Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

West wind rarely brings snow, especially snow that lasts. The sea has too much warmth for any snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Danno wrote: »
    West wind rarely brings snow, especially snow that lasts. The sea has too much warmth for any snow.

wet and miserable it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We've also had north westerlies winds at times during this Summer.
    In winter time this could bring sleet and snow, but it likely would be fleeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

In winter time this could bring sleet and snow, but it likely would be fleeting.

Yeah, the North Westerly at the beginning of June was impressive. Various records were broken/almost broken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

If the northwesterly lasted liong enough it could possibly lower the sea temperatures around enough to bring long lasting snow?
    It seems that during maunder minimum, the sea temperatures lowered in large areas of the north east atlantic, and wasnt just a lowering of air temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Harps wrote: »
    snow-ireland_1607995i.jpg

What a fantastic photo! I can't believe this is in Ireland! Brilliant :)

of course, I feel bad for the people stuck in their cars, but Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Here is a few posts that a guy in cavan posted from march2010. Seems like a different country from the snowdrift depths building up on the roads there!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65310485&postcount=37

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65310312&postcount=36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I have to say, this fúcking clammy heat (without the sun of course!), is starting to get to me, I'd do anything to be in a field of -3 snow waiting for the next blizzard to fall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Kippure wrote: »

I think the first looked like it had charts with lots of colour missing.

The second probably more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Min wrote: »
    I think the first looked like it had charts with lots of colour missing.

The second probably more accurate.

True

And Heres Mark Vogan's Preliminary UK-Europe Winter Forecast 2011-2012

http://markvoganweather.blogspot.com/2011/08/preliminary-uk-europe-winter-forecast.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Autumn has kicked in already, first major broad leaf fall at the P & P course this morning! Old timers there remarking how early it is for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folks, with June being the coldest on record for some 50 years being followed by a very cool July - the omens might now be appearing for an exceptionally cold winter for the the UK & Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

IM STILL HOPEFULL!... LAst year around this time the long range forecasts said the same pretty much ( mix winter, unsettled... blah blah blah... )

SO ye... Anyone wanna hear my forecast?................ SNOWWWWWWWW!!! :D
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Fiskar wrote: »
    Autumn has kicked in already, first major broad leaf fall at the P & P course this morning! Old timers there remarking how early it is for that.

I've noticed a few trees outside my house have started to colour already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I've noticed a few trees outside my house have started to colour already!

Very strange indeed!!.. im gonna try look into this :)

I have some fruit trees and none produced any fruit at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »
    IM STILL HOPEFULL!... LAst year around this time the long range forecasts said the same pretty much ( mix winter, unsettled... blah blah blah... )

SO ye... Anyone wanna hear my forecast?................ SNOWWWWWWWW!!! :D
    :rolleyes:

Very scientific . . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I have some fruit trees and none produced any fruit at all!
    My Grapevine hasnt produced any grapes this year. I had a good crop last year. My Pineberry bush hasnt produced any berrys. I suspect its the crappy summer we had
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Mark Vogan an Amateur Meteorologist has predicted that Winter 2011/2012 is to be excessively cold, (coldest in 100 years)His predictions are a bit extreme. He is on Face book or on his blog -Markvoganweather.blogspot.com:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I noticed that some leaves on my tree has started to turn as well, it wouldn't normally turn till end of August at least :rolleyes:

I think that this place is going to be very busy here this winter, ;) while very early days yet, nothing i have seen or heard about models or otherwise is letting me think we will have a mild winter. Granted maybe its wishful thinking! Time will tell... in the meantime trying to draft proof the house a bit better :)

eskimocat wrote: »
    I noticed that some leaves on my tree has started to turn as well, it wouldn't normally turn till end of August at least :rolleyes:

I think that this place is going to be very busy here this winter, ;) while very early days yet, nothing i have seen or heard about models or otherwise is letting me think we will have a mild winter. Granted maybe its wishful thinking! Time will tell... in the meantime trying to draft proof the house a bit better :)

And is anything you have seen leading you to believe it will be a cold one?

In fairness, at this stage its just guesswork and optimism/pessimism, there is no science involved!

And at what point did a weather outlook thread turn into a nature observance thread???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I've been following some of the discussions/theories about the effect of sun activity/ non activity and the cooling cycles of the earth (on other threads) and although there is no hard and fast rules about these things, I am inclined to side with the idea that we are entering into a cooler phase.

The caveat here is that I am no expert, far from it, this is just my own opinion from what i have read on this site and others. It just seems to make sense to me. With every theory there is often a contradictory theory so time will tell.

Nothing wrong with nature observations in my book as its often a fair reflection on what the weather is getting up too :)

eskimocat wrote: »

Nothing wrong with nature observations in my book as its often a fair reflection on what the weather is getting up too :)

This is correct, but it is a fair reflection of what nature has been getting up to in the past . . .with no indicators to the future. A lot of people have been saying that plants have been similar to last year and that must mean a cold winter to come, while conveniently forgetting that last summer and this summer followed very cold winters, meaning plant activity is only similar due to past events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have to say, this fúcking clammy heat (without the sun of course!), is starting to get to me, I'd do anything to be in a field of -3 snow waiting for the next blizzard to fall...

Amen to that. I can't wait until I have to curl up in a ball under a blanket instead of lying on top of everything not being able to sleep til dawn when the sun finally comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

In fairness, at this stage its just guesswork and optimism/pessimism, there is no science involved!

True - so I just thought I'd toss some August weather lore into the mix :D

If the first week in August is unusually warm,
    the coming Winter will be snowy and long.

For every fog in August,
    There will be a snowfall in Winter.

If a cold August follows a hot July,
    It foretells a Winter hard and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Serious amount of negative NAO the last few years.Will it still be there come winter, well there does seem to be a much greater chance these days of it continuing..

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Kippure wrote: »

that video is the most depressing thing I've ever seen :( But if you see where he's looking at the temp charts, the winter 2011 ones were normal (white) and we all know this isn't the case :confused:

it's quite depressing reading all the posts that say the mild weather will continue on into Winter. I hope it won't be like this. After 2 cold winters, I don't think I can go back to mild ones. It would ruin the entire winter (and Christmas) for me!

Fionagus wrote: »
    True - so I just thought I'd toss some August weather lore into the mix :D

If the first week in August is unusually warm,
    the coming Winter will be snowy and long.

For every fog in August,
    There will be a snowfall in Winter.

If a cold August follows a hot July,
    It foretells a Winter hard and dry.

Where are all the indicators for mild wet winters?!
    Damn optimistic rhymes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Where are all the indicators for mild wet winters?!
    Damn optimistic rhymes!

Here's one for ya ;)

When leaves fall early,
    Autumn and Winter will be mild;
    When leaves fall late,
    Winter will be severe.

and I suppose the other ones are only optimistic if you're a Snow Bunny and you get a warm foggy August following a hot July - not looking good is it?
    :):D:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement