Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

GastroBoy wrote: »
    So it's been confirmed, "One Direction to play Slane 2012" !!!

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

A LEGAL CHANGE pushed through last week by environment minister Phil Hogan may yet rescue the prospect of a 2012 gig at Slane Castle.

Castle owner and gig organiser Lord Henry Mountcharles had said a concert for this year was unlikely, telling today’s Irish Sun that he was not willing to book a headline act for this year’s gig unless he was confident they were the “the right choice”.

“But in this case time is running out,” he said, adding that the deadline for applying to Meath County Council for a licence to hold the annual gig – traditionally held in late August – was running out.

In the last few days, however, Phil Hogan has signed a statutory instrument which amends planning laws originally introduced in 2001.

The previous law required organisers to apply for a licence for an outdoor event 16 weeks before it was due to take place – but Hogan’s amendment means only 10 weeks’ notice is now needed.

Without the change, if a concert was to be organised for Saturday 25 August, an application would need to be lodged with the council by Friday 27 April – just over a fortnight from now.

Under the new rules, however, organisers will have an extra six weeks to seek an event licence, and will have two months – until Friday 8 June – to apply to the council for permission to hold an event at Slane, if 25 August was their chosen date.

Coldplay are among the acts rumoured to be in contention for this year’s gig; the British four-piece have no gigs booked for either August 25 or September 1, during the European leg of a world tour which currently does not include any Irish dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

karaokeman wrote: »
    He obviously wants to secure AC/DC for next year seen as how they could easily sell out 80,000 tickets, I don't know any other band touring this summer who could sell that many in Ireland.
    I seriously doubt that.
    2 nights in the O2 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Castle owner and gig organiser Lord Henry Mountcharles had said a concert for this year was unlikely, telling today’s Irish Sun that he was not willing to book a headline act for this year’s gig unless he was confident they were the “the right choice”.
    i thought MCD pay Mountcharles for renting the land, and then they organise the concert, including booking the acts? Mountcharles basically has nothing to do with the actual gig, let alone choosing the headliners. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I seriously doubt that.
    2 nights in the O2 max.

They sold out the o2 in minutes and sold out punchestown in not much longer then that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I seriously doubt that.
    2 nights in the O2 max.

I agree with The Great Chinholio, just was I was about to say.
    GastroBoy wrote: »
    So it's been confirmed, "One Direction to play Slane 2012" !!!

Lol.

Why does this thing always come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

karaokeman wrote: »

Lol.

Why does this thing always come up?

Well they are apparently bigger than the Beatles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

i thought MCD pay Mountcharles for renting the land, and then they organise the concert, including booking the acts? Mountcharles basically has nothing to do with the actual gig, let alone choosing the headliners. :confused:

Your right, its an mcd gig, he is prob just used to provide publicity for it

I seriously doubt that.
    2 nights in the O2 max.

As said they sold out the O2 in seconds then pretty much sold out Punchestown . Most ACDC fans have being dying to see ACDC play Slane after all these years

They are 1 of the biggest bands Rock N Roll bands of all time . If KOL can sell Slane out ACDC can:D

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

As said they sold out the O2 in seconds then pretty much sold out Punchestown . Most ACDC fans have being dying to see ACDC play Slane after all these years

They are 1 of the biggest bands Rock N Roll bands of all time . If KOL can sell Slane out ACDC can:D

Most definitely!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

allanb49 wrote: »
    Well they are apparently bigger than the Beatles :rolleyes:

It was the name of our second album

abbey-roads.png?w=655&h=245

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

I seriously doubt that.
    2 nights in the O2 max.

AC/DC could sell-out Slane no bother, and probably in less than a day.
    I hate the logistics/drama of getting to/from Slane but I'd go if AC/DC were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

So do ye all think we will get an announcement by mid-week? One way or another!! The Irish Times article last week seemed pretty certain that we will get something soon.

I simply want to know so that I can plan my summer gig schedule, I would love Slane to be 25th August. I would then head to Foo Fighters at T-Vital and work my way to Slane for the weekend.

I'm guessing it's Coldplay or nothing!!

I know Slane has its transport problems but it is simply a fantastic venue. I usually travel up on the afternoon the day before and camp at Slane Farm Hostel. Enjoy the build up in the campsite/village the night before, get into the concert site early on the day of the gig and then camp again that night before heading home the following day around 1pm when all the crazy traffic etc has gone. It's a simple stress free weekend.

This year, I've booked accomodation in Slane on certain weekends (no booking deposit so no charge if the gig is not that weekend or if there is no gig at all).

So do ye all think we will get an announcement by mid-week? One way or another!! The Irish Times article last week seemed pretty certain that we will get something soon.

I simply want to know so that I can plan my summer gig schedule, I would love Slane to be 25th August. I would then head to Foo Fighters at T-Vital and work my way to Slane for the weekend.

I'm guessing it's Coldplay or nothing!!

I know Slane has its transport problems but it is simply a fantastic venue. I usually travel up on the afternoon the day before and camp at Slane Farm Hostel. Enjoy the build up in the campsite/village the night before, get into the concert site early on the day of the gig and then camp again that night before heading home the following day around 1pm when all the crazy traffic etc has gone. It's a simple stress free weekend.

This year, I've booked accomodation in Slane on certain weekends (no booking deposit so no charge if the gig is not that weekend or if there is no gig at all).

Thats my plan if there is a Slane and a act i like is playing

Thats my plan if there is a Slane and a act i like is playing

It's the only way to do it IMO. Takes all the stress out of it. I was there around 2pm on the Friday last year. It was €20.00 per person for two nights camping. Was set up by 3pm and headed into the village for a few pints with others from the campsite. Headed back to the campsite around 10pm, had a few more beverages with my camping neighbours. Up early the following morning, had a fantastic view of all the lines of traffic approaching the village. I strolled down the road to the gates of the castle, got in just after 1pm with a pit wristband safely secured and had an incredible day. More campsite beverages that night before waking Sunday and heading home around 1pm. The whole village had almost returned to normal by that time with very little reminders of a concert having taken place. Campsite also had all you needed, from food and toilets to hot showers in the main building.

Slane Castle ‏ @slanecastle Close
    Good Morning guys, Lord Henry has announced this morning "there will be no Slane this year, but 2013 will be busy" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Yeah, same thing is on their facebook. No Slane this year:(

Must say was really hoping Coldplay or Foo Fighters were going to be announced for this year!!

Strange really, considering that both are touring this Summer and Slane could easily have been fit in. Although I know Foo's are playing T-Vital.

Is Henry Mountcharles worried about potential sales given the fact that many gigs are not selling out these days? Maybe he has taken the fact that T-Vital, Marley Park, Electric Picnic and Belsonic are all being held in August/September?

Either way, it's a let down!!!

From Official Slane Facebook page:

Good Morning guys, Lord Henry has announced this morning "there will be no Slane this year, but 2013 will be busy" .

Let the "ACDC for Slane 2013" wagon begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Surely has to be ac/dc!
    But I wonder the fact he said 2013 will be busy will it mean we might get 2slanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Agreed.

ACDC are playing Slane you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

A real shame. I still don't understand why Bruce Springsteen doesn't play there this year instead of the RDS. It would save him doing two nights, and it would be a change of venue after playing the last 5 gigs in Ireland in the RDS. It is strange especially as he is mates with Mountcharles and visits Slane when he comes here. Would've loved to see the Boss in Slane again, with John Fogerty of CCR supporting like he is doing in the UK.

with the 2013 being busy think they'll do more than one gig there

- Foo Fighters
    - Bruce
    - AC/DC

allanb49 wrote: »
    with the 2013 being busy think they'll do more than one gig there

- Foo Fighters
    - Bruce
    - AC/DC

Dont think he would do 3 shows (but could be wrong) but if Foo's have a new album out i wouldnt rule them out (but maybe they will wait till 2014 not to do a KOL)
    ACDC well as most years very possible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Green Day will have 3 new albums released by then... hmmm... :D:pac:

I know at the moment they aren't popular enough to sell Slane out, but by then the new albums might have got them a legion of new fans, you'd never know..

Green Day will have 3 new albums released by then... hmmm... :D:pac:

I know at the moment they aren't popular enough to sell Slane out, but by then the new albums might have got them a legion of new fans, you'd never know..

Id be amazed if Green Day do Slane next year , if they can somehow relight their popularity from American Idiot then yes , but if not then they wont play Slane .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Id be amazed if Green Day do Slane next year , if they can somehow relight their popularity from American Idiot then yes , but if not then they wont play Slane .

Can't see it happening. I am a huge fan myself but I can't see them really hitting those heights again. It would be nice but I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭bren2001

Can't see it happening. I am a huge fan myself but I can't see them really hitting those heights again. It would be nice but I doubt it

3 new albums. Another 3 hits from Green Day we can assume. If that doesnt get them headlining Slane with AC/DC as support I don't know what will :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

bren2001 wrote: »
    3 new albums. Another 3 hits from Green Day we can assume. If that doesnt get them headlining Slane with AC/DC as support I don't know what will :pac:

Hah Green Day fans crack me up! There's more chance of Led Zeppelin reforming and supporting The Corona's at Slane than AC/DC playing second billing to someone like Green Day

Advertisement