Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

"Bank of Ireland will commence issuing the new Visa Debit card to customers in the second half of 2011."

Link

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Autumn 2011 last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

will BOI automatically send out new cards to everyone, or do we have to wait until our laser cards expire?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine, like Ulster and PTSB, they'll be rolled out pretty quickly/you will be able to request one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

there has been very little since the announcement late last year .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

BOI probably have no intention of introducing this card in the short or medium term. Just got the announcement out to stop migrations to PTSB and UB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

my BOI business A/C manager tells me Autumn 2011..

i have my ulster bank one ages now.. boi are way behind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Bank of Ireland (BoI) has confirmed it is to issue current account customers with Visa Debit cards in place of Laser cards from next year, as announced in the Irish Times today.

The bank said it is to begin sending one million replacement debit cards to customers during the second half of 2011.
    Any Idea when exactly BOI will start sending out these cards ? , I'm sick of not being able to buy stuff online.

Thread merged. See posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Wonder will the charge for using the laser go up though when these cards come in, as you pay a little every year for the use of the laser, will it increase if you get the visa debit

• Advertisement

You only pay government stamp duty for you Laser card. Visa debit attract the same charge, no more

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Bank of Ireland has launched a new contactless-enabled Visa debit card, allowing consumers to pay for purchases of €15 and under "in less than a second" by holding a card over a reader.

The card utilises near field communications (NFC) to enable contactless transactions, which are recorded on a customer’s account.

They are subject to the same level of consumer protection as all Visa cards. Once the card is used a certain number of times or above a certain value, consumers will be prompted to input a PIN to complete their purchase.

Bank of Ireland says the card is suitable for retailers, buses, trains, parking and vending machines. Outlets will display a Contactless symbol, showing that they support this technology.

NFC payments

It is hoped the card will reduce queue time along with encouraging Irish consumers to make NFC payments.

“This new technology has been firmly embraced in Europe with over 20m cards in circulation and we are delighted to be the first in Ireland to issue Visa debit cards with contactless payment capability,” said Quentin Teggin, head of consumer segments at Bank of Ireland.

“Contactless technology is a key development in promoting electronic payment methods for low-value transactions.

“The consumer and retailer appetite is evidenced by the fact that Visa Europe recently announced that Visa contactless card numbers in issue in the UK are predicted to increase from 13m to 20m by the end of 2011,” he said.

Reducing paper-based payments

The new NFC debit cards aim reduce to the amount of cash payments made in Ireland. Seventy per cent of all transactions in Ireland are still made using cash, according to a National Irish Bank survey. The country is also one of the highest users of cheques.

“The move to contactless is aligned to the Government’s National Payments Plan to reduce cash and paper-based transactions and promote electronic transactions,” said Teggin.

“From the end of this year, counting coins to pay for items such as fast food, newspapers or coffee will be history for Bank of Ireland’s customers who choose to embrace this new technology,” he said.

According to Visa Europe, weekly spending on contactless cards has doubled in the last six months and will double again by the end of this year.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/22529-bank-of-ireland-launches-co

Is laser being replaced entirely so? Or will there just be another card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

This is super exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Is laser being replaced entirely so? Or will there just be another card.

Laser is being replaced entirely.

Both AIB and BOI are moving to contactless smart cards within the next year.

dotsman wrote: »

Hi Dotsman,

Do you have a source/link for that AIB info?
    I've been pestering them for ages about whether they're moving to Visa Debit and they just keep saying 'no plans'.
    Yeah, I know 'contactless' and 'visa debit' aren't necessarily synonymous, but just interested to hear where you heard.

Mort

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bank of Ireland is to introduce a new cashless payment method to Irish customers later this year when it issues its new "contactless" Visa Debit cards.

The bank said the cards are aimed at small transactions, limited to €15, and will enable customers to pay for smaller items in stores in less than a second, simply by holding the card over a reader in the shop.

Almost one million of the cards, which use a technology called Near-Field Communications, will be issued to customers in the second half of the year.

The bank said there are additional security features in the new card that would stop it being used by unauthorised people. The card can only be used a certain number of times or for a certain value before a PIN is required.

More than 20 million of the contactless debit cards are already being used in Europe, but this is the first time they will be implemented here.

"Contactless technology is a key development in promoting electronic payment methods for low value transactions," said Bank of Ireland's head of consumer segments Quentin Teggin. "The consumer and retailer appetite is evidenced by the fact that Visa Europe recently announced that Visa contactless card numbers in issue in the UK are predicted to increase from 13 to 20 million by the end of 2011."

More than 60,000 retail outlets in the UK currently use the technology, and Visa Europe said weekly spending using this method was expected to double by the end of the year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0706/breaking36.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Mort5000 wrote: »
    Hi Dotsman,

Do you have a source/link for that AIB info?
    I've been pestering them for ages about whether they're moving to Visa Debit and they just keep saying 'no plans'.
    Yeah, I know 'contactless' and 'visa debit' aren't necessarily synonymous, but just interested to hear where you heard.

Mort

Unfortunately, not really! AIB are ridiculous for press releases. They most likely won't announce until it's actually being rolled out. But they have been replacing all their POS terminals for the past year with contactless ones in line with Zapa technologies. I even read an article in one of the papers just last sunday about it, but for the life of me, can't remember which one.

Oh, and your local branch staff will find out about at the same time as the public. It's always the way. You'd swear it was some top-secret plan they were devising, but everybody who analyses the situation knows they are doing it.

dotsman wrote: »

oh ok. So I just presume we'll be posted out a new card or something? And the same chip and pin system we're using now applies yeah? No change of pin or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I was in at the bank last week and the girl at BOI said the would be rolling out the cards this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I was in at the bank last week and the girl at BOI said the would be rolling out the cards this month.

Dunno where she got this info from but the bank will advertise it in the media and tell the staff at least 2 months in advance and they keep saying late 2011 in all their press releases so dont be surprised if you dont see it before september if not october.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

I have an UB Visa debit since last year and I cannot get it to: 1/ purchase online, and I am not talking about some obscure site, this was Aer Lingus, VHI travel ins etc and 2/ use it in any ATM in the Balkans ( Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro) where we went last week. I went into the bank today and very nice girl said it was possibly a faulty card BUT the same thing had happened in the past year and I was issued with a new card in May this year. Upshot was, she destroyed the card and I am now waiting for 10 days for a new card and all the withdrawals from the ATM's on holidays using the credit card and their charges may be looked at!!!
    Anyone ever hear of this before?? I am a bit fed up of the whole thing and want my old laser card back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh and by the way, will the UB cards have this "wave your card at a screen" thingy? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I was in BOI last week to request a replacement for my laser which had developed a bit of a crack and while I was there, I thought I'd ask did they do visa debit cards. Cue me spending 5 mins explaining the concept of visa debit cards to a :eek: looking customer service lady :D she then told me "no they did no such thing, though they sound great" :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Bank workers don't seem to be all that informed when it comes to changes. I joined UB shortly before they changed to Visa Debit. I rang them one day to ask them when they were changing to Visa Debit. The man on the phone told me that it would be at least 3 months before they changeover - I received my Visa Debit card in the post 2 days later. It turns out they had already changed over, the official date coincidentally the same day I rang!

Can't complain though - have had nothing but good experiences with the Ulster Bank Visa Debit card! Works everywhere that I've tried online!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

little ma wrote: »
    I have an UB Visa debit since last year and I cannot get it to: 1/ purchase online, and I am not talking about some obscure site, this was Aer Lingus, VHI travel ins etc and 2/ use it in any ATM in the Balkans ( Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro) where we went last week. I went into the bank today and very nice girl said it was possibly a faulty card BUT the same thing had happened in the past year and I was issued with a new card in May this year. Upshot was, she destroyed the card and I am now waiting for 10 days for a new card and all the withdrawals from the ATM's on holidays using the credit card and their charges may be looked at!!!
    Anyone ever hear of this before?? I am a bit fed up of the whole thing and want my old laser card back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh and by the way, will the UB cards have this "wave your card at a screen" thingy? Just wondering.

I have had my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card for over a year and I use it everywhere.

My mate works in the Ulster Bank Head Office in Belfast and he has one of the contactless cards, apparently staff had these cards issued to them as a trial so they could use them in their own canteen. He says they are expecting to start issuing them to customers early next year but I doesn't know if that will include the South. I would be surprised if it was only in the North but it would probably make sense for them to start there since the big UK retailers will include the North when they start accepting the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 boppob

I was in BOI last week to request a replacement for my laser which had developed a bit of a crack and while I was there, I thought I'd ask did they do visa debit cards. Cue me spending 5 mins explaining the concept of visa debit cards to a :eek: looking customer service lady :D she then told me "no they did no such thing, though they sound great" :o

I had pretty much this same conversation a while back with staff and a manager in a boi, and they hadn't an idea or even heard of visa debit, I left with them pretty much thinking I was mistaken that such a thing exists.:(

Do you guys know if the contactless ones will be optional or if all the visa debits will be them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Nowso wrote: »

Something tell me that sites info is pretty much wrong they would of announced the roll out of the card by now if they were going to issue it in July!! it will be more like the 31st of December that way they can still say they released it in late 2011 like they said last year when they announced it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Does anyone know if BOI Laser cards are changing to Visa Debit cards? If so when?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement