Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 10 July 2015: €0
    Last win 29 May 2015: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1950

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Thinking of buying a few better than sitting in my current a/c , just browsing over the past few posts it seems like there hasnt been too many winners since they changed it. How have they changed it ? Is it still a good investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The number of prizes given out weekly has dropped by more than 2000 so those of us who had large sums invested (100K +) and were winning twice or three times a month are now winning possibly once every two or three months.

Ok how have the odds been reduced? versus a deposit a/c with at the moment with low interest rates/ DIRT & TandCs it still seems more appealing to me

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

otterj wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a few better than sitting in my current a/c , just browsing over the past few posts it seems like there hasnt been too many winners since they changed it. How have they changed it ? Is it still a good investment?

Personally, I don't think it was ever a good investment :-p
    Ok how have the odds been reduced? versus a deposit a/c with at the moment with low interest rates/ DIRT & TandCs it still seems more appealing to me

Unless you are purchasing a large quantity (100K+), then your chances of winning are tiny.

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't think it was ever a good investment :-p

Unless you are purchasing a large quantity (100K+), then your chances of winning are tiny.

Im looking for low risk and quick access so it seems like a good investment to me, What would you recommend

Im looking for low risk and quick access so it seems like a good investment to me, What would you recommend

Boring and all as it sounds, an Instant access deposit account. Guaranteed interest, very small at it may be. PBs guarantee you squat. Likelihood of winning big is so remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But with DIRT and everything you're basically getting squat from deposit accounts aswell, give up takeaways or drink or whatever your poison is for a month, boom you've beaten the return on deposit accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I wouldn't have called them quick access. You can't cash them in for the first 3 months after you take them out. When you do want to cash them in you've to fill a form out and post it off to Kerry. I've heard it takes 2 weeks for this to be processed and you to be paid, I've no experience with it but maybe somebody else here can clarify exactly the timeline.

They are low risk, can't argue with that.

Thargor wrote: »
    But with DIRT and everything you're basically getting squat from deposit accounts aswell, give up takeaways or drink or whatever your poison is for a month, boom you've beaten the return on deposit accounts.

But it's guaranteed squat :-D Personal choice obviously, I just don't rate PB and don't accept the "but I might win big" argument due to remote chance of this s
    ever happening.... this thread as 176 pages - how many people on it have won more than a grand I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

I am amazed at how unprofessional this organization are.. My postman is also my brother in law so I rang to request my winning notification to be sent electronically. Not possible.
    I find this amazing,, My utility bills all come online and these people who are managing billions are still only able to send paper ..
    Also, I always sent gifts to babies,, first communicants, conformation, even wedding gifts
    Now this can't be done without an an account no for recipients to prevent money laundering.
    Surely all they need is account no for purchaser..
    Can't believe how antiquated the system is,,, Certainly not consumer friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I am amazed at how unprofessional this organization are.. My postman is also my brother in law so I rang to request my winning notification to be sent electronically. Not possible.
    I find this amazing,, My utility bills all come online and these people who are managing billions are still only able to send paper ..
    Also, I always sent gifts to babies,, first communicants, conformation, even wedding gifts
    Now this can't be done without an an account no for recipients to prevent money laundering.
    Surely all they need is account no for purchaser..
    Can't believe how antiquated the system is,,, Certainly not consumer friendly.

And you create an account online to check your Prize Bonds and they then want you to find all your bonds and put the numbers in yourself :confused:

The number of prizes given out weekly has dropped by more than 2000 so those of us who had large sums invested (100K +) and were winning twice or three times a month are now winning possibly once every two or three months.

And nothing again today :(:(:(:(

Winnings on 17 July 2015: €0
    Last win 29 May 2015: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €1950

my3cents wrote: »
    And you create an account online to check your Prize Bonds and they then want you to find all your bonds and put the numbers in yourself :confused:
    You only have to do that once, but I know - would be nice if that was done automatically with your first application.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dieseldog

If you win on Prizebonds, do you get a letter in the post to advise? I thought I read this when I bought mine about 7 years ago.

dieseldog wrote: »
    If you win on Prizebonds, do you get a letter in the post to advise? I thought I read this when I bought mine about 7 years ago.

You obviously haven't won much in the seven years then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dieseldog

I bought a grand's worth 7 years ago and have won nothing....

My mother bought €25 euro's worth at the same time and won €50 the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

dieseldog wrote: »
    I bought a grand's worth 7 years ago and have won nothing....

My mother bought €25 euro's worth at the same time and won €50 the following week.

I put in a substantial amount of my gratuity a year ago but the return to date is abysmal. I took out half last week and probably the rest will come out shortly. When I had only a couple of grand a few years back I won a good few quid steadily. NOw I have five times as much and I can't seem to win anything. All three of us who occupy 'Amen Corner' in our local intend cashing in our PB's before the summer ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing here again today,,, Surprise, surprise...
    4 weeks since a 50 win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Prize binds are fu**ed since they made the changes. 25k now withdrawn. Take note Fexco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

There are about 7,500 winners each week, sounds a lot but when you consider that's 47k worth of bonds, how can you expect to win very often in the current set up? Maybe someone can advise how many bonds are going into the draw each week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

2k for well over a year and not a penny

omerin wrote: »
    There are about 7,500 winners each week, sounds a lot but when you consider that's 47k worth of bonds, how can you expect to win very often in the current set up? Maybe someone can advise how many bonds are going into the draw each week?

According to their website: 338 million individual prize bonds.

:eek: is it any wonder no one is winning

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

The prize bond fund grows on average a million euros every working day
    That's around 160,000 new bonds each day added to the draw
    The prize fund is recalculated at the end of each month

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

I have put 30k euro into prize bonds in April so far I have won nothing I am going to add another 10k to that within the next couple of weeks an hopefully some more towards the end of the year fingers crossed I win something I am feeling lucky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

The prize bond fund grows on average a million euros every working day
    That's around 160,000 new bonds each day added to the draw
    The prize fund is recalculated at the end of each month

Then why did they reduce the prizes?

honey12345 wrote: »
    I have put 30k euro into prize bonds in April so far I have won nothing I am going to add another 10k to that within the next couple of weeks an hopefully some more towards the end of the year fingers crossed I win something I am feeling lucky! :)

That will still be only 6400 chances of winning each week, based on €6.25 per bond, have you not see the last few posts :)
    Then why did they reduce the prizes?

I think it is based on a rate - a percentage of the fund, and that rate was lowered. Just like the interest rate was dropped on bank deposits, this was lowered also. Maybe someone might correct me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

omerin wrote: »
    That will still be only 6400 chances of winning each week, based on €6.25 per bond, have you not see the last few posts :)

I think it is based on a rate - a percentage of the fund, and that rate was lowered. Just like the interest rate was dropped on bank deposits, this was lowered also. Maybe someone might correct me :confused:

My god the last few posts have been so negative am I better of taken it out of prize bonds?

Advertisement