Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck tomorrow slowsteady!! You'll run a great one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

wishing you the best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

A long report, and not a happy one.

Went into this feeling a lot better prepared than for DCM last year where I had missed a whole months training 8 weeks out from the race and was light on proper LSRs. The result was leg cramps from just after Milltown to the finish, which I put down to lack of mileage and runs at race pace.

Fears of heat and wind dissipated at the start where the morning was fresh with light drizzle for a while, ideal running weather. It was at this point I decided to head out for my target of sub-3.30 and planned to go just ahead of the pacers and run my own race.

The atmosphere at the start was good, helped by meeting lots of friends, relations and running buddies. The numbers were not huge but despite my fears at no point on the course were you left running totally on your own.

Started on time and headed off steadily enough through the town, it was a bit strange following a route I have run other times in races and training, realising this time it was different and we were going to be going to for a lot longer. First 5 miles were handy, pretty much flat and I ran these at 7:40 pace so I had built up about a one minute buffer for the hills ahead. About here I passed a guy running in long Bermuda shorts – after 26 miles? – ouch!

The next stretch was undulating, mainly uphill, through the suburbs of the town and these were run at race pace 7:55, no stress or problems. Out the Cork Road the wind was in our faces but while brisk for a while was no real issue, then came the big hill of the day as we turned off to head to Tramore. Having done this a few times I had my own strategy, lose a minute on the final mile and hope to pick it up on the other side past the halfway point and the relay changeover at O’Keeffe’s Cross. This worked pretty well to a point as I lost 50 sec on the climb but it took the next 4 miles to pull it back in.

Mile 17 into Tramore was handy enough, 7:57, bang on target, average pace to this point was 7:50, spot on, the gale I had feared on the seafront did not materialise so things were looking good.

Out of nowhere I got a dart of cramp in my left calf which passed but I immediately eased back and thought about my nutrition and hydration. I started with a bottle of carb drink in my hand and took it religiously every few miles, replaced it with water and took two gels at 12 and 15 miles so I should have been fine. Did the next 2 miles at 8:30 pace, conscious sub-3-30 was now under threat but was hit with worsening cramps and had to adopt a walk-run strategy. The 3-30 pacing train passed by and despite lots of encouragement from my training buddies could not get on and had to watch them disappear into the distance.

I was now into damage limitation mode and aimed to get a PB as a minimum which could be achieved with anything close to 9 min miles but the cramps got worse and at one point both calves and both quads cramped at the same time, not pretty. Miles 20 to 24 I somehow managed at 9:03 pace but then I hit the ‘wall’. At least I think that is what it was, I needed sub-10 minute miles for the last two, pancake flat, the cramps had eased but I couldn’t run, or I could for a few hundred yards but then stopped, walked for 100 yards started again but couldn’t keep going and stopped again.

I was being passed wholesale at this stage and then one of my running buddies who was doing the half, passed me, saw the state I was in and stopped to pace me home. I really needed that and he brought me on for most of the last mile but I had to let him go in the end. Even though I was 400 yards from the finish I had to walk and only managed the last bit on the track at a shuffle to try and beat 3:40:00 clock time which I failed to do.

The St John’s Ambulance members were all over me at the end but a chair and a rest were all I needed. I knew if I relaxed I would pass out so I held it together for about 10 minutes before I moved on down the finishing chute. Disappointment was the overwhelming feeling as I had, if not a sub-3:30, then at least a PB in the bag 8 miles from home and I missed both, by only 21 seconds in the end for the PB. My mates were happy out with their performances and the atmosphere around the finish was great. Watching people galloping in an hour behind my time and seeing how fresh they were only drove home how poor I must have been for the last stretch, I was walking:o.

Maybe it was badly paced, maybe I was too ambitious and maybe my nutrition or training strategy was wrong. All in all I was not happy company last night. Today I am philosophical, there will be other days but I still feel it was an opportunity missed, and on home turf too:(.

Hard luck on missing the target, you gave it a great shot. Went to college in Waterford so i know the route well, so not an easy marathon.

Maybe to get you thru that final few miles, you might need to do some strength training? I was using Mcmillan dvd's and found them good, need to get back into them.

I will have to run the Waterford marathon in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah i'm very sorry to read that things did not go to plan for you on the day and i feel your pain. Still you held strong and got to the end in a very good time. Take it as a learning curve and you'll be back strong and better for your next one. Take care and do a full recovery now

Really sorry that you didn't get your goal time slowsteady. You had it tough with the cramps by the sounds of it :( You were really unlucky, you put in all the hard work in training, but I've no doubt next time out you'll get that 3.30 no probs. While the event was briliantly organised, it's not the easiest of routes.

Enjoy the rest and recovery :)

Heard this morning, that the winner had a mishap on the Tramore Road, and that 2nd placed runner collapsed on the track before getting over the finish line. Scary stuff.

Before this log gets archived out of existence – down on Page 11 at present – I’ve decided to see if it can be revived and given some life again.

Quick summary since the marathon last June –

Recovered well after Waterford and got back into training but in four runs towards the end of July had the same cramping issues on any run over 6-7 miles. Had looked after nutrition and fluids, stretches, etc, took advice from all corners but couldn’t seem to identify the cause. Had a blood test which indicated low iron but by that time was so p***ed off I threw the runners in the corner for August and forgot about it.

Went back occasionally in following months but each time had Achilles issues – the rest seemed to cause as many problems as it solved. Did 4 mile run Xmas week – repeat experience – consoled myself with over-eating/drinking/dossing-in-the-pit till New Year.

New Year is great – clean slate, start again, older, wiser, cuter (mentally only, wrinkles are not cute:P) - decided to run as often as possible and run the problems out of my legs. Less is more was the new mantra, build slowly, slow runs slow, fast runs hard – all the things spoken about on here – and more or less ignored by yours truly:o.

Enough of all that.

Things have gone well for past few months, slow start but kept injury free and built up fitness so I am now where I was last year but without the long miles in the legs.

Present programme is a race on a Friday, recovery Sat, LSR Sunday, intervals Tuesday, recovery Wednesday. Races are whatever is on locally, all short, 5k, 10k, 5/6/7 mile. Working well as getting a kick from seeing some progression, hitting a few PBs (no big deal as soft enough – an eyeballs out 5k last night in 20:36) ...so life is good… for now…

Sun - LSR 16.5miles, 8:44, HR 128

Longest run of the year so far. Biggest issue was the 7am fashion dilemma, base layer, gloves and hat - yes or no? Went with no and while breeze was cold enough there was sufficient shelter to keep the worst away. Legs tired for the rest of the day but grand this morning.

Welcome back. Was wondering where you were and thought maybe Waterford had broken you for good.

• Advertisement

Welcome back. Was wondering where you were and thought maybe Waterford had broken you for good.
    Nearly, but not quite, it was a day when it all came together, the niggles, the accumulated frustration, etc, etc. The laugh about it was that I actually got a Boston qualifier both in Dublin'11 and Waterford (by seconds in both cases:p) but at the time I only saw the negatives so it was as well to leave it alone for a spell and regain the mojo.

Starting again here to try to put a bit more structure around what have been a few good months since New Year. Must catch up on the doings around the logs, yours included, any 2013 targets?

Great to see you back posting slowsteady :) Nice milage there Saturday, you'll get your revenge on Waterford come the 29th June!

Tue - Hill Repeats 2.76 miles, 9:57, HR 138

Part of my new less is more philosophy, less than 3 mile session:eek:. Long day at work ahead so out at 5.30am with the mercury in negative figures but a ball of sweat within a very short time. Live on a hill so literally working hard within yards of home. Session is 5x400 with aim of bringing HR up to 90-95% and recovery on jog back to start. Serious shock to the system at that time of the morning.

Wed - Intervals 5.53 miles, 8:03, HR 144

1.5 mile warmup, 10x200 intervals with 30 sec recovery, 1.5 mile warmdown. This was yesterday evening and done in 16 degree heat, some contrast to Tue.

Legs fairly stressed by two workouts in 36 hours but working different muscles. Rest for two days now ahead of Saturday. Must get some core exercises going.
    RubyK wrote: »
    you'll get your revenge on Waterford come the 29th June!
    Not sure at all that I will be ready but the pressure is on to enter:o.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Nearly, but not quite, it was a day when it all came together, the niggles, the accumulated frustration, etc, etc. The laugh about it was that I actually got a Boston qualifier both in Dublin'11 and Waterford (by seconds in both cases:p) but at the time I only saw the negatives so it was as well to leave it alone for a spell and regain the mojo.

Starting again here to try to put a bit more structure around what have been a few good months since New Year. Must catch up on the doings around the logs, yours included, any 2013 targets?

New York is the main target this year. Also wanted to break 44 min for 10k and did that 2 weeks ago with 42:16. So all going well, fingers cross.

So whats your plans?

Best of luck for the Waterford-Tramore race tomorrow slowsteady! Enjoy :D

New York is the main target this year. Also wanted to break 44 min for 10k and did that 2 weeks ago with 42:16. So all going well, fingers cross.

So whats your plans?
    After watching London last week, very jealous:p.

Wish I had NY as a target but mine are much more modest for the moment. Never really did the shorter stuff as felt I was too old/slow (more like old and slow:D) so I am giving those a go. Surprised myself by going sub-44 for 10k and sub-21 for 5k so sticking to them for present.

Bank Holiday Sat evening, tourist town, audience of 20 children and early teens plus 2 gardai, a mile from the finish and vomiting into a flower bed:o - not the way to remember a race.

Annual Waterford-Tramore 7.5mile yesterday, huge crowd, went with the hope of finally doing this justice after a couple of modest years.

Aim was to beat last year's 7:10 pace, so started strongly after a good warmup, 6:45, cut back the pace slightly for next mile, 6:58, and third mile was fine at 7:12 against a strong breeze. By this time my stomach was beginning to make its presence felt but pressed on up a steady incline, 7:25. Water station, took one small drink and left the bottle, the breeze was at its strongest after this and the stomach started to kick up big time as we continued the steady climb, 7:43. 5 miles in 36 min dead, time was salvageable if I could keep the same average pace but the progressive slowing was to accelerate:rolleyes:. Mile 6 included a downhill which held the pace to 7:41 but the next mile was uphill and here the wheels came off as the stomach decided it wasn't having anymore. I spent most of the mile deciding was it better in or out and only the audience as I went around the roundabout as we got to Tramore kept me going for a further 20 yards to save some semblence of pride before stopping, 8:18. Felt better after that and put in a great finish:p for final half mile (downhill:)) at 6:41 pace.

7:23 pace in the end, all in all not the best. Put it down to a bug doing the rounds in the house plus picking instead of eating a proper meal during the day. Despite giving the food 3 hours it probably was not enough. Legs are OK but stomach aches this morning.

Great crowd and atmosphere, well organised once again, can't comment on the grub - as you might imagine - find that performance next year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Glad to see you back logging Slowsteady, yesterdays run sounded rough - many more better ones to come over the summer

Mon - Easy 5.65 miles, 8.37, HR 135

Gave Sunday a skip, other than exercising the digestive tract (refuelling after Sat you understand:o), an easy loop in the early morning sunshine. Legs were fine, did some core work later as feel strength here is missing when the pressure comes on.

Tue - Hill Repeats 2.81 miles, 9:34, HR 146

Repeat of last week but a bit harder, actually 6x400 (mis-count last week)on a 8/9% grade, drives the HR from 117 to 153+ in a quarter of a mile without stressing the legs too much. Done, dusted and in the shower in sub-30, great when dad's-taxi-service is in demand:).

Oh, Saturday sounded rough! That road is v v long when you're not feeling 100%, and the strong headwind couldn't have helped either.

Fair play to you for still managing a great time though :)

• Advertisement

Wed - Intervals 6.84 miles, 7:44, HR 137

Due to family duties didn't get out for this till late evening after the showers had taken all the heat out of what had been a nice day (after the morning downpour:p).

2 mile warmup was followed by 6 x half mile at 5k pace with 2 minute recovery, 1 mile warmdown. Strong enough breeze so while first, third and fifth laps were OK with the wind the return legs were tough, averaged about 6:40 overall so pleased enough. Felt the session, coming on top of the hills on Tuesday, but gritted the teeth and was enjoying it by the end.

Sun - Annerville 10K, Clonmel

Plan for the week was to run a 5-miler on Friday and had given the legs a couple of days off as a consequence, however family issues precluded running. Provisionally re-scheduled to do this race so went out yesterday morning for a medium run to substitute for the original Sunday LSR. Paced it very sensibly, 11.19 miles at 8:34, but the legs ached all day as ended up standing more than usual (natural couch bunny:rolleyes:).

Got up this morning with residual aches but just got on with the morning and forgot about it. Rolled up to the race and got a nice surprise, tech t-shirt, water (in bottles) before, during and after race plus great spread (lots of cake:p) afterwards - all for €10. Weather was more settled than the squally gales so far for the weekend but the breeze was still around.

About 350 lined up on what was a reasonably flat course, went away fairly sharp and having seen 6:20 pace after a third of a mile eased back a touch and covered the first mile in 6:38. Plan was to look at going around 7:00 pace and second mile covered in 6:53 and the third in 7:12 after turning back and into the breeze.

Then the schoolboy error, just on the 6k mark, my right lace came undone and the next mile or so was a mental debate about stopping or not to tie it. As I was on about PB pace I decided to plough on but for the next couple of miles the course was undulating and head on into a gusty breeze so covered these in 7:22 and 7:32. Turned back towards town for the final mile which was broadly flat with a nice straight run-in to the finish.

A lot of encouragement given to a local guy I could hear on my shoulder who passed me and a couple of others at the mile mark (imaginary, as the course was marked in KM:)). I tried to pick it up and see if I could get back and over the next half mile passed the other two guys and got to about 10 yards. Put in a big effort from half out and got to about 5 yards but he heard me coming and eased away to the finish. Pleased with my own strong(ish) finish, final mile in 6:57 and 6:46 for the bit, forgot about the lace in the final push so good call to leave it.

Garmin time of 43:55, 17 seconds behind PB, but as I think that course may have been slightly short happy enough given yesterday's miles as well.

Tue - Intervals, 6:53 miles, 7:50, HR 142

Various issues are putting time at a premium at present so training sessions need to be quality. Run was done away from home so made this one up on the hoof.

Loop of a couple of miles for warm-up/cool-down with 3 x 1000 uphill at about 10k pace with jog back down recovery. The uphill element made this a near-threshold run for the final quarter pushing the HR up progressively from starting around 120 up to 157,159 and 161. Good enjoyable session with a cool breeze keeping the temperature down - as Spring only arrived a fortnight ago I supposed we should get used to this for a while.

The past couple of weeks have been totally disrupted with family issues so runs have been very much on an as-and-when basis.

Cheetah 4 Mile Run

Ran this the last couple of years so came back for another go. Great organisation by Eagle AC and as the event gets bigger they seem to be able to keep up with the issues raised. The tapes marking off the perdicted finish time sections at the start were an excellent idea and, certainly towards the front of the race, seemed to work well as there was very little congestion in the first mile. The weather on the trip down was pleasant if a bit cold but just after registration a fairly heavy shower had me hiding in the car rather than out warming up. I was tempted to put on a jacket for the run but the rain passed with just enough time to get in a couple of miles warm-up before the run.

Lined up at the back end of the 28 to 32 minute section and got off to a clean start. As usual most runners (including yours truly:rolleyes:) took off like we were potentially dinner for the animals but the crowd kept my pace to a steady 6:45 for the first mile. The middle of the race takes us out around the former estate adjoining the park and the second flat mile was another 6:45. The third mile which is a net uphill was a bit tougher but came in at 6:57. Legs were tiring during the last mile but the hungry looks from the cheetah enclosure kept me going for a 6:55 which with change gave me a 27:39 finish, a PB of over a minute so worth the trip.:)

Fri - Recovery, 5.64 miles, 8:23, HR 133

Long day ahead so out with the early birds, legs felt good, bit fast.

Sat - Medium run, 8:61 miles, 8:30, HR 128

Out again early, chilly enough, easy amble as was saving myself for Sunday

Sun - LSR, 21.26 miles, 9:09, HR 127

Wanted to get a decent LSR in as hadn't been close to 20 miles since June last year. Again out with the birds, definitely still Spring weather as, despite the sun, hardly broke sweat for the whole 3 hours plus. Went out at a steady 8:45 pace and passed the time with multiple episodes of Marathon Talk, evidence of my lack of LSRs. Found the run OK but the last 5/6 miles were tough enough as left all the hills to this section, need to plan it better in future and aim to finish stronger. As a first run over 16 miles I was pleased enough and while the jump in mileage is more than I would have liked I needed to see where I was (if I intend to run Waterford).

Sun, Mon, Tues were organised chaos as I knew they would be and running was out. Legs were not too bad but with little opportunity to do anything but stand on them I was constantly stretching to ease the aches and pains, mild ones it has to be said. A funeral led to a gathering of cousins from far and wide and a family smackdown might be scheduled for later in the summer (if it ever arrives - one day on Monday doesn't count).

Wed - Intervals, 4 miles, 31 min

Forgot the Garmin for this run so very much guesswork, funny how you feel lost without it even though it only gets occasional looks. Warm-up followed by 6x300m followed by cool-down. Feet were achy enough both before, during and after this (can you say both?), have never really taken to the Asics GT2000s, and keep going back to the 2170s as they feel better, might try and pick some up again.

Ras na Rinne 5.4 miles, 42:21

As part of a general plan to try to up my speed, went to Dungarvan for this race yesterday evening. Never run it before so wasn't sure what to expect. Route is downhill on the road for a mile from the village onto the strand, out along the beach, back up through the grassy sand dunes, with the final mile back up the hill. Lovely sunny evening with a light breeze for the first half of the race.

Started cautiously as I usually will gallop off on a downhill and kept in with runners I know are about my pace till we got down to the beach. Here the race split with some going slightly longer along the tideline and others taking the direct route across the fresh sand revealed by the tide. I chose the direct route which was fine until we came to a number of small lagoons which necessitated running up to yours knees in a few spots. Got back to the tideline after most of a mile and found those in front stretching away leaving me to pace myself for the rest of the race. This was not a bad thing as it meant I could concentrate on my footing and judge effort from my breathing. Struggled a bit in the last mile but held it together fairly well, misjudged the final sprint as I thought we had further to go.

Good race, hard to judge because of the conditions but happy with the HR, 148, 157,156,156, 156, 155 - how's that for consistency:)

Sat - Tempo, 6.71 miles, 7:49, HR 138

As previous night's race was not an outright, flat out road race I felt I needed to put a bit more effort into what would normally be a recovery run. However with a planned LSR on Sun I didn't want to wreck the legs ahead of a more important run. Decisions, decisions, ended up doing what you should never do - going out without a clear pupose.

The compromise was that I did the run at what I would like my marathon pace to be - fully prepared:rolleyes: - about 7:50. Done now, so moving on swiftly...

Sun - LSR, 22.15 miles, 8:36, HR 128

Due to family issues, the only time slot was early so clicked the Garmin at 6:15am after a couple of drinks and a banana. Last week was my first proper LSR of the year so having proved I could actually keep going I wanted to do it with bit more purpose this time. First difference was to change the route as last week I left a heap of hills to the end (2,300ft of climbing) so this time I picked a smaller loop and did it twice with a third 5-mile loop to finish. I hate repeating loops because on a bad day it plays with your head and it is too easy to bail. Second change was to step up the pace and work with my nutrition, the advantage of the loops was that I didn't have to carry anything, just stash it in the ditch.

Kicked off the first 8 miles at 8:29, the second at 8:35 and the final loop fell back to 8:49 but I was not too worried about that as it was a bit hillier and I didn't push what were now tired legs after two energetic days previously. Nutrition worked well, sports drink and jelly babies. Banana and water, shower and breakfast after getting home, so now ready for the day:).

(Waterford is still a possibility;))

Tues - Hill Repeats, 2.74 miles, 9:13, HR 134

Short, sharp session on a hill with about 10% incline. Simply 6 x 400m with jog back recovery, added element was the wind was directly in my face.

First rep was to find my feet and get the breathing right but after that it was a full blowout. By the third rep I was hands-on-knees debating parting company with the remains of lunch but managed to keep it going. Max HR progressed from 145 to 152,154, 157, 158, 160 starting at around 120 each time. As my max HR is around 165-170 this represented a fairly max effort. Was absolutely shattered by the end, had thought of adding another rep but chickened out:o

Wed - Tempo, 5.62 miles, 7:49, HR 147

Plan was to do a tempo run but found the batteries were still severely depleted by the previous day's run, even though I struggled to hold any kind of pace I stuck it out for 4 miles, average 7:19, before calling it a day and jogging home the last piece.

Amazed, and a bit depressed, at how much Tuesday's run seemed to take out of me but maybe last night should have been just a recovery. Long day at work today so guaranteed a rest:).

slowsteady wrote: »

a bit depressed, at how much Tuesday's run seemed to take out of me but maybe last night should have been just a recovery. Long day at work today so guaranteed a rest:).

Def think you need to run a few easy runs. What with the 22 miler on Sunday :eek: then hill session yesterday you are putting in great work. No harm to have a couple of easy days. Go on, treat yourself :D

You're looking good for the Viking Marathon!

• Advertisement

Fri - 5k race, 21:00, 6:45, HR 155

This race is part of a couple of series I promised myself this summer (?:rolleyes:) so headed for Touraneena, a part of the world I had never visited before, and did a recce of the course as a warmup. A lovely evening with a light breeze, ideal running weather, brought out a large crowd so as the start was on a narrow road tried to position myself correctly without getting carried away.

The first quarter mile was downhill so there was little congestion as they got away smartly and the road widened out after that. The remainder of the first mile was on a gradually steepening incline (6:45) which continued on to the 2k marker. After that the course was broadly flat for the remainder of the second mile so I concentrated on keeping the legs turning over with the breathing close to max (am I the only one who seems to puff my way round a course because I never seem to hear anyone else sounding like a last century steam engine?). Finished that mile in 6:55 and then we got the downhill so kept up the cadence and gravity got me the third mile in 6:34. The final 0.1 was a sharp dip to a bridge over a stream follwed by a equally steep uphill and a final 70 yards to the finish. Did this a couple of times in warmup and was pleased to be able to finish strongly for 21:00 dead. Pleased, given the course, and more pleased to have done a clubmate who got me last week:D.

Legs were good and seem to have recovered from midweek.

Advertisement