Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

WTF is up with this weather, DO I BRING MY WINTER COAT OUT WITH ME OR NOT!!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I think Paul was having a very wild guess we will have snow on Nov the 24th:) There is no signs of any real cold coming our away for the next few weeks anyway, And looking ahead its not looking good at all for Cold, Nobody really knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

im hearing in the UK that we are in for a harsh winter both there and accross ireland, yet most sources in ireland say we will have a mild winter,why do you think it will snow on the 24th ?

Just go back and read over the previous 1320 posts on this thread. It's all in there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

For us snow lovers it's very difficult to be positive at the moment:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its early November, you're hardly expecting anything this early in the season? The outlook for anything more than 10 days ahead can change in an instant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

leahyl wrote: »
    For us snow lovers it's very difficult to be positive at the moment:(

I feel you pain, but its still early days yet:) but have the government jinxed us investing in all their grit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Harps wrote: »
    Its early November, you're hardly expecting anything this early in the season? The outlook for anything more than 10 days ahead can change in an instant

Well no I'm certainly not expecting anything now or even by the end of November but I don't know I don't have a good feeling about this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OK people need to realise that Winter 09/10 saw its first cold spell with snow on the 31st of Dec 2009 and then January 2010 we hit as low as -17.7c

Winter 10/11 came very early in November but was pretty much finished by 1st week in January.

We might yet see cold and snow and we might not, but expecting it in November based on one Winter in 50 is just folly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Villain wrote: »
    OK people need to realise that Winter 09/10 saw its first cold spell with snow on the 31st of Dec 2009 and then January 2010 we hit as low as -17.7c

Winter 10/11 came very early in November but was pretty much finished by 1st week in January.

We might yet see cold and snow and we might not, but expecting it in November based on one Winter in 50 is just folly

And it came late in Feb 09 :) Easterlies 3 winters on the bounce.
    Back to the 80's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

im hearing in the UK that we are in for a harsh winter both there and accross ireland, yet most sources in ireland say we will have a mild winter,why do you think it will snow on the 24th ?

No :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Started in mid December 2009 here but yeah its been a bit ridiculous in here recently, we could go without anything for another 2 months yet still end up with a prolonged cold spell. Proper cold is starting to get pumped into Eastern Europe this week which is something we need for an easterly to deliver later down the line and we'll inevitably get a few northerly blasts at some stage which usually deliver for Donegal

Plenty to be optimistic about yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

And it came late in Feb 09 :) Easterlies 3 winters on the bounce.
    Back to the 80's :pac:

Indeed Growing up Feb was always best chance to see snow, only issue is it doesn't usually stay around long.

Winter hasn't even started yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

Can people not just read the different threads and stoping asking the same question over and over again "will it snow"??? aghhhh
    We hope it will snow , we are looking forward to it maybe snowing , hopeful it will snow, but no one KNOWS yet.

There is so much good info on these threads that there is no reason for anyone to keep asking will it flippin snowwwwww

Just keep reading and hope for the best:P

Rant over that feels better:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

:confused:nearly all forecasters saying this winter will be very bad! thats mainly why there is so much hype about this winter and why govnt is making preparations for it!what forecasters do you even know of that are forecasting mild because almost none are, only accuweather and recently netweather apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Poor charts this evening! off for a cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

whitemocha wrote: »
    Can people not just read the different threads and stoping asking the same question over and over again "will it snow"??? aghhhh
    We hope it will snow , we are looking forward to it maybe snowing , hopeful it will snow, but no one KNOWS yet.

There is so much good info on these threads that there is no reason for anyone to keep asking will it flippin snowwwwww

Just keep reading and hope for the best:P

Rant over that feels better:cool::cool::cool:

one of the sensible posts on this thread :)
    The Fanfare on this is ridiculous and only early November

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

i had originally thought that it will snow on 24th November but a huge High Pressure is trying to ruin that prediction. cmon Lows get yer act together.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

dont worry lads the jet is pushing south http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_norhem_02.gif

jimmy.d wrote: »
    dont worry lads the jet is pushing south http://virga.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_norhem_02.gif

It's only temporary, and we've too much Atlantic between here and NE Canada, where the cold airmass is coming from. It will form a cut of low near 40 N, with another branch of the jet coming in behind and heading to our north. Looks that way for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's only temporary, and we've too much Atlantic between here and NE Canada, where the cold airmass is coming from. It will form a cut of low near 40 N, with another branch of the jet coming in behind and heading to our north. Looks that way for the forseeable future.
    seems to be changing here http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h120_00.gif

• Advertisement

That shows it passing up and around to our north. The strong westerly jet off the eastern US is no good for cold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

things really are turning to a milder start to winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Winter starts on the 21st of December.... END OF!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

SNOW UPDATE: For all you head wreckers :)There is no potential for snow for the next two weeks from now at least, mild for a while, a cooling trend late next week there may be some frost some of the nights and cool days i will update again everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Could turn interesting.

Recm2401.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Could turn interesting.

18Z says no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

18Z says no...

Correct,however ECM is wanting to project heights to the North more frequently than GFS in different runs so im trying to find a trend.Perhaps just wishful thinking then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Many straws are going to be broken this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

It's snowing today in my little hometown in the US, and the NERVE of my friends on Facebook, actually giving out about it! It's not accumulating but Jaysus, if only they could send it over, we would gladly accept it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

@ maquiladora and redsunset .... I was reading back over old posts from this time last year , you pratically had the same conversation you just had there... redsunset trying to be positive and maquiladora saying no... laughed when i saw this tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement