Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Stabbed in Cork City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 North Face

Well done to all the Airport Police and Gardai in Cork involved in safely bringing an end to this chaps crazy rampage! This is real life not GTA!

I wish a speedy recovery to all those injured.

I've just watched the video on RTÉ and my heart was in my mouth! That cúnt drove at the Gardaí who's car appeared to be disabled several times while they ran for their lives! I hope this person never sees the light of day again. Attacking a Garda and an Airport Police Officer with a knife, several attempts at murder, ramming the disabled car and then driving at an aircraft. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

Well at least they got him. will be interesting to findout more about this toerag. Will he plead insanity?? should be done for attempted murder, assault causing harm, criminal damage times whatever, stealing 2 vehicles endagering aircraft and public order. Enough to put him away for very very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

well done to the lads and ladies who finally stopped him and i hope all injured personnel make a speedy recovery. its sick the scum that is out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Sounds like someone getting very mixed up with GTA. Well done to al gardai involved.

For anyone thats interested theres a video on that rte news article and shows very well the role of the ASU when he eventually stopped!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

In the video can anyone tell me what is the black car that comes in with the other cars?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0522/cork.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 North Face

Its a Garda unmarked car I believe.

Below are images from RTE of a Airport Police Skoda response car which rammed the criminal on entering the airport.

Today was a test of bravery of members of both Police Services. well done again to all involved!

i2vx5g.jpg

Members of the Gardai and Cork Airport Police after the incident surveying the damage.

zoceqd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

North Face wrote: »
    Its a Garda unmarked car I believe.

Below are images from RTE of a Airport Police Skoda response car which rammed the criminal on entering the airport.

Today was a test of bravery of members of both Police Services. well done again to all involved!

i2vx5g.jpg

Members of the Gardai and Cork Airport Police after the incident surveying the damage.

zoceqd.jpg

Really it looked like a Skoda-Superb-3.jpg
    or one of these Skoda%20Superb%20Limousine%20schwarzl%2005%202010.jpg

Or something like that.I have never seen a black unmarked Garda car.
    I drives in at the 1:43 mark have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

And that Skoda was only new and all.

Seriously though, hope the lads injured make a swift recovery. This did however show up serious security flaws - that fence should be able to stop a car. If there had been an aircraft/car collision there could have been a huge number of casualties. Another notch on the pro-arming the Gardaí post too.

Are there stairs in Togher Garda station? Was just thinking how terrible it would be if your man fell down them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

sdonn wrote: »
    And that Skoda was only new and all.

Seriously though, hope the lads injured make a swift recovery. This did however show up serious security flaws - that fence should be able to stop a car. If there had been an aircraft/car collision there could have been a huge number of casualties. Another notch on the pro-arming the Gardaí post too.

Are there stairs in Togher Garda station? Was just thinking how terrible it would be if your man fell down them.
    No.
    Cells in togher are at the same level as the public office.

I'm willing to suggest however that given the suspect was arrested in his underwear, much of his detention will be done in the care of medical staff, rather than gardai.

We can be thankful that there was no repeat of the incident last week with the beheading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Does it look like the rest of the Garda cars (about 10 or so) are holding back a good distance while the other 3 chase him? Maybe it was safer?
    Also I laughed at the fire truck getting involved. Imagine getting a slap off that thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭pingu2008

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Hopefully the garda and airport officers make a quick recovery.
    It's hard to plan for such random acts and i do believe there should be more armed response units in Cork and countrywide.
    If this particular criminal has Issues :confused: or not i dont believe he should be released and should remain in either prison or hospital for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Excellent take down by the RSU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bravestar wrote: »
    Excellent take down by the RSU

After seven minutes of driving around in circles, and because he came to a stop of no apparent fault of the authorities.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Once again the RSU save the day.

Are there people still arguing that they are not needed? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Armco barrier will have to be installed now. The barrier fencing is not up to the job.

roundymac wrote: »
    Armco barrier will have to be installed now. The barrier fencing is not up to the job.

It wouldnt have made a difference. He crashed one vehicle into the fence, and ran onto the ramp to the fire station, where he took the Fire service jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

After seven minutes of driving around in circles, and because he came to a stop of no apparent fault of the authorities.

NTM

I would not be too sure about that, witnesses describe hearing shots before he stopped the 4 x 4. If you look at the video and especially at approx 0:43, you will notice him looping around a silver branch car, then he straightens up and heads for the cargo train.
    My impression is one of the lads in that branch car took out his front tyre. Then in fairness to the RSU lads they took over once he stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

He got some kick after he was taken down with the taser!

• Advertisement

He's in the district court at 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

NTM

I heard that the plane was full of ould ones heading to Lourdes so was it an act of faith that caused the car to stop? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm gobsmacked. A major breach at an airport and neither the Gardai or the Airport Police were able to stop this guy who ran circles around them for almost 10 minutes. It was only good fortune and not the good guys who stopped this guy before he could have collided with a parked airliner.

I don't doubt the resolve of all personnel involved and that they were in harms way but there is a serious deficiency in training and ability to stop this guy.

This is no "take down" to be proud of. The "take down" happened after the fact. The RSU did not save the day whatsoever. There needs to be a serious review and investigation on how both the Garda and the Airport Police were unable to stop this guy as he made his way from the city centre to the apron of a major international airport.

This could have been an episode of Keystone Cops. It would be funny only that it is too serious.

Sempai wrote: »
    I heard that the plane was full of ould ones heading to Lourdes so was it an act of faith that caused the car to stop? :)

Must have been because it wasn't the pursuers who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No further injuries and bad guy caught. I see no problem.

Zambia wrote: »
    No further injuries and bad guy caught. I see no problem.

There's a big problem here. It was by luck and no the police force that we pay to equip and train that stopped this guy.

You can speculate as to what might have happened had he not been stopped but there could have been a very serious incident here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

BrianD wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked. A major breach at an airport and neither the Gardai or the Airport Police were able to stop this guy who ran circles around them for almost 10 minutes. It was only good fortune and not the good guys who stopped this guy before he could have collided with a parked airliner.

I don't doubt the resolve of all personnel involved and that they were in harms way but there is a serious deficiency in training and ability to stop this guy.

This is no "take down" to be proud of. The "take down" happened after the fact. The RSU did not save the day whatsoever. There needs to be a serious review and investigation on how both the Garda and the Airport Police were unable to stop this guy as he made his way from the city centre to the apron of a major international airport.

This could have been an episode of Keystone Cops. It would be funny only that it is too serious.

Well what do you suggest? Ramming an almost 3tonne jeep with a 1.4tonne car???? All that would do is destroy the car and injure it's occupants.

Do you have any suggestions that would be viable, or are you just once again Garda bashing as you seem to do on any thread you post in involving AGS.

The members involved in this pursuit, acted within guidelines and procedures, and the pursuit was brought to a successful conclusion. This isn't Bad Boys, or Die Hard, it's real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It wouldnt have made a difference. He crashed one vehicle into the fence, and ran onto the ramp to the fire station, where he took the Fire service jeep.
    Òf coarse it would, armco barrier would stop a 40ton artic, it would make mincemeat of a SUV, I should know I used install the stuff. The Aer Lingus plane was just getting ready to board, it was going to Amsterdam, The Thomas Cook flight was for Lourdes, that had landed at 3.05 so in all probability it was loaded or about to load.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

BrianD What would you have done in this situation lets say you were

1. In the unmarked Garda Car armed with a Sig/Revolver/Uzi

2. In the RSU armed car.

Be realistic now and we can analyse your actions.

In Court this morning.

Edmond Stapleton, of no fixed address but originally from Dublin Hill in Cork city, was charged at Togher Garda Station last night.
    He also faces charges of threatening to harm Cork Airport employees John McCarthy and Michael Delaney while armed with a knife and taking their Toyota Land Cruiser.
    Garda John McSweeney gave evidence of arresting and charging Mr Stapleton.
    He told Cork District Court this morning that Mr Stapleton replied 'I understand completely' and 'I understand exactly what you are saying' when the charges were read to him.
    Judge David Riordan remanded Mr Stapleton in custody for a week on the application of Garda Inspector Michael Maguire.
    Solicitor Frank Buttimer told the court his client was not applying for bail and was consenting to the application.
    Mr Stapleton was granted legal aid after Mr Buttimer told the court that he was unemployed, had no income and no property or assets.
    Mr Stapleton confirmed this and complained during the hearing that he could not hear what was being said.
    Garda McSweeney also told the court that he arrested Mr Stapleton this morning on foot of an arrest warrant.
    The warrant was issued after he failed to turn up in court to face charges of possession and possession for sale or supply of cannabis and cocaine.
    These offences are alleged to have occurred in Co Kildare in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ramming an almost 3tonne jeep with a 1.4tonne car???? All that would do is destroy the car and injure it's occupants.

Due to both the affinity of Americans for large vehicles, and their apparently complete inability to drive, I routinely witness the results of impacts of such disparity. I am forced to conclude that the impact of a 1.4 ton car on such locations as the 60lb wheel attached to the 80lb axle are quite capable of disabling the larger vehicle, as evidenced by the wheel failure of Obama's 7-ton limo yesterday.

The way the chase ended strongly seems to imply that the impact of 1.4 ton car with 3-ton jeep did, indeed, cause sufficient damage to the vehicle to result in a stop, assuming that the report that he stopped because the vehicle was disabled was correct, and not because he just got bored.

I acknowledge the report of shots fired, but I just can't see it in the video, and would have thought it would have been officially stated by now.

NTM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement