Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Colm! wrote: »
    No fair, Jacko, you've done your research :L

Mr. Jackobyte has rather clearly chosen to ignore the main point of my argument. I say the state has no money, and he tells me that the state is still obliged to donate, due to "the will of the people". Irish international debt is currently estimated at around €115,675,920,870 by Finance Dublin and €108,899,370,716 by Leo Varadkar TD, but is increasing around €35,578 every minute so just add a couple of million if you're reading this post late. (source: Irish Examiner\Leo Varadkar TD). With roughly €25,000 Euro for each Irish citizen owed to the mysterious powers of international politics and finance, one must wonder where the money to fund such a campaign of aid should come from. Yes, Ireland is a democracy, ruled by the people, but the will of the people can not lead to the realisation of the impossible. The will of the people cannot erase a €100bn debt to make way for an aid campaign. The motion is an objective fact. Aid is a luxury we cannot afford. The running costs of the state must come first. The state is obliged to keep our hospitals, schools, police force etc. running under Bunreacht na hEireann as well, to protect the stability of the country.
    Of course ODA will be cut by 20% as a protective measure to protect the very organs that keep our own country running! To deprive our citizens of health, education and order in these times is a truly undesirable action. We need to focus our limited resources into building a brighter future for Ireland so that one day we can help contribute to fixing the problems that the developing world suffer.

I stand by the motion for all that I've seen has confirmed it as fact. I vehemently suggest that you follow me and support this motion.
    My topic was solely based around our political duties, with the other speakers discussing the monetary side of things, so most of my research is irrelevant to the route you are bringing the debate down.

Yes, it is true, the state has no obvious method of obtaining the money required for aid, but the proposition approach this motion with a very short sided view. Let me put out there, the notion of tied aid. Tied Aid is aid supplied to a country with the understanding that when this aid is spent on development, all contracts will be given to companies from the country providing of the aid. This means that while the money is sent overseas by the the government, it essentially never leaves the country, creating jobs on the ground in both countries, as well as developing the infrastructure of the receiver. It helps develop trade links between both countries, which leads to further trade between the countries in the future, to the financial advantage of both countries. If you consider this, this aid is in fact an investment, and even if we have to borrow to pay it, in the long run, it will bring money into Ireland, dragging us out of our current economic condition. In the long run, it will pay for itself tenfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I was gonna say the exact same thing as Colm, I've absolutely no clue where I'm headed with my life but I'm just aiming for as high as I can and keeping all my options open.

I was gonna say the exact same thing as Colm, I've absolutely no clue where I'm headed with my life but I'm just aiming for as high as I can and keeping all my options open.
    I'm in the same boat as well. Aim for 600, and hope to come to a decision before there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Jackobyte wrote: »
    My topic was solely based around our political duties, with the other speakers discussing the monetary side of things, so most of my research is irrelevant to the route you are bringing the debate down.

Ahh, but you see, that's the thing. I see that as being how I can win the debate :P But I see no interest in derailing this thread with arguments over the ethics of tied aid (because it can have negative effects, I used that as an argument in the "Overseas aid doesn't work" motion that we won unanimously)

Still, you seem make a formidable opponent. Good luck. If you need practice, go yell at me on MSN or something :L

Colm! wrote: »
    Ahh, but you see, that's the thing. I see that as being how I can win the debate :P But I see no interest in derailing this thread with arguments over the ethics of tied aid (because it can have negative effects, I used that as an argument in the "Overseas aid doesn't work" motion that we won unanimously)

Still, you seem make a formidable opponent. Good luck. If you need practice, go yell at me on MSN or something :L
    We could go at each other for hours and still not make much leeway.

My topic, as in, my personal speech. The other 3 speeches dealt with different aspects of the motion. Political duties wasn't the the whole team's topic. We each took a part and dealt with it, rather than having 4 separate speeches covering the same topics. My part was our political duties; The wish of the majority of citizens in a democracy, our duty as supporters of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Principle of Reciprocity. My draft had points on our duty as signatories of the Millennium Declaration but I dropped that as it was too easily refutable.

And I agree, there are massive problems associated with Tied Aid, but the moral ethics of it don't come in to play too much with this particular motion. The proposition would have to say that untied aid is better than tied aid and in doing so, they would damage their own arguments.

You make a great opponent yourself. I wouldn't be feeling too confident if we were to come up against your school, presuming the rest of your team is at the same standard. Especially seeing as you came up with those points more or less on the spot, without recent background research done. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to bounce ideas off someone. Thanks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Slow Show wrote: »
    By the way, how did you go about getting work experience? My plan is to either go to my GP and ask about contacts and the like, or else just contact the hospital directly, but both seem to be a bit iffy in the way of actually getting a decent response. If all else fails I think I'll probably volunteer in a nursing home, which isn't really the same thing, but I need something if I'm gonna apply to UCAS (if I do decide to go for it, I'm going to cover all bases. :p).

I just contacted the Beacon directly and they took me on for TY Work Experience...then with the RCSI - they allocated places to certain schools - my school was lucky and got a place...but that was a TY programme so I amn't sure whether they do one for 5th year. You could ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I can't really quit though! I'll do this one but I really hope I won't get given out to yet again.. She made one of the girls cry and she does not cry easily! She constantly gives out and stops you literally every half sentence to give out :/ I'm proposing a motion in 3 weeks (the other one is next week) which is the harder side but hopefully it should be ok. Although tbh I'm sick of hearing about it all already!

To the person asking about work experience (sorry can't remember who), I wrote to a hospital and asked and got it. I also did the RCSI TY programme.

Whoooop for the weekend! :D 1 week til mid term :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Just picked up the applied maths papers. I'm scared.

decisions wrote: »

I don't think I even want to look at them!

We've done one Linear Motion question from them and it was damn hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I thought I'd be terrified, in fact I can already answer the first two questions from the 2010 HL paper...

Whether or not I'll remember how to in June 2013 is another matter entirely though.

9 subjects! All honours?!!

Yep! Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, History, Music, Applied Maths and Japanese, all honours.

Some people think I'm crazy, but in reality Japanese adds very little to my workload, and Music is fairly light in relative terms (I'm doing it in school as a regular subject). Applied Maths and History are heavy enough, but I love 'em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Yep! Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, History, Music, Applied Maths and Japanese, all honours.

Some people think I'm crazy, but in reality Japanese adds very little to my workload, and Music is fairly light in relative terms (I'm doing it in school as a regular subject). Applied Maths and History are heavy enough, but I love 'em :)

How much homework do you have a night? :rolleyes:

I thought I'd be terrified, in fact I can already answer the first two questions from the 2010 HL paper...

Whether or not I'll remember how to in June 2013 is another matter entirely though.

I can do a few of them but looking at how many I can't do is what scares me.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    How much homework do you have a night? :rolleyes:

Around 3 hours, I guess? I do after-school study 4 nights a week so I'm keeping on top of it.

3 essays (2 English, 1 History) due this week though T_T

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Around 3 hours, I guess? I do after-school study 4 nights a week so I'm keeping on top of it.

God that's a load! I was very lucky this weekend with only 30 mins homework.. Not looking forward to next year's homework though.

God that's a load! I was very lucky this weekend with only 30 mins homework.. Not looking forward to next year's homework though.

Thirty minutes?? My Applied Maths was light this week...Took about an hour and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Thirty minutes?? My Applied Maths was light this week...Took about an hour and a half!

Hour and a half?! We get 45 minutes max! But we do have 3 classes a week i suppose!

I get atleast 3 hours a night and that's on a good night! :( I started this weekends homework at 4 and nowhere near finished.. :'(

9 subjects! All honours?!!

I thought my 8 honours was a heavy workload! What are you hoping to do in college?

I get about 3 hours a night during the week but at the weekends it's ridiculous - I got like 5 hours this weekend! 600 word Irish essay, an english essay and loads more. Can't wait for the mid term though!

• Advertisement

I thought my 8 honours was a heavy workload! What are you hoping to do in college?

I get about 3 hours a night during the week but at the weekends it's ridiculous - I got like 5 hours this weekend! 600 word Irish essay, an english essay and loads more. Can't wait for the mid term though!

Aiming for European Studies in Trinity at the moment :)

What does that involve..?

What does that involve..?

Studying two European languages, along with European history, history of ideas and sociology :)

Studying two European languages, along with European history, history of ideas and sociology :)

That sounds like a lot of work :pac:

That sounds like a lot of work :pac:

Well, most college courses are...

Well, most college courses are...

Yeh but 2 Languages!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

ONE DAY TIL MID-TERM :D

Glee_GG wrote: »
    ONE DAY TIL MID-TERM :D
    Sleep.. A life :D

MID-TERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........ZZzzzzz

• Advertisement

MID-TERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........ZZzz[SIZE="1"]zzz[/SIZE]

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

I can sleep as much as I want!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement