Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

after getting a new laser this year that is not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

i know we have all heard rumours and conflicting info from boi but has there been any official statement in the last few weeks about a 2012 introduction date? i feel like a kid at xmas, all this waiting is driving me crazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Im sure there is a press release due soon the regulations state they need to put one in the papers or national media 2 months before they change anything like laser to visa debit so if it the announcement is out this month then the cards will be out late jan/ early feb, and if it comes in december make that feb/ march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Bank of Ireland staff will be issued with the first trial debit cards in mid January. This is a period to let staff use and report any issues that the new card may throw up.

Regular customers will receive theirs in due course. BTW , Visa debits will be issued automatically so long as you have logged activity on the laser before December the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭RichT

RichT wrote: »
    I was getting pi55ed off with waiting to find out when this was finally going to happen, and getting no joy from the two different branches I asked in. So I emailed them last night demanding to know a better date than "second half of the year."

They rang me back earlier saying they are definetley rolling them out during November, and everyone should have one before Christmas.

Shall we all hold our breath?

So..... I emailed them again last night. Once again a swift reply, but that is as good as it gets.

I can confirm that we will not getting a Visa Debit Card this side of Christmas. They 'hope' :pac: to be running them out in January. I asked "can you confirm it will definetley be January?" Their response was "NO."

That's me and BOI done with.

I'm so annoyed with them, but more so myself for actually believing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

RichT wrote: »
    So..... I emailed them again last night. Once again a swift reply, but that is as good as it gets.

I can confirm that we will not getting a Visa Debit Card this side of Christmas. They 'hope' :pac: to be running them out in January. I asked "can you confirm it will definetley be January?" Their response was "NO."

That's me and BOI done with.

I'm so annoyed with them, but more so myself for actually believing them.

They told me today in an email that they will be rolled out between January and June 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

BOI Macroom said to me when i just ordered my new laser card that Jan 2012 was the Visa Debit release date.

Seems to be getting further away!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

sitstill wrote: »
    They told me today in an email that they will be rolled out between January and June 2012.

june !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Nowso wrote: »
    june !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes between January and June they have close to a million current account customers then they have business customers too and will have to continue printing normal atm cards all that time as well as encode and emboss them too. So once they start in Jan I think June would be a reasonable time to have the roll out finished!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I loves my ptsb visa debit :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Can I ask if you all need one in such a rush, why you did not move to Halifax in 2006 or just Ulster or PTSB in the last year? I wouldn't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

So now they are officially working on the same time frame as AIB?

Unbelievable.

As if they had given themselves such a specific and immediate target to aim for... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Have any of them seen the light of day yet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Sorry, but what's the obsession with the BOI Visa Debit card?

Have a PTSB one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Sorry, but what's the obsession with the BOI Visa Debit card?

Have a PTSB one myself.

Me too. I couldnt be bothered waiting for Boi to get off their arse's and start rolling em out, so i switched to ptsb. Up your's BOI!:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got sick of waiting for BOI visa debits so moved to Ulster, the "also coming soon" card launch just got tiring. Shame really as I've been with them for about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Just rang BOI there. They said if you don't have a Laser card already, you can apply for the Visa Debit Card after the 31st January.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Or you can switch to PTSB and have your visa debit card in a matter of days.

Sucks to be BOI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ad in today's Indo from BoI, advertising the fact that the new Visa Debit cards will be released from end of Jan through June. Finally going to happen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

If someone "loses" their Laser card on or after the 31 of January, would they be given a Visa Debit instead?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Got sick of of waiting so I just got a BOI credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭RichT

Got my shiny new Visa Debit Card in the post today. :)

BOI?......... No, don't be silly.

Went into my local Ulster Bank and opened an account last Thursday, and as of today I'm back in the 21st century,and free banking too!

Still anyoyed with myself for not doing this ages ago.

BOI........JOG ON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

... the MasterCard from Bishopstown Credit Union.

Believe me I have looked around at most of those available on the market and by far it is the best. My top 5 reasons for getting it over any other card:

1. NO Charges for using it
    2. It does everything so I dont need any other card - I get paid into the account and use it for all my day to day current account needs
    3. I get a text alert each time i use it letting me know the transaction amount and my new balance
    4. You can only spend what is in your account.
    5. It doesn't line the pockets of the bankers

It is amazing that a Credit Union can manage to offer this yet the banks offer inferior products and charge for them. It would be well worth your while checking them out on www.debitcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gadhafi

Hi there,

Just wondering what's the story with the BOI visa debit cards, have they started issuing them yet? What's the difference between them and laser?

I have a laser card at the minute but I hear the visa debit is good for buying online. Is it useble with paypal?

I only ordered my laser card a couple of last month, but from what people have told me, Im better off with a visa debit. I'd be delighted if any of you could enlighten me :)

appreciate it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

My Laser expires in Feb 2012 would I be issued with a new Debit Card before then?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have a laser card at the minute but I hear the visa debit is good for buying online. Is it useble with paypal?

Visa debit is accepted virtually everywhere Visa credit cards are, online, offline, at home, abroad - this is the major difference between them and Laser.
    I only ordered my laser card a couple of last month, but from what people have told me, Im better off with a visa debit. I'd be delighted if any of you could enlighten me

You can't order Visa Debit cards with BOI at the moment. They'll start automatically replacing Laser cards early next year, however.
    My Laser expires in Feb 2012 would I be issued with a new Debit Card before then?

If BOI keep to their expected timeframe, you should get issued with a Visa Debit card when your current one is due to be replaced.

BuffyBot wrote: »

If BOI keep to their expected timeframe, you should get issued with a Visa Debit card when your current one is due to be replaced.

Great post thanks.

Just want to quote what you said above, my laser doesn't expire till oct/13 :O does that mean il be one of the last to get a visa debit?

I was In the bank today, the manager told me they'd be issuing them January and they'd be posting them out the laser card holders then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How quick it is replaced depends on what their timeframe is. New cards, and cards due for replacement would be issued first, however people will have cards that expire in 2013/2014 which I would expect would be replaced long before their expiry date as batches and batches more people are converted over.

Thanks for the reply

Do you think that if I "lost" my laser card in january, I'd get one quicker than I would If I didn't "lose" it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Aug2009 wrote: »
    ... the MasterCard from Bishopstown Credit Union.

Believe me I have looked around at most of those available on the market and by far it is the best. My top 5 reasons for getting it over any other card:

1. NO Charges for using it
    2. It does everything so I dont need any other card - I get paid into the account and use it for all my day to day current account needs
    3. I get a text alert each time i use it letting me know the transaction amount and my new balance
    4. You can only spend what is in your account.
    5. It doesn't line the pockets of the bankers

It is amazing that a Credit Union can manage to offer this yet the banks offer inferior products and charge for them. It would be well worth your while checking them out on www.debitcard.ie

They're not part of the clearing system. Get a cheque from them and you'll see that the credit union's account is held with a bank...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement