Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leinster academy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think Merrey is more of a solid player than anything else, he is a good scrummager but doesn't offer a huge threat around the field.

That's ok in a tighthead the way things are at the moment, but we have such competition between looseheads I don't think he has enough, without being too harsh. As I say, he would be a good signing for someone, a solid player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ruddock senior seems to have been let go, unless he's been promoted to the senior squad, which I highly doubt.

Shame that I was hoping a few of those lads would be pushed through to the senior squad in order to develop them, like Furlong or Moore at tighthead, Hudson or Coughlin-Murray on the wing, Luke McGrath and a back-row, maybe Gilsenan.

Any idea from the announcement which academy players from last season should be in the senior squad next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ruddock was final year academy. They must really not rate him because its not like were falling over ourselves with 2nd rows for next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Ruddock senior seems to have been let go, unless he's been promoted to the senior squad, which I highly doubt.

Shame that I was hoping a few of those lads would be pushed through to the senior squad in order to develop them, like Furlong or Moore at tighthead, Hudson or Coughlin-Murray on the wing, Luke McGrath and a back-row, maybe Gilsenan.

Any idea from the announcement which academy players from last season should be in the senior squad next season?
    Rhys, right? Thought he got a contract a few months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

No his brother, can't actually remember his first name! :pac: shows how much of an impact he's made! But Rhys is the younger of the two brothers, his older brother was still in the academy, and was a second row / backrow, but in reality he was too small and light for second row and was more trying to convert to a backrow player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

[Jackass] wrote: »
    No his brother, can't actually remember his first name! :pac: shows how much of an impact he's made! But Rhys is the younger of the two brothers, his older brother was still in the academy, and was a second row / backrow, but in reality he was too small and light for second row and was more trying to convert to a backrow player.

Ciaran Ruddock I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

ambid wrote: »
    Ciaran Ruddock I think.
    Yeah, that's him. Thought he was the younger brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He's a decent player. He was the captain of the side throughout the B&I cup. Just not good enough with the dearth of back-row players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Jack O'Neill from Castleknock and Paddy Thornton from Terenure are two more out and out 7's. Both have another year left in school. O'Neill in particular looks look a very good player

Castleknock are overrun with genuine sevens. I hear we'll be seeing more than just O'Neill next year. Good sign for future of Irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Any word on the sub academy yet?

• Advertisement

I am seriously exited about O'Neill. Watching him this year he looks like a real genuine 7.

Any word on the sub academy yet?
    It's never consistent throughout a season and rarely announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »
    I am seriously exited about O'Neill. Watching him this year he looks like a real genuine 7.

Have you seen any of Leavy? Apparently he is in that mould too but I haven't seen any of him myself

Tox56 wrote: »
    Have you seen any of Leavy? Apparently he is in that mould too but I haven't seen any of him myself

Yeh Leavy's very good as well. I wouldn't say he's as much as a natural 7 as O'Neill though, not that that's a bad thing. He's the kind of player who could become a 6 as well if you know what I mean. Whereas O'Neill is only ever going to be a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Leavy is top class. He has everything. O'Neill was an early developer. Played Ireland Schools as a 4th year but he looked as though this year he had stopped growing and was physically out muscled playing for irish schools this year

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

guapos wrote: »
    No Des Merrey, seems a bit strange that the Irish U 20 first choice loose head is being let go. I'm sure he'll get picked up by another province.

I've heard on numerous occassions that he's considering to quit rugby if he doesn't get an offer but doubt that's true to he honest.
    I think Merrey is more of a solid player than anything else, he is a good scrummager but doesn't offer a huge threat around the field.

That's ok in a tighthead the way things are at the moment, but we have such competition between looseheads I don't think he has enough, without being too harsh. As I say, he would be a good signing for someone, a solid player.

I dont think he is match fit. Didn't see him
    Involved with much games for clontarf seniors or 20s games after 6 nations which suggests he might of been injured? During the 20s interpros he was very good with ball in hand, scored a try and setup one or two from what I can remember. I wonder if any other provinces have been interested in him since there's not many coming through apart from Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is progression through the years guaranteed ? - or do you have to reach a certain level to progress on to year 2 or 3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

thebaz wrote: »
    is progression through the years guaranteed ? - or do you have to reach a certain level to progress on to year 2 or 3 ?
    Progression is not guaranteed. You have to show signs of improvement/have the potential and drive to improve further to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I don't know a whole lot about it but I have never heard of anyone been thrown out of the academy before the end of their 3rd year. Does anyone know if this has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

amtw wrote: »
    I don't know a whole lot about it but I have never heard of anyone been thrown out of the academy before the end of their 3rd year. Does anyone know if this has ever happened.

Gary foley and Shane gahan are 2 that come to mind says there's a few more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

easyeas wrote: »
    Gary foley and Shane gahan are 2 that come to mind says there's a few more

Michael Keating chose to leave the academy and sign for Doncaster where he was their top try scorer last season in the championship.

are Foley and Gahan still playing at any level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

bamboozle wrote: »
    Michael Keating chose to leave the academy and sign for Doncaster where he was their top try scorer last season in the championship.

are Foley and Gahan still playing at any level?

gahan was never in the academy. his dad played for leinster as well i think. he played for landsowne 1sts for a few years. dont know where he is now. foley was just found out for not being that good. he still plays for seapoint in the ail i think.

keating has signed up for another year with doncaster in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Hang on, am I missing something here? No Conan, Horan or Daly? Are they in the sub-academy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hang on, am I missing something here? No Conan, Horan or Daly? Are they in the sub-academy or something?

Conan is in there. Horan and Daly are not. Its not surprising to be honest although Daly played well in this tournament. Horan can't pass the ball yet so thats an area he needs to improve if he wants to get into the Leinster academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

profitius wrote: »
    Conan is in there. Horan and Daly are not. Its not surprising to be honest although Daly played well in this tournament. Horan can't pass the ball yet so thats an area he needs to improve if he wants to get into the Leinster academy.

Haha rather stupid of me, looks like I was indeed missing something. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

profitius wrote: »

Foster Horan is on a development contract in London Irish. Barry Daly was offered Munster Academy but turned it down and is playing for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

6dsp9 wrote: »
    Foster Horan is on a development contract in London Irish. Barry Daly was offered Munster Academy but turned it down and is playing for UCD

and Des Merry turned down Ulster academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I think it has been mentioned in the Leinster team/gossip thread already but thought id put it here as well. Adam Byrne is mentioned in article on the Leinster academy in the schools supplement in the Times today as now being a part of the academy.
    think thats 4 out of 25 players as from the youths system (byrne, boyle, sherlock, furlong)
    Interesting comments on the youths system and how that "there are plenty more Horgans and Sean O Briens out there" which i totally agree with.
    Hadnt realised that Adam Byrne only started playing rugby 4 years ago. That is another key reason for the youths system as it brings to notice those players who havent been playing the game since they were 12/13 and before as that doesnt happen as much in schools that someone only takes up the game at 15/16.
    Might be more suitable to the schools thread but some interesting comments by Matt Williams on how he feels the structure of the schools cup needs to change

Is Mikey Sherlock still in the system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 imno22

sherlock left the academy afaik, playing for skerries rfc and finishing up in DCU last i heard

Advertisement