Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

LSR, 18 miles, 8:05 pace

Went out with the intention of doing MP mileage (8:00) as part of the run but the legs were not the best after yesterday.

Lovely sunny day but a strong wind in our faces for most of the first half of the run. Despite that felt OK and decided to move over from the 8:30 pace group to the 8:00 group early on so headed away on my own, after 4 miles uphill and into the wind had made precisely 100 yards on the 8:30 group:o. Fortunately the next few miles were downhill and partially sheltered so was able to stick in a few sub 7:45 miles and closed up on the 8:00 group as we got to the turn home.

Here my whole marathon plan nearly hit the rocks, or a hole in the road to be accurate, I was taking a drink so missed my foot hitting a poorly filled in roadwork and my right ankle turned. Fortunately I went with it but hopped the next few steps before getting back vertical. Ran very gingerly for the next couple of miles but there seemed to be no serious damage. The group split up over the final few miles and I was not able to stay with them but as the last 4 miles averaged 7:55 I was happy enough with the day.

Despite some TLC during the day the ankle is throbbing nicely as I write this so a couple of days recovery is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great LSR and pace especially in that wind slowsteady. Wicked unlucky though to have that mishap with the pothole. Fingers crossed a couple of days rest and icing will fix it.

Recovery 5.3 miles, 8:46 pace

After the bit of 'pot-holing' on Sunday the ankle was very tender yesterday but a couple of doses of Nurofen Plus numbed the pain and hopefully took down any inflammation. Seemed to work as today it gave little bother at work.

Went out with a 'try it and see' attitude this evening. No problem for the first half mile, in fact, no real problem with the ankle at all apart from some residual soreness which I can still feel typing this. The issue was with the right calf muscle which I'd say took the brunt of the stress along with the ankle ligaments. Now it wasn't too bad but I'd hate to have been pushing it greatly.

Hopefully another couple of days rest and I can count myself lucky to have got away with it;)

Cheetah Run 4 miles plus 3 w/up

48 hours on and ankle seemed to have settled down leaving the usual niggles to bother me during the warmup.

Was down around Cork yesterday evening with work, good management:p, so got to Fota in plenty of time to take a couple of easy turns around the park beforehand. Is a great opportunity for anyone to bring the family for a free visit, not even a parking charge; in terms of a value-for-money race it must be the best in the country from that point of view.

Lined up around the 30 minute section as was not too sure how competitive the race would be and didn't want to be too presumptuous;).

From the off wanted to be around the 7:00 to 7:10 range and it was apparent I had started a bit too far back as spent most of the first mile zig-zagging through the traffic. Continued to pass others steadily for the next couple of miles and only a few did the same to me. As we got to the 3rd mile I knew a PB was not going to happen but stuck to the task.

For the next half mile I was behind 2 runners having a chat, and I mean a full-blown conversation, here was I struggling for breath and they were out for a Sunday stroll:o. To add to the embarrassment I was passed on the run-in by a 15 year old, cruising again, and finished with a 28:52 in a less than happy mood, seriously lack any finishing speed.

Overall, disappointed with the performance but not bad considering I do no speedwork so in fairness what can I expect. Fabulous setting for the race, watching the cheetahs running along the inside of the cage, tracking dinner, and the emus curiosity as we passed by. Organisation was A1, food was A1, race was A1, glad I went down. Learnt the obvious, I need to put in a few intervals if I want to improve in these type of races.

Steady 5.3 miles, 7:57 pace

Went out this morning after watching Katie Taylor show what total dedication can achieve. With tomorrow's LSR in mind didn't want to do too much today but wanted to put in a few strides during the run.

Nearly went back in to add another top but decided that while the temperature was cold it would warm up after a few miles. True to form with the breeze in my face it took 2 miles to warm up enough to start the strides, eased into each and banged out 5 lots over the next couple of miles. Last mile and half is a steady rise but pushed it out without going mad. Result was one of the fastest I have done this particular loop, due to the strides.

By the time I was finished the sweat was pouring off me, need to watch hydration tomorrow - is summer coming?:)

• Advertisement

LSR 22.7 miles, 9:16 pace

Pushed yesterday's run a bit as I wanted to limit my options on running fast today, 8:15 and 8:05 paces are too fast where I am coming from.

The group run was to be 20 miles so turned up early and did a couple of easy miles as I wanted to do 22. While waiting for the proper start met a fellow parent who was going out 'to see' if he would sign up so we tagged along together for the first 12 miles at a steady 9:30. I found this hard to do so the company was good. To make up the mileage we were to do two laps around the streets of Tramore which I knew would be phycologically very hard for most people so I ended up on my own for the last 8 miles.

Once I was on my own I stepped up the pace and averaged 8:45 for the trip home. Was a little disappointed that I didn't pick it up a bit more but as I got tired I could feel the damage I did to my ankle last week coming back to niggle - the heat and the sun on the back of my neck might have had something to do with it:). Memo to self - put sunblock in the car - summer is coming:p.

Steady 5.3 miles, 8:08 pace

After LSR legs felt surprisingly OK but yesterday evening had a niggle in the upper calf so was going to make this a recovery run so as not to cause further agravation. However after a mile it seemed fine so stepped up the pace, ball of sweat by the end:p.

Sunny south-east how are you? Been misty/drizzly for past 48 hours, no different this morning, some sunshine please:).

Steady 8.3 miles, 8:05 pace

'There was an old runner who swallowed a fly. I don't know why he swallowed a fly, Perhaps he'll die....'

There I was running along minding my own business when a large fly (felt huge:p) decided to go on a suicide mission - straight in, down my throat and fortunately got caught at the top of the windpipe. Half a minute of choking and retching before I decided I might live after all:).

Other than that a steady enough run into which I stuck half a dozen strides to stretch the legs. Continuing to concentrate on maintaining more of a mid-foot strike which seems to be working as I am having less trouble with my achilles than previously.

Training sounds like it's going well slowsteady! Glad the achilles is behaving itself.

RubyK wrote: »
    Training sounds like it's going well slowsteady! Glad the achilles is behaving itself.
    Happy enough but want to see how Cork goes first.

Hill Repeats 2.3 miles, 10:42 pace

Soreness on the sole of left foot the evening after Wed run and still there yesterday. Felt like something pulled so decided to do something less stressful (on the foot:)).

Had to pick the kids up from school (another half day) so did this in the blazing heat at 1pm. 50 metre rise over third of a mile, doesn't sound so bad till you do it. Did 5 repeats with recovery on downhill, gradually upped the effort with HR at 141, 145, 147, 152, 152. 25 minutes and by the time I was finished I was wrecked. Good session, no reaction from foot.

Recovery 6.9 miles, 9:20 pace

Out early this morning into a coastal breeze, felt like gale 3 or 4, and we are 15 miles from the coast - but it was warm:p.

Legs knew all about yesterday, today was hilly enough as well, 1,000ft, but easy enough at relaxed pace. Still a bit concerned about foot, throbbing nicely as I type, ice and TLC I think.

• Advertisement

LSR 19.6 miles, 8:44 pace

Plan was to do this at 8:30 pace but was prepared to adapt to the conditions - which were warm:p.

The group I was with worked away at 8:30 for the first 8 miles but as individuals began to tire the pace dropped and we were back to sub-9 up to mile 14. During this section my left achilles ached and I thought I would have to pull up and when one guy ran out of steam I held back to try and pace him along. We walk/ran for a couple of miles but at a water stop he called it a day and I headed off alone. With no company I upped the pace and put in the last 3 miles at MP despite the heat so was very happy with the run. Achilles was fine for last leg, obviously with the the slower pace I tend to heel-strike more so the solution is - run faster!!

Just noticed the P&D plan said 18 miles today, with 14 miles at MP, so 3 doesn't sound so good now. Taper for Cork half is my excuse!!

Tempo(ish) 6.7 miles, 8:02 pace

Didn't get out the past couple of days due to study commitments (on behalf of the kids - my study days are long gone:rolleyes:) but was not that bothered as supposed to be tapering anyway.

Did this yesterday evening under pressure and made the novice mistake of going out too fast, uphill, in the heat, and suffered the rest of the way as a consequence. Copped on after first mile and settled down for what was more of a fartlek-type run in the end. Hope the weather cools off before Monday.

Recovery 6 miles, 8:36 pace

Straightforward recovery after previous evening, concentrated on keeping form good and knee-lifts high, added a few strides at the end. Wind down to Monday from here on, had pasta for past few evenings so already in taper mode:p.

Best of luck on Monday slowsteady, I'm sure you'll run a cracker!!

Didn’t run from Thursday, had a nerve problem in my neck from Friday onwards, legacy of the shoulder surgery last year, left me like Frankenstein’s monster (minus nuts and bolts:p) for the weekend, unable to turn my head. Thought I would have to pull out but lots of Nurofen Plus left me high sorted by Sunday evening.

No running and the poor weather made the weekend drag and by Sunday afternoon I was reduced to hours of ironing in front of the TV (4 girls = lots of ironing) saved by BBC2 showing Alison Morrison’s Tri performance in Madrid.

Up early and off to Cork in time to see the start of the full marathon passing City Hall on the way out the north side. Caught a bus out to the half start and was there by 9:30, way too early. Around 10am drifted down to watch the leaders coming through 10 miles, followed by the lead groups and the Boards relay runner. After half an hour of this realised I should be resting so sat down in the shade. Having knocked off a half litre of liquid, local knowledge (being early) took me from the long queues for the half loos down to those for the relay where the queue was only two deep;).

Now fed, watered and ready to roll, the aim was for 1:38 but was not too confident as while I had the mileage done the speed work was lacking. Lined up ahead of the 1:40 pacers but as we jogged up to the line found myself behind 3 women walking hand in hand (why do people do this?) so moved up another half a dozen rows. Start was handy, not too crowded and obviously positioned well as settled into the right pace with those around me, 3 guys from Eagle AC in particular, who I was to stay with till the last few miles.

First 6 miles were well paced, between 7:20 and 7:30 and encouraged by consistently passing full marathon runners from the point where we joined up. Didn’t take any water till this point and had to grab a cup, pull over, drink and head off again (more stations with cups than advertised?), not a major issue but breaks the rhythm. Felt the heat by 8 miles so the sponges were very welcome at this stage. From 10 miles struggled to hold the pace, the long drag from Dennehy’s Cross taking the last of my reserves, even though the course from here on was downhill or dead flat. Pace slipped on the long straight back into the city past County Hall, the light wind being enough to bring in my slowest mile at 7:48. Even on the final mile, where I was being passed regularly for the first time all day, I could only muster a 7:28.

Overall 1:38:51, a PB by nearly 3 minutes, but have to say I’m disappointed with how I tailed away towards the end, it also leaves concerns for the marathon in less than 4 weeks time. Positives are my pacing (for the first 10 miles), preparation and recovery, legs are good; negatives are tailing away towards the end and lack of any extra reserves (nutrition needed?).

Good day, good event, compliments to Cork, its people and the city council, clean up was well under way as I was heading back to the car.

Congrats on a brilliant time, and pb!! Don't be disappointed, you ran a great race, and look to have recovered no problem - and that's the most important thing. Re: nutrition - did you take any gels/jellies/energy drink?

What is the plan for this weekends LSR? Can't believe this time next week we'll be into taper time.

RubyK wrote: »
    Congrats on a brilliant time, and pb!! Don't be disappointed, you ran a great race, and look to have recovered no problem - and that's the most important thing. Re: nutrition - did you take any gels/jellies/energy drink?

What is the plan for this weekends LSR? Can't believe this time next week we'll be into taper time.

Disappointed more for the end of the month rather than yesterday as I don't think the target is possible now, the weather can't be better than it was and I have nothing to play with. Nutrition, I had a bottle of energy drink just before the start and took water only in the race, plan to take a couple of gels during the marathon proper.

Plan says a 20 miler this weekend, might do it Sat as there is a 4-mile run in Kilmacow Sunday.

Recovery 5.3 miles, 9:09 pace

Legs were a bit stiffer than I expected this evening but took it very easy and they loosened up well. Very humid after the rain, we were blessed with the weather yesterday - can we book a repeat for the 30th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good stuff slowsteady, sounds like you didn't have the greatest prep for cork but still grabbed a 3 minute pb. Mind the legs before the weekend long run.

Fri - Hill Repeats 2.3 miles, pace 12:45

Despite the pace this was a tough enough work out with almost 1,000 ft of climbing. After the recovery on Tuesday the sole of my left was very sore, almost blistered, so gave my legs a couple of unplanned days off. Even then I decided to give my feet, if not my legs, a rest and do some hill work. Five repeats jogged down slowly to get the HR back to 100+

Sat - Recovery 8.9 miles, pace 9:13

Legs still felt less than par so with LSR today did this very easy, anything less than sub-9 I find hard to do but had no problem with this one, HR 128.

Sun - LSR 19 miles, pace 8:05

Confidence had taken a bit of knock on Monday (even with a PB:eek:) so I felt this one was important to re-establish a bit of faith in myself. Planned to do this at 8:10 pace but was prepared to be flexible depending on the weather. Played ball on the day, warm, cloudy, light breeze, pretty perfect so 8:10 was the agenda. Went out with a nice group and we banged out an average 8:00 pace, felt good up 10 miles but suffered a bit for a mile or so through Tramore, recovered well in the next couple of miles, enough to be happy to stop and wait for one guy who had tailed off and give him a bit of company.

There is one mile, mile 24 on the marathon, that will be a bit of a heartbreaker for those who are struggling and who do not look at the route as, while the road in from Tramore is the same as the National half, there is a loop from the last roundabout up along the ring road to the next roundabout and back down the other side, just when you think you are on the last leg to the finish.

My partner passed on the loop so I went off on my own for the loop and the last 3 miles and was able to pick up the pace again, so a good day in the office:).

Three weeks to go, time to start winding down (a bit). 700 miles YTD.

Great pace on the LSR slowsteady! Happy tapering :)
    slowsteady wrote: »
    There is one mile, mile 24 on the marathon, that will be a bit of a heartbreaker for those who are struggling and who do not look at the route as, while the road in from Tramore is the same as the National half, there is a loop from the last roundabout up along the ring road to the next roundabout and back down the other side, just when you think you are on the last leg to the finish.

Ah jayzus, I didn't know about this nice little addition. That's going to be mentally tough :(, when you really don't need it. Thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement

Mon - Recovery 5.3 miles, 8:32 pace

Easy relaxed run to keep the legs loose after LSR. Left achilles is still not right, but a bit like the recession - getting used to it:).

Today - Easy 5.3 miles, 8:19 pace

Due to commitments didn't get this done last night so set the alarm for 5am. Greeted by heavy showers:eek:, which had passed by the time I got out the door:p so a good run. Started easy enough and stepped it up to MP for a couple of miles in the middle. Nice start to the day (now if I could get up every morning.....:rolleyes:.....not going to happen).

Steady 8.62 miles, 7:57 pace

Old joke - How do you tell it is summer in Ireland?

The rain is warmer.

Got home from work last night, wind, rain, gale force whatever you want yourself. Despite this wanted to get a run in so that I could have today to rest ahead of an LSR tomorrow.

After the first few minutes got into my stride but into the teeth of the wind, despite that it was enjoyable enough. I hadn't decided what type of run I was going to do as I wanted to see how strong the wind was but as I was able to hold 8:00 I kept this up and turned it into a MP run. For the second half the wind seemed to lessen (it always does when it should be behind you:rolleyes:) but there is a fair bit of uphill to keep me honest. I upped the pace to finish in what was probably my fastest run on that loop ever. Happy days.

Now, if I could get the runners dry.....says he, as the rain batters the windows.....

LSR 15 miles, 8:15 pace

Ran through a checklist before I headed out yesterday morning. Suncream? Looked out the window, heavy dark clouds, no need. Of course, being Ireland, half an hour later the head was being burned off me. Oh, the joys of it:p.

Two weeks to go, so it is cutback time. Started out briskly enough but as the heat and sun got to me slowed to a 8:30 pace. We were running part of the marathon course including the long uphill drag to the peak of the course at halfway. This part will be a challenge on the day as the sensible thing will be to lose a bit of time here rather than burn out trying to keep an even pace and get it back on the long downhill into Tramore that follows. This is what we did yesterday but being disciplined enough when it matters will be important.

The cloud came back for the return leg to town along with a light cooling breeze so we were able to mix the pace up a bit without any real problems. Soles of my feet felt like they might be developing blisters but, while sore, there was no real signs, need to watch this.

Recovery 5.3 miles, 8:23 pace

Torn between doing this tonight and tomorrow, motivated by rain clouds on the horizon so blazed away. Started steady but still managed 8:00 dead so slowed gradually for the remainder of run. Legs a bit tired but its taper time:) from here on in.

No rain, no wind, pace nearly 30 seconds slower than Fri but HR higher - figure that.

Steady 7.4 miles, 7:57 pace

Plan was to run the marathon route around Waterford city as it was the one part of the race I hadn't covered previously. I had some concerns about how hilly it might be so there was only one way to find out.

It should have been an easy paced run but I messed about at home before going out (cutting grass and other futile activities:D), result was the rain started just as I did.

Turned up the Lacken Road just as the proper downpour began and found this to be, rough, narrow and as hilly for the first half mile as I had feared but, having said that, I speeded up, encouraged by the rain. Kept it up all the way back into town, through Ballybeg and all the way up to the top of the Cork Road, this was all handy enough with a very easy incline. Remembered, belatedly, that I am supposed to be tapering so eased back for the return down the Cork Road to the start.

Absolutely drowned and a little cold and not happy with how I let the weather push the pace. Nothing above 8:30 till Saturday week:rolleyes:

Sat - Easy 4.8 miles, 8:32 pace

Went out to the new Eco park for a look yesterday, very new but has the potential to be good if the trees and shrubs get a chance to grow. Have built a perimeter path 2km long with marker posts every 100m, ideal for fartlek type runs - so that is what I did.

Kept it short but mixed it up with 100, 200 and 400 intervals. Needed the run as the legs were creating their own aches and pains from lack of activity - taper madness:p

Sun - Easy 9 miles, 8:09 pace

Started out with the usual group but as they were enthusiastically heading out at 7:30 pace so left them off and did my own thing for a while till a few of them dropped back. Seemed to be cool but got very warm very quickly, will settle for our usual summer weather next Saturday - 13C with cloud and light breeze please:).

Diet of water and pasta this week - lovely.

Nearly there now slowsteady :) I see they have confirmed that the course has been certified, so you're back on track for Boston.

Tue - Recovery 5.3 miles, 8:48 pace

Very easy run in humid conditions, lots of aches and pains, most imaginary:).

Thurs - Recovery 2.7 miles, 8:33 pace

Final outing, had to consciously relax (always a good sign) but had niggles in knees, calves, quads, etc, etc. Need to get to tomorrow, quick.

Weather playing ball, cooler, light showers, now if there is no wind....... there are possibilities.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll have a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck tomorrow.

Advertisement