Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Slow Show wrote: »
    What is it? :) I totes think we should all help each other through this difficult and turbulent year...

So ermmm yeah I have a page of maths questions that I'm completely lost with >.>
    Well I've finally managed to get it done (with the help of a little google translate) but I had to say I was looking forward to someone's visit, what we were going to do, what I did for my birthday and how the exams were going.....there was something else fairly straight forward as well that I can't remember.

I'd help with your maths homework but I can barely do my own these days and I was good at maths. :( Damn co-ordinate geometry.

I've also just remembered that I've got a maths test on the circle on Tuesday and a Macbeth quotes test on Monday......

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

decisions wrote: »
    Detention next Wednesday!!! YAY!!!

Whatever for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

DermotOH wrote: »
    decisions wrote: »
    Detention next Wednesday!!! YAY!!!

Whatever for?

Just generally being a lazy git. My physics teacher lost it at me after class and told me that I'm either to leave the class or do a detention.

I knew there's be a downfall to having 2 maths books, I've a test tomorrow and I forgot to bring home the right book, my homework is from book 1 and the test from book 2.:(

Oh well.....I couldn't do any of the questions in the book anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Maths test tomorrow as well! :/

I was feeling a bit confident, but then I said I'd try the 2011 part on the factor theorum and I couldn't do the b) part. Oh shit! :(

• Advertisement

Matsh test did not end i dsaaster like I thought it would. There was the end of one part that kinda got me and I had it just figured out when time was up (or at least I think I did....), if I 'd have had 3 minutes more I probably would have had it done.

Matsh test did not end i dsaaster like I thought it would. There was the end of one part that kinda got me and I had it just figured out when time was up (or at least I think I did....), if I 'd have had 3 minutes more I probably would have had it done.
    Mine didn't go too bad. Q6 of 6 got me but I'm pretty sure I should get about half the marks at a bare minimum for it. Made a stupid slip in Q5 but it was right at the very end so I would hope for a slip rather than a blunder for it. Overall, it was as good as I could have hoped for.

So our English homework for next week is to write something, anything that might be submitted into the school magazine. The teacher left it wide open for us and told us to write anything we want for it; poetry, short story, review etc.............But eh yeah, I can't do poetry, definately can't do short stories and no hope in hell am I writing a review of anything.........so...... I'm kinda stuck here.........any ideas, anyone........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Long-form rant? Film\book\television\music\radio review? Short-form rant? Jokes made in incredibly bad taste? Letter to the editor criticising how awful the school magazine is? A "Don't be stupid" PSA to the junior students? Satirical article mocking the government\famous people\a friend of yours? An article about how you can't find anything to write an article about (basically a rant)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Emo haikus?

If you need assistance,
    http://www.prestopnik.com/emo_haiku/

Very deep and profound altogether.

• Advertisement

Emo haikus?

If you need assistance,
    http://www.prestopnik.com/emo_haiku/

Very deep and profound altogether.
    only music can
    Boo-hoo, boo-hoo, boo-hoo, wha!
    I cry tears of blood

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Jackobyte wrote: »
    App. Maths makes perfect sense in class, but as soon as I go home and have a question to do, it suddenly becomes impossible.

My life, right there.

Having a week between classes is a bummer for Ap Maths too. Thankfully it's my regular Maths teacher who's teaching us so I can ask her questions during the week...otherwise I'd have dropped it already as it's my 9th subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I finished the vel/accel chapter a couple of weeks ago. I loved that - I understood everything in it - just the relative vel is getting me. In fact, this may seem sad but I am still not completely sure what a vector is lol my teacher kind of just brushed over it. Like, if a vector is 2i + 3j --- what do the numbers stand for ?? Meters, kilometres, the speed? Sad, right?? I suppose it is only 5th yr -- I have a whole 2 yrs before the LC...

The numbers stand for the number of units along the i or j axis, ie a vector that's just 2j is simply a line along the positive j axis, extending to the '2' mark.

If that makes any sense :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Concern Debates are doing my head in. Constant criticism from the teacher. I want to quit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Concern Debates are doing my head in. Constant criticism from the teacher. I want to quit :(

Then quit. No point doing something you're not enjoying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

FYG wrote: »
    Then quit. No point doing something you're not enjoying. :)

+1
    Don't let others tell you what you can/cannot do. (realistically of course!)

Ooh! Concern Debates! What's the motion? We won our one on Wednesday night as the opposition to the motion "Aid is a luxury Ireland cannot afford". Delighted! :D

Ooh! Concern Debates! What's the motion? We won our one on Wednesday night as the opposition to the motion "Aid is a luxury Ireland cannot afford". Delighted! :D

Oh Jacko, you are so lucky you didn't come up against me and my crew. With a motion like that, we could have destroyed you. :L

This year we're up in the UCC Munster Schools Debating Competition, with a ridiculously difficult motion "Religious symbols should be banned from all public institutions". I'm speaker #23, Proposition 12th. Yes, 12th. I'm the second member of the sixth and final Prop team. So. much. pressure. Regardless, it should be a good intro to college-level debates :L

Colm! wrote: »
    Oh Jacko, you are so lucky you didn't come up against me and my crew. With a motion like that, we could have destroyed you. :L
    Oh, well!

*goes off in huff*

Seriously though, we definitely had the better side of the motion. It is a very hard motion to defend, you basically have to be the cunt and say, yes, we should leave children die of curable diseases for our own comfort.

I know you are a very strong debating school but we aren't bad. We just have to work on refuting a bit. I got in 3 refutes, and our captain refuted every point them said in his closing speech but there were so many other points that could have been attacked by the other speakers and weren't. I doubt you would have destroyed us though. We had some very strong points, and a few weak ones. All of mine were very solid and pretty much irrefutable, and our captain is a beast, but we had one speaker who should have been ripped apart, if the other team had been any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EoinOCall

How much are people studying in 5th year?

I'm doing 8 subjects 7 higher & pass maths and I have done nothing to be honest.

I'm getting all A's and B's in the tests towards Christmas (continuous assessments) but my study for them is kept until on the bus the morning before :/

• Advertisement

Seriously though, we definitely had the better side of the motion. It is a very hard motion to defend, you basically have to be the cunt and say, yes, we should leave children die of curable diseases for our own comfort.
    Our own comfort? You mean that as our country is on the brink of total economic collapse and we're being forced to receive financial aid that we're in any position to be the donators of aid? Firstly, we must rebuild ourselves. Once we have money to spend, we can spend it. But after the collapse, we can't afford to keep our own country running. When we're stuck with multi-billion bailout packages being thrown at us, how can we possibly begin to help others? There are others who have the means to aid others in need. We aren't saying "let the poor starve", we're saying "we aren't able to help right now, but there are others in the international community who have no barrier to giving aid."
    Some may call us selfish, but I'm being realistic. I don't want to be held accountable for the suffering of those in the developing world, even if that is what the opposition will say in an attempt to hide the harsh truths of this world.
    We simply cannot afford the luxury of aid donation. Support the motion.

It's like that. See, I don't have to be a cunt. We found nice ways of saying that aid doesn't work, that we failed miserably at helping Haiti and so on. Concern are dodgy enough though. I lost in round 5 vs. Tralee, we clearly had the better team (this isn't our cockiness. only one of the three judges had any debating experience, and he was the one who voted for us. The other two were Toastmasters members from Tralee. Biased as hell). This apparently happens a lot, and our school quit Concern as a result of it before. We were going to re-enter this year but missed the deadline :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

MegGustaa wrote: »
    My life, right there.

Having a week between classes is a bummer for Ap Maths too. Thankfully it's my regular Maths teacher who's teaching us so I can ask her questions during the week...otherwise I'd have dropped it already as it's my 9th subject!

9 subjects! All honours?!!

EoinOCall wrote: »
    How much are people studying in 5th year?

I'm doing 8 subjects 7 higher & pass maths and I have done nothing to be honest.

I'm getting all A's and B's in the tests towards Christmas (continuous assessments) but my study for them is kept until on the bus the morning before :/

Meh I used to stress because I wasn't really doing proper, regular study in 5th year, especially with the whole aiming high thing, but tbh I'm actually doing pretty well in school by just studying for tests, and I'm retaining the information well enough, so I'm just going to continue in this vein for a while. I might re-evaluate after Christmas, but in fairness next year is a long year, and it wouldn't do any good to burn yourself out in 5th year. I'm keeping on top of it and laying a strong enough foundation this year in my opinion, so I'm not too pushed.

Although this is all relative, different people operate differently. I've kind of accepted that I don't need to work as hard as a lot of people (I know, I know, how self-indulgent of me) but at the same time I'm not going to get complacent about it all. At least, I better not.

Or else I'm just a lazy bum. :p

I really hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me in two years when I've done feck all work and end up failing my Leaving Cert. :p

Meh I used to stress because I wasn't really doing proper, regular study in 5th year, especially with the whole aiming high thing, but tbh I'm actually doing pretty well in school by just studying for tests, and I'm retaining the information well enough, so I'm just going to continue in this vein for a while. I might re-evaluate after Christmas, but in fairness next year is a long year, and it wouldn't do any good to burn yourself out in 5th year. I'm keeping on top of it and laying a strong enough foundation this year in my opinion, so I'm not too pushed.

Although this is all relative, different people operate differently. I've kind of accepted that I don't need to work as hard as a lot of people (I know, I know, how self-indulgent of me) but at the same time I'm not going to get complacent about it all. At least, I better not.

Or else I'm just a lazy bum. :p

Christ I really hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me in two years when I've done feck all work and end up failing my Leaving Cert. :p

I am more or less the same. I am really only studying for tests but seeing as my November exams (we have our exams in November - not Christmas) are in three weeks, I am going to have to start studying a bit more now...but with the amount of homework I get at the weekend I don't think that's possible! I have a 600 word Irish essay on "Éire - Ní Tír í do na sean", an english essay and a french essay due Monday. Meh, homework :( You said that your aiming high? How high is "high" exactly? I am hoping for 540 points...French and Music in Trinity.

Colm! wrote: »
    Our own comfort? You mean that as our country is on the brink of total economic collapse and we're being forced to receive financial aid that we're in any position to be the donators of aid? Firstly, we must rebuild ourselves. Once we have money to spend, we can spend it. But after the collapse, we can't afford to keep our own country running. When we're stuck with multi-billion bailout packages being thrown at us, how can we possibly begin to help others? There are others who have the means to aid others in need. We aren't saying "let the poor starve", we're saying "we aren't able to help right now, but there are others in the international community who have no barrier to giving aid."
    Some may call us selfish, but I'm being realistic. I don't want to be held accountable for the suffering of those in the developing world, even if that is what the opposition will say in an attempt to hide the harsh truths of this world.
    We simply cannot afford the luxury of aid donation. Support the motion.
    Aid consists of 0.54% of annual GNP, it really is insignificant when you consider our overall financial problems. The money we give in developmental aid annually is 0.004% of what we have given to NAMA, so the propositions attempt to compare it to the bail-out packages, is frankly laughable. Yet in comparison to the rest of our stately expenses, aid received disproportionate cuts in last year. ODA(Overseas Developmental Aid) was cut by 20% in the 2010 budget. Let me turn your attention to Article 6 of Bunreacht na hEireann for one moment.

Article 6.1
    All powers of government, legislative, executive and judicial, derive, under God, from the people, whose right it is to designate the rulers of the State and, in final appeal, to decide all questions of national policy, according to the requirements of the common good.

The definition of democracy is a form of government in which all people have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. In the Constitution it is clearly stated that Ireland is a democratic state, and that the government act as the public representatives of the electorate of Ireland, as a direct extension of the people. Following this logic, aid to other countries should be offered, if, and only if, it is the wish of the people of Ireland.
    A recent survey carried out by Ipsos MRBI showed that it is the wish of the public to offer overseas aid with over 79% of respondents agreeing that it was important for Ireland to continue to support overseas aid, even in our current economic difficulties.
    Yet, the proposition will try to tell you that we should not offer overseas aid? That we should go against the will of the public? Surely, if we truly live in a democratic state, which I believe we do, the wishes of the people should be obeyed at all costs, and aid should continue to be given to those who need it.

This could be a good one! :P

I am more or less the same. I am really only studying for tests but seeing as my November exams (we have our exams in November - not Christmas) are in three weeks, I am going to have to start studying a bit more now...but with the amount of homework I get at the weekend I don't think that's possible! I have a 600 word Irish essay on "Éire - Ní Tír í do na sean", an english essay and a french essay due Monday. Meh, homework :( You said that your aiming high? How high is "high" exactly? I am hoping for 540 points...French and Music in Trinity.

Ermmm as high as 625 as I can possibly get tbh. :L I'm the worst ever for making a decision about my future - I make decisions I'm dead set on and then change my mind a week later - but right now it's either medicine or psychology, with the former at the forefront of my mind at the moment.

I dunno though, certain things need to be sorted out (work experience and the like) until I make a proper decision. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be able to make a more informed decision. :)

What's everyone else thinking of doing with their lives anyway? :)

Ermmm as high as 625 as I can possibly get tbh. :L I'm the worst ever for making a decision about my future - I make decisions I'm dead set on and then change my mind a week later - but right now it's either medicine or psychology, with the former at the forefront of my mind at the moment.

I dunno though, certain things need to be sorted out (work experience and the like) until I make a proper decision. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be able to make a more informed decision. :)

Wow! You are aiming high! I was all for medicine last year...then I did work experience in the Royal College of Surgeons and the Beacon hospital - which I actually really liked - but I realized that I really would not like to work 36 hours straight with little sleep and food...so before making your decision - definitely get some work experience!

Wow! You are aiming high! I was all for medicine last year...then I did work experience in the Royal College of Surgeons and the Beacon hospital - which I actually really liked - but I realized that I really would not like to work 36 hours straight with little sleep and food...so before making your decision - definitely get some work experience!

By the way, how did you go about getting work experience? My plan is to either go to my GP and ask about contacts and the like, or else just contact the hospital directly, but both seem to be a bit iffy in the way of actually getting a decent response. If all else fails I think I'll probably volunteer in a nursing home, which isn't really the same thing, but I need something if I'm gonna apply to UCAS (if I do decide to go for it, I'm going to cover all bases. :p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EoinOCall

I'm aiming for physiotherapy in UCD or Trinity. I think like you I change my mind but I normally end up going back to physiotherapy.

So aiming around 530-540, I think I could get it with 8 subjects. Hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't have a clue what I want to do with my life. Just aiming as high as I can right now and hopefully I'll have made some decision in my two years.

--

No fair, Jacko, you've done your research :L

Mr. Jackobyte has rather clearly chosen to ignore the main point of my argument. I say the state has no money, and he tells me that the state is still obliged to donate, due to "the will of the people". Irish international debt is currently estimated at around €115,675,920,870 by Finance Dublin and €108,899,370,716 by Leo Varadkar TD, but is increasing around €35,578 every minute so just add a couple of million if you're reading this post late. (source: Irish Examiner\Leo Varadkar TD). With roughly €25,000 Euro for each Irish citizen owed to the mysterious powers of international politics and finance, one must wonder where the money to fund such a campaign of aid should come from. Yes, Ireland is a democracy, ruled by the people, but the will of the people can not lead to the realisation of the impossible. The will of the people cannot erase a €100bn debt to make way for an aid campaign. The motion is an objective fact. Aid is a luxury we cannot afford. The running costs of the state must come first. The state is obliged to keep our hospitals, schools, police force etc. running under Bunreacht na hEireann as well, to protect the stability of the country.
    Of course ODA will be cut by 20% as a protective measure to protect the very organs that keep our own country running! To deprive our citizens of health, education and order in these times is a truly undesirable action. We need to focus our limited resources into building a brighter future for Ireland so that one day we can help contribute to fixing the problems that the developing world suffer.

I stand by the motion for all that I've seen has confirmed it as fact. I vehemently suggest that you follow me and support this motion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement