Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know it's only a short video re: statistics, but unfortunately I can't listen at the moment.

Would anyone be kind enough to give a breakdown of the stats he mentions, specifically regarding teenage girls.

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Paully D wrote: »
    I know it's only a short video re: statistics, but unfortunately I can't listen at the moment.

Would anyone be kind enough to give a breakdown of the stats he mentions, specifically regarding teenage girls.

Many thanks.

Basically, from 2011 onwards the self harm rates with girls between 10 -14 grew by 60 something percent. In this case, self harm means hurting themselves but not fatal.

This boils down to the advent of social media and commercial accessibility to smart phones. This focus is on girls as they generally will be more snide towards each other and girls focus their struggle internally, on themselves. Boys will release their struggle on others which means their self harm rates are much lower.

The recommendation is more physical freedom for kids under 10 and no social media accounts until High School.

It's a fascinating listen, it's everything I've been trying to say to my partner but laid out simply and in basic terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's probably the best Joe Rogan podcast I've ever listened to, both fascinating and will be helpful when my kids are older.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Basically, from 2011 onwards the self harm rates with girls between 10 -14 grew by 60 something percent. In this case, self harm means hurting themselves but not fatal.

This boils down to the advent of social media and commercial accessibility to smart phones. This focus is on girls as they generally will be more snide towards each other and girls focus their struggle internally, on themselves. Boys will release their struggle on others which means their self harm rates are much lower.

The recommendation is more physical freedom for kids under 10 and no social media accounts until High School.

It's a fascinating listen, it's everything I've been trying to say to my partner but laid out simply and in basic terms.

The stats are even worse than that. Self harm grew by 189% in 10-14 year old girls. That age group never knew a world without social media.

Boys tend to bully each other physically by punching each other in the face, whereas girls tend to bully by damaging each others social relationships i.e. creating rumours, spreading lies, doctoring photos. The likes of instagram magnify this exponentially. They can even do it anonymously so without repercussion.

Thank f*ck I don't have daughters, jaysus!

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I didn't really get how this was a conclusion. Everything else made sense to me except this. I don't see how more personal freedom for children is the antidote to all those damning statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

The standard of these podcasts is getting better and better. Not only has the set evolved but the guests he's getting in are second to none!

Podcast with Jordon Peterson was a goodie if people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    The standard of these podcasts is getting better and better. Not only has the set evolved but the guests he's getting in are second to none!

Podcast with Jordon Peterson was a goodie if people are interested.

Just in case you were not aware there a 5 jp jre podcasts - all 5 are excellent

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I didn't really get how this was a conclusion. Everything else made sense to me except this. I don't see how more personal freedom for children is the antidote to all those damning statistics.

It brings more social awareness, responsibility and confidence to kids.
    I used to shelter my kids, but in the last year I've allowed them more freedom, but with check-in restrictions. The change in them is unbelievable in how they just get up and do things, are less dependent on devices, more confidence and much improved social communication.

For example, my son yesterday evening wanted to go to a friends house that is across a main road and in another estate.
    As soon as he got there, he got on the wifi of the family, sent me a message that he was there. Then before leaving, he sent me another message to call him so that he could let me know what he was doing. It was no bother to him, a year ago I would have freaked out at that prospect :)

So I can understand what he is saying here.

Mike Tyson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mike Tyson

Joe looks the same size as Tyson there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

The Kanye West podcast is going to be an absolute Sh1t Show. NO matter what Joe ask's Kanye will have his own answer and more than likely it wont be linked to the question.
    He's a complete fool that's totally disconnected with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The Kanye West podcast is going to be an absolute Sh1t Show. NO matter what Joe ask's Kanye will have his own answer and more than likely it wont be linked to the question.
    He's a complete fool that's totally disconnected with reality.

Have you ever watched an interview he has done he does answer the questions he is asked.

But you seem to have already made your mind up that he is going to be a rambling crazy man that isn't going to answer the questions Joe asked him.

I'm very much looking forward to it because we'll a glimpse into how the mind of one the greatest rap artists of our generation works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I'm very much looking forward to it because we'll a glimpse into how the mind of one the greatest rap artists of our generation works.

Debatable :)
    But to your point I do think he will answer his questions put to him but Id be very surprised if he comes from a position of facts and evidence which I feel Rogan always asks of his guests.

I personally dont really care what he has to say as its a bit like having the worlds greatest footballer on and asking him about whats wrong with society. Why does his opinion matter really, He should talk about what hes an expert in which would be football
    I dont want or need to know about the state of Hip hop in 2019, I know my history on the topic and dont really want to hear about his thoughts on the future.
    But I get a lot of people will be interested but I dont think he should be put up as an authority on anything outside of Hip hop or expensive runners and absolutely terrible clothing. And Rogan's best shows in my opinion are the ones where he has experts on.

There's going to be a stream of absolute nonsense coming out of Kayne's mouth and I can't wait to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

I don't like him or, for the most part, his music, but you're doing the man a disservice by calling him a 'rap artist'. He's completely and successfully transcended hip hop. His greatest contribution to popular music has been from behind the mixing desk, producing music that's now only tangentially related to the genre he started out in. He's adventurous and experimental in a way that commercial rap artists no longer are.

Jack Dorsey was pretty interesting if not a bit diplomatic. I enjoyed Travis Barker but I used to a be big blink 182 fan in my youth.

Any time I see one listed as ".....is a stand-up comedian, writer.... ", no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

He is still trying to justify the Jack Dorsey interview with tonight's guest. He's brought on another lad who interviewed Dorsey who is now saying "Well I don't really know how much Dorsey really knows about how individual cases are banned".

I'm with Alex Jones!!

He is still trying to justify the Jack Dorsey interview with tonight's guest. He's brought on another lad who interviewed Dorsey who is now saying "Well I don't really know how much Dorsey really knows about how individual cases are banned".

I'm with Alex Jones!!

If they repeatedly break terms of service, they get banned. Particularly when violence is incited in the real world. Alex Jones did this. That's what I gathered.

If they repeatedly break terms of service, they get banned. Particularly when violence is incited in the real world. Alex Jones did this. That's what I gathered.

Yeah but they cited the case of Kathy Griffin was called for the doxing of the Covington Kids, who was not banned. Jack Dorsey said on the Rogan podcast that doxing was a reason why they banned people. It seems that there are different rules for liberals and minorities.

Joe has got a huge amount of heat over that podcast. it's just not good enough for him to play dumb instead of asking the hard questions.

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about that example but was an isolated incident. Alex Jones repeatedly broke terms of service. Emphasis on repeatedly.

Where has joe gotten a huge amount of heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I don't know anything about that example but was an isolated incident. Alex Jones repeatedly broke terms of service. Emphasis on repeatedly.

Where has joe gotten a huge amount of heat?

The jd podcast was taken down 3 times - I believe at one stage it had 34k dislikes - that is incredible - for joe to spend an hr explaining and apologizing for a pod speaks volumes - the redban and forrest pods carried the dislikes over - i cant remember a pod where joe apologieses so much or at least tries to explain the interview.

He blames yt for editing and taking down the pod and also removing comments

He is being absolutely hammered over it!

I don't know anything about that example but was an isolated incident. Alex Jones repeatedly broke terms of service. Emphasis on repeatedly. Where has joe gotten a huge amount of heat?

Lot of attacks from his peers, dislikes were multiples of likes (which is very odd for him), and accusations of doctoring the comments - People were saying that Joe and Jamie were removing comments, but it seems like they just changed the way that the comments were sorted. And of course the fact that Jack Dorsey has a share in one of the companies that sponsors JRE which is a huge conflict of interest. He was FAAAR too soft on him, and allowed him plead ignorance on anything negative. I don't think that he would have accepted this from any other guest.

I'd no idea it go so much hate. I thought the Jack Dorsey podcast was really interesting. I've no interest in twitter myself but it opened my eyes to the effect and influence it has. Radiolab did a podcast on the evolution of facebook's censorship path. It's really fascinating and almost impossible to create rules to fit all.
    Lot of attacks from his peers, dislikes were multiples of likes (which is very odd for him), and accusations of doctoring the comments - People were saying that Joe and Jamie were removing comments, but it seems like they just changed the way that the comments were sorted. And of course the fact that Jack Dorsey has a share in one of the companies that sponsors JRE which is a huge conflict of interest. He was FAAAR too soft on him, and allowed him plead ignorance on anything negative. I don't think that he would have accepted this from any other guest.

Joe has never been tough on guests. That's the way he operates. Rarely is it an argument. He's agreeable. This isn't Vincent Brown. Joe will often reflect back in a further podcast the issues he had with a particular guest, but he'll rarely address it in the moment. Take how it talked about Elon Musk to Sam Harris. He wants his guests to enjoy themselves and talk about interesting things. Joe isn't trying to be Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson. It's chat, not a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The latest pod is brilliant. Talks for an hour on just the podcast itself. Highly recommended.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The latest pod is brilliant. Talks for an hour on just the podcast itself. Highly recommended.

I found it more interesting than the Doorcey pod it's self.

He was pretty stoned by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Wow, don't have links but easy to find, 3 guests lately - Brian Cox
    Sam Harris
    Tim Pool

Fantastic episodes!

edit cos I'm a nice guy :P

https://youtu.be/02ux1dKNPXo Tim Pool

https://youtu.be/ZA106wrMUe4 Sam Harris

https://youtu.be/wieRZoJSVtw Brian Cocks

Found it very difficult to listen to Tim Pool. Very annoying voice. Similar to Ben Shapiro.

Found Yang to be very interested. He's preaching to choir regarding UBI with me though. Not a hope the US will elect him considering how invested they are in the American dream. I'd love to see him debate some of his points though. I've known for some time that automation was on the way but I never made the connection between Trump being elected and it's rise before. Welfare state is the future folks :pac:

• Advertisement

Yang is the decent democrat they need.

This is someone I would vote for if I was American, this is a candidate that can beat Trump.

Advertisement