from the past" to formulate his annual winter forecast if im not mistaken,well im sure he did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Snownagedon then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Did Martin King offer up some statistical evidence of his own :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    Did Martin King offer up some statistical evidence of his own :D

he was jus talkin a bit of dung as usual haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pangea wrote: »

Saw it on the news, as Martin King said take it with a pinch of salt:)

No pun intended! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    No pun intended! :-D

I was walking the dog there at 9 and to my crazy belief I SAW A GRITTER!!!

dunno what it was being used for but my winter adiction light shone bright! haha :D

Iancar29 wrote: »

dunno what it was being used for but my winter adiction light shone bright! haha :D

haha jasus they must of seen tv3 news an said they would get them serviced an checked over in time..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

delw wrote: »
    i think MT works with "Blast from the past" to formulate his annual winter forecast if im not mistaken,well im sure he did last year

You are 100% correct on that Delw, thanks for the clarification ......phew!! (sighs some relief knowing there is still a chance now that MT could forecast an arctic winter!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

NIALL D wrote: »
    haha jasus they must of seen tv3 news an said they would get them serviced an checked over in time..... :eek:

haha ye thats wat it must of been! , or locals buying there own! hahaha!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

So is this where all the snow news is coming from?
    http://www.tv3.ie/news.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=39855

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Martin King made a good point about how the predictions for a heatwave last summer proved to be false.
    Although, to be fair, not all long range forecasters predicted a heatwave last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Martin King made a good point about how the predictions for a heatwave last summer proved to be false.
    Although, to be fair, not all long range forecasters predicted a heatwave last summer.

Very few did at all if I recall correctly. Well the Irish media did anyway.....

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »

Mobilisation has begun, ready for a pre-emptive strike, good military tactics. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

The temp has hardly ever been above 20C this Summer so not quite sure what you mean by muggy heat. Indeed the evenings have been notably on the cool side
    I blame the Budweiser's summer marketing promo with the Ice Cold Index phone app for the cool summer! They had their scientists make the skies over Ireland (Cork especially) cool so Budweiser didn't have to give out much free beer this summer! ;) haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Another gifted seer reckons we are in for snow starting from October. But as for backing it up, it's sounds very wooly and vague, he reckons it'll be down to "solar activity" and of course "changes in the gulf stream"...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/forecaster-predicts-start-of-freezing-weather-in-october-519631.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Veo Varadker is giving extra money to the local authorities this year in expectation of a massive freeze!
    Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has announced extra funding for local authorities to prepare for adverse winter conditions.

An extra €1.25m is being allocated through the Winter Maintenance Grant this year, meaning €11.25m will be available in total.

It is being divided up amongst councils around the country, to help with winter maintenance and keep important roads clear.

Minister Varadkar has also announced his department is buying 60,000 tonnes of salt, which will be available on top of the supply being ordered by the National Roads Authority.

“We must do everything we can to prepare Ireland for extreme weather conditions," the minister said.

"Every extreme winter in recent years has seen salt stocks running perilously low.

"Hopefully, local authorities will have access to sufficient supplies of salt this year, and sufficient resources to spread it, as a result of this extra funding.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-announces-extra-winter-funding-for-councils-519855.html

Edit: If leo says it, it must be true!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Are there any other forecasters, apart from James Madden, forecasting a harsh winter and early snowfall?

Any news reports that I've read about it all quote him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

positive weather solutions,joe bastardi i think piers corbyn,mark vogan and i've heard about a few others who are predicting a harsh winter although theyre not advertising their forecasts like james madden is. In a few articles on news channels ive heard them all quoting james maden but also saying 12 other forecasters are forecasting a cold snowy winter

This should wet your appetites.
    Some tempertures these from last winter.
    28b4677.jpg

25yvho7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

I just saw nice red berries on holly today... its very early and is a sign of an early winter.... however then i went out to the garden and my roses are starting to flower again.... sign of a longer summer... ever the signs are all messed up.
    O2 weather has 40kph wind tomorrow. Accru has 80kph wind and the UK met issued a warning on Friday evening for winds of 80mph tomorrow morning that is some difference. Weather forecasting is meant to be a science, at a GP meeting they can tell down to the minute when its going to rain. why cant they do this in Ireland... may be its got something to do with the vast area of Ireland and the very different terrain.
    I find in bad weather the best place for up to date info is http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0 raw data is so much better than a 3 minute forecast for the whole country. With all these digital channels why cant they start doing a better job?
    Sorry for the rant…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

popsmar wrote: »
    I just saw nice red berries on holly today... its very early and is a sign of an early winter.... however then i went out to the garden and my roses are starting to flower again.... sign of a longer summer... ever the signs are all messed up.

Maybe thats because the signs were never true anyway, and are usually just coincidence or a sign of past weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

i.w.o has a winter update

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement