Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Thinking I might get tickets to see Jack White this midterm or something.. my brothers promised me some concert tickets for my birthday and I can't go to see Beach House next week .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Need to study for Irish oral tomorrow..
    Need to study for economics mid term tomorrow..
    Need to study
    Need to study

But dont want to study :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Never mind the mid term mocks the fricking home ec journal is a total killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm confused. I'm going over plants and I was looking back at exam questions, 2008 q14 C, the question is 'Describe how minerals such as nitrates enter the root of a plant from the soil'. I was fully sure that the answer was active transport, my Biology book agrees with me, as do my notes, and the five seconds of googling I did before coming here. But the marking scheme says 'diffusion'. Now I don't know what to believe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

moriz wrote: »
    Like I said in one of the posts, I haven't a clue to be honest. I'm gonna take a year out and do a nail technician course and see if something I'm interested in comes up. At the start of the year I was so stressed out about not knowing what I wanted to do, but I feel like I'm going in the right direction now :)
    What about you?

Sounds good, well I'm actually in 5th year and i've always wanted to do medicine but to be honest ever since the h-pat came out I'd probably settle for pharmacy ....
    And like realistically I have very little chance of getting medicine.. so i just lower my aims to more, realistic ones i guess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm confused. I'm going over plants and I was looking back at exam questions, 2008 q14 C, the question is 'Describe how minerals such as nitrates enter the root of a plant from the soil'. I was fully sure that the answer was active transport, my Biology book agrees with me, as do my notes, and the five seconds of googling I did before coming here. But the marking scheme says 'diffusion'. Now I don't know what to believe. :(

Does it just say diffusion? If it does that is a bit odd seeing as I would of thought the answer to be "active transport".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

David1994 wrote: »
    Does it just say diffusion? If it does that is a bit odd seeing as I would of thought the answer to be "active transport".

Yeah diffusion or they would've accepted 'passive transport' too. But there's a higher concentration of nitrates in the root than there is in the soil. Or is there? Has my whole life up to this point been a lie? :(

Yeah diffusion or they would've accepted 'passive transport' too. But there's a higher concentration of nitrates in the root than there is in the soil. Or is there? Has my whole life up to this point been a lie? :(

I am pretty sure that it is active transport..The Biology marking scheme is ridiculous though.I will check what my book says out of interest :P

Yep the book agrees with me and you.It says Active transport.That is strange that it doesnt allow active transport as an answer :/

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

moriz wrote: »
    Haha suppose your a bloke then? :P Maybe look into doing a plc course first, at least then if you don't like it you won't have to stick with it for years and years?

yup:pac: yeah i might look into doing that! career guidance in my school is awful puts on unnecessary stress:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I just had a test on this last week with the exact same question and my teacher accepted active transport and said it would have been accepted in the leaving cert too. I would have never thought in a million years that it could be diffusion....

• Advertisement

Nothing can overcome my boredom\procrastination. here's how I ended up spending the last few minutes:

sLrTz.png
    r74zl.png
    Jt2fb.png
    zbGTO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Hahahahaha brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Colm! wrote: »
    Nothing can overcome my boredom\procrastination. here's how I ended up spending the last few minutes:

sLrTz.png
    r74zl.png
    Jt2fb.png
    zbGTO.png

Oh Colm, we would've loved you in the L.C. Forum 2011-2012! :pac:

Looking at that first picture though, I must admit your Sraith's look way harder than what we had last year. :eek:.

My Oral was awful, I remember getting one of the easier Sraith's (Going on Holidays to Spain) and in one picture a group of people were playing Volleyball, the examiner has to ask you 3 questions and of course the first she asked me was: 'What are the group of people playing in this picture'..

*CUE AWKWARD 30 SECOND SILENCE WHERE I TRIED TO FIGURE OUT A
    WAY TO SQUIRM OUT OF ANSWERING BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE FOOKING WORD FOR VOLLEY BALL WAS..

My answer: 'Sacar.. Tá siad ag imirt Sacar'..

*Awkward examiner stares towards my direction in disbelief and disgust*..

:rolleyes:

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE! :pac:

eitpheil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Oh Colm, we would've loved you in the L.C. Forum 2011-2012! :pac:

PF you absolute traitor, get back to The Graduates forum :rolleyes:

And lol at your Sraith Pictiurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

how is everyone finding studying ? I know it's only October and all, but do you guys JUST do homework and study for a test if you have one, and if ye don't have a test not study at all ? Planning to start properly from the mid term on, only study at the moment for tests if we have them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ray2012 wrote: »
    how is everyone finding studying ? I know it's only October and all, but do you guys JUST do homework and study for a test if you have one, and if ye don't have a test not study at all ? Planning to start properly from the mid term on, only study at the moment for tests if we have them :P

Yep everything you said I am doing and planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Got the motion for our Irish debate today, "It is right that TD's and Senators have a choice in clothes to wear in the Houses of the Oireachtas." we're in favour, looking forward to it, it has to be said, I'm definitely wearing a pink shirt and a big wig of blond curls!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Yep everything you said I am doing and planning

I'm PLANNING to do a lot over the Mid-Term... but .. who knows. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

4 days.... 3 tests.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Im in this boat, I have been doing enough to keep my head above water, homework and some study, but I have not started what I would term " serious study " yet.

Biology test tomorrow and Chem on Wednesday :P Should be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I like scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Our school said they'll do study over mid-term if we want it so that should be fairly handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

I'm hoping to pop upto the library at least couple of the days over the midterm to do some study. But like someone said.. who knows.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Sounds good, well I'm actually in 5th year and i've always wanted to do medicine but to be honest ever since the h-pat came out I'd probably settle for pharmacy ....
    And like realistically I have very little chance of getting medicine.. so i just lower my aims to more, realistic ones i guess :rolleyes:

I was seriously thinking of medicine at one point too, gave up on that thought pretty quickish though. I didn't want to stress myself out by trying to get 600 points, which I most likely wouldn't get. Sure if I ever want to go back to it I'll find other routes into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Just got the date for my piano exam: 4 weeks from Wednesday! As if I didn't have enough to do already and then exams the week before!!

At the moment I've barely had time to practice even twice a week and now I'm goin to have to squeeze in a more normal amount of practice because I am in no way prepared for this..........

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Just got the date for my piano exam: 4 weeks from Wednesday! As if I didn't have enough to do already and then exams the week before!!

At the moment I've barely had time to practice even twice a week and now I'm goin to have to squeeze in a more normal amount of practice because I am in no way prepared for this..........

What grade? I did my grade 8 in may and told my piano teacher that I'd manage the senior cert this year... What was I thinking? I have hardly anytime to practise. :eek: good luck with it!

Anyway, I'm getting a bit of study done at weekends but during the week, mainly homework. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

You'll be studying in mid-term while I'm in New York :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

What grade? I did my grade 8 in may and told my piano teacher that I'd manage the senior cert this year... What was I thinking? I have hardly anytime to practise.

6. I've always done my exams in the session before christmas which is probably the worst time because you get half of it done before the summer and then have to patch it it up after summer when you've only got a few weeks before the exam is bearing down on you like is happening me now :(. I love it but I'm starting to get sick of it at the same time after doing 6/7 grades in 6 years :/ I probably wont have much time, if any, to keep it up after christmas what with mocks and orals and then the lc.........:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement