Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strikeforce Overeem V Werdum

Options
123457»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ya gotta love the American sporting attitude. Win the title of your National Basketball Association, therefore become WORLD Champions :rolleyes:

In fairness the winner of the NBA would destroy any team from any other country, club or national side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Overeem let his arrogance take over here, a K1 level fighter ... a K1 GP HW champ should have been able to destroy Werdom in the stand up yet in places he let Werdum get the better of him.

No question Overeem won the fight, but with that performance he really needs to listen to his corner !!!!!!!

Ok Werdum was dropping like a hot potato but Overeem has been in the game too long now to be playing games like he did, if it was Fedor ..... yada yada .. there would have been a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jayteecork wrote: »
    In fairness the winner of the NBA would destroy any team from any other country, club or national side.

Barcelona, being national champions, would beat any team in Europe and the world...... but they still gotta go and compete in competitions to call themselves European and World Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

The problem with the Overeem Werdum fight was they respected each others area's of specialty too much. You'd a top level grappler against a top level striker where neither was willing to even try venture slightly into the others game for fear of being taken out.
    Werdum was only doing enough striking to get hit so he could flop down and Overeem wasn't having any of the ground game. Werdum wasn't standing for long enough for Overeem to get any rhythm together and to get comfortable. He wasn't throwing enough knees for fear of being caught and taken down too.
    I found it hard to watch but I agreed with the judges. Overeem wasn't in any danger and werdum never had any control over where the fight happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

if6was9 wrote: »
    The problem with the Overeem Werdum fight was they respected each others area's of specialty too much. You'd a top level grappler against a top level striker where neither was willing to even try venture slightly into the others game for fear of being taken out.

Agreement, sometimes styles don't make fights

• Advertisement

Dos Santos would dance on top of either of these two.

Would like to see Big Country against Overeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bit of a piss poor event overall tbh. Was very impressed with Masvidal though. His striking has come on something fierce. Credit to Noons though. The chap can take some serious punishment.

Barnett V Rogers was ok although Barnett's speech at the end was a bit.... :/

Overeem V Werdum wasn't great. Very disappointing from both really. Werdum was pretty awful, although I personally think his stand up was a lot better than Overeem's though he looked exhausted very very early on.

Overeem was very strong and easily defending takedown after takedown but his cardio was sh*t and couldn't finish. I didn't think his stand up was good at all. Landed a few knees and punches but didn't think he landed as many combination's as Werdum.

"40lbs of whoop ass" indeed.

Could've gone either way in truth and easily could've gone to a 4th which would've been the better call imo.

I fully expect Silva to beat Overeem particularly if he fights the way he did in the Fedor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Rubbish fight.Strikeforce is only good for Diaz fights and maybe melendez but now Diaz has gone over to ufc its almost worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

paddythere wrote: »
    Rubbish fight.Strikeforce is only good for Diaz fights and maybe melendez but now Diaz has gone over to ufc its almost worthless

That's a bit harsh.
    There's plenty of exciting fighters left in Strikeforce. To say that the organisation was resting on the back of Diaz is stupid and an insult to all the other great fighters there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dean09 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh.
    There's plenty of exciting fighters left in Strikeforce. To say that the organisation was resting on the back of Diaz is stupid and an insult to all the other great fighters there.

Agreed.

Almost every Strikeforce I've seen has been thoroughly entertaining. Ok, the recent one was an exception but the last card with Melendez and Diaz/Daley was an amazing card from start to finish.

Challengers is also a pretty decent show to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

paddythere wrote: »

Did you watch Masvidal Noons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Did you watch Masvidal Noons ?

I found that fight pretty satisfying simply because it was a brawler being picked apart by a more technical striker. That may be my prejudices showing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I found that fight pretty satisfying simply because it was a brawler being picked apart by a more technical striker. That may be my prejudices showing though.

Noons is a brawler? :confused:
    I think if it was a 5 round fight Werdum would've won, oh well..

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Noons is a brawler? :confused:
    I think if it was a 5 round fight Werdum would've won, oh well..

He has a tendency to swing for the fences once he gets going in most fights I've seen of his. Also feel free to correct me if anyone thinks I'm wrong on this, but does Noon's head movement seem to consist of massive bobbing and weaving motions? He never really seemed to move his head otherwise.

Don't forget Noons could have gotten the decision over Diaz in the last fight.

I thought he won 3 rounds to 2.

That wa s great fight, and if you remember Diaz's face was a mess after whereas Noons' was not.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Don't forget Noons could have gotten the decision over Diaz in the last fight.

I thought he won 3 rounds to 2.

That wa s great fight, and if you remember Diaz's face was a mess after whereas Noons' was not.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging his abilities. He's good at what he does. I just tend to find his style messy when I'm watching. Though thats true of alot of people's striking.
    I suppose so long as its not Matt Riddle, its forgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think you'll find it was the complete opposite way around. it was the technical Pro-Boxer being taken apart by the former street-brawler!

Advertisement