Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hey SS, haven't really been reading logs lately. Congrats on the PB in Longford and sorry to hear about your mum. Makes the pb so much more brilliant and special.

Whats the goal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Hey SS, haven't really been reading logs lately. Congrats on the PB in Longford and sorry to hear about your mum. Makes the pb so much more brilliant and special.

Whats the goal now?
    Thanks for that.

Target is the half in Athlone, 1:36:52, pity the poor partner but we love a challenge:p. Avoid embarrassment is main aim.

Tue - Tempo, 5.71 miles, 7:32, HR 141

Started out with an easy run in mind but decided after the first mile to concentrate on running form so picked up the legs (and pace). Kept up the focus on form so inevitably the pace and effort climbed as I hit the hills for the final couple of miles. Pleased that I kept it together all the way to the end but the legs were shot for the rest of the night and today. Supposed to do a recovery run today but might run out of time.

Fri - Steady, 8.67 miles, 7:49, HR 144

Missed my recovery on Wed and didn't get out Thurs either, finally hit the road after work yesterday evening but under time pressure. No real warmup but took first couple of miles easy as achilles was stiff and sore from too much sitting around past few days. Aim was to hit 8min miles and did this but the effort seemed high even allowing for the net uphill. Legs like pokers for rest of the evening.

Sat - Recovery, 3.03 miles, 8:55, HR 119

Legs still stiff this morning so jogged around short loop to loosen them out, worked a treat:)

Cill Barra 6k, 24:09, 6:29 pace, HR 151

Following my just run for fun and enjoy it philosophy this year I decided to run this local race as it was its first running and there was no soccer on the telly (after last night would anyone be interested anyway:rolleyes:).

Usual style, gun goes and so do I, first mile in 6:09 but rest in 6:44 all the way to the finish. Good fun run on a flat course with rain and cool breeze - welcome Autumn:).

Unofficially beat my 5k PB along the way but whether I should be doing this one week before the smackdown in Athlone is doubtful. Calves are sore enough so undid all the good from this morning:o.

• Advertisement

Sun - Recovery, 5.93 miles, 8:38 pace, HR 137

Two t-shirts this morning, no messing around as I was taking the first miles very easy. Ambled around the rest at about 8:20 pace, legs are surviving.

Mon - Steady, 5.54 miles, 7:39 pace, HR 146

Collecting one of the kids after work so decided to stick in a progressive run, intended to do more but ran out of time. Very warm and blustery and done in town - I hate pavements - give me the boreens in Athlone on Sat;).

Started out steadily at 8:06 but gradually stepped it up to do last mile at 6:59 with half mile cooldown. Last hard run before the weekend as mini-taper starting, head says I am well able for target but have my doubts (taper madness already?:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Jezz you are in flying form :D Congrats on the Cill Bara run, and the very best of luck on Saturday in Athlone and another pb!

RubyK wrote: »
    Jezz you are in flying form :D Congrats on the Cill Bara run, and the very best of luck on Saturday in Athlone and another pb!
    Thanks Ruby, in a good running groove at present, have my doubts about Sat but the potential embarrassment of having a bunch of Boardies all looking at their watches on the finish line might keep me going:).

Thurs - Steady, 5.7 miles, 7:46 pace, HR 135

Didn't get out either Tues or Wed as planned so ended up running this at a slightly higher than planned (8:00) pace, happy with the HR. Kept it comfortable but would have liked to have had another easy session before Sat, need to look at the positive and consider what the rest is doing for my legs:rolleyes:.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Thanks Ruby, in a good running groove at present, have my doubts about Sat but the potential embarrassment of having a bunch of Boardies all looking at their watches on the finish line might keep me going:).

Will be no bother to you slowsteady! You're in super form, so there is no place for doubts :) Looking forward to reading all about it.

• Advertisement

Flatline Athlone Half Marathon, 1:34:54, 7:14 pace, HR 153

Said at the start of the summer the aim was to just enjoy my running and train as opportunity and races came up. Picked this race for two reasons, it is flat and it passes the front door of my grandmother's birthplace - how could you resist:).

When the Boards competition got going I had to pick a target time and went for just shy of 1:37 as it was 2 min better than my old PB and with Longford only 20 days ago I didn't want to go too close to the wire, PB'd in Longford by 2 min so it seemed reasonable. Recovery from Longford has been good and the 5 miles at planned HMP as part of the 10-miler 2 weeks ago boded well but not the missed runs this week. Drove up the 2 hours this morning and went off for a couple of miles to get the stiffness out of the legs, good to meet RunForestRun, a lean machine next to me:p.

Had decided on the way up to line up with the 1:35 pacers, with that as an 'A' goal in the hope that 1:37 would serve as the 'B' goal and any PB as a 'C' goal:rolleyes:.

Preliminaries were perfect as once we started we passed almost no one and very few passed us, a rare event in any race. The first couple of miles passed uneventfully but then Tick-Tock moved up in front of me just behind the pacers. I read that someone had a metronome going in the Phoenix Park recently, well he came down to Athlone, initially I found it intensely annoying but zoned it out after a mile or two - why do this if you are going to track the pacers? Imagine if 20 people all did the same?

Picked up water at 3 miles and had my own gel at 5 but around here I dropped off the pacing group by about 10 yards. This was not a bad thing, no Tick-Tock, but I had to work from here to keep it to that. Gradually the gap opened to 20 yards by 8 miles and I was thinking Plan B was now in the frame. The pacers were great one guy in particular kept everyone supplied with drinks and gels, after disappearing up a side road after the mile mark for a comfort break:D.

When we turned back on to the old Galway road I picked up my form and tried to limit the damage by more efficient running and it seemed to help as by the time we turned off again, a couple of miles later, I was still only 20 yards in arrears. I passed Tick-Tock along here and promised myself I would sprint rather than listen to him pass me again:).

Down the Bog Road I caught up with the group at around 10 miles but just around 12 I got a quick dart of cramp in my left calf, I backed off immediately and over the next mile I only got a couple more small jabs. I lost perhaps 20 yards over this mile and as we started mile 13 and the pacers started to send the group on I got a sharper jab of cramp in the right calf. Now with both calves intermittently seizing the task was to keep going at a pace that would not trigger a major spasm. One of the pacers came back to me early in the mile and then dropped back to encourage/shout at others behind me.

By this stage I had sub-1:35 in my head and as I didn't know how much we had in hand I pushed the limits a few times but had to back off as the spasms got more severe. Meanwhile the pacer was getting more enthusiastic and tried to get those of us left to sprint the last quarter mile.In the end the last 0.1 was no better pace-wise than the rest of the race but the effort was maximal and the HR peaked. Running up the stretch I was disappointed to see 1:35:16 on the timer but given the circumstances it was a valiant effort. After I had had a couple of minutes to revive and looked at my watch I remembered we had taken some time to get over the start line so I was hoping it would be enough - 6 seconds - delighted. The first time I had hit an 'A' target since my very first marathon so doubly pleased.

Completely wrecked at the finish, nothing at all in the tank, but with 5-mile, 10k, marathon and now a half-mara PB all in 6 weeks how can anyone complain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super running well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well done yesterday slowsteady, great execution of the race and was very nice meeting you.

Tues - Tempo, 4.35 miles, 7:07 pace, HR 148

Rested Sunday and didn't get out Monday so was happy to get out yesterday evening, legs had been good after being a bit stiff on Sat.

Had planned to go out at an easy pace but as legs felt good wound it up from a 7:30 for the first mile to steady a 7:00 for the rest. Was doing 1k laps of the local park and had planned to do 5 miles but when a heavy shower started on towards the end I wussed out on the last lap:o.

Thurs - Tempo, 6.0 miles, 7:38 pace, HR 146

Squeezed this in between work and picking up one of the kids. Ran around town which is something I'm not particularly keen on, too much distraction/concentration required with pedestrians/traffic/pavements/junctions etc to deal with. Nice sunny autumn evening but very blustery with a strong breeze and a hilly course. Found it hard to get a rhythm going and while not intended to be an all out session the heart rate showed it to be tougher than it should have been. Knees and ankles aching this morning:(.

For the first time since the Spring have no races I am minded to do in the coming weeks so at a bit of a loss what to train for:confused:.

Yesterday's news was a reminder of how close we are to tragedy in our lives and how we should enjoy our time while we have it. RIP.

Fri - Recovery 5.93 miles, 8:26 pace, HR 136

Decided to make this an easy run based on heart rate as I have often read others basing their training on this, what I forgot was that I use a Garmin and the HR readings are, shall we say, less than useless:(. Went out very easy for the first mile and found my HR never dropped below 178, which, given that my max HR is about 168, should have had me in ER. This continued till near the end of mile 2, at which point it appeared to revert to something near reality, by dropping about 50 beats. It steadied at around 122 to 127 till the final mile, which was uphill, so it rose to reflect this by averaging 142. If I was to train on effort based on HR I would need something a bit better than what I have - lesson learned.

Sun - Steady 13.14 miles, 8:07 pace, HR 130

The day promised to be good so decided to get up early for a run. But what to do? Will probably do the Waterford half in Dec so decided to run the route, after all LSRs are what you do on a weekend, right? (forgetting you ran one flat out last weekend:)). If I forgot my legs reminded me as the first few miles felt tougher than they should have and, just to prove how mad the Garmin HR strap is, it logged the first mile at 109 for much the same pace, 70 beats different from Fri:confused:.

It was a fantastic morning to be out as the sun rose and warmed the cockles of my heart......(enough of that:o). Once I settled into the run the pace lifted and steadied around the 8:00 pace but remained fairly relaxed through to the end.

The route is fairly undulating with not a lot of truly flat road but very little in the way of hills either, drags yes, but nothing you would call a hill. Some nice downhills to balance it all up. PB course? not sure, but then I was in Athlone last week so not a fair comparison.

Tue - Easy, 5.99 miles, 8:24 pace, HR 131

Took it fairly easy but found it hard work, legs felt heavy.

Thur - Intervals, 5.13 miles, 7:38 pace, HR 136

Did this under time pressure, which was not a good start. Warm-up for a mile and then 10 x 200s with 200m jogs between, felt hard but then that was the idea, mile warm-down.

Fri - Easy, 8.69 miles, 8:26 pace, HR 122

Legs were really feeling previous night so went out very steady for this. Despite that achilles and calves felt like bars of iron and heels got painful so that I ended up running with an exaggerated forefoot strike to ease the pain - legs felt like s**t for next 24 hours so probably did more harm than good.

Sun - Easy, 10.43 miles, 8:36 pace, HR 119

Legs were horrible yesterday, despite all the stretching, so today's planned half was cut back to an easy 10. Put on the i-pod, dis-engaged the brain and never looked at the Garmin once. Result was all times between 8:24 and 8:39 despite it being an undulating lap. Legs feel much easier after that:)

Mentioned recently I have no real targets at the moment - well I have now - off to Boston next April:p. Missed out on London this week.....but do I care....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

off to Boston next April:p. Missed out on London this week.....but do I care....

Nice one :D Congrats

No running since last weekend, busy at work, poor weather, evenings drawing in, but the real killer - no races. Maybe it is just me, but without a target I seem to find it hard to motivate myself.

Theory is that I need some downtime after what has been a very good summer but the legs don't seem to see it that way, calves and feet are achy and the two achilles like rods of iron and painful all the time, even when sitting down.

Sat - Easy, 8.67 miles, 8:30 pace, HR 137

Went out for this with stiff legs and the first mile, which is downhill, just seemed to aggravate this with severe pain from trying to keep the brakes on and consequently sitting back on my heels. Loosened up a bit on the flat but the whole run was less than comfortable, unless I ran on my toes, which upped the pace.

Sun - Easy, 13.9 miles, 8:34 pace, HR 126

Thought about yesterday's run afterwards and wondered whether my runners are knackered but a quick check showed no visible wear and only 370 miles on the clock. Decided to run in an old pair to see if it made any noticable difference.

Preparation included clearing most of a bottle of wine last night, eating pizza and watching Munster so the system required proper fuelling before setting out this morning, cereal, banana and water (lots:o). Intention was to go out at about 9 min pace and step it up for the last 3 or 4 but the pains in the Achilles made it easier to run with a more forefoot strike at around 8:30 - 8:40 (I haven't mastered forefoot strike at slow pace at all:confused:, there must be some technique to this? Suggestions welcome).

Despite it being very dull and overcast at 7am, I found it very warm and realised I should have used more Vaseline than I had on:eek: but pressed on and upped the pace for the last four miles to 7:35 pace, not as good as I would have liked but the way my legs are, good enough.

There is a charity 10 mile in town next weekend so might have a go at that.

Tues - 5 miles, 6:58 pace, HR 155

Had a very stressful couple of days which only got worse this morning so squeezed this in at lunchtime under pressure to get to work.

Hammered out the first mile in sub-6 :eek::eek: but it will not count as a PB because, a bit like Geoffrey Mutai, it was a net downhill on a non-qualifying course:p. Having got some of the stress out of the system settled down to a tough enough tempo run.

Legs were stuffed afterwards but no problems with the Achilles as was on the front foot the whole way round:).

• Advertisement

Congrats on getting a place in Boston! Well earned :) Are you doing the Solas run on Sunday?

Congrats on getting a place in Boston! Well earned :) Are you doing the Solas run on Sunday?
    That's the plan anyway, collected a few quid on their behalf so need to fulfill my side of the deal.

Didn't do it last year and notice they are not doing the full ring road as in 2011 so it is a lot flatter, Willamstown being the only real hill?

That's the plan anyway, collected a few quid on their behalf so need to fulfill my side of the deal.

Didn't do it last year and notice they are not doing the full ring road as in 2011 so it is a lot flatter, Willamstown being the only real hill?

Yep, they have taken out the motor mile and the ring road as far as Ballindud. Will be no bother to you! Weather looks to be ideal for it, enjoy!! :D

Yep, they have taken out the motor mile and the ring road as far as Ballindud. Will be no bother to you! Weather looks to be ideal for it, enjoy!! :D
    You out as well?

You out as well?

No, I'm minding myself for DCM :)

Thurs - Recovery, 5.79 miles, 7:54 pace, HR 139

Went out for a relaxed run in the evening sunshine, cool autumn temperatures, just running for running sake.......:)

Fri - Hill Repeats, 3.02 miles, 9:08 pace, HR 140

Been using a pair of old runners all week to try and see if it would improve the Achilles issues, still not sure. Didn't feel like churning miles for this so hopped out the door and did 6 x 400 hill repeats on my own hill, pushed the HR from 150 to 160 peaks so happy with that.

Sun - 9.7 mile race, 7:01 pace, HR 155

Supposed to be a 10 miler but flagged on Facebook last night as being short, for charity so fair enough. Planned to go out at sub-7 pace with the intention of beating 7:10 overall, started steadily rather than my usual headless chicken approach:p. Settled down in the right position after about 2 miles as from here to the finish passed more than passed me, always good:).

On the hills (drags) felt Friday's workout but kept up the tempo and was able to close on those ahead, so some of the effort is paying off. Had forgotten about the hill/drag back up to the hospital at mile 8 which came as a shock but was able to stretch the legs for the final mile. Pity it wasn't the full 10 miles as it would have been another PB, two Achilles are like pokers again despite stretching all day:(.

Sun - 9.7 mile race, 7:01 pace, HR 155

Supposed to be a 10 miler but flagged on Facebook last night as being short, for charity so fair enough. Planned to go out at sub-7 pace with the intention of beating 7:10 overall, started steadily rather than my usual headless chicken approach:p. Settled down in the right position after about 2 miles as from here to the finish passed more than passed me, always good:).

On the hills (drags) felt Friday's workout but kept up the tempo and was able to close on those ahead, so some of the effort is paying off. Had forgotten about the hill/drag back up to the hospital at mile 8 which came as a shock but was able to stretch the legs for the final mile. Pity it wasn't the full 10 miles as it would have been another PB, two Achilles are like pokers again despite stretching all day:(.

Well done yesterday, that's brilliant running on what is a tough enough course! Tbh, I thought after it being short last year, I though it would def be the full 10 this time round (though I know it for a brilliant cause, and most people wouldn't care it was short). I was going to mention that stretch from Oscars to the hospital in my last post, but decided not too :D It's a deceptive drag. Well done again, hope the achilles setlle down for you.

Well done yesterday, that's brilliant running on what is a tough enough course! Tbh, I thought after it being short last year, I though it would def be the full 10 this time round (though I know it for a brilliant cause, and most people wouldn't care it was short). I was going to mention that stretch from Oscars to the hospital in my last post, but decided not too :D It's a deceptive drag. Well done again, hope the achilles setlle down for you.
    Thanks. I remembered that stretch as we were coming up to Ballygunner so I kept a bit in reserve but it was still tough enough. Achilles feel much better today - but need to keep up the stretching.

How is training for DCM going - you must be into taper time now?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I remembered that stretch as we were coming up to Ballygunner so I kept a bit in reserve but it was still tough enough. Achilles feel much better today - but need to keep up the stretching.

How is training for DCM going - you must be into taper time now?

That's good, keep up the stretching!

Training has gone ok, all long runs done now, and the mind games have begun :eek: :)

Advertisement