Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Heard this on the BBC that Joni Sledge of Sister Sledge was found died in her home. Sad to see another go Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Bookface says Chuck Berry passed away (I didn't realise he was 90).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Emma Moreno. The last known survivor from the 19th century has died aged 117. Now there was an Oulwan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Shirley Ann Pithers, better known as Jane Freeman, was an English-born Welsh actress who was best known for her work on British television, mostly for her role as Ivy in Last of the Summer Wine. Died 9th March 2017.

The first action man of TV. John Noakes has died. R.I.P.

• Advertisement

And don't let us forget Roger Moore, died 23 May in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

The first action man of TV. John Noakes has died. R.I.P.
    "Get down Shep"

I read somewhere that he discovered years later that the BBC had not insured him for he stunts he was involved in during the "Blue Peter" and "Go with Noakes" days.

Peter Sallis OBE, has died at the age of 96. Cleggy, and Wallace, gone forever. Himself and meself are grateful for his performances which we continue to enjoy today. Although it was thought that Bill Owen was the star of LOTSW, I always felt that Clegg had all the driest, and the best lines. He was the star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Peter Sallis OBE, has died at the age of 96. Cleggy, and Wallace, gone forever. Himself and meself are grateful for his performances which we continue to enjoy today. Although it was thought that Bill Owen was the star of LOTSW, I always felt that Clegg had all the driest, and the best lines. He was the star.

Yep I still enjoy the reruns :D

RIP Cleggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Batman has left the building.

RIP Adam West, 88.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Of all the Batmen Adam was the battiest and I loved him for that. He along with Cesar Romero chewed the scenery. :) Sad loss, happy memories.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Fred Cogley 1934-2017 RIP
    I always associate rugby with the voice of Fred Cogley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Dick Warner.

R.I.P.

Great Voice.

I see the great Glen Campbell has died. A nice man by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^^ Glen Campbell, an amazing and very dedicated musician.

Bruce Forsyth has died,aged 89.

What a career!

He first appeared on television in 1939.

I remember him presenting Sunday Night At The London Palladium when I was young and that's not today or yesterday.

(incidentally if you look up Youtube and see video of Tommy Trinder presenting SNATLP you can see where Brucie got all of his mannerisms, the sarky remarks the sideways glance at the audience etc.)

Then he was my Saturday night in the seventies with the Generation Game.
    If you remember that, imagine the camera work necessary to be in the right spot when he'd give one of his sidelong raised eyebrow glances during the contestant interviews.

Finally of course he had another career presenting Strictly Come Dancing.

And he overcame the downcurve of his carer when he left the BBC to present Bruce Forsyth's Big Night on LWT in 1978 which was pulled from the schedules after disastrous ratings.

Truly a legend of television light entertainment.

Was thinking of giving up checking this thread when Jerry Lewis up and departed, aged 91. When he was at the top of his game he really could make me laugh to the point of collapsing in tears. More recently I watched the original 'Nutty Professor' and.......not a titter! Have I lost the sense of humour I had all those years ago? I don't think so, as Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keating still make me laugh.

Fats Dominio. Ain't that a shame. :(

Rodney Bewes passed away, a week before his 80th birthday. Can't imagine that baby face at 80. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Jana Novotna, - her final rally; Wimbledon singles champion 1998 but best remembered by many for her loss in the singles final in '93 to Steffi Graf and her dissolution into tears on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder during the prize presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

RIP Malcolm Young.

Founder of AC/DC and legend of the rock world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

David Cassidy aged 67 - "At his peak, David Cassidy was the world's highest paid live entertainer, and his official fan club was the largest in pop history -- exceeding Elvis Presley and The Beatles COMBINED."

My missus is heartbroken. She grew up in South Africa at a time when music was ... limited. David Cassidy was a major influence in her youth as his was one of the few outside influences to pass the scrutiny of the apartheid regime.

Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Russian operatic baritone. Age 55.
    https://youtu.be/CmpBCyxQ0Bs

garancafan wrote: »
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Russian operatic baritone. Age 55.
    https://youtu.be/CmpBCyxQ0Bs

Actually never heard of him but words fail me, except for.......Wow! Wish I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Profumo Affair's Christine Keeler dies at 75

Big news in the day

https://news.sky.com/story/profumo-affairs-christine-keeler-dies-at-75-11157992

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Profumo Affair's Christine Keeler dies at 75

Big news in the day

https://news.sky.com/story/profumo-affairs-christine-keeler-dies-at-75-11157992

Yes indeed it was big news.

I recall a rumour around that time of both Mandy Rice-Davies and Christine Keeler attending a party in a house in Woodstown Co. Waterford.

Yes indeed it was big news.

I recall a rumour around that time of both Mandy Rice-Davies and Christine Keeler attending a party in a house in Woodstown Co. Waterford.

Mandy would have, wouldn't she?

Keith Chegwin has died after a long illness, aged 60.

The first thing that comes to mind is his appearance, as himself, in "Extras", consistently fluffing his appearance in When The Whistle Blows to Rick Gervais' increasing exasperation.

• Advertisement

Gosh, sorry Keith Chegwin is gone.

Advertisement