Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Mon - Easy 4.71 miles, 8:05 pace, HR 124

Squeezed in before putting on the Dad's Taxi light.

Thurs - Tempo 5.5 miles, 7:21 pace, HR 140

Similar to Monday but Achilles felt very sore so hit the forefoot running and did a tempo run as a consequence.

Sat - Easy 8.61 miles, 8:20 pace, HR 133

Legs not great again but, as I was trying to decide if I would do a 5-mile or 8-mile loop at the junction, a couple of cars passed at the turn so I kept going - decisive, huh? Kept a comfortable pace and enjoyed the light shower just as I was winding up.

Sun - Steady 13.21 miles, 8:16 pace, HR 131

Stretched and worked on Achilles for rest of yesterday and they improved somewhat but still felt stiff during evening. Listening to the wind and rain rattling the windows this morning it was tempting to sink back under the covers but got up to find the legs pleaded to lie down again:P. Pulled on the gear before I weakened and got out the door.

As with all these things, getting out was half the challenge because after a mile or so I was enjoying the run, despite the showers. No real target in mind, legs didn't bother me much (for a change) so ambled around as the weather improved so that by the time I was finished it was a lovely day. No races for the next few weeks so maintaining aerobic fitness is the only aim.

Thurs - Easy, 5.23 miles, 9:03 pace, HR 121

Four days of idleness rest and, despite stretching reasonably dilligently, the legs felt stiff and awkward. Kept the pace as slow as I could but every time my attention drifted the pace rose.

Sat - Steady, 8.67 miles, 8:23 pace, HR 132

Wanted to keep this slow but the Achilles in both legs were giving out in a serious fashion so found myself leaning forward and forefoot running, so the pace naturally rose. The legs were as bad as I can remember and it took almost 4 miles before the emdorphins did their job and things became more comfortable. Part of the problem could be that I did some stretching before I went out, not the cleverest:o.

Funny weekend, at least half of those I know are off to Dublin, and even a couple of complete novices from work, while I'm just ambling around keeping up basic fitness and eating rubbish. Passed 1300 miles for the year today, struggled to hit the thousand any other year.

Good luck to everyone on Monday, hope the weather gods are kind for a few hours, whatever comes enjoy it:p.

Sun - Steady, 11.18 miles, 8:21 pace, HR 133

Not working to a target at the moment has me thinking these are all junk miles so I settled in to concentrating on my form for this run, trying to keep the stride rhythmic and efficient, lift the knees, etc, etc. Result was I found the run very tiring:confused:.

Got out early, just after the rain had ceased, wind was high and gusty but, a consolation for those running tomorrow, was only noticable for a few stretches and was behind me at times:).

Nice pleasant run, but very lonely. Where is everyone?:P

Mon - Steady, 8.69 miles, 7:58 pace, HR 140

Woke early, combination of wishing I was in Dublin and the body clock not reset to GMT:).

Instead of gales and floods was greeted by light breeze and balmy temperatures so pulled on the gear and went out for a mini-Marathon run to celebrate not having to go to work. By the time I was back the sun had joined the party and it promised a lovely day. Run done, showered and sitting down to breakfast before the 14,000 in Dublin had even warmed up:D.

Tue - Intervals, 5.64 miles, 7:34 pace, HR 154

Got out of work on time, for a change, and on the road home decided to squeeze in a quick run before it got too dark. By the time I was home and changed twighlight was beginning to kick in so rooted out the high-vis for the first time this autumn. Headed out for a steady run but decided this was a bit pointless so after the first mile injected some 400m intervals. Pushed on all the uphill sections and was happy with the legs although the right ITB was a bit niggly. By the time I was done it was pitch black.

Rural roads are fine in daylight but night-time dog walkers with pairs of dogs on extendable leads. rats terriers waiting in ambush, and, that speciality, potholes mean that I am going to have to revert to streetlights and pavements from now on. Still enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Nov - 104 steady miles...............
    Dec 103 steady miles.................

2014.......................3:29:xx.............:):):)

.....................I wish.......................

Time to get the show on the road for 2014.

Work swamped me for Nov/Dec, as it always does, so running took very much a back seat but I hung in there and managed 2/3 runs every week mainly at the weekends but there was no real purpose to any of it, more for stress release therapy than anything.

New Year arrived and with it the sudden realisation that there were only 15 weeks left to Boston. Hauled out the P&D book and jumped into the 55 mile programme, got in a 44 mile week as per plan. Finding it hard to get the training time between family, commuting and living in the country, have to travel to find street lights to run but we will give it a shot.

Coming off the back of a good year in 2013 I am finding the system is slow to get into gear at the moment, definitely the seasonal splurge clogging the arteries, so we will see how we go. John Treacy in 2 weeks will put down a marker of some sort.

New white runners (Asics GX 2000s) and 1000 mile socks for Christmas both christened/destroyed on a 10 mile run Tuesday last, but feel good:)

Tues - Threshold, 9.07 miles, 7:36 pace, HR 144

Plan called for 9 miles with 5 at HM pace. Dark, damp night after a long day but knuckled down and kicked off with 4 miles at around 8:05 pace When I stepped it up it felt hard but it always seems to feel harder in the dark (psychological?). Delighted to see it averaged sub-7:15 for the last 5, maybe I'm not as far away as I think I am.

Brought down to earth when got on the scales after a shower, put on 3lbs since New Year:eek:

Wed - Recovery, 5.64 miles, 8:28 pace, HR 131

Still find it hard to run at a proper recovery pace but was reasonably happy with this.

Thurs - Aerobic, 9.12 miles, 7:58 pace, HR 137

Rain shower finished just as I got to start my ring road loop and before the cold set in so enjoyed this. Probably run too fast (again) but will use the race next week to harden up a proper pace table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭PaulieC

slowsteady wrote: »
    Tues - Threshold, 9.07 miles, 7:36 pace, HR 144

Plan called for 9 miles with 5 at HM pace. Dark, damp night after a long day but knuckled down and kicked off with 4 miles at around 8:05 pace When I stepped it up it felt hard but it always seems to feel harder in the dark (psychological?). Delighted to see it averaged sub-7:15 for the last 5, maybe I'm not as far away as I think I am.

Brought down to earth when got on the scales after a shower, put on 3lbs since New Year:eek:

The weight is likely to have come from over the Christmas period. I saw the same myself. You know the cure, right ? :P

PaulieC wrote: »
    The weight is likely to have come from over the Christmas period. I saw the same myself. You know the cure, right ? :P
    More of the same?

Exercise, that is:)

What a week. Went out Sat morning for a 5 mile recovery, thought I would die, had a shower went to bed and spent the next three days commuting to the bathroom. Lost the Xmas puppy fat plus a few more in the process - Operation Transformation eat your heart out:p.

Skipped Wed and did a tentative 9 miles Thurs at 7:54 pace, felt OK but on fresh legs. Sat morning 5 miles recovery at 8:38 pace felt tougher. HR for each of the above was 130 for faster and 137 for slower run, figure that, but tied in to the feeling on the runs

John Treacy 10 Mile - 1:11:47, 7:11 pace

Went into this on the back of the above, original intention was to put a base line down for my training plan for Boston but seriously considered not doing it (especially when I saw the forecast:D). Arrived down with no idea how to approach it, wanted something between 70 and 75 minutes but didn't know how much the 4 days in bed had taken out of me. Met a clubmate on the line who said he was going for 72-73 minutes so followed him for the first mile.

By mile 2 we were being pelted with hailstones in the face and my earlier decision to leave leggings, hat and gloves nice and dry in the car was being severely criticised by most of my extremities. The only thing keeping me from bailing out was that I was 14:35 at the marker, better still, I was 21:43 at 3 miles when the weather eased, we had shelter from the wind and I could try and massage some feeling into fingers that I could see but not feel.

From here on I wanted to hit sub 7:30s so that I could beat my current PB of 74 dead which I knew was soft and the only one from 5k to marathon I missed last year. Mile 4 was 7:10, mile 5 7:19 so halfway in 36:12 - game on. I passed on the water at miles 3, 5 and 7.5, I find it breaks my rhythm and we were not really sweating much today:p.

The weather was now pleasant enough, ideal for running, and the group I was tracking seemed to be pacing well and the calling out of the time at the mile points has to be the single greatest advantage this race has over any other I have done. I was waiting for the legs to blow but 7:05, 7:06, 7:08 came and, while generally slightly downhill, were put in the bank. Mile 9 is a bit of a toughie, back out on the main road, but the wind was to our backs if anywhere and I mentally concentrated on keeping the quads on the edge while a few passed me but I kept them in sight and we were soon up on the 800 to go sign. Pushed for what was left, not a lot, to the finish and was delighted to come in in 7:11 and 6:57 for a nice 2 min PB.

I knew it was there but didn't think I could get it today, so a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great running in Dungarvan yesterday, especially after being sick! Well done, must be a nice boost for the rest of Boston training :)

Tues - Threshold Intervals, 8.24 miles, 7:45 pace, HR 136

Having skipped the two hard sessions last week due to illness needed to do a decent one today. This was a bit of an amalgam of the scheduled session for today and the one this day last week and ended up with 4 x 1k at threshold pace.

Felt reasonably recovered after Sunday and after a 2.5m warmup jumped into the first rep. Weather was good for a change and aside from being on concrete paths was an ideal afternoon. Times were 3:32, 3:39, 3:44 and 3.39 which were equally pleasing. After reps 2 and 3 I had a few twinges in my back, either a recognition of middle-age or, more likely (hopefully?:rolleyes:) the running on concrete. I put in a recovery mile after rep 3 to make sure the twinges remained just that but had no further issues. Good session.

Wed - Recovery, 5.18 miles, 8:04 pace, HR 125

Recovery? If I said the first mile was 7:29:confused:....uphill:eek:....you might begin to think this was not following the plan. My excuse shuch as it is is that I ran this to feel and even I was surprised at the times. Moving on quickly....

Thurs - Aerobic, 8.44 miles, 8:04 pace, HR 132

The more obeservant will note the identical pace in the two runs although the HR in the second one was higher, more hills, but closer to the planned session.

I wear glasses but not when running and pointless in dark drizzly conditions such as tonight, even at the best of times I find it difficult to read the watch while running so it is more for subsequent review. Mr Magoo at (slow) speed:)

Sat - Recovery, 5.66 miles, 8:06 pace, 136 HR

Woke up yesterday to the first day of Spring (?) to see hail showers rattling off the windows. Opted for breakfast over running gear, last Sunday being too fresh in the memory:P.

Monitored the runners friend - http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp - and saw a gap appear in the bands of showers marching across the country after a couple of hours so headed out. Caught a lovely window in the weather, while cool the breeze was light and the sun even made a brief appearance - you could even believe Spring was in fact not far away - a day running was made for:). Completed the run, enjoying it was my excuse (again:o) for the pace and the weather reverted to type for the rest of the day.

Sun -LSR, 17.45 miles, 8:30 pace, 131 HR

Much more benign morning, out before the dawn on an undulating route with some long drags towards the end. Pleased enough with the pace as little variation despite running by feel only, slowest mile being 8:42. Did the whole thing taking no water or food, good fat burner:).

Tues - Threshold, 8.67 miles, 7:56 pace, HR 135

Driving home Tues evening in a storm really didn't want to do this and argued the merits with myself but put on the gear and forced myself out the door. Stood around for 2 minutes (felt like forever) in the wind and icy rain while the Garmin found itself. First three miles were straight into the wind which was tough enough but it was the wind chill that was the challenge. It was when my core started to get very cold I thought I would have to bail out but fortunately I turned up a side road and there was a degree of shelter, but now my side started to go numb:p. I struggled big time with the pace in the gusts and when I finally turned for home the wind seemed to die somewhat but the rain still pelted down. The floods on the road didn't help and all in all it was a ridiculous night to be out but it is done now. Pace wasn't too impressive but happy to have done it.

Wed - Recovery, 2.92 miles, 8:40 pace, HR 132

Supposed to be 4 miles but legs felt weary so called this a day after one loop.

Thurs - Medium, 9.03 miles, 7:49 pace, HR 138

Late back from Dublin, very tired, had a quick 15 minute catnap:D in the car before went out for this run. Obviously worked because quite enjoyed this on a dry relatively still night, for a change. Kept the pace brisk but not too hard, some contrast to Tuesday for what felt like half the effort:P.

Sat - Recovery, 5.64 miles, 8:48 pace, HR 130

Drizzly morning but good conditions by recent standards, wasn't feeling great and found this a bit of a slog. Calves felt tight from the time I got out of bed and didn't improve during the run, helped keep the pace down to correct levels:).

Sun - LSR, 17.41 miles, 8:34 pace, HR 131

Legs were no better this morning so whole run felt stiff and awkward from the start. Grand morning again and normally look forward to these sessions but never got into the groove at all. Out the door on nothing but a drink of water and the energy levels didn't kick in at any point and seemed to run out completely at about 12 miles. Reality was that this run was no different to the same one last week and the only reason the pace fell away in the latter stages was the almost 6 mile continuous uphill so most of the issues were in my head.

Calves are sore/stiff so need to do some stretching work this week. Putting it down to the higher mileage so need to stick with it for a couple of weeks and it will come right - I hope.

Tues - Steady with Strides, 7.33 miles, 8:12 pace, HR 135

5 miles at 8min pace followed up with 6 x 100m strides with 30 sec recovery and mile and a half w/d. Enjoyed the strides as they loosened out the legs, if I could feel that relaxed during a full race I would be sorted:rolleyes:.

Wed - Medium, 12.77 miles, 8:24 pace, HR 130

Watched at work as the storm battered everything and worked water into every weak point in the buildings. Had begun to die down as I left for home but there were trees down everywhere so I stuck to the main roads and headed to town. 5.30pm and the worst was past so stuck to the plan, 12 mile medium run. First mistake, it was 7 degrees, left the gloves behind, following wind for first 4 miles and average pace of 8:05, all felt easy. Next 4 miles were a town loop largely sheltered, pace 8:10 except last uphill which fell back to 8:57:eek:.

Had an uneasy feeling starting that if the wind didn't drop the last 4 return miles could be tough - and so it proved. While not especially strong there was little shelter and it was now bitterly cold, but at least it was dry. I must have been very bad in a previous life because for the third time in just over a fortnight I was battered full on by an icy squall which passed as quick as it arrived but left me nice and wet. The wind stayed, so the heat loss became serious as I trudged back. To add to the cheery run all the street lighting had been knocked out so I was running on trust as the car lights were blinding me without shedding much light where it mattered. Dark thoughts invaded with the cold - 'What kind of a f***ing ejit was I out on a night like this?', last night the roads were full of runners but tonight I had done 10/11 miles and not met one - not even one!! Who was the loon, me or them? Finally one African guy, all in black, emerged from the darkness so I had the comfort of knowing there were at least two of us. Finally got back to the car, pace for last third 8:50, really dragged on the hills. Finished frozen, tired, grumpy but glad it was done. That changed when I found the kids sandpit out in the road before I even got home and broken tiles like confetti around the garden, more work, hope the rain holds off:(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just wondering if you are following plan SS?
    It's just that you throw in words like Recovery, steady, threshold into your runs but the pace and the HR barely vary. In fact some recovery runs are faster than steady runs and some threshold runs have a lower HR than recovery runs etc....

I think you need to vary the paces and intensities a lot more (have a puprose to each run). I would expect to have a HR of 30-40 bpm higher on a threshold run compared to a recovery run for example.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just wondering if you are following plan SS?
    Generally following P&D up to 55mpw, but life, 4 kids and an erratic job all conspire to make it difficult to follow exactly, hence 'generally'.

Live on a steep hill so HR for first couple of miles on any run tends to be very high (and run too fast) and skew the average, especially on shorter runs. That last threshold run was in a storm and even I looked at the HR on that one, it felt far harder.

Having said all that I know I run recovery too fast, HR should be no more than 125, but my achilles kick up at slower paces - will try harder:). Threshold should be 145-150, strides last night were 145, but averages are for full run.

Slow should be slower, fast faster - appreciate the point:p

Thurs - Threshold, 9.50 miles, 7:50 pace, HR 142

Two mile warmup, 6 miles at threshold, 1.5 mile warmdown.

Average for each section -pace, 8:23, 7:24, 8:45; HR, 139, 147, 129. Concious of Meno's comment on differentiating runs, kept the w/u and w/d very relaxed and picked it up in the middle, wanted to hit 7:15 for threshold but legs are not my friends at present and faded badly in the last two miles. Not fully acclimatised to current weekly mileage but will persist.

Lovely afternoon, pity I spent most of it securing ridge tiles at home, what is left of them, ahead of tomorrow's weather instalment. Builders merchants out of stock for some reason:eek:.

Novel communications were needed at work today, no landlines, no Vodafone, O2 or 3 mobile, no faxes, e-mails or internet. Had our own generator but nothing outside the fence was working. Reduced to getting in the car and knocking on doors to talk to people, novel but nice:p.

Sat - Recovery, 5.65 miles, 8:53 pace, HR 124

Out early enough as had to do fuller repairs on roof. Funny how when you have a full day to do something it takes all day. Nice dry day, ideal.

Sun - LSR, 15.90 miles, 8:11 pace, HR 137

Dilemma this weekend as there were two 5 mile races I did last year but both were on this weekend Sat and Sun. Being only marginally sensible, I decided to do one only, even though the plan called for a 20 mile LSR:p.

Felt sore in all the unused muscles brought into action yesterday, but pleasantly sore, so no real issue. Did a 2 mile warm up, managing to avoid the freezing rain showers that soaked those who tried to warm up early.

Kilmacthomas 5 Mile, 34:31, HR 152

Planned to do more after the race so there may have been some sub-concious holding back but not intentionally. Held back on downhill first mile, 6:31, because second was uphill, 7:17 (no truth in the rumour I thought this was a one mile sprint:rolleyes:). Happy enough with mile 2 as could feel the training in the legs, had a settled group ahead of me and could hear no one on my neck so tracked this group from here to the finish. Kept the pace/effort high without going into the red. Was passed by two others at mile 3, but got one other back. Into the last mile there was a sharp little uphill I walked a couple of years ago, this time finished strong and got back another place so kept overall position - which for me is an achievement. Not a great time but an undulating route, course PB so will settle for that.

Headed back into town, munching a Powerbar, and before thinking too much headed out again at LSR pace. Hilly route, first 2 miles uphill, so took it steady and only gradually took up the pace to 8:30 as run progressed, slowing again on the hills. Thought about bringing run for the day up to 20 miles but sense prevailed as the legs were very tired by the end so knocked it on the head, 9 miles, 8:50 pace, HR 127.

Tue - MLR, 12.76 miles, 8:16 pace, HR 129

Achilles have been very tender all week so mixing races with LSRs may not be the best recipe (have to give the 10k this weekend a miss so:().

Did this run under duress, my legs didn't want to, I didn't want to, but guilt got me out:).

Wed - VO2 Max, 7.61 miles, 7:30 pace, HR 130

Soft Irish day, TG. Heavy drizzle (p*ssing down), felt even less like doing this, miserable evening but after a 2 mile w/u was as wet as I could be so got on with 6 x 1km with 90 sec recovery. Did them at 6:30, HR 151/153, which given the way I was feeling wasn't too bad. Actually enjoyed the 1 mile w/d with the wind/rain up my a*$e behind.

Thur - Recovery, 5.64 miles, 8:45 pace, HR 122

Got out of work sharpish and managed to do this before total darkness had descended. Lovely evening, could still feel the stiffness in the achilles but were easing out over this run.

Text when I got home to say broadband is back at work - after only 8 days. Life may not be too bad after all:P.

Sat - Recovery, 5.67 miles, 8:42 pace, HR 127

Recovery back-to-back with Thurs, didn't question it as the legs needed a rest; easy run in the bright early morning.

Sun - LSR, 20 miles, 8:49 pace, HR 131

Forecast was wet n' wild and when alarm went off this morning could hear the wind howling. After a few minutes of mental debate hauled the ass out of bed and got on with it, museli bar, drink of water and off I went. Sounded worse than it was, only a light drizzle, so it took 3 or 4 miles to get soaked rather than the usual 3/400 yards:p, by which time was well warmed up so it didn't bother me.

Had planned to add an extra loop to my 16 miler to bring up the distance but after 1 mile simply turned back as the wind was that strong and had no appetite for another 3 in the same vein. Later on passed over a motorway bridge with the wind hitting in sideways. Having clipped one ankle a couple of times, widened the stride (a là, a duck) but still managed to hit the ankle another couple of times before I got back to some kind of shelter (still sore now). Consolation was that temperatures were very mild so comfortable despite wind and rain.

First half was generally into the wind so that kept the pace steady enough at around 8:45 and held on for the second half which is much the hillier section. Took a gel at 14 miles which possibly helped avoid the batteries running out. Ended up at 19.3 miles so did lots of needless milling around to bring it up to the round 20. Happy enough and, needless to say, rain stopped 10 minutes after I got in the door. Good run and compression socks for the rest of the day seemed to help.

Tues - Steady with strides, 7.89 miles, 8:14 pace, HR 129

Forgot to check this session before heading to work, couldn't remember if it was recovery or threshold, reckoned the former but hit down the middle with a steady run at 8:10 pace with 6 x 100 strides put in at around 5 miles. 9 degrees in the car so set off without hat, gloves or leggings, about 10 minutes after the sun set the temperature followed it - will I ever learn?:D

Wed - Lactate with 7 at HMP, 11.16 miles, 7:51 pace, HR 136

Two mile warm-up followed by 7 at 7:27 pace, 2 miles to follow. My HMP is 7:15 but not at that level at present and with it being a Winnie-the-Pooh type blustery day with an Irish twist (i.e. wet) I set out hoping for something south of 7:30 so pleased enough. Legs are always stiff to start and keep promising myself a bit of physio but never get organised enough to book it. Generally happy enough, getting used to the lift in mileage (famous last words?).

Fri - Threshold, 10.37 miles, 7:36 pace, HR 140

The plan said this was to be a 12 mile medium run but a delay in getting out of work and an immoveable taxi deadline for the women (oh! to be young and single - well, young anyway:rolleyes:) meant I didn't have enough time for this so a quick mental calculation meant I could get in 10/11 miles at pace so opted for this instead. Two five mile laps on a lovely evening with a nifty 7:20 mile to finish, fairly wrecked the legs, but in a nice way:P.

Sat - Recovery, 5.63 miles, 9:02 pace, HR 123

Very easy run on tired legs ahead of Sunday, felt hard, seriously don't like these runs, just can't seem to get to the rhythm of them at all.

Sun - LSR, 20 miles, 8:27 pace, HR 132

Out at first light as parental duties required me back by mid-morning, this had the additional benefit of getting me back before the rain came down in earnest. Energy-wise, a quick breakfast of banana, muesli bar and water and two gels at 8 and 15 miles seemed to do the job. Started out at 8:20 to 8:30 paced miles and despite Friday's minor thrashing the legs felt fairly good. Unlike this time last week there was no gale so was able to keep to a flatter circuit and the miles remained consistent all the way to the last couple, which are uphill anyway, so a good one.

Had been dreading this group of sessions but very happy now they are done, need to find a race next weekend now.

Going back to the first post in this log where I said this log should be titled 'How not to train for a marathon' - I haven't learned much. Those looking for a good training post - hit Alt & Back Arrow now (and here's hoping Meno is not looking in:o)

Tues - VO2 Max, 8.67 miles, 7:33 pace, HR 143

Under time pressure, so a brisk 3 mile warm-up was followed with the 5 x 800m with 3 min rest, the last four of which were at 6:45, 6:46, 6:38 and 6:47 pace, which was close to 6:50 target. However the first rep was started without any real thought and was done at 5:45:eek:, it was when the lactate poured in at around 600m I woke up to what I was doing. By that stage the damage was done, both legs and lungs burning, so finishing out the session was more self punishment for being so $$$$ stupid. HR pushed up to low 160s on each rep so effort was there.

Wed - Medium run, 12 miles, 8:17 pace, HR 131

After yesterday this was much more disciplined from the start. Got out before the sun disappeared and was finished just as the rain came pelting down, so all is good:).

Legs are fine after the couple of days, but looking for new lungs on E-bay at present. Amazing what stress can be generated on the system in a 600m headless-chicken dash - just as well I never smoked;).

• Advertisement

Fri - Recovery with Strides, 5.64 miles, 9:15 pace, HR 128

Failed at this! How does one fail on a recovery run? Got home from work and geared up, used the facilities, rolled out the door. Plan was to do 2/3 miles easy, then the strides and finish off with easy miles. During the second mile the stomach gave a few growls which I ignored but they persisted and became more insistent, by mile 3 I was getting an odd spasm suggesting a loo stop was urgently needed. As might be guessed, short of knocking on a complete stranger's door, there was little option but to keep going and hope to make home, which I did, just:P - but it was close:eek:. Needless to say the strides were skipped:p.

Sat - Threshold, 10.34 miles, 7:49 pace, HR 136

Plan said a 10-mile race but, as Ballycotton was full about 10 seconds after it opened, I substituted a threshold run aiming for around 7:35 pace. The weather gods were against me as it was blowing a mini-gale and in combination with my previous evening experience I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Right from mile 1 the legs seemed to have nothing to give and by mile 3 I was seriously thinking of throwing in the towel but fortunately I turned out of the wind for a while and got the head sorted. Settled down to finish out the run as best I could and was happy enough in the end. Disappointed to see the HR that low, it honestly felt much harder:confused:.

Sun - LSR, 17.91 miles, 8:30 pace, HR 125

Sunny south-east how are you, Met Eireann suggested dry and sunny, reality - dull, misty, heavy drizzle, but warm enough, Spring is sprung? Plan was to do the first 10 miles at 9 min and finish off at MP. Legs felt easy and relaxed for the first few miles, which made a pleasant change, kept having to check the pace as it was inclined to pick up, averaged 8:51 for first section. Picked up the pace from mile 11 and averaged 8:09 for the rest of the run, which given some of it was uphill was grand. Legs are tired with the heavy (for me:rolleyes:) mileage but hoping to keep it up - only 6 weeks tomorrow!!:eek:.

Advertisement