Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I think it's ok to follow some organised religion, to worship something and live their life in a way that does best by that religion and hence their fellow man.

So catholics for example believe in God and Jesus and all jazz and live their life according to the bible, the ten commandments etc. That's cool.

However, to think that the world was created by some God and that we didn't evolve is just plain crazy. These people I can't take serious.

People living their lives according to 10 commandments = good way of living your life.

People believe God created the earth and we all came from Adam and Eve = cracks me up everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Fremen wrote: »
    He may have been a mass murderer, but he's hardly a pathological liar. He's an important primary source.

A primary source maybe but given that he was the Reichsminister für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda he can hardly be regarded as a totally credible one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

i think athiests are like a new religion. alot of religion has started and gone away over the years but god still stays there , so i think it will go away in a few years and god will still be there :p and i wondre what dawkins and athiests will say then when they are ending up either looking stupid or even going to chruch themelves?:p

i dont think athiests are bad i just think they are a bit foolish and that they need to wake up abit and look at what they are saying. i feel sorry for them and prey for them , but they dont beleive so it makes no diference i guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Matthew23 wrote: »
    i dont think athiests are bad i just think they are a bit foolish and that they need to wake up abit and look at what they are saying. i feel sorry for them and prey for them , but they dont beleive so it makes no diference i guess. :(
    Don't label all atheists that way. I'd imagine the vast majority just don't believe and don't care what others believe. It's the vocal minority that are forming a religious like group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Min wrote: »
    Yet he says 'most well received', he doesn't say anything bad about the people there in general, it seems he simply judges them for being more religious which he equates to being intolerant, if we look at what he is implying but with no evidence to support it.

I think you'll find his audiences aren't made up of a random sample of the local population. Religious people don't go to atheist talks. He can only judge his reception based on the reception he gets from his audience.

i think athiests are like a new religion. alot of religion has started and gone away over the years but god still stays there , so i think it will go away in a few years and god will still be there :p and i wondre what dawkins and athiests will say then when they are ending up either looking stupid or even going to chruch themelves?:p
    I don't see why makes you think they'll be going to church themselves.

And monotheism has only been around for a few thousand years.

Many gods have come and gone. The god that you imagine today is nothing like the god that would have been imagined a few thousand years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

makes a change from you lot preying on us!!;)

Einhard wrote: »
    makes a change from you lot preying on us!!;)

well we always prey for you even if you dont believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I think Einhard was referencing your appropriate spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Sweet irony! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Am I the only one who read the title and expected a story about an Atheist group burning down churches or killing a priest? Since when is mocking somebody "Going too far"?

• Advertisement

Sweet irony! :D

i dont know irony can u tell me why this is irony?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The signal has gone out and here come the defenders of christ and god and that crowd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1huPYerp0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: To be honest with you, I couldn't give a fiddles if Richard Dawkins or anyone else decides to ridicule my beliefs as I'm quite capable of defending my Christian beliefs from mostly ill-informed ridicule. I expect this as a part of everyday reality. Part of what I find that Christianity calls me to do is to try and explain things in as clear a way as I humanly can without taking a whole lot of offence over it. It's much better that these things are being discussed than not.

Nobody knows for sure what religious beliefs Hitler held towards the end, but he spoke a good bit about the 'Lord' and the 'Creator', and he also spoke out against atheism on many occasions.

As a tool, certainly. Hitler's statements on beliefs range from denying Christianity, wanting to eradicate it, to praising it, to thinking that Islam was better etc.

In private memoirs of other Nazi contempoaries he held Christianity much less favourably.

Read the whole article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

fedor.2. wrote: »
    He'll be sorry when he's in hell
    He does not need to go there, there plenty of it here on Earth.

philologos wrote: »
    As a tool, certainly. Hitler's statements on beliefs range from denying Christianity, wanting to eradicate it, to praising it, to thinking that Islam was better etc.

In private memoirs of other Nazi contempoaries he held Christianity much less favourably.

Read the whole article.

What is the point you are making?

What is the point you are making?

Hitler used Christianity as a tool to pursue his goals. It doesn't necessarily believe that he himself actually believed in it. His private statements cast a lot of doubt on that in fact.

Hitler used Christianity as a tool to pursue his goals. It doesn't necessarily believe that he himself actually believed in it. His private statements cast a lot of doubt on that in fact.

OK.

Nobody here has insinuated he was a christian though (I don't think).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's wrong with ridiculing stupid beliefs? :confused:

What's wrong with ridiculing stupid beliefs? :confused:

Nothing, if we can confirm that they are stupid. It can be equally stupid to misplace ones skepticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Personally, I believe that if an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter!) has a point to make and they make said point, more power to them. If that point is on religion, and how the believe some part of it is wrong, or how some part of it causes terrible suffering then their opinion deserves respect.

What gets on my nerves is when people react with shock to someone believing in God... "YOU believe in God? I would have thought you had more sense". That kind of thing. The vast majority of Christians, for example, don't believe in creationism, don't take the bible as fact, don't think that homosexuality is a sin (does that make them non-christians :confused:) etc. Plenty of intelligent, reasonable human beings believe in God for their own personal reasons. Ridiculing them, or their beliefs, serves no purpose in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

elefant wrote: »
    Personally, I believe that if an Atheist (or anyone else for that matter!) has a point to make and they make said point, more power to them. If that point is on religion, and how the believe some part of it is wrong, or how some part of it causes terrible suffering then their opinion deserves respect.

What gets on my nerves is when people react with shock to someone believing in God... "YOU believe in God? I would have thought you had more sense". That kind of thing. The vast majority of Christians, for example, don't believe in creationism, don't take the bible as fact, don't think that homosexuality is a sin (does that make them non-christians :confused:) etc. Plenty of intelligent, reasonable human beings believe in God for their own personal reasons. Ridiculing them, or their beliefs, serves no purpose in my opinion.

there's hardly a difference between believing in adam and eve and believing that theres a magical man in the sky who controls everything though in fairness. that's what amuses me about christians, the whole "oh creationism is silly, its people taking things to extremes. me, i just believe in a god who sent his son to earth to be born of a virgin, perform miracles, die and rise from the dead, you know... the sensible stuff" angle they seem to take nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Helix wrote: »
    there's hardly a difference between believing in adam and eve and believing that theres a magical man in the sky who controls everything though in fairness. that's what amuses me about christians, the whole "oh creationism is silly, its people taking things to extremes. me, i just believe in a god who sent his son to earth to be born of a virgin, perform miracles, die and rise from the dead, you know... the sensible stuff" angle they seem to take nowadays

I don't think most theists believe God controls everything either. Plus, Evolution pretty much disproves creationism. I doubt the existence of God can be disproved in such a way.

[Maybe my bad for mentioning Christianity btw. I'm pretty positive most 'Catholics', for example, are not true Catholics at all.]

elefant wrote: »
    I don't think most theists believe God controls everything either. Plus, Evolution pretty much disproves creationism. I doubt the existence of God can be disproved in such a way.

[Maybe my bad for mentioning Christianity btw. I'm pretty positive most 'Catholics', for example, are not true Catholics at all.]

Evolution doesn't disprove the idea that God could have created the universe and all that is in it including its processes and laws.

As for God controlling everything, I do think that He has full authority and can exercise full control, but has also allowed us room to express our free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

As for God controlling everything, I do think that He has full authority and can exercise full control, but has also allowed us room to express our free will.

Baaah!"£$%%^^ zzzzzzzzzzzzzz'a'fkljsd'lfkajs'lfkjasdl'fkajsdl'fkj

According to you, I say this with God's approval, and apparently his full control and full authority.

Blessed is the word of the Lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He has full authority and can exercise full control, but has also allowed us room to express our free will.

you cant have both

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Helix wrote: »
    you cant have both

It's simple, you have a choice, but if you make a choice that he doesn't like you burn in hellfire forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Dawkins is a great man, I’ve seen many of documentaries and done a little reading about him...I think everything he says has value and the people who say his wrong to ridicule bizarre believes are in most cases the same people who would call someone crazy for believing in aliens...

I mean which is more ridiculous, believing in aliens or believing in God(as depicted by religion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Haelium wrote: »
    It's simple, you have a choice, but if you make a choice that he doesn't like you burn in hellfire forever.

Hmm....this "free will" thing that everyone seems in favour of doesn't seem to be as good as it sounds...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Whilst I have zero time for religion, I find Dawkins to be an obnoxious ass with nothing really particularly interesting to say. I really REALLY don't understand why he is given so much attention by the media.

Advertisement