Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EDISION mini argus combo got back 7 day epg.

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭

Why has my mini argus lost the 7 day epg on DTT??

I have got it back now but still no programme synopsis but a happy chappy. Dont ask me what I done as I kept getting sidetracked as I was messing.

gb--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is it RTE NL problem that you are using an uncertified box?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm using an uncertified receiver, no problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same here - and I accept that risk - but the OP was pinning the blame unfairly on RTENL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I was hoping someone would have a workaround.

And as it was working quite well for the past 18 months and now stopped I can only blame RTENL. They have obiviously changed something in the coding and I quite sure they are aware that people have bought the argus. I

And when they knock out a few more boxes ........

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    In addition RTENL were spouting off about using MPEG2 and people bought sets on that premise.

When?

• Advertisement

thanks for replies

back in 2008. here is a snip

"The Trial did test MPEG4 on one of the MUX but in the main the test was of MPEG2 multiplex."

I am going to sit tight for at least a year and see what combos come on market. I will have to live with current epg. At least I dont need sly anymore.

gb--

ps but if they muck HD with unnecessary DOGS, which they will, ahh thats another story.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    thanks for replies

back in 2008. here is a snip

"The Trial did test MPEG4 on one of the MUX but in the main the test was of MPEG2 multiplex."

I am going to sit tight for at least a year and see what combos come on market. I will have to live with current epg. At least I dont need sly anymore.

That trial was run by BT Ireland on behalf of DCENR.

RTÉNL have neither intimated nor "spouted off" that they would be using MPEG2.

Have you tried deleting the DTT channels and rescanning?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I plugged my nova-t stick into my laptop yesterday, and VLC seemed to be able to see the epg data.

When I plugged it back into my vu+duo, there was missing entries.

It seems to be ok today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

GBCullen

MPEG4 has been used full time since August 2008. Prior to that there were DCMNR tests that lasted over a year of both MPEG2 and MPEG4 content. The encrypted content via Conax was all MPEG4.

MPEG4 usage is widely know since Feb 2008 when the min spec was first published.

Your problem with the Edision Argus 2n1, an uncertified receiver is because of just that. Its not RTE's fault. I have several combo boxes, none of which behave the way of the Edision. It should be easy to find a solution to. Straight off I am wondering what firmware you have on it ? Is it "unoffcial" firmware like ILTV ???? If so you must realise that "unofficial coders" do mess with stuff that whilst fixing "unoffcial problems" like for example the usage of a Sky card, inadvertently drop stuff or mess up other settings.

Go get the latest OFFICIAL firmware or the last one that worked for you and you will be fine. German/European unoffcial coders dont test Irish DTT reactions.

If it is official firmware on it, then deleting the channels and rescanning will not reset the box to default. 9 time out of ten this is the problem - factory reset - or return to default mode is an option in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Since 2007 it was obvious the spec would be MPEG4 and HD.

RTE NL have done nothing strange. They are running a standard DVB EPG unlike Freesat.

LG 42LD450 TV and DVBviewer on PC are OK.

RTE are not deliberately trying to "knock out" uncertified gear. They are not a Pay TV company trying to lock out "dodgy boxes". As far as they are concerned the more stuff that works the better.

Unlike UK the spec is public and accessible and designed by more than one country. (Nordig 2.2 and MHEG5). CI+ now also mandates MHEG5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

My Ferguson Ariva lost EPG and Now/Next data. A hard reboot (mains off) restored it to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

From our testing, it's working on the edision argus mini. pull up the EPG, green button for options, press more and scroll accross and you get tomorow's shows etc

can also select schedule and it give more traditional 7 day EPG menu.

watty wrote: »
    RTE NL have done nothing strange. They are running a standard DVB EPG unlike Freesat.

There was some small change yesterday to the stream yesterday . On one receiver I noticed the 'now and next' wasn't appearing but the 7-day EPG was still OK. However, it should be back to normal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

From our testing, it's working on the edision argus mini. pull up the EPG, green button for options, press more and scroll accross and you get tomorow's shows etc

can also select schedule and it give more traditional 7 day EPG menu.
    that work fine for me but when i press info nothing comes up on the epg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

reaper180 wrote: »
    that work fine for me but when i press info nothing comes up on the epg
    Noticed this ok the last couple of days, although RTE were never as good as, TG4 for example, at populating this.

Ok got it sorted but still no programme synopsis, which was very useful, it is on an old TNT box and a Freeview HD box.

And nice to know something changed in the stream!!

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Apogee wrote: »
    There was some small change yesterday to the stream yesterday . On one receiver I noticed the 'now and next' wasn't appearing but the 7-day EPG was still OK. However, it should be back to normal today.
    Can you elaborate on what changed and why it should be back today?

fat-tony wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on what changed and why it should be back today?

Don't know as I didn't check. But if there were problems on different models of receivers simultaneously, then it stands to reason that they must have changed something.

Given the vagaries of DVB and how different receivers interpret the data in the stream (like the Philips TVs dropping the radio channels), you could be a long time searching.

Ok - a problem in my interpretation of what you had written.;)

You presumably inferred that there was a change in the data stream based on what you had seen on the receivers (reasonable), whereas I thought you had empirical data about the issue and that you had information (from a source in RTENL?) that it should be corrected today.

Throw into the mix the people needless fascination of having to upgrade to the latest version of firmware, which most of the time is "unofficial" and often for purposes of no use to Ireland or indeed 28.2 and you have a room full of knotted cables to sift through!

• Advertisement

No connection with anyone in RTÉNL. I'm not part of the 'golden circle'! :D

STB wrote: »
    Throw into the mix the people needless fascination of having to upgrade to the latest version of firmware, which most of the time is "unofficial" and often for purposes of no use to Ireland or indeed 28.2 and you have a room full of knotted cables to sift through!

I don't see anything posted to suggest people were using unofficial firmware.

It's not like RTÉNL haven't done some non-standard stuff with the DVB streams in the past.

Apogee wrote: »
    I don't see anything posted to suggest people were using unofficial firmware.

It's not like RTÉNL haven't done some non-standard stuff with the DVB streams in the past.

I dont see anything to suggest that RTE have changed anything in the streams........

On the boxes I have, all is fine.

And that suggests people are using unofficial firmware how?

In my experience, yes. Messing with menu options is my second question normally.

Eitherway, between the 2, they probably account for 90% of problems posted here.

I wouldnt just assume that something has changed in how the transport stream is presented that truncates the EIT from specific boxes! That would have to be one special DVB stream! That would be have a very low probability, comparatively.

I'm using official firmware. I checked out someone else's Edision running official firmware and it showed a similar problem. If this was happening on one model of receiver, fair enough. But for it to have happened on different models simultaneously is not merely coincidence.

ditto, I have argus, quite old, neighbour got a brand new one yesterday, on my recommend, both have lost the synopsis bit. Its been re-booted etc etc and both have official firmware. Maybe it will come back after official launch.

gb--

Was away for a couple of hours (having a life hee, hee!). I've had a look at the EIT streams to see if there has been any significant change. The only things of note I can see are that the programme descriptions have, if anything, become more verbose;) There are extended descriptions attached to some programmes and the descriptors are spread over two or three entries in some cases.
    The carousels are not, in all cases, in strict date order, but all events are numbered, dated and timed so that the firmware in the receiver can put them in sequence. For example the carousel for RTE Two has the current running and next programme as the first two in the sequence (as would be expected), then the next entry is for 28/05 and so on. The data for the 24th (prior to the current time) follows the 29th.
    But the data is all there and it is up to the STB or idTV to order it properly.

Okay. Now that I think of it, it sounds like the edision is not calling/loading the DTT EIT data immediately and is only loading it when the station is entered. This is normallly only a few seconds though. The memory should be able to load it within a few seconds.

One way to test this notion.

Put the box on a sat channel. Now disconnect the box from the mains.

When you switch it back it should default to that last sat channel watched. Now enter the EPG, if you scroll up within the EPG do you only see now and next on the DTT ? Pressing okay on the channel will load the 7 day epg from EIT. Theoretically this should also populate the programme info. So pressing info when out of the EPG twice now displays that programme info ?

If it failing - What stage is it failing at ? Most boxes follow this sequence. Tell me if its different on the Edision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

7 page epg there for me last night, but programme synopsis still missing. gbcullen, if you get it sorted via anything other than it just returning, could you post back, please?

Advertisement