Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'd say your QUICK google was insightful too. The bad news stories are always easier to find. Do some proper research. Speak to the doctor. Then decide.
    The chances of having an issue are very low.
    I did it. No issues. Don't regret it. Should have done it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Jude13 wrote: »
    After a quick google and reading up on a few whom the procedure, in Ireland, did not got well I am seriously considering not doing it.

Are you just looking for an excuse not to get it done?. I put it off for a year but in the end it was the right decision and procedure went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

No, not at all. However, I seem to have pee'd people off by discussing procedures that didn't go to plan. I was hoping to get peoples views on it, however some take anything but positive opinions as a personal slight.

It's also the type of issues, a lot of pain for a prolonged period, not keen on that. Im not a scaredy cat and plan to discuss it with a doctor but wanted to get a lay mans view. I had my shoulder rebuilt, with anchors etc, last April and have pins in leg so I am not afraid of a bit of pain and not stupid enough to think that all procedures have a failure rate.

Im just not sure that I am cool with having pain there for months (not saying its guaranteed but a possibility) and that the regularity of procedures not going to plan being under represented. So I am on here to get a feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

....and that the regularity of procedures not going to plan being under represented.

Where are you getting this information from?

You wont get any kind of accurate stats on a thread where only some people post.

Im just not sure that I am cool with having pain there for months (not saying its guaranteed but a possibility) and that the regularity of procedures not going to plan being under represented.

You cunningly forgot to quote the pertinent part in which I stated that "I am just not sure...that the regularity of procedures not going to plan being under represented."

From reviewing people who had written about their experience online in which they have made a statement that the regularity of problem procedures is under represented. I will ask the doctor however I was hoping to get the views of people on here however it seems to be too sensitive a topic, party line is that its all grand.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote:
    No, not at all. However, I seem to have pee'd people off by discussing procedures that didn't go to plan. I was hoping to get peoples views on it, however some take anything but positive opinions as a personal slight.

Obviously directed at me.

It was your suggestion that a 'quick Google search' was enough to put you off that frustrated me.
    I knew all about the risks involved prior to my procedure because I researched it extensively. Had I just done a quick Google search I would never have done it.

Whether or not you get it done is of absolutely no consequence to me. I will likely forget I ever interacted with you by next week.

Jude13 wrote:
    From reviewing people who had written about their experience online in which they have made a statement that the regularity of problem procedures is under represented. I will ask the doctor however I was hoping to get the views of people on here however it seems to be too sensitive a topic, party line is that its all grand.

As I said already, the horror stories are going to be over represented. Fewer people are likely to report success compared to the number of compliants. As with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

khaldrogo wrote: »
    As I said already, the horror stories are going to be over represented. Fewer people are likely to report success compared to the number of compliants. As with everything.

That's a great point! People have a morbid fascination with medical procedures that went wrong.

From reviewing people who had written about their experience online in which they have made a statement that the regularity of problem procedures is under represented.

So your "research" is based on reading negatives from people online when its quite likely that most people who post about it online are only those who had a negative experience?

Thats not research and its not objective. Massively flawed methodology there. No surprise that you would anyone off getting ANYTHING done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Two good friends of mine have had it done, one went without a hitch, the other guy had a real bad experience.

Seeing as a population of 2 is not the strongest statistically, my input is probably pretty useless though |-:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Day 4:

Ended up doing 20 min walk, luas and bus ride, the motion of both caused odd twinge sensation, couldn't really call it painful.

No bruising or swelling. Wound (or whatever its called) has scabbed over and seems ok, presume risk of infection is gone.

If this keeps up I intend to hit the gym on Friday!

I wont post again unless something negative occurs...leave you lads discuss the theory of getting it done :).

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Obviously directed at me.

It was your suggestion that a 'quick Google search' was enough to put you off that frustrated me.
    I knew all about the risks involved prior to my procedure because I researched it extensively. Had I just done a quick Google search I would never have done it.

Whether or not you get it done is of absolutely no consequence to me. I will likely forget I ever interacted with you by next week.

You're mistaken there, it was a general comment, apologies if you felt upset.

The 'quick google' search was not the limit of my research, as you'd know if you read the rest of my posts however I was surprised that a 'quick google' search was all that was needed to show such negatives.

Great point by the other poster in relation to the fact that it's a logical assumption that people are more likely to post a about a bad experience rather than a good one, maybe boards is an exception.

I was hoping to use this thread to discuss the possibilities of, and experience of bad procedures to help with my decision, clearly this is not possible here without emotional reactions.

I will leave it there and wish you all the best.

Jude13 wrote:
    You're mistaken there, it was a general comment, apologies if you felt upset.

Not even a little bit

Jude13 wrote:
    Great point by the other poster in relation to the fact that it's a logical assumption that people are more likely to post a about a bad experience rather than a good one, maybe boards is an exception.

I made that point first.
    Jude13 wrote:
    I was hoping to use this thread to discuss the possibilities of, and experience of bad procedures to help with my decision, clearly this is not possible here without emotional reactions.

Absolutely zero 'emotional' reaction from me.

....clearly this is not possible here without emotional reactions.

Do you perceive people pointing out the flaws in your research as emotional reactions?

You seem very defensive, thats two posts now where you have claimed people are having emotional reactions about your comments on a medical procedure - which is kind of silly when you look at it objectively? Why would anyone be emotional about the stats for a medical procedure? I dont think anyone posting here has any vested interests in persuading people to have vasectomies?

So perhaps look at your own reaction, because I certainly do not see the emotional reactions you have twice referred to here, but I do see people disagreeing with your flawed research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Has anyone had any experience with Coole Surgery in Lucan?

I'm booked in for there in 2 weeks. I heard plenty of good feedback but does anyone have any negative feedback that I should be aware of?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Got the all clear from the Doc on Friday. Absolutely, 100% recommend Dr. John McCormick in the Molesworth Clinic. From the initial consultation, he was informative, transparent and reassuring. I said it before, but he was extremely thorough in honestly and clearly laying out the potential risks and the odds of it happening. Definitely put my mind at ease. Procedure itself went flawlessly, and the recovery was painless. Can't fault a thing.

For anyone in doubt, do yourself a favour and book a consultation at least. Get the information first hand and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Will they do this procedure on a single lad in his early-ish 30s?

Never wanted kids and this has not changed quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Need some insight from anyone who has experienced pain beyond the first few weeks.

I had the procedure on February 15th, I have had two courses of strong anti inflammatories, one antibiotic (no infection was identified).

I am still in a lot of pain, taking nurofen daily, while the pain has reduced it now seems to have settled at a reasonability high level. Pain is all down my left side, testicle and sometimes into lower abdomen.

Sitting seems to bring it on (I work in an office), it looks and feels like the left testicle is higher than before, has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Iamhere wrote: »
    Need some insight from anyone who has experienced pain beyond the first few weeks.

I had the procedure on February 15th, I have had two courses of strong anti inflammatories, one antibiotic (no infection was identified).

I am still in a lot of pain, taking nurofen daily, while the pain has reduced it now seems to have settled at a reasonability high level. Pain is all down my left side, testicle and sometimes into lower abdomen.

Sitting seems to bring it on (I work in an office), it looks and feels like the left testicle is higher than before, has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks in advance.

Check out the book "Vasectomy The Cruelest Cut Of All" you may need further sugary to try and fix the pain.

Had this done in November and experienced similar to what you're describing.

The pain seemed to settle at a high level after 3 or 4 weeks. Sitting and driving a car were among the most painful things to do, even walking fast was out of the question. Went back to doctor and surgeon but neither could see anything to worry about. Had to sleep on my back for 3 months. Have a colleague who also went through this years ago who kept reassuring me that everything would come good eventually. I was really starting to worry that I was one of the unlucky few with long term damage but about the end of February the pain started to subside. I also found alcohol, even 1 pint seemed to inflame things so didn't touch that for 5 weeks.

I'm still not 100% pain free and am much more conscious of protecting that area when my kids are around me or playing football but it's not a limitation anymore. I'm even back running and cycling since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Over the weekend I had made the decision to go ahead and make the call for an appointment but after reading the above and watching that vid it is now turning me off again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Dubdude wrote: »
    Over the weekend I had made the decision to go ahead and make the call for an appointment but after reading the above and watching that vid it is now turning me off again :confused:

I'm on the fence myself

"The most robust study of post-vasectomy pain, according to the American Urology Association's Vasectomy Guidelines 2012 (amended 2015)[19] found a rate of 14.7% reported new-onset scrotal pain at 7 months after vasectomy with 0.9% describing the pain as "quite severe and noticeably affecting their quality of life".[20]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-vasectomy_pain_syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

You have to consider that negative reports are going to be significantly over-represented on the Internet. The significant majority with straightforward pain-free cases don't tend to comment on it.

Any Doctor carrying out the procedure is well versed on the risks and in, my experience, will go to considerable lengths to talk you through them.

Not sure there's anyone on this thread coming back months later with reports of pain or to recommend against it.

You're right, the horror stories will always get more traction online.

I know loads of people who've had complication free experiences which kind of swayed my decision to get it done in the first place. I'd even recommend it now that I've had the all clear on the sperm test (I'd have cried if that came back positive!). It was just the uncertainty over the winter of not knowing if I had a long term problem that was really bugging me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

red_ken wrote: »
    You're right, the horror stories will always get more traction online.

I know loads of people who've had complication free experiences which kind of swayed my decision to get it done in the first place. I'd even recommend it now that I've had the all clear on the sperm test (I'd have cried if that came back positive!). It was just the uncertainty over the winter of not knowing if I had a long term problem that was really bugging me.

5 out of 6 people who play Russian Roulette will also tell you its safe.

But if you are unlucky enough to be in the minority you really are screwed.

Personally I would not take the risk with my own health.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vasectomy-Cruelest-Nightmare-Post-Vasectomy-Syndrome/dp/0741430991/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=the+cruelest+cut+of+all&qid=1554898197&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Dr Brown wrote: »

I don't want to derail the thread, but, coming from an Anti Vaxxer, I find that hilariously hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

talla10 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with Coole Surgery in Lucan?

I'm booked in for there in 2 weeks. I heard plenty of good feedback but does anyone have any negative feedback that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Bit late for this but I only just saw it. I had mine done there and had no complaints at all. Felt a pinch and the doc said, "Now, you're done". I asked if he meant the he'd finished administering the anaesthetic but he was actually finished. Don't even remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Dr Brown wrote: »
    5 out of 6 people who play Russian Roulette will also tell you its safe.

But if you are unlucky enough to be in the minority you really are screwed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vasectomy-Cruelest-Nightmare-Post-Vasectomy-Syndrome/dp/0741430991/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=the+cruelest+cut+of+all&qid=1554898197&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

If you don't mind me asking but are you a doc or is this just a username you chose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Plopsu wrote: »
    Bit late for this but I only just saw it. I had mine done there and had no complaints at all. Felt a pinch and the doc said, "Now, you're done". I asked if he meant the he'd finished administering the anaesthetic but he was actually finished. Don't even remember it.

Likewise. Chatted to the doctor (an Aussie) throughout the painless procedure and ended up recruiting him for my sports club! No after-effects whatsoever apart from the impressive technicolour bruising!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Dubdude wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking but are you a doc or is this just a username you chose?

Doc Brown is a character in Back to the Future. The user is most definitely not a doctor...

Advertisement