Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Good luck to all the regulars for today’s big draw !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lizardking123

What time is the draw?

It says online results will be available from 12.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

From the lack of postings here you're obviously all out celebrating the million win without me or else - like me - you have no winner today! Have a Happy and Safe Christmas and please God, we all have a better 2021.

Looks to me like the winning bond was bought Feb 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings on 23rd December 2020 on €110k: €50
    Last win on 11th December 2020: €50 X 2

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

From the lack of postings here you're obviously all out celebrating the million win without me or else - like me - you have no winner today! Have a Happy and Safe Christmas and please God, we all have a better 2021.

Unfortunately the latter is true. Nothing for me today.Happy 2021 to you all.
    Stay safe,stay well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I logged in and got the Congratulations message on top of the page.

For a brief minute I found myself pissed off that it wasn't the big prize, but soon copped myself on when I realised how daft I was being for not being happy to win the €50 the same week that so many people will be put out of work again.

€65k invested, 3 wins in 12 weeks which seems to be above average luck.

Nowt for me. But as Sportsfan90 says there are plenty with bigger issues to deal with.
    Have a Happy and Safe Christmas and please God, we all have a better 2021.

Hear Hear. I’m happy to second that motion.

Next draw is Monday 4th January 2021. See you all then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭John arse

I logged in and got the Congratulations message on top of the page.

For a brief minute I found myself pissed off that it wasn't the big prize, but soon copped myself on when I realised how daft I was being for not being happy to win the €50 the same week that so many people will be put out of work again.

€65k invested, 3 wins in 12 weeks which seems to be above average luck.
    what's your total for the year or are you a new investor?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

John arse wrote: »
    what's your total for the year or are you a new investor?

New investor, I only started 12 weeks ago. Average luck would have got me 1 win so far so I've being doing well to get 3. Hopefully it'll continue on in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

And so say all of us, happy Christmas to all, nothing for me this week, total wins in 2020 €150euro, I purchased €40,000 bonds 2 months ago in time for the 1million draw, no wins on that batch yet, total holding now €100,000 = 16,000 bonds.
    That was a nice Christmas present today for a County Meath bond holder winning 1 million euro, the bond was purchased in 2015, oh well, the rest of us can only dream, happy 2021 to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Haha, if only. Nothing for us this week but good luck to the winners. I wish everyone here a happy and peaceful Christmas. You’d imagine 2021 will have to be a better year. Take care all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Hoping someone on this thread was the big winner today! Happy Christmas and here's to a better 2021 for all.

Wins on 23rd December 2020: €0
    Last win - 18th December 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 1
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 24 wins in 182 weeks (13%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-date): 10 x €50 = €500

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

2020 my year in Prize Bonds. Anyone interested can see 2018 and 2019 on Page 377. Both years 15 wins. Good luck to one and all in 2021.

2020 11 wins.

January. 1 win.
    February 2.
    March 3.
    April 1.
    May 1.
    June None.
    July 1.
    August None.
    September 1.
    October 1, on the 16th.
    November None.
    December None.

€10K Bunch No wins 0%. €18.5K Bunch No wins 0%. €29K Bunch 1 win 0.17%. €71,250 Bunch 9 wins 0.63%. Plus 1 win from a reinvested bond.

I have a large collection of reinvested bonds going back to 2007, and the holding increased by €2,050 in the last three years. Return for 2020 approx 0.38%. Annual return for the three years approx 0.475%.

I expect with the passage time that will reduce to more like the expected average of 0.35%. If I keep the bonds and the notional interest rate and prize structure does not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

2020 my year in Prize Bonds. Anyone interested can see 2018 and 2019 on Page 377. Both years 15 wins. Good luck to one and all in 2021.

2020 11 wins.

January. 1 win.
    February 2.
    March 3.
    April 1.
    May 1.
    June None.
    July 1.
    August None.
    September 1.
    October 1, on the 16th.
    November None.
    December None.

€10K Bunch No wins 0%. €18.5K Bunch No wins 0%. €29K Bunch 1 win 0.17%. €71,250 Bunch 9 wins 0.63%. Plus 1 win from a reinvested bond.

I have a large collection of reinvested bonds going back to 2007, and the holding increased by €2,050 in the last three years. Return for 2020 approx 0.38%. Annual return for the three years approx 0.475%.

I expect with the passage time that will reduce to more like the expected average of 0.35%. If I keep the bonds and the notional interest rate and prize structure does not change.
    my head just exploded😉😉😉

2020 11 wins.

January. 1 win.
    February 2.
    March 3.
    April 1.
    May 1.
    June None.
    July 1.
    August None.
    September 1.
    October 1, on the 16th.
    November None.
    December None.

Thanks for your analysis. I always find these interesting and thought provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pbtracker

Well nothing for me either yesterday so closing out 2020 with a total of €150 from 3 batches of 20K bought in Aug - 2 wins from 1 batch, 1 from another and 0 from the third batch.

Best wishes to everyone for 2021 - lets hope there are a few winners! Happy Christmas!

Winnings on 23rd December 2020: €0
    Last win : €50 6th Nov 2020
    Investment :
    Up to Aug 2020 : €12K
    Aug 2020 : €72K
    Sept 2020 : €77K
    Total winnings to date: €200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

That's pretty dismal

If you had invested your 77k in bitcoin in September 2020 you would have about 180k now

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

McCrack wrote: »
    That's pretty dismal

If you had invested your 77k in bitcoin in September 2020 you would have about 180k now

But you have to compare like with like.

Here you're guaranteed to have your money due to government guarantees

Bitcoin, it could easily have tanked in the same time frame or your wallet can be hacked etc

Think of bonds as a ultra lower risk, low return investment. Bitcoin, high risk, high return.

All depends on people's view of risk

• Advertisement

Buying Prize bonds is not an investment

That's pretty dismal

well if you are not interested in prize bonds we thank you for your input and we'll see you around my friend������

That's pretty dismal

Totally off topic. This is a thread in which posters share their prize bond experiences. There is an entire sub-forum for Bitcoin related discussion. You’ll find it over here

And as you raise the point, if you invested €77k in Bitcoin on 11/12/2017 it would have been worth about €13.7K 12 months later. That is not the kind of return the majority of people who put money in prize bonds are looking for.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Totally off topic. This is a thread in which posters share their prize bond experiences. There is an entire sub-forum for Bitcoin related discussion. You’ll find it over here

And as you raise the point, if you invested €77k in Bitcoin on 11/12/2017 it would have been worth about €13.7K 12 months later. That is not the kind of return the majority of people who put money in prize bonds are looking for.

Lol you picked the only point in bitcoins entire 10 year life where you could say that. The span of buying at that range is 4 days, out of 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Lol you picked the only point in bitcoins entire 10 year life where you could say that. The span of buying at that range is 4 days, out of 10 years.
    Should be called McChasm with that logic.

Forgetting you also hand picked your numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Lol, It's fascinating the way people have infiltrated this thread with 'if you had done this in September 2020', fact is nobody knew which way bitcoin was going to go in September 2020, nor do they know which way bitcoin is going to go over the next 3 months, it might triple/quadruple/octuple your money (and brilliant if it does) or it may have tanked by then, who knows. As far as I can see the PB folk haven't sought to decry what anybody else is putting their money into, they are probably happy enough to have their few bob secure, together with that little butterfly in the stomach moment at 12 every Friday before reality bites again. Some PB holders may have money invested elsewhere as well, some may even have some invested in bitcoin the asset that will forever yield multiple returns.

You don't know where bitcoin is going?

Well there's 10 years there that says it's only going up (with the usual corrections along the way) whereas 10 years of Prize Bonds in the thread just shows how terrible the "returns" are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Well there's 10 years there that says it's only going up (with the usual corrections along the way) whereas 10 years of Prize Bonds in the thread just shows how terrible the "returns" are.

You seem to be under the impression that people are putting money into Prize Bonds as an investment, rather than a place to store funds risk free. It isn't like they decided on prize bonds over bitcoin, they are not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭pbwinner

John arse wrote: »
    wow,defying the averages there-a years winnings in a day?
    Yeah, just the way it goes I suppose. I wish I could have really defied the averages by winning the €1 million though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

That old rookie mistake:

"Past performance is not indicative of future results"

Advertisement