Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Heather North passed away last night.....who is she ?, well she voiced Daphne in Scooby Doo from 1970 to 2003.

Aged 71, she's gone to the big scooby snack in the sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

US astronaut John Young, who flew to the moon twice and commanded the first ever space shuttle mission, has died aged 87. He was the only person to have flown missions on the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Peter Sutherland former EU commisioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

two sad deaths today

Dolores O'Riordan the lead singer of the Cranberries.

Cyril Regis the footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Don't know much about Dolores O'Riordan but have heard of her. Cyril Regis is definitely one I remember very well as at his peak I was big into watching football. Sad indeed.

• Advertisement

here you are JB x

Sorry to hear that John Mahoney has died, aged 77. One of the great characters in Frasier. I have recently been watching the series from the first season and now am on series 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Emma Chambers, who played Alice in 'Vicar of Dibley' has died, aged 53.
    How sad. R.I.P.

spurious wrote: »
    Emma Chambers, who played Alice in 'Vicar of Dibley' has died, aged 53.
    How sad. R.I.P.

very funny young lady

She was the best character in Dibley, loved her to bits. So sad she's gone.

• Advertisement

Sir Roger Bannister. A true giant, legend and gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Sad news, I used to tell the story of Sir Roger Bannister at the end of a course I used to run.
    His achievement after his own personal failure at the previous Olympics and against the scientific/medical advice that was prevalent at the time. Man CANNOT run a mile in less than 4 minutes, he will die trying, it is impossible. Other runners also saw it as an impossible barrier though several were trying.

He did it that afternoon and within 18 months about 20 other runners were also able to break the 4 minute barrier. Why? Before Bannister, no-one can do it, suddenly because he showed it was possible, other runners took a look at themselves and thought, well if he can do it, I can do it. If thats not teh very definition of an inspiration I dont know what it is.

An incredible man whose legacy will live well beyond his own passing

RIP

No one else has so I will. Ken Dodd has left the building. Those angels don't know what's they're in for!!!!! Hope he didn't forget his tickling stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Stephen Hawking gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Genuinely saddened to hear of Hawkings passing. A man of letters and a man of wit.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Genuinely saddened to hear of Hawkings passing. A man of letters and a man of wit.

I'm so sorry to see him go. A colossus.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    No one else has so I will. Ken Dodd has left the building. Those angels don't know what's they're in for!!!!! Hope he didn't forget his tickling stick.

wonderful man, generous to a fault with time and money, and truly a comic genius.
    red sean wrote: »
    Stephen Hawking gone too.

great man despite his poor health during his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Liam o’Fylnn. He made the Uilleann pipes sound beautiful. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

joeysoap wrote: »
    Liam o’Fylnn. He made the Uilleann pipers sound like beautiful. R.I.P

I had not heard :(

RIP Liam Óg

One of the great pipers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Many obits. and reminiscences have been published in recent days

For example : https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/garech-browne-thank-you-and-sorry-and-goodbye-1.3428164

For me, his death marks the end of an era.

His brother, Tara, died in a car accident in the '60s. This is said to have inspired The Beatles 'A day in the life'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Dh-I0_m5Y

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hawking had a sense of humor till the end.

A truly great man.

Bill Maynard has passed away. They never repeat his episodes of Heartbeat. We were very fond of his character Greengrass. Wonder if they will repeat them now. He did a good Selwyn Froggett too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Steven Bochco 74, American TV writer and producer, (NYPD Blue, LA Law and my all time favourite Hill Street Blues) I always imagined him as being older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ray "Butch" Wilkins - Chelsea, Man Utd, Rangers and England aged 61

Sad loss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Selwyn Froggatt "Tragic"

Eric Bristow, 5 times world darts champion, I still can't believe he was only 60.

Eric Bristow, 5 times world darts champion, I still can't believe he was only 60.

As I said on another thread about him,

At least he went on a triple 20.

I always thought him a gentleman, cocky but good fun.

Sorry to hear that. Far too young to leave. I used to watch a bit of darts in his heyday but I lost interest in it. There were a lot of showmen around the game then, it seems a necessary thing in certain games. Don't know what it is like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Far too young to leave. I used to watch a bit of darts in his heyday but I lost interest in it. There were a lot of showmen around the game then, it seems a necessary thing in certain games. Don't know what it is like now.

It’s Las Vegas with all the bells and whistles now. And walk on girls.Practically wiped snooker off the map.

Sorry to see the Crafty Cockney gone , he too was among the early stars I remember , Alex Higgins, Jockey Wilson, sadly both gone now too

And the old joke. Players throws his darts, first two double twenties, but third one bounces off wire and rickochets into the audience, hitting a nun on the head. And the commentator declares ‘one nun dead and eighty’

• Advertisement

:eek:

Ray Thomas 76, gone since early January, serious shock!

Advertisement