Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Frank Finlay 89, British actor,

http://www.frankfinlay.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sir Terry Wogan. R.I.P.

Very saddened to learn that Terry has passed away. I always loved his programmes and style of presenting. We won't see his like again, he was the only presenter I actually looked forward to every day in the kitchen when the children had left for school. I went back to work in the 90's so missed his programme greatly. When I left work for the last time I looked forward to hearing his soft tones again only to learn that he was retiring and I was so disappointed. No-one else was interesting enough to turn the radio on for at that time.
    Frank Finlay 89, British actor,

http://www.frankfinlay.net/

Great actor. I remember him being in an early Blackadder as a witch hunter or some such. That was a surprising pleasure! Good fun.

Edit: just looked it up, Frank Finlay played The Witchsmeller Pursuivant in Blackadder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I enjoyed his irreverent approach to the Eurovision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I met Terry and had a few drinks with him in 1987, near Shepard's Bush. He had just had Michael Palin as a guest and was very complimentary of him.

A gentleman, a truly good humoured and good natured man.

I became a TOG and corresponded with him from time to time.

He was unique.

There must be some big concert in the offing in Valhalla, the talent is still being called across....

Maurice White (74), songwriter and musician with Earth Wind and Fire.

Joe Dowell (76), singer (wooden heart), ironically Joe died because his heart wouldn't work any more.....

Joe Alaskey (63), voice actor for Luney Tunes, Casper, Rugrats.....

• Advertisement

And 18 years to the day since Dermot Morgan left us. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think I will have a drink of tea to the great memories.

Sorry to hear George Kennedy is gone. There was a film I remember him in, dressed up as an ice-cream seller, but he was I think either a policeman or a gangster, usually a gangster mind, and he was on the trail of some guy, when a kid turned up to buy ice-cream but he didn't want to be bothered by this poor kid. No matter what Kennedy said, the kid wouldn't budge until he got his ice-cream. Eventually Kennedy completely lost it and told the kid to get lost but it was more along the lines of 'look kid, go XXXX a duck!' The kid's face was a picture. Can't remember the name of the film.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby

"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot " George played the character Red Leary.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear George Kennedy is gone.

There's a whole group of actors like George that I lump together, Karl Malden, Gene Hackman, James Earl Jones, Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Robert Duvall..... I think the light that links us to the old thrillers gets a little dimmer when one of them goes.

Louise Plowright, 59, Actress (Mamma Mia, Families, I think she was in Eastenders as well, but I don't watch soaps so I'm not sure)

Rubecula wrote: »
    Jellybaby

"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot " George played the character Red Leary.

Ah well done Rube, thanks to your good memory.
    There's a whole group of actors like George that I lump together, Karl Malden, Gene Hackman, James Earl Jones, Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Robert Duvall..... I think the light that links us to the old thrillers gets a little dimmer when one of them goes.

Louise Plowright, 59, Actress (Mamma Mia, Families, I think she was in Eastenders as well, but I don't watch soaps so I'm not sure)

Robert Duvall in particular always creeped me out in films. All great actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35787187

RIP

Ronnie Corbett. R.I.P.

And it's goodnight from him...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Missed this one.

Gareth Thomas died 18 April 2016.

Who's he, you ask?

He was only Blake out of Blake's 7

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

(Sir) Jack Leslie aged 99.

Not your ornery onager

Doris Roberts, aged 90, has died 'in her sleep'. The name may not be very familiar but I loved her as Marie Barone is 'Everybody Loves Raymond'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Another very funny lady Victoria Wood has died aged 62 after a short battle with cancer

Such a talent. She will be sorely missed

Dinnerladies was one of the finest comedies of its generation

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BBDBB wrote: »
    Another very funny lady Victoria Wood has died aged 62 after a short battle with cancer

Such a talent. She will be sorely missed

Dinnerladies was one of the finest comedies of its generation

RIP

So sorry to hear this. I met her once. Very under-rated writer. She could do poignant comedy like no other. Cancer is a b*stard of a thing.

• Advertisement

And because of the Mr. Ed series, we all knew what a horse was, of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

saddened to hear of the passing of Bert Kwouk who died earlier today

His deadpan manic attacks on Peter Sellers, as Cato & Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films were the stuff of comic legend

RIP

"Not now Cato"

Also was in Last of the Summer Wine. When he first appeared the other old codgers described him as being a foreigner......as he was from Hull! So funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Also was in Last of the Summer Wine. When he first appeared the other old codgers described him as being a foreigner......as he was from Hull! So funny.

I did not recognise the name Burt Kwouk ..... but I immediately remembered the man from Hull in Last of the Summer Wine. :)

That episode was on the box today, maybe in his honour.

Carla Lane passed away. I can't believe she was 87, I just can't! How can that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Carla Lane passed away. I can't believe she was 87, I just can't! How can that be?
    #Liver birds will come and get ya
    Singing Ee-ei Add-io#

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Liver Birds was good at the time, but Bread was much better. I'm glad we have the box set.

Advertisement