Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I think what people forget is, that it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in him.

Big Bang theory, created by man for man. Everything came from nothing. How? Make up a new theory!

My only problem is when theory is put out as fact, evolution, global warming and big bang are all theories. Yet they are thought in school as fact.

Religion is faith.
    It's like a relationship, you have faith in your other half. But we humans always need hard proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nabber wrote: »
    I think what people forget is, that it takes more faith to not believe in God than to believe in him.

Eh.... What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

biko wrote: »
    Militant Atheism hasn't killed anyone, Christianity and Islam has killed thousands.

I would doubt this really. As others tend to brush aside, atheism has been used as a vehicle by other causes for mass murder much as formal religions have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

philologos wrote: »
    I would doubt this really. As others tend to brush aside, atheism has been used as a vehicle by other causes for mass murder much as formal religions have.

But what you really mean here is anti-theism

But what you really mean here is anti-theism

I would consider militant atheism and anti-theism to be much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is beyond ridiculous, even for you.

This is beyond ridiculous, even for you.

Not really. What is more ridiculous is the claim that somehow atheism is going to make the world a better place.

Even if faith in God was the beginning of intolerance and hatred (which I don't believe it is), it is evident that other intolerances and hatreds will continue to exist into the world into perpetuity. It's a woeful argument for biko to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

It takes more faith to not believe in santa than to believe in santa.
    Big Bang theory, created by man for man. Everything came from nothing. How? Make up a new theory!

No, it states that everything came from an extremely hot and dense state that rapidly expanded and cooled down(It's currently expanding and cooling actually). Please do a quick google search, it's quite interesting once you get into it.
    My only problem is when theory is put out as fact, evolution, global warming and big bang are all theories. Yet they are thought in school as fact.

No, they are taught as scientific theories, however a scientific theory is not just an idea, it must have a lot of evidence to become a theory, but science is all about theories being perfected and becoming more accurate through constant experimentation. Once we have a better theory, it is replaced(Example: Newtons theory of gravity was replaced with Einsteins theory of relativity).

**** man, this is all junior cert level stuff.

Religion is faith.
    It's like a relationship, you have faith in your other half. But we humans always need hard proof.

Hard proof is what allows you to type this on your PC right now.

"Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

That may be true, but that doesn't stop some people from being agressive about thier beliefs (regardless of what it is they believe).

Some people being the operative word. I'm a Catholic. I don't begrudge other their beliefs (or lack of same). All I ask is that others respect mine. If they don't there really isn't a lot I can do.

A lot of the time on boards you hear 'there's no God'; 'invisible friend', etc. But until you experience God through a deep faith, well, you really cannot begin to understand it.

The easy path is to ridicule Him - and all that He has created. I have taken a slightly more difficult one. But no regrets - ever.:)

Not really. What is more ridiculous is the claim that somehow atheism is going to make the world a better place.

Who's making that claim?
    Even if faith in God was the beginning of intolerance and hatred (which I don't believe it is), it is evident that other intolerances and hatreds will continue to exist into the world into perpetuity. It's a woeful argument for biko to make.

I haven't come across anyone who thinks god was the beginning of intolerance and hatred, nor have I met anyone who believes that these things will magically disappear along with religion.

• Advertisement

Haelium wrote: »
    "Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings".

How very sad that you quote something like that. It wasn't the religion that flew those planes into buildings, rather fanatics using it to hide behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Who's making that claim?

I haven't come across anyone who thinks god was the beginning of intolerance and hatred, nor have I met anyone who believes that these things will magically disappear along with religion.

It'd be a good start though.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    How very sad that you quote something like that. It wasn't the religion that flew those planes into buildings, rather fanatics using it to hide behind.

Those guys at NASA were fanatical too. Fanatical about science. But are you seriously going to suggest that without the corruption of Islam that they would do it anyway?

Well why did they do it then? For the craic?

What's wrong with ridiculing stupid beliefs? :confused:

From YOUR perspective. It is both shameful and disrespectful. The funny thing is that the people who go to extremes to insult God are the ones seemingly brimming with aggression and intolerance.:)

I think you'll find that evolution is a fact.

Edit: Also, the Big Bang theory doesn't state that something came from nothing. It doesn't concern itself with that.

Those guys at NASA were fanatical too. Fanatical about science. But are you seriously going to suggest that without the corruption of Islam that they would do it anyway?

Islam was a convenient vehicle for them. That was all. FWIW I have a great respect and admiration for Science and its achievements. But it has also made some HUGE mess-ups. But should I respect it any less because of those?

From YOUR perspective. It is both shameful and disrespectful. The funny thing is that the people who go to extremes to insult God are the ones seemingly brimming with aggression and intolerance.:)

Yeah, we make those crazy Zionists, Taliban and Spanish Inquisition guys look like the nicest bunch of lads.

FWIW I have a great respect and admiration for Science and its achievements. But it has also made some HUGE mess-ups. But should I respect it any less because of those?

Yeah...those huge Science mess-ups are terrible.

Islam was a convenient vehicle for them. That was all. FWIW I have a great respect and admiration for Science and its achievements. But it has also made some HUGE mess-ups. But should I respect it any less because of those?

When science is wrong it corrects itself. Otherwise it wouldn't be science

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »

Edit: Also, the Big Bang theory doesn't state that something came from nothing. It doesn't concern itself with that.

1. Evolution is a fact. How so?

2. The essence of the BBT is that everything did, indeed, come from nothing.

From NASA:

"The Big Bang Model is a broadly accepted theory for the origin and evolution of our universe. It postulates that 12 to 14 billion years ago, the portion of the universe we can see today was only a few millimeters across".

That is, without doubt, a most ludicrous assumption which at best appears to be tenuous, and at worst, impossible to prove.

It's up there with 'salt/butter/pencil in as required is good/bad for you'.

There are two sides, both claiming to be experts. Which is right?

When science is wrong it corrects itself. Otherwise it wouldn't be science

Not always. Global 'warming'?

After the recent financial shenanigans, I'm also a bit sceptical about mathematics as a discipline.

gvn wrote: »

I have to correct you on that, it's a strong theory, but in biology there are no facts(Well... very few facts that we take for granted, otherwise we would be stuck in philosophy). The only science that has facts is maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't believe in Richard Dawkins

Or Stephen Hawkins

Or Alec Baldwin

or Thomas Jefferson

Not even John Lennon

Yeah, we make those crazy Zionists, Taliban and Spanish Inquisition guys look like the nicest bunch of lads.

Probably no better than them though.:)

1. Evolution is a fact. How so?

Evolution is a 100% proven fact.
    2. The essence of the BBT is that everything did, indeed, come from nothing.

From NASA:

"The Big Bang Model is a broadly accepted theory for the origin and evolution of our universe. It postulates that 12 to 14 billion years ago, the portion of the universe we can see today was only a few millimeters across".

That is, without doubt, a most ludicrous assumption which at best appears to be tenuous, and at worst, impossible to prove.

A few millimeters isn't nothing.

There are two sides, both claiming to be experts. Which is right?

The one that bases their methods on reality and evidence rather than thousand year old writings, perhaps?

Not always. Global 'warming'?

I'm guessing you're going to use scientific evidence to back up your claim

• Advertisement

Evolution is a 100% proven fact.

Again, how so? 100%? Irrefutable?
    A few millimeters isn't nothing.

Depends on your point of view.;):D

Seriously, stop and think. Someone is trying to convince you that something less than an inch across formed the Universe. Without any binding, logical, proof.

Advertisement