Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

spockety wrote: »
    Posted on a Tuesday, phone call 10 days later on a Friday. To be followed by written confirmation in the post I believe.

Cheers, I posted mine Monday of this week, i'm like a child waiting for Christmas

Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced.
    The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open.
    By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours.
    Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me.
    I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

red_ken wrote: »
    Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced.
    The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open.
    By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours.
    Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me.
    I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

Do you mind if I ask where you got it done and was it the no scapel no needle you got done?

Dubdude wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where you got it done and was it the no scapel no needle you got done?

I had mine done in Clane, no scalpel, no needle.
    I had a fairly OK experience. One thing that happened to me was due to not eating or drinking enough on the day.
    I was really nervous and had no appetite.
    As soon as I stood up after the procedure I got really light headed. I had to sit down and i ended up passing out for a few seconds. My blood pressure was really low. The doc gave me a bottle of 7up and waited till my BP returned to normal (about 15 mins). I was able to head home then.

I was pretty much back to normal after a week, I was conscious of the tenderness but nothing too serious, and a bit careful when i was doing other stuff.
    Just waiting in the all clear now

Didn't have it done in Ireland, I'm living abroad at the moment.

It was with scalpel and needle, I had to put a cream on an hour before the operation to prepare the skin for the needle. Barely felt the injection tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Where was it done?

red_ken wrote:
    Had this done last Friday and today is the first day I can walk unsupported since. Both testicles are still swollen up though the colour has returned to normal now. That feeling of getting hit by a football is still there constantly but is very much reduced. The operation itself didn't go too bad I thought, as others have said I've had worse trips to the dentist. The right side did take 3x as long as the left though, the doc was pulling and squeezing for a bit before he cut me open. By far the worst thing I experienced was on Sunday/Monday. I had nerve pain and tension in my right upper leg and lower back. I had this constant need to stretch my leg but if I did then I had a searing pain across my body just above my pelvis. This stopped after about 30 hours. Visited my doctor Monday morning and have been on a cocktail of medication since. I left the house this morning for the first time in 7 days and am actually really looking forward to hopefully going back to work on Monday, the cabin fever is really getting to me. I don't mean to scare anyone off getting this done, it'll definitely be worth it long term and the pain in the balls is actually quite manageable with rest but that tension and nerve pain in my leg was something else.

In Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

spockety wrote: »
    Molesworth Clinic - Dr John McCormick.

I have to second this, I had mine done there on November 13th. Found him to be excellent. Very very thorough, talked me through all the potential side effects, didn't downplay the risks of Post Vasectomy Pain and made sure I was fully aware of any potential developments. We actually spent longer discussing the procedure than doing it. In and out of the clinic within 25 minutes, Ibrufen for the swelling (which was minor) but little to no actual pain. Back exercising within 2 days.

Can't recommend Dr McCormick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have to second this, I had mine done there on November 13th. Found him to be excellent. Very very thorough, talked me through all the potential side effects, didn't downplay the risks of Post Vasectomy Pain and made sure I was fully aware of any potential developments. We actually spent longer discussing the procedure than doing it. In and out of the clinic within 25 minutes, Ibrufen for the swelling (which was minor) but little to no actual pain. Back exercising within 2 days.

100% this!

Absolutely the exact same with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The Mulk wrote: »
    Cheers, I posted mine Monday of this week, i'm like a child waiting for Christmas

I posted mine on Tuesday. Hopefully the AnPost delays don't hold it up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I posted mine on Tuesday. Hopefully the AnPost delays don't hold it up too much.

I remember my sample got lost in the post when I sent it to the clinic in Mullingar. Someone got a lovely surprise:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Glebee wrote: »
    I remember my sample got lost in the post when I sent it to the clinic in Mullingar. Someone got a lovely surprise:D:D

Cream for their coffee...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

spockety wrote:
    Molesworth Clinic - Dr John McCormick.

Booked in with him for early January.

How did others do the shaving in advance? Cut it back with a scissors and then get stuck in with a Mach3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Peckham wrote: »
    Booked in with him for early January.

How did others do the shaving in advance? Cut it back with a scissors and then get stuck in with a Mach3?

Just a quick trim with scissors, the doc shaved the tiny bit he needed to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

100% true. That's where I went too. No issues, all went well.

Lost the paperwork for the sample though, must chase that up now I think of it.

On way home from having snip done by John McCormick about an hour ago.

Took 15 minutes and it is all pretty relaxed with him chatting away.

To put this in context I'm pretty queasy when it comes to medical things.

Procedure was nowhere near as bad as could be feared. Any discomfort (and it's mild discomfort) is from him moving things around, as well as the thought of what he's actually doing to you!

Will update again tomorrow and in coming days as my experience might benefit others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

Peckham wrote: »
    On way home from having snip done by John McCormick about an hour ago.

Took 15 minutes and it is all pretty relaxed with him chatting away.

To put this in context I'm pretty queasy when it comes to medical things.

Procedure was nowhere near as bad as could be feared. Any discomfort (and it's mild discomfort) is from him moving things around, as well as the thought of what he's actually doing to you!

Will update again tomorrow and in coming days as my experience might benefit others.

Milk it as much as you can until at least
    Sunday evening. Feet up all weekend and no children allowed near you...

Peckham wrote:

24 hours after the procedure and I feel, well, fine actually. Bit of tightness and a dull pain on left side (where he spent longer working), but nothing too bad.

Have taken a few painkillers, but not as many as I expected I would need to.

Have been reasonably active today too. Not exactly running around, but able to play in the garden with the kids, do light housework etc. All quite gentle!

Probably could have (should have!) milked it for more than this!

So far, so good.

Peckham wrote:

Updating again for future reference of anyone else considering a vasectomy.

Now 4 days later and feel great. Very little pain. Woke up this morning with no pain at all. Slight pain developed as day went on, but no more than niggling (kind of like a minor groin strain from sport).

Feel like I could exercise, but have been advised to steer clear until next week, so will play it safe.

The most annoying thing is the hairs growing back in that area. Itchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

In Clane is it the hospital or the doctors place on kilcock road for anyone who has had it there?

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    In Clane is it the hospital or the doctors place on kilcock road for anyone who has had it there?

It's above the petrol station and if he was the last medical doctor left on this planet I would gladly die before letting him anywhere near me.

Best of luck.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    It's above the petrol station and if he was the last medical doctor left on this planet I would gladly die before letting him anywhere near me.

Best of luck.

And why do you say that ? Many lads here have used this particular doctor and haven’t had any problems and this particular doctor has done thousands of Procedures ...
    I have used him and various friends of mine have used him with no issues what’s so ever.

harr wrote: »
    And why do you say that ? Many lads here have used this particular doctor and haven’t had any problems and this particular doctor has done thousands of Procedures ...
    I have used him and various friends of mine have used him with no issues what’s so ever.

Thanks for replies.

From a bit of googling that the man who does it there has retired and maybe the new person isn't as good.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.

From a bit of googling that the man who does it there has retired and maybe the new person isn't as good.
    Ahh ok , he was quiet old when he did mine a few years back. I would say he was definitely into his 70,s at that stage.
    He was very efficient and quick at doing the vasectomy.

SeeMoreBut wrote:

If it's the same man I had a run in with then good riddance!! Hopefully the new guy wasn't trained by the old guy

khaldrogo wrote: »
    If it's the same man I had a run in with then good riddance!! Hopefully the new guy wasn't trained by the old guy

I had mine done there, youngish guy, ex-Rugby player.
    Is he considered the good guy or the bad guy?
    I found him good, no scalpel, no needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

The Mulk wrote: »
    I had mine done there, youngish guy, ex-Rugby player.
    Is he considered the good guy or the bad guy?
    I found him good, no scalpel, no needle.

I used the same above mentioned Dr about 6 weeks ago and absolutely no complaints whatsoever and would have no problem recommending to anyone.

I am happy to hear that other priiick has gone....

MRJ wrote: »
    I used the same above mentioned Dr about 6 weeks ago and absolutely no complaints whatsoever and would have no problem recommending to anyone.

+1.
    The thoughts of having it done were the worst part. Fairly straight forward and a quick recovery.

• Advertisement

Got it done today

Wasn’t to bad. Like the getting hit in the balls by a ball.

Advertisement