Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Got it done today

Wasn’t to bad. Like the getting hit in the balls by a ball.

Any swelling or discoloration of shaft or sac yet.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Any swelling or discoloration of shaft or sac yet.....?

Some bruising around the balls. Pain went after I took some pills and had a sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Got this done on Saturday. Was doing pretty well until today. Bruising has definitely increased and left ball is particularly sensitive and some pain across the groin just over the shaft. Am fine when sitting down but I’m walking like John Wayne. Hope I’m not one of the unlucky ones that has complications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Got this done on Saturday. Was doing pretty well until today. Bruising has definitely increased and left ball is particularly sensitive and some pain across the groin just over the shaft. Am fine when sitting down but I’m walking like John Wayne. Hope I’m not one of the unlucky ones that has complications

Hopefully it settles down again. Were you doing anything strenuous?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

When you say bruising increased, do you mean swelling?

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Hopefully it settles down again. Were you doing anything strenuous?

Nothing. Lay in bed until yesterday evening. Half picked up/helped one of the kids off their baby seat yesterday but that was it

Ferajacka wrote: »
    When you say bruising increased, do you mean swelling?
    Yeah you could kinda say swollen but definitely bruised. On one side especially. And it has increased since Monday when I took off the bandages as directed.
    Bruising is expected though I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Yeah you could kinda say swollen but definitely bruised. On one side especially. And it has increased since Monday when I took off the bandages as directed.
    Bruising is expected though I thought

Yeah bruising is normal enough... I had no bruising or pain for the first 3 days them they went fairly purple all of a sudden..and a dull pain for a couple of days. The pain only lasted a couple of days and bruising about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I've looked at a good few pages on this thread (dont have time to read them all) but havent seen a location/Dr mentioned who would be recommended. I have googled and found http://vasectomyireland.ie/ anyone any experience of them?

I get home to Ireland for a week every few months and am thinking about getting it done when I am home. Say fly in Thursday night, get it done Friday, stay a week and fly out the next friday

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's John McCormick whose services have been used by a lot of posters in this thread, including myself.

He is highly recommended.

As for your travel suggestion, that seems fine. If you make contact with him I'm sure he'd be happy to talk it through with you.

The other thing to be aware of is that you will need to provide a sample after 3 months to confirm that the procedure was successful. While you post in the sample, I suspect you should be doing so from within Ireland so that it's not delayed in the postal system.

There's no specific time for providing the sample, it just has to be a minimum of 14 weeks after the procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

Has anybody sent off a sample a few years later?
    Mine was done about 5 years ago but my wife has mentioned that she'd like a test done every 12/18 months. I've always laughed it off but she's mentioned it again so I figured it was probably worth getting done, just for her peace of mind.
    The guy who did mine is no longer around so where would I be looking at to send it off? I'd happily drop it in somewhere in cork, or else post it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

.red. wrote: »
    Mine was done about 5 years ago but my wife has mentioned that she'd like a test done every 12/18 months. I've always laughed it off but she's mentioned it again so I figured it was probably worth getting done, just for her peace of mind.
    The guy who did mine is no longer around so where would I be looking at to send it off? I'd happily drop it in somewhere in cork, or else post it off.

I thought, once it's done...it's done forever! Is there a need to do more tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

chewed wrote: »
    I thought, once it's done...it's done forever! Is there a need to do more tests?

That's what I said.
    There have been very rare cases of it happening, supposedly on the internet lol.
    I figured if she wants it done then for the sake of €50/60 every few years it'd put her mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Your GP will be able to organise it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

.red. wrote: »

I get mine checked in a fertility clinic in clane ... it costs me €50 and I got it checked after a year and will probably will get it done again this year.
    It’s 50 quid well spent in my opinion, I know I am probably being overly cautious.
    I am sure any clinic would do it for you, I just ring and make an appointment myself and nurse said a lot of lads would get it done. I wait for half an hour and results are ready before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Getting it done on Friday :eek:

Will post a few updates....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

whelzer wrote: »

Where as a matter of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

whelzer wrote: »

Pics or it didn't happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

harr wrote: »
    I get mine checked in a fertility clinic in clane ... it costs me €50 and I got it checked after a year and will probably will get it done again this year.
    It’s 50 quid well spent in my opinion, I know I am probably being overly cautious.
    I am sure any clinic would do it for you, I just ring and make an appointment myself and nurse said a lot of lads would get it done. I wait for half an hour and results are ready before I go.

What are the stats for you going “live” ammo again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There seems to be a failure rate of about 1 in every 100 within five years of the surgery according to google. I must admit, I didn't realise it was that high...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

There seems to be a failure rate of about 1 in every 100 within five years of the surgery according to google. I must admit, I didn't realise it was that high...

It probably doesnt matter in some cases - for example, if my husbands failed in 5 years its quite likely Id be too old to conceive then anyway so we might not even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Is that after you have 2 samples at zero? they have reattached somehow. have you any links for information of this. I will look into getting this checked in a few years if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Peckham wrote: »
    24 hours after the procedure and I feel, well, fine actually. Bit of tightness and a dull pain on left side (where he spent longer working), but nothing too bad.

Have taken a few painkillers, but not as many as I expected I would need to.

Have been reasonably active today too. Not exactly running around, but able to play in the garden with the kids, do light housework etc. All quite gentle!

Probably could have (should have!) milked it for more than this!

So far, so good.

Any more updates? How was the overall procedure? How long did it take to get back to normal? Would you recommend Vasectomy Ireland and Dr. John McCormick?

fixxxer wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen :pac:

It happened!

Got it done by this guy https://www.drjohnboyle.ie/

All things considered not too bad - yet. Was in/out of docs in less than an hour.
    Lots of chatting before, during and after.

Local anesthetic like getting a tooth done, needed a bit more on left side. Just an odd sensation really...

See how the next few days go.

Day 2:

All good to be fair, took a few painkillers during the night but all seems ok.

Reckon wearing very tight compression style undies helps.

Easy enough to walk around - odd twinge here and there.

Could probably do light enough jobs around the house but am definitely getting a day or two more of sympathy out of it!

edit: No bruising/swelling to speak of...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Dubdude wrote:
    Any more updates? How was the overall procedure? How long did it take to get back to normal? Would you recommend Vasectomy Ireland and Dr. John McCormick?

Would recommend him with confidence, and have already referred a few friends to him.

I posted a few updates above in the days after the procedure. Was completely normal within a few days, and back running about 10 days later. Could have gone sooner, but played it safe

No issues since (2 months later) apart from the odd twinge on the right side.

Day 3:

Almost 100% normal, no pain, swelling or bruising. Had a shower last night.

Going to stick with the compression pants for a few days. There is a strange feeling when gravity is doing its thing.

Back to work tomorrow - probably wont cycle though;).

After a quick google and reading up on a few whom the procedure, in Ireland, did not got well I am seriously considering not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Jude13 wrote:
    After a QUICK google and reading up on a FEW whom the procedure, in Ireland, did not got well I am seriously considering not doing it.

There is risk in every medical procedure.......

• Advertisement

Insightful. I have had numerous surgery's and am aware each time there is a risk, however what is being described in articles/threads such as this have me questioning the risk.

Advertisement