Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leinster academy

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

have the places being announced for leinster academy, for next year -

should be fierce competition for the coveted positions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Expect to see Conor Gilsenan, Jordan Coughlan and Luke McGrath feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The players have been approached and I'm sure some deals have been put in place. I would think that the branch are waiting until after the U20 WC to finalise some of the spots. I would expect an announcement around late July; that was when the official announcement was made last year. Hoping we see some of the front five players signed up, particularly Michael Kearney at lock who looks the part but doesn't have the conditioning at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

michael sherlock ,full back,wing(clontarf)
    andy boyle ,wing, centre(ucd)
    luke mgrath ,scrum half, (ucd)
    collie oshea, centre (clontarf)

strangely enough mick kearney, clontarf is going to connacht academy

roycon wrote: »

Very disappointed if that's the case. He's a big, abrasive lump who shows up in the loose a fair bit. We're desperately short in the lock department. Ruddock and Flanagan are the only real locks in the academy and I don't think either are going to make the cut when they come to the end of their academy contracts in a year. Surprised that Leinster haven't snapped him up. Perhaps he believe he will progress quicker out west. There are a few of his international team mates already in the Connacht academy system also which might have tempted him.

By looking at the academy, there are 8 players that started the season in the academy that won't be there next season so I assume we'll be giving another couple of contracts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

GerM wrote: »
    Ruddock and Flanagan are the only real locks in the academy and I don't think either are going to make the cut when they come to the end of their academy contracts in a year.

Flanagan's been offered a development contract so he'll be out of the academy next year if he accepts it. Agree with you about Kearney. I've been quite impressed with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Fair play to Connacht. They're being proactive in their academy recuritments. If they keep it up their team will get alot stronger.

jolley123 wrote: »
    Flanagan's been offered a development contract so he'll be out of the academy next year if he accepts it. Agree with you about Kearney. I've been quite impressed with him.

Interesting. Haven't seen much of him so I can only assume those that have seen more of him know better than me. Makes the failure to sign up Kearney all the more peculiar if there's going to be another spot free in the academy at lock. Flanagan will be taking Sheriff's spot in the senior squad in that case. It has been reported on LF that he's off to Sarries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

how do you people know so much about the potential academy players?

is it through school boy rugby on setanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Tadgh Furlong (Clontarf) has to be in there surely. 18 years old and already an U-20s international...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 johnbhere

Don't think Mick Kearney has signed for Connaught yet. Talk is that Leinster will offer him academy place after WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

andyman wrote: »
    Tadgh Furlong (Clontarf) has to be in there surely. 18 years old and already an U-20s international...

I would imagine he'll be sub-academy for another year.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Partly. Not too many players get into the academy straight from school though unless they're exceptional. Most spend a year in the sub academy before entering the academy when they're 19 or 20. I get to see a lot of them in the U20 WC and 6N on television. Assume most others are the same. Several of them would play a bit for Leinster A also. Jordi Murphy had a few A appearances last season and Michael Kearney got a Leinster A cap this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

fair enough.

i'd only see one or two 6nations u 20 games per season and very little of the u20 world cup.

i wouldn't know any of the players until they get a bit more established.

i'm sometimes amazed and question posters knowledge of younger players.

My brother is in and around the fringes of the team, played all the U19s games last year, and was in the squad for U20s this year.

Gotten to know a lot of the guys mentioned above due to seeing the brother playing with them over last 2 years. Wouldn't know too much about some of the other academies, but have seen O'Halloran playing quite a bit and seriously rate him. Seems he's got some "head issues" to sort out before he gets out of the kid boots, but he'll get there I reckon.

tadgh furlong,prop,clontarf, is in the academy
    and rumours of des merrey also prop clontarf academy as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'd be very suprised if Kearney wasnt offered an academy contract at Leinster, he's one player coming through with great potential in an area Leinster have nothing really coming through.

With Sherlock, O'Shea, Merry and Furlong all on academy contracts hope they'll have opportunities with Clontarf next season in the AIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Expect to see Conor Gilsenan, Jordan Coughlan and Luke McGrath feature

I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard McGrath was pretty much guaranteed his contract prior to the Senior Cup this year.

Every year there's a big topic on here for the Senior cup, always see a few names thrown around and many of the recent past pupils will know of the players and how good they are.

AFAIK Merrey is in the academy, had some great games for Leinster this year from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 JB1988

gilsenan, coughlan and mcgrath are all in it. Their startin training next month. Apparently its a whole new academy with only 7 or 8 going into it and the rest been cleared out either by getting a contract or bein let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

Originally Posted by roycon
    AFAIK Merrey is in the academy, had some great games for Leinster this year from what I heard.

Merry isnt in the academy and is the sub academy for next year AFAIK james treacy seems to have gotten it ahead of him which i find very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

easyeas wrote: »
    Merry isnt in the academy and is the sub academy for next year AFAIK james treacy seems to have gotten it ahead of him which i find very strange

After watching Tracy absolutely demolish the SA tighthead in the JWC I'm not surprised in the least.

• Advertisement

david doyle to full academy as well i heard yesterday. cant confirm though. i know he originally wasnt supposed to be getting academy

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Academy Places have been announced today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Leinster Academy List 2011/12…

YEAR 1: Andrew Boyle (wing), Jordan Coghlan (number eight), David Doyle (hooker), Tadhg Furlong (Prop), Conor Gilsenan (back row), Luke McGrath (scrum half), Martin Moore (prop), Colm O’Shea (centre), Michael Sherlock (centre), James Tracy (prop)

YEAR 2: Sam Coghlan-Murray (wing), Darren Hudson (wing), Ben Marshall (back row), Jordi Murphy (back row), Jack O’Connell (prop), Noel Reid (out half)

YEAR 3: Ciaran Ruddock (second row), Eamonn Sheridan (centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I never realised there was a third year in the academy.

What does this mean for Ruddock and Sheridan? As they haven't impressed yet to be offered full contracts are they likely to secure something next season or more than likely will they move on?

I know you can't really tell at this stage but is there examples from previous years?

Why is Sheridan listed as being in the 3rd year? He was in it last year.

David, generally once you come to the end of your time in the academy you're either offered a development contract or shown the door. Anyone who hasn't received any worthwhile senior game time before the completion of their third year is likely to be shown the door. A lot of these people find a contract elsewhere whether as fringe players for other professional teams or a few of them go to division 1 in England for games in the hope that they get picked up by a bigger team. Some just go back to AIL and the dream ends.

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Leinster Academy List 2011/12…

YEAR 1: Andrew Boyle (wing), Jordan Coghlan (number eight), David Doyle (hooker), Tadhg Furlong (Prop), Conor Gilsenan (back row), Luke McGrath (scrum half), Martin Moore (prop), Colm O’Shea (centre), Michael Sherlock (centre), James Tracy (prop)

YEAR 2: Sam Coghlan-Murray (wing), Darren Hudson (wing), Ben Marshall (back row), Jordi Murphy (back row), Jack O’Connell (prop), Noel Reid (out half)

YEAR 3: Ciaran Ruddock (second row), Eamonn Sheridan (centre)

back 3 - 3 (all wingers)
    centres - 3
    outhalf - 1
    scrum half - 1
    back row - 4
    second row - 1
    props - 4
    hooker - 1

from that list it looks like we're light on second rows and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

back 3 - 3 (all wingers)
    centres - 3
    outhalf - 1
    scrum half - 1
    back row - 4
    second row - 1
    props - 4
    hooker - 1

from that list it looks like we're light on second rows and hookers.

yet Michael Kearney went to the Connacht academy, conflicting reports as to whether he was offered a spot on the leinster academy.

he wasnt offered a spot before the world cup so he took up the offer from connacht. other players like james treacy werent offered a spot before the world cup but then got offered a place based on their performances. peter du toit has gone to south africa to play in the under 21 currie cup with the sharks because he wasnt offered a spot by any one and his dad is south african

they also forgot about mark flannagan at second row whos still only 21 and bear in mind we have ed odonoghue despite the fact he didnt play a game all last season

• Advertisement

sheridan and tom sexton are going into there 3rd years in the academy. royce burke flynn spent 5 years in the academy before he eventually decided to leave. for a prop it obviously takes longer on average than a winger to develop although some players develop late in any position thats why they often bring in ail players to play for leinster A such as darragh fanning who have flourished a bit later for various reasons.

Advertisement