Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

First half was ok. Scotty Davis Vs. the new Japan lad was very good. It was a shame that Mark Haskins wasn't able to make it again.

The second half was unreal. It was only two matches. Lucha Bros Vs. More than hype and Starr Vs. Speedball. Both matches were great. Seem there pushing the Starr as a cult leader thing. I assume for Devlin or Scotty to stop him. No announcements for January show or Scrapper-mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sirsok wrote: »
    Made a documentary on OTT and The Tivoli. Hour Long, out tonight on OTT's youtube at 7pm

Here the Trailer -

Sound

Watched this this morning. Awesome work! And I hated the Tivoli so for you to make me enjoy it this much when I fundamentally disagree with the concept is a credit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Thank you man, much appreciate the kind words! Was a long process but glad it's out there!

What was the main gripe with the Tivoli itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The traits of the Tivoli are so polarising. It's tight, it's grungey, it's dark and a bit of a sweatbox. Depending on who you are, those things are either class or awful!

Loved the film btw. And the presenter is likeable ... and very handsome!

Sirsok wrote: »
    Thank you man, much appreciate the kind words! Was a long process but glad it's out there!

What was the main gripe with the Tivoli itself?

I totally see the arguments for it and would probably feel the same myself had I experienced them. From an OTT production standpoint and if you were one of the fans who could queue from crazy hours and get a good spot, it was ideal. It played a huge part in creating what we have today and that’s ultimately bigger than personal gripes.

That wasn’t my experience though. When it was around, I used to have to work til 6.30 on a Saturday, so I’d get there close to bell time which meant little to no visibility if there was in any way a decent crowd there. On the show you covered actually, I’d actually come down with a bug the night before but really wanted to see it. Got there feeling ropey, had to leave my spot as I thought I was going to puke during the first match, literally all of the toilets in the place were out of service. 500 people there and not one working ****ter like! Went back out and the place was rammed to the back of the room so my choice was ‘try tough it out, feel sick and not see any of the show or go home and have the money I paid wasted’. So I went home before the first match even ended. The place wasn’t fit for purpose by the end with a combination of how big they’d gotten and the fact the owners were selling up so weren’t interested in renovating. And I fundamentally disagree with the idea that wrestling fans, like rock or fans of niche dance music, should have to settle for uncomfortable dives that aren’t properly maintained just because they have the gall to have a niche interest. I take pride in the fact that, with my own business, we shut down a top of the range Templebar venue at peak times on Saturday and Sunday nights and played a huge part in helping them setup their venue to be comfortable and accommodating for all. Wrestling fans aren’t freaks or geeks to be shoved into a dive and forgotten about, we’re valid and deserve nice venues and simple things like ‘sit down and be comfortable for the night’s entertainment’ or ‘be able to use a toilet.’ So a lot of the customer experience in the Tiv (which OTT weren’t responsible for, mind) went against what I personally believe in and have worked hard for years for.

But that’d all make for a weird, complicated documentary. Your story was way better. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Omackeral wrote: »
    The traits of the Tivoli are so polarising. It's tight, it's grungey, it's dark and a bit of a sweatbox. Depending on who you are, those things are either class or awful!

Woohoo only my mother ever calls me handsome!

To elaborate on Leggo , I think Omack kind of put it perfectly for me, I liked that grungey feeling. Reminded me of my old band days. It was something I only experienced at those gigs in my teens, and coupled with some rasslin was a win win. I think that's what impressed most of the non wrestling folks I brought also. It was a great production in this almost "underground" venue. I do miss going there.

I may make it up to one of those low blows parties!!!

Sound for the nice words on the doc!

Like I said, I wouldn’t hold that against anyone or try take that view off anyone who loved it. I think the end came at a good time for them though, I think the longer they’d have gone on more people would’ve started to see it as I did (when you pay for a show you can’t see you’re not going to see it any other way really).

This way, it never got old for the regulars like those you interviewed and there’s a romanticism to it that only adds to the lore with documentaries like this. I also think OTT did a great job marketing it as grungey/underground and people definitely bought into that, a case of making the most of of what you have. But what made it special, in truth, was the product/talent and the people who came every month rather than the venue itself.

As leggo said, it ended at the right time for OTT with regard to the Tivoli. It just happened to be a time when they were doing great business and were kinda outgrowing it anyway. I myself am at best a casual attendee, the novelty can wear off the old place. You kinda have to be in the mood for it or something. I could go to the National Stadium feeling a little rough and just chill in my chair and enjoy a good show. It's unpleasant to do that at a packed Tivoli. The rabid atmosphere of a Tivoli show is surreal though and certainly has a ''this is ours'' feel to it.

As an aside, I feel there's sometimes comparisons to be made to League Of Ireland fans and OTT fans. Both are supporting home grown. Both are, or have been, in less than stellar locations. Both have a niche following featuring drinking, chants and general sh*thousery. Both deal with competition from a world renowned organisation (to a point) yet you still feel massive pride when one of your own makes it over there. Just something I've always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

He pronounced the T in debuts though ;)

Any run down of the OTT show from the weekend? Missed it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Watched the OTT documentary last night very good stuff lads.
    That Finn Balor surprise was incredible, never seen a reaction like it.
    Makes me miss the monthly tivoli shows with cans :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

showpony1 wrote: »
    Watched the OTT documentary last night very good stuff lads.
    That Finn Balor surprise was incredible, never seen a reaction like it.
    Makes me miss the monthly tivoli shows with cans :/

Remember the first show when there were no cans and the loudest chants of the night were about the lack of cans

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Three cans for a tenner was a tremendous gimmick. Fond memories of those early Tivoli shows. About €12 in, get 3 cans for a tenner and double jd and coke €8.

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Three cans for a tenner was a tremendous gimmick. Fond memories of those early Tivoli shows. About €12 in, get 3 cans for a tenner and double jd and coke €8.

I remember when Joe mentioned it on the Cabana Podcast and all my mates who liked wrestling were straight on to get going to shows! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Ali Bomaye wrote: »

THere was one month that was particularly bad, the cans varied and that month it was some absolute rotten poison. Still, a great night.

I think the tivoli defintely rewarded the queuers. The sightlines for anyone in the venue who wasn't in the stage, the seats or the front row of the surrounding raised area were poor, particularly so if you weren't tall.

I try not to think about the toilets except for the dude who was in there all the time handing out the towels. What a ****e job in that toilet.

But that place, I've had some of the best nights of my life there. Which is odd to think about but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Great venue! For a long time it defined OTT and, by extension, Irish wrestling. In the dark days, between the fall of IWW and the rise of OTT I think wrestling in this country was mostly associated with those lame family shows or the just plain bad garbage wrestling stuff running nightclubs. The Tivoli came to define Irish wrestling and the unique atmosphere of that venue drove it away from the outdoor kids parties and nightclub dance floors.

To any people who do both Dublin and Belfast OTT shows, is there much of a difference atmosphere or buzz wise? Does it feel like more of a B-Show or Contenders vibe or am I way off?

The Europa on film doesn't seem as good a fit aesthetically either imo

To any people who do both Dublin and Belfast OTT shows, is there much of a difference atmosphere or buzz wise? Does it feel like more of a B-Show or Contenders vibe or am I way off?

The Europa on film doesn't seem as good a fit aesthetically either imo

Its a lot more of a B-show, although with the loss of the tivoli it's gotten pumped up a bit. You have the local acts like Maxted and Tucker who are there and are perfectly ok but not exactly star power and also not 'our boys'. The vibe is not as good as Dublin shows, not even as good as Contenders I'd say, but everyone works hard. There are some like old chants and things, like **** Finn Balor for Devlin which everyone in Dublin got past 2 years ago. It's a bit of an anomaly. Lots of kids there too. Beer is very expensive.

They do have a boojum right there though, and it's very convenient for the dublin bus transport. Less so if you live further afield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭NITRO95

NITRO95 wrote: »

Where has José gone?! He added so much to Bobby George Jr and Tropicana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭NITRO95

brianblaze wrote: »

Think his theatre/acting career has taken off so he doesn't have time for OTT anymore.

Think his theatre/acting career has taken off so he doesn't have time for OTT anymore.

Good for him. He was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Enjoyed last Saturdays show at the ringside club really looking forward to next years shows.

Just saw him on the National Lottery ad just now! That's him, the main fella in it.

Just saw him on the National Lottery ad just now! That's him, the main fella in it.

Jaysus when Captain Sexsea hears about this Get Rich Quick scheme, he's in trouble!

https://twitter.com/Brian1zvx/status/1207215695727079424?s=20

I'd say Scotty is about to make his next big step official soon!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hard to believe he's only 19. Serious talent.

He's a talent, NJPW is the right move. I am worried though that it's too soon. He's not had the big run on top in any company yet, NJPW will be eager to sign him up before others do and I'd say Ospreay and Liger have probably talked him up a lot but it feels at least a year or two too early for his sake.

He's a talent, NJPW is the right move. I am worried though that it's too soon. He's not had the big run on top in any company yet, NJPW will be eager to sign him up before others do and I'd say Ospreay and Liger have probably talked him up a lot but it feels at least a year or two too early for his sake.

He's ready, has the confidence, ability and personality for it. The day of the Liger match, he didn't even bat an eyelid, no nerves, nothing. When we were interviewing him before the match he was 100% not phased by the prospect of facing, never mind beating, Liger!

• Advertisement

He's ready, has the confidence, ability and personality for it. The day of the Liger match, he didn't even bat an eyelid, no nerves, nothing. When we were interviewing him before the match he was 100% not phased by the prospect of facing, never mind beating, Liger!

I think in-ring he is readyand confidence and personality-wise he is ready too. But the NJPW juniors division is stacked, featured places on the card is limited and if you are a gaijin going over there you want to be going over there with a serious amount of buzz behind you. Like when Ospreay went over there he was in the middle of that great Progress run, had done that best of 3 series with Matt Sydal in Rev Pro and had a killer match with Okada in Reading.

Davis is really only starting to climb the cards in the Brit companies and hasn't been the main man yet for his home promotion. In a years time he'd probably have at least an OTT title run under his belt, maybe a few big matches in front of a UK crowd, I think he'd be going into it in a much stronger position.

Advertisement