Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Stabbed in Cork City

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

North Face wrote: »
    The moment an officer put his own Officer safety training out the window and in dangers his colleagues more to the point.

This isnt Die Hard or lethal weapon and they are not programmed drones either they have a life outside the job and family to love and care for. (This isnt the topic and so im going stop myself there.)

I'm fully aware it's not a film, thank you.

They also have a duty to the public. When they joined, I can only assume they were fully aware of the dangers that came with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Every serving member of the emergency services is obliged to look after their own safety first and foremost as a matter of policy. If they do not, not only will they subject to discipline at risk of losing their livelihood and pension (sorry, gold-plated public sector pension :rolleyes:) but potentially may be subject to civil litigation if their actions are deemed reckless and accordingly cause harm.

Real life is very different to the movies.

So where do we draw the line with regards to when a member of AGS should try to deal with a situation?

BTW, why mention their PS pension and a :rolleyes:? It quite literally has nothing to do with the topic.

Also, is there a need to roll out the "This isn't the movies" line all the time? I haven't seen anyone come on saying the lads should've thrown on a wife beater, lit a smoke and start shouting "YIPPE KI YAY MOTHER****ERS"

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Poccington wrote: »
    So where do we draw the line with regards to when a member of AGS should try to deal with a situation?

The individual operates within set down guidelines, procedures and policy. Putting their own safety at risk is not part of the deal that anyone 'signs up to' or 'accepts'. It is however accepted that policing can never be free from risk and therefore the onus is on each individual to try minimise said risk and conduct dynamic assessments of risk as it is encountered.

Would you expect an unarmed Guard to tackle a group of armed suspects?

If you feel your local police are ill-equipped or trained to handle a situation like this, in whatever way you think it should be handled, I would encourage you to write to your TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Would you expect an unarmed Guard to tackle a group of armed suspects?

Yes.
    It's been done before, many times. It's inevitable in an otherwise unarmed police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

This thread has gotten ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This thread is being closed with this post being given a worthy place at the end of the thread in the hopes that it'll be the one people will read and learn from.
    Corcioch wrote: »
    I must say im astounded at the level of complete ignorance masquerading as posts here. Experts who clearly have no day to day policing experience, but can come up with all sorts of great ideas ( based loosely on reality ) sitting comfortably on their sofa at home behind their PC watching the video . . . . .

Stingers, TPAC rolling blocks etc etc . . . .People advocating these tactics clearly have NO IDEA of the strict circumstances where these can and cannot be used . . . .

As for the ramming advocates, more pie in the sky. Posts no doubt by persons who have never actually been in a ramming. I have been rammed several times by stolen cars . . .one incident was particularly bad. Rammings are extremely dangerous . . . .

More critisism of Garda Training. While I agree there needs be far more training of more members . . ..I cannot fathom how anyone could have dreamt up this scenario in advance and trained for it . . . .

If Gardaí were to train for every crazy possiblity then they would never finish training and get to go to work.

This was a complete one off incident, there is no training manual to refer to for this one, and members did their level best to deal with the situation, reacting under pressure as events unfolded ( not on their comfy couch at home days later ) . . . .

The guy was detained, there was little further injury, if any etc etc . . . It was a good outcome.

Its easy to sit and watch it now and pick holes in it . . . .and come up with all sorts of hair-brained expert opinion, devoid of practical experience and realism . . on what should have been done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thanks to goldie fish for this link which gives us a slightly different view of the event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement