Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hillbillyhilux

Apparently too many winter threads? Not enough I'd say.

Long time lurker first time poster.. Just thought I'd jump on the wagon and start another snow related thread.
    I was following the winter chat on here last year too and feelt I should now contribute.
    Well what sort of prepping have people been doing in advance of the snow? Not just around the house but vehicle-wise also?
    I know after last year we will be more than ready,with a wood burning stove, a good supply of logs also got 10 rolls of insulation into the attic. As the user name would suggest I bought a pickup.
    So has anyone got any tips or suggestions that they may have found usefull in previous winters that they would like to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Guys 'n gals, I've closed a couple of the other snow/winter threads that were springing up as it was getting a little ridiculous - it's only September! So keep doing as you're doing, post discussion about the coming winter in Ireland in this thread, and we'll keep the other Snow and Ice thread for talking about Arctic Sea Ice and other northern hemisphere snow, as it says on the tin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Apparently too many winter threads? Not enough I'd say.

Long time lurker first time poster.. Just thought I'd jump on the wagon and start another snow related thread.
    I was following the winter chat on here last year too and feelt I should now contribute.
    Well what sort of prepping have people been doing in advance of the snow? Not just around the house but vehicle-wise also?
    I know after last year we will be more than ready,with a wood burning stove, a good supply of logs also got 10 rolls of insulation into the attic. As the user name would suggest I bought a pickup.
    So has anyone got any tips or suggestions that they may have found usefull in previous winters that they would like to share?

What snow ? I think its time for a reality check folks. Fair enough, we got heaps of snow last year but there is no guarantee whatsoever that Ireland will get any snow at all this year.

I feel there might be a lot of disappointed people on these boards come the end of winter 2011/2012................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

derekon wrote: »
    What snow ? I think its time for a reality check folks. Fair enough, we got heaps of snow last year but there is no guarantee whatsoever that Ireland will get any snow at all this year.

I feel there might be a lot of disappointed people on these boards come the end of winter 2011/2012................

Couldnt have said it better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Only people who live on high ground are guaranteed snow every winter - above 200m asl.

Well that is what I find, never had a winter with no snow, even the mildest ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Derekon, you can't guarantee there won't be snow either :p.

Seriously, though I think most people are wise enough to know that snow is not a certainty in this country. I think it's more giddy/child-like excitement at the prospect of seeing more snow this winter. Well it is in my case anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

your right there is no guarantee of snow this winter although there is a higher chance of a cold snowy winter this year, due to la nina,jet stream low solar activity and weakened gulf stream, it may not be be guaranteed cold winter although there is a higher chance of this winter being a very cold one than a mild one ..hah :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Back in Feb 2009

I used to work in Aston, and brother picked me up that day and when i left work, it was snowing in Aston not sticking) (This was first year we moved to Streetly Sutton Coldfield, we moved in July 2008)

As my brother was driving to Streetly Sutton Coldfield, (We made a bet (I said it will stick by are house and he said he not going stick anywhere) there was no snow that was sticking, not even by the Asda down the road from us, which is 2 min drive from are house)

When we got to our road, it was all white (I told my brother to give the £10 )

Happy memories :)

I am so happy that i am on high ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

so cold outside and its september, 11 degrees in dublin, feels even colder, strong winds and heavy rain...its unbelievable its been raining hevily with strong winds non stop literally from september 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

*Bookmarks post for later use :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Pangea wrote: »
    *Bookmarks post for later use :pac: :pac: :pac:

fact ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

he who beleaves has the last laugh alot of people here like our goverment with the roads last year not prepared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

jimmy.d wrote: »
    he who beleaves has the last laugh alot of people here like our goverment with the roads last year not prepared :D

They listened this year and hav ordered a triple supply of salt.

WILL IT BE ENOUGH? hahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Did anyone see Evelyn Cusack on the weather forecast, i think it was yesterday.
    She basically said that there have been a lot of long range winter forecasts going around predicting a cold winter coming. And that everyone should ignore them because the longest a scientific weather forecast can predict is about 10days.
    She must be getting a lot of questions from people about snow this winter so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Did anyone see Evelyn Cusack on the weather forecast, i think it was yesterday.
    She basically said that there have been a lot of long range winter forecasts going around predicting a cold winter coming. And that everyone should ignore them because the longest a scientific weather forecast can predict is about 10days.
    She must be getting a lot of questions from people about snow this winter so!

I'm sure Evelyn has a look at this forum now and again. ;)

Surely the government have to realise aswell that some forecasters could be right?
    WHat else would they be going on by getting so much salt for this year? ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I'm sure Evelyn has a look at this forum now and again. ;)

she may even post for a laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Surely the government have to realise aswell that some forecasters could be right?
    WHat else would they be going on by getting so much salt for this year? ha :)

Making sure there isn't a repeat of last year regardless of forecasts maybe?

Making sure there isn't a repeat of last year regardless of forecasts maybe?

True true... but its alot of money to be spending in current times without any backup thought..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

True true... but its alot of money to be spending in current times without any backup thought..?

The cost of tripling the road salt/grit reserves to our economy would be about equivalent to the effect an otter's fart into an amazonian tributary would have on katia's path over the atlantic ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It has been very cold tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

They listened this year and hav ordered a triple supply of salt.

So we'll last a full week before they run out this year.

And as we discovered last year it is easy for the NRA to claim they have ordered massive amounts of salt but it is of feck all use if it is in a warehouse in Africa waiting for someone to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

I never understood why they had to ship salt in from overseas when it is mined on the island. Link to Irish Salt Mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Coles wrote: »
    I never understood why they had to ship salt in from overseas when it is mined on the island. Link to Irish Salt Mines.

It's the first rule of the NRA (and Irish Civil Service in general). If it seems to be the obvious, easy and efficent solution you've missed something so go for a harder solution where you already know the problems. Seriously next time your man from the NRA is on the radio listen to him do the hard sell on some stupidly complicated proposal and then dismiss the obvious solution from the interviewer/listeners with a vague answer that boils down to well it's more complicated than that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Coles wrote: »

Isn't that the mine that has a contract to supply the UK with their salt needs?

And didn't we discuss this last year and it turned out that shipping it in from southern Europe was actually cheaper and larger stocks could be delivered in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm in a child like mind when it comes to snow this year. I we don't get tons of it I will be like this

tumblr_l8nu0iLgvX1qzx2fh_thumb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

On the news on radio 1 today the were talking about severe winter weather and if it makes a return this year and having the right equipment in the house to deal with it. Some guest was talking i didnt catch his name was listing of some of the 62 items needed. Wait for this! One was having a BBQ :eek: I never laughed so much i nearly crashed the car. I just tought to myself we will all be having BBQ's if we have a winter like last year, So its to my house first Ladies and Gentleman.:D BBQ classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    On the news on radio 1 today the were talking about severe winter weather and if it makes a return this year and having the right equipment in the house to deal with it. Some guest was talking i didnt catch his name was listing of some of the 62 items needed. Wait for this! One was having a BBQ :eek: I never laughed so much i nearly crashed the car. I just tought to myself we will all be having BBQ's if we have a winter like last year, So its to my house first Ladies and Gentleman.:D BBQ classic!
    The UK Met Office were a laughing stock when the predicted a "barbecue summer" (it wasn't!!) a couple of years ago but I never thought I'd ever hear of a barbecue winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you see power outages or burst gas pipes, you might be glad of the aul BBQ ;)

(Why would a gas pipe burst? I dunno... :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the cost of having sufficient salt supplies for the same snow levels as last year (or worse), is far outweighed by the money it saves the ecomony by keeping the roads open and traffic moving

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement