Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

creatinine wrote: »
    Just wondering If you think you think having such an obviously conceited and sneering outlook coupled with a general nasty attitude is acceptable (assuming you actually qualify as a doctor) for dealing with patients with achondroplasia or endocrine disorders for short stature?

Ah, come on, I think the guy was just being facetious there. Just for the record, I'm 5'6" and have weightlifted myself up to about 150 lbs, and I didn't feel particularly insulted by the comment - especially since I must admit to having a little case of bantam-roosteritis myself at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

I will be doing cartwheels, singing songs, dancing around and rejoicing if I get a score that gets me into Limerick! Fact! Let's get real here!

Anybody saying they would never go to Limerick obviously doesn't want to be a doctor very badly!

Just saying :)

I reckon limerick would be fantastic(ally challenging) and brilliant!

Wooop Wooh! roll on gamsat results

more cations-less anions please!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Anybody saying they would never go to Limerick obviously doesn't want to be a doctor very badly!

Just saying :)

There are at least 10 people in my class who had the points to go to UL either last year or the year before but choose to resit the GAMSAT. To do this some took career breaks, others spent money on prep courses, one went to England to sit the exam there. These people will all tell you straight up they would never go to UL - in your eyes they obviously don't want to do medicine very badly?

Or on the other hand they made an informed decision based on the information that was available. They felt that long term the cons of going back to study and get in somewhere else were far less than the cons of accepting a place in UL.

I consider myself very lucky to be in UCD. I remember when I was waiting for results I was in the exact same mindset i.e. I'll take anywhere just let me get in! but when you actually have the offer in your hand is when the penny will really start to drop and you will have to consider your decision. I cant speak for myself but when my sister got offered a place in UL it was one of the hardest decisions she has ever had to make (after the initial joy had worn off of accepting a place). Im not trying to make anyones decision for them but if she had the chance to go back she has said she would have resat the exam.

Just bear in mind the info that has been provided here (aside from the odd dope intent on trolling). Not that it will matter because I hope everyone here blitzes the exam and gets their pick of colleges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Is it true that the results will be out before the eighteenth of may? I remember hearing that but can't find anything on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

cliona88 wrote: »
    Is it true that the results will be out before the eighteenth of may? I remember hearing that but can't find anything on the website!

Officially results are released in "late" May. UL say that results are released to CAO by the 11th and to candidates by the 18th at the latest.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Education_%26_Health_Sciences/Departments/Graduate_Entry_Medical_School/LATEST/News_and_Events/2012?did=229427972

• Advertisement

Great thanks. That's less than ten days away. Getting seriously nervous now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

RQ11q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

This time next week we'll either be very happy or very disappointed.

Either way, i'll probable end up being very drunk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

GAMSAT resuls for 2012 are due to be relased to applicants and to the CAO on May 24th I believe.

Thanks caoman. Where did u hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Thanks caoman. Where did u hear that?

IF you look at my username, I think you'll know where and how.

:)

The wait is soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Especially if there's every chance its not going to be the news your want. :S Best of luck to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

folks, civil and constructive posts only. no further warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

If it's any consolation, if you have a borderline score, the wait til the actual offers is worse. Hang in there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

[/QUOTE]

There are at least 10 people in my class who had the points to go to UL either last year or the year before but choose to resit the GAMSAT. To do this some took career breaks, others spent money on prep courses, one went to England to sit the exam there. These people will all tell you straight up they would never go to UL - in your eyes they obviously don't want to do medicine very badly?

Or on the other hand they made an informed decision based on the information that was available. They felt that long term the cons of going back to study and get in somewhere else were far less than the cons of accepting a place in UL.

I consider myself very lucky to be in UCD. I remember when I was waiting for results I was in the exact same mindset i.e. I'll take anywhere just let me get in! but when you actually have the offer in your hand is when the penny will really start to drop and you will have to consider your decision. I cant speak for myself but when my sister got offered a place in UL it was one of the hardest decisions she has ever had to make (after the initial joy had worn off of accepting a place). Im not trying to make anyones decision for them but if she had the chance to go back she has said she would have resat the exam.

Just bear in mind the info that has been provided here (aside from the odd dope intent on trolling). Not that it will matter because I hope everyone here blitzes the exam and gets their pick of colleges :D[/Quote]

While I admire the tenacity of your colleagues, in pursuing the flavour of medicine best suited to them, I stand firm on my original statement. Anyone who wants to be a doctor, more than anything, would pursue an accredited medical degree anywhere they could: be it UCD, Limerick or Kathmandu (crosses fingers hoping medical study brings me to Kathmandu and the Himalaya at some point). Never is a very long time.

However I do recognise that the PBL syllabus may not fit everyone-so perhaps knowing you could ne'er complete a course is reason enough not to pursue it. But that is the only valid reason I can comprehend for "never" studying at X,Y or Z. This is a point which could not have been more EMPHASISED by the faculty at UL during the last open evening. A medical degree is a massive commitment ín every sense of the word.

So, if someone really wants to get somewhere, they will take any stepping stones along their path to get there. ANY.

"My foothold is tenon'd and mortis'd in granite." Walt Whitman

Remember: it's nothing new to be scared of what's new. But you probably already knew that :)

Let's remember too: UL won the tender for these medical school spots. There was uproar among the already existing medical schools. They won because they offered the judging panel the best solution to bridging the gaps ín medical education in Ireland.

Per ardua ad astra :)

Thanks for the well wishes with the results.

And if anybody gets bored waiting-check out the "Stanford" channel on youtube. Their mini med school lecture series is full of gems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hi guys - Forgive me for not reading through all 24 pages of this thread :P

Im an Arts Grad 2:2 - and tried the HPAT route this year as a mature applicant.

Will be sitting the GAMSAT in March for the GEM programs Im eligible for with a 2:2 in the UK (Notts/St Georges/Peninsula)

Id love to sit September as a practice but i just cant afford the £222 plus flights and accom in London to do it - specially sine i havnt started studying yet and would be wayyy underprepared.

I wish they'd have a centre in the North were you could do the exam :/

Anyway looks like GAMSAT 2013 for me! 10 months should be enough for a science virgin - I hope!!

Ill be doing HPAT/Mature entry for here again next year as well as the UK uni's.
    Be nice if more schools looked at you with a 2:2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bella84

For anyone interested, the UL website has changed its tune with regard to the GAMSAT release date.

It used to say that the results would be released to the CAO no later than the 11th and to candidates no later than the 18th.

Now the CAO comment has been removed and the release date for us is changed to the 21st. Doesnt seem to make much sense to me since theres only a weekend (a non working one for ACER?) in between!

This is feckin awful, I havent a fingernail to call my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Was pretty laid back about it (well more putting it to the back of my mind) but having a bit of a freak out about it now. ITs gonna be 4 long days.

As regards results day, it was on a friday last year which would have equated to the 18th. Also they were speculating on newmediamedicine.com that it was on the 18th as well.

Think Im getting drunk thursday night anyway :D

For gamsat UK I got an email on at 11pm on tuesday to say the results would be out at 6am on thursday. Sooo hopefully we will all get an email very soon!

• Advertisement

Man, it's bad, I cant remember ever anticipating anything this much, and to think I actually wanted to pursue Psych as a career, Jesus, I'll be the one needing the help soon!

me too. the worst thing is, i know its very possible that ill end up with a boarderline score and have this feeling for another three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

*twiddles fingers. Refreshes mail.
    1 new mail.
    Heart rate quickens.
    Message from groupon offering Scandinavian planting pots.
    Expletives.
    Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

*twiddles fingers. Refreshes mail.
    1 new mail.
    Heart rate quickens.
    Message from groupon offering Scandinavian planting pots. Giant Beanbags
    Expletives.
    Repeat
    The only change from my exact situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marmarr

Hi, I'm the first year rep for GEMS students in UL in 2012...basically here to answer any questions UL kids have to ease the transition from life to UL GEMS life... I know it is early to be posting here, but my exams are coming up and then I'm off to SE Asia for the summer, so here is the link to the FB group which is there to provide a forum of contact with UL Med students...http://www.facebook.com/groups/201089616673238/
    Best of luck to all of you with your futures in Medicine, be it in UL (daycent) or wherever you end up. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

This is torture. Actual torture. I mean, would it actually kill them to give us a date?

/rant

Best of luck to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sarah1379

Love it Biologic!

Is it killing everyone else that they (being the dark gods at Acer) more than likely have our results and we just… can’t… have them until some random date that may or may not be this Friday?! Grr. Just gimme gimme! Seriously need some sort of distraction from this waiting game.

Amazing how many times you can refresh a page even when you know beyond all doubt that it's too early in the month, late in the day etc for your email to be there, isn't it?

If I get one more irrelevant email lulling me into a false sense of hope I may vomit.

I dont give a flying F*CK about this seasons bloody range of crop tops, Topshop, so stop tellin' me about them!!!!

It's as if these people dont know I'm waiting on Gammy results........

:mad: x a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Nanorman

Biologic wrote: »

Haha what a great site! It's quite annoying to hear a few days before the end of our two month wait that the release date of the results has been pushed forward, but maybe it will be worth that wait?! :) I hope everyone has something to pass the time, no one deserves to be sitting at home, aimlessly refreshing pages! Best of luck to everyone, I hope with less people sitting the exam, everyone that has been a part of the Boards.ie Gamsat forum for Gamsat '12 gets what they want! (including the people who just read/observe) :D Maybe it will be Friday at 9:01am? :P

http://whatshouldwecallmedschool.tumblr.com/post/21387788728/when-exam-grades-arent-up-when-theyre-supposed-to-be

Advertisement