Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The decision to get a vasectomy was pretty much mine, I was researching it while she was pregnant with our third. We discussed all our options and hormone contraception was out for both of us, and condoms are way to unreliable for us!

Like you said, a vasectomy is far less invasive than tubal litigation. I was in and out in 45mins, forms signed, consultation, procedure completed, back in the car and drove home! Spent the whole procedure discussing the six nations.

Like a lot of lads I was concerned about my libido and orgasm afterwards. Would it be the same feeling, the same volume, would I be as horny. I can guarantee everything is in perfect working order and my libido is through the roof!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As I said it is silly and it's in no way a slight on guys who have had it done. It's just something in my own head.

I think if I dig deeper perhaps I am thinking about if myself and wife split up that it would be an issue in possible future relationships.

Let me get this straight.. you gauge your manliness by regular conscious thought about how fertile you are, and you also regularly think about ensuring you have allowed for a life after splitting up from your wife...??

I'd have a vasectomy fairly low on the list of things you need to sort out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

spockety wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.. you gauge your manliness by regular conscious thought about how fertile you are, and you also regularly think about ensuring you have allowed for a life after splitting up from your wife...??

I'd have a vasectomy fairly low on the list of things you need to sort out for yourself.

Don’t think A vasectomy decrease or changes the amount of sperm a male produces, millions are still created every day, it simply re-directs them into the ‘scrotum’ where they die/are reabsorbed by the body.......the ability for them to eacape and swim to meet the ovums is all that changes.... in fact even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After the procedure, assuming all goes well and to plan, how soon can you get back to playing contact sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

NIMAN wrote: »
    After the procedure, assuming all goes well and to plan, how soon can you get back to playing contact sports?

Bruising swelling lasts about a week. Probably more mental than physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Don’t think A vasectomy decrease or changes the amount of sperm a male produces, millions are still created every day, it simply re-directs them into the ‘scrotum’ where they die/are reabsorbed by the body.......the ability for them to eacape and swim to meet the ovums is all that changes.... in fact even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

If they have managed to make it out into the semen, would that not make them pretty agile and determined?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Yeah about a week or so.Definitely a heightened sensation too.Kinda different in a good way..:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Road-Hog wrote: »
    even post vasectomy as many as 100,000 sperm per ml in a sample is deemed acceptable/procedure has been a success....it’s their swimmming ability/mobility that counts.....

I dont know where you got this information from but please dont be posting stuff like this. You are completely wrong.

A successful vascectomy is where there is ZERO sperm in any test after the procedure has been deemed a success.

Its nothing to do with mobility.I personally had to have 3 tests because they found "viable biological matter" in my second post procedure test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

stratowide wrote: »
    Yeah about a week or so.Definitely a heightened sensation too.Kinda different in a good way..:D

Can I ask for a rough idea of how I will feel after the procedure, how much pain is there initially or does the LA keep the pain away for a while afterwards?

I'm only asking cos I might have to drive myself home after it, as its looking like I won't have a co-driver to accompany me. I might have a 45min-1hr drive home.

Will it be a bearable trip home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

It changes person to person but I had no issues and walked 15 mins to the carpark before driving 30mins home. I had very minor discomfort in the days that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I drove from Cork to Limerick after. But, as advised, got the pain relief and took them for a few days so didn't have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Can I ask for a rough idea of how I will feel after the procedure, how much pain is there initially or does the LA keep the pain away for a while afterwards?

I'm only asking cos I might have to drive myself home after it, as its looking like I won't have a co-driver to accompany me. I might have a 45min-1hr drive home.

Will it be a bearable trip home?

Wasn't a bother at all.I've had much worse pain getting hit in the goolies with a football.
    Take a few pain killers and you'll be fine.

The worst bit was looking at the reflection of the operation in the overhead lights..can still see it now.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Looking at reeling in the year and up pops the doctor who did the job on me Dr Andrew Rynne seems he has fined in 1983 for giving contraception to his patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Can anybody recommend a doc in the Dublin area that would be very reliable for this procedure. With something quite as valuable as my manhood, I don't wanna be using Dr Nick Riviera.

Also, in terms of booking for the procedure, how long in advance should I be making contact? If I were hoping to arrange for January would I need to start booking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

yogi37 wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a doc in the Dublin area that would be very reliable for this procedure. With something quite as valuable as my manhood, I don't wanna be using Dr Nick Riviera.

Also, in terms of booking for the procedure, how long in advance should I be making contact? If I were hoping to arrange for January would I need to start booking now?

DIY is the way to go - kit available on this URL

https://vasectomy-information.com/do-it-yourself-vasectomy-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

yogi37 wrote: »

I went to Dr O'Keeffe in Donnybrook just over 2 years ago. Couldn't recommend him highly enough

http://www.morehamptonclinic.ie/_mgxroot/page_10755.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    ...when test comes back with the all clear which is due to happen shortly.

Forgot to follow this up, results came back all clear after first test. :)

Molesworth clinic gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Molesworth clinic gets my vote

How where you after the procedure, really want to get it done and this place seems pretty good no scaple, no needle. The only thing has me delaying the booking is the thoughts of being left with pvp.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever with the exception of a mild tingling maybe every 20th ejaculation that lasts maybe 15 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Absolutely no issues whatsoever with the exception of a mild tingling maybe every 20th ejaculation that lasts maybe 15 seconds.

That's called a multiple orgasm! :D

Finally got around to sending in the sample for analysis... all clear.

This thread is a goldmine for anyone considering it, I'm surprised it's not more active.

This thread is a goldmine for anyone considering it, I'm surprised it's not more active.

Can I ask where you got the vasectomy done?

Dubdude wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got the vasectomy done?

Molesworth Clinic - Dr John McCormick.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I got the job done last Saturday, after a lot of delaying and putting it off and googling, YouTube searches and of course going reading through this thread about a dozen times. The chat beforehand took longer than the procedure itself and despite an odd twinge was relatively painless and and over before I knew it. I was a bit tender for two or three days but all good now but will keep wearing a pair of compression shorts for another few days. I have definitely had more painful procedures in the dentist chair.

Can I ask where you got it done, also was it no scapel no needle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

How long did you have to wait for the results back, did you get a letter or phone call?

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    How long did you have to wait for the results back, did you get a letter or phone call?

Posted on a Tuesday, phone call 10 days later on a Friday. To be followed by written confirmation in the post I believe.

Advertisement